• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we stop putting fucking cornrows as one of like (maybe) 3 black hair options?

troyP.jpg

I GOT CURLY ASS HAIR DAMN YOU.

WHY CAN'T I HAVE THIS IN A GAME?

Yea, I'm a white dude and that's my hair. I'd love to have it. Also tips for keeping it tangle/rediculous volume free... lol

Probably should just use freaking palmade or something.

afros are the most fun hairstyle to rock in every game you play imo

especially San Andreas, goes from Boyz n the hood to dolemite

but ofc more hair options for black people would be great, especially in japanese games where every black guy looks like this
snoop-dogg-is-now-a-white-guy-named-todd-4.jpg

Steel

Banned
But I like using cornrows on my characters occasionally....

Oddly enough, I'm definitely a curly head, but I never put curly hair on my characters, even if there's an option. Kinda hate curly hair, tbh.

I think it's just a lot harder to make curly hair look good in game?

As a curly haired white guy I feel some of your frustration.

I don't think I've ever been able to make a character in any game look like me lol.

Lime

The only way this is going to happen is if black people start joining the gaming industry in bigger numbers. It's the same with the movie industry. The only way black/asian/latino people get more representation is if they're the ones actually making the games.

How do you expect white devs to know what black people want in games? Or Japanese devs to know...anything about black people?

Game devs have no trouble creating dragons and zombies, so why should other types of hair be difficult or out of reach?

zelas

Game devs have no trouble creating dragons and zombies, so why should other types of hair be difficult or out of reach?
Yeah, we already know they can use google to steal the likeness of ofhers. Surely some of the on site research money they're using to fly around the world can be used to take a trip to a barber shop/salon.

Village

To be fair to matenece, do you see the insane shit that people walk into battle with, as far as hair is concerned, particularly in japanese games.

That said, give me more options. Why the fuck are dread locks a gender locked option in ff14, also why the fuck aren't there more dreadlock option in video games. I mean good ones with like pony tails or you can control the thickness of the dreads

trixx

Cornrows are classic no matter what time it is. Lead not follow

I wish I could get cornrows but imma have to stick with the fade

blakep267

Also I really like what The coalition did with Dels hair. Like when you use his character as a meat shield and really look at his hair, it looks great

As a caramel skin Afro-Latino these devs also need to include different types of skin colors. When making my character in Ghost Recon Wildlands I had to go with the brother variant because there was no character with my skin tone or a close proximity to my facial features. The Division was the worst, the Hispanic choice looked Mexican and I'm like, I don't fucking look like that.

I don't mind when a narrative driven game has a character that does not look like me, but I do find it annoying when a game has a character creation tool (especially one in which you have to choose from pre-made characters) and they do not have a model to properly represent you. White folks don't have this issue. Latinos should not either.
I wanna say Subset overdrive had a good skin color scale with a lot of options. It's probably the first game I was able to make a character that I actually liked and respresentes me somewhat

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For real. I mean, they should keep it as an option, of course, but add more hair styles. It's always a pain trying to create myself and so I usually just go with the shaved head or bald.

Daingurse

The problem ain't cornows. The problem is there are never enough decent hair choices for black avatars in games. Few games give you much to work with. I've just kinda had to accept what I'm given.

This is why I fucks with Dragons dogma. They got hairstyles out the ass. Including many black and asian ones.

Only game I know of that has a dread lock pony tail.

XANhVv3.jpg

1T1EDAG.jpg

So this is my guy is Inquisition:

Look. At. This. Fucking. Hairline. Seriously, one of their artists worked on that.

Bioware, please.

Ugh, man, dont even get me fucking started on that game. was so disappointed with the game's hairstyles for men, that I had no choice but to go bald when creating a black male. After like a good hour, I just ended up deleting that character and creating a whole new character and went female instead.

But Bioware is making up for it after seeing Liams hair from ME Andromeda. Its actually looks good.

NewGame

Banned
1) Easy to model and animate
2) Avoid a lot of clipping issues
3) Look good at a distance
4) Better than all these gross floppy undercuts

Gattsu25

Banned
This is why I fucks with Dragons dogma. They got hairstyles out the ass. Including many black and asian ones.

Only game I know of that has a dread lock pony tail.

XANhVv3.jpg

1T1EDAG.jpg
My pawn up front, main character in the back:
24335077912_5a9a6e5682_o.jpg

The graphics are pretty low-fidelity due to the age of the game but they really set out to give some good hair options.

Anth0ny

Its not even a matter of tech anymore, just that no other genre outside of sports games really does anything to fill this void:

Don't get me started on hair options for black women in games.

this is amazing and 2K should let everyone use their hair tech for the good of mankind

Cynar

If you put character customization in then they should just give all hairstyles to all characters no matter the race or gender. If I'm a white dude why can't I have dreads? If I'm black why can't I have flowing curly hair?

Unless it's aliens or orcs and it's actually thematic. For humans they should be accessible for all no matter the ethnicity or gender.

If you put character customization in then they should just give all hairstyles to all characters no matter the race or gender. If I'm a white dude why can't I have dreads? If I'm black why can't I have flowing curly hair?

Unless it's aliens or orcs and it's actually thematic. For humans they should be accessible for all no matter the ethnicity or gender.

Well yeah what game have hairstyles locked by race?

The hair option is often enough the sole reason why I play females in most games or whatever other option they have.

Fuck animal crossing btw

Peterpan

They should just google black hair cuts if they don't know about black haircuts. I mean a high top fade is the common thing these day, yet we can't even get that most of the time. The fades mostly look bad in video games if they put them in because the textures of the haircuts are usually bad. I just put a cap on my character if I can.

Coreda

Was reminded of this thread looking into the upcoming Playerunknown's Battleground game. Found this GIF on their blog featuring the black female character with curly hair.

tLhEgII.gif

From what I've read there's a character customization option so it will interesting to see what other styles are available.

Jezan

I don't understand why many games lock the hairstyles to certain character types and most of the time anyone who is not white gets just like 3 options while white characters get 10.

I want my black character to have the long curly hair, give me more options than afro or cornrows.

Also as someone said before (I forgot to quote), Bethesda hair mods are great, there are not many options to begin with.

Mephala

More options in general would be appreciated but black hair types are definitely under represented.

Black hairstyles are lacking in just about every game it seems.

For my part, I'd love the super long, down-to-the-backside hair like mine. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is the only one with this option that I've found.

I always laugh when the "long" hair option is like, a puny ponytail or unbound but barely past the shoulders. Bitch please, that ain't long hair!

I'd like to see more of this too but I think a lot of developers would try to avoid it because hair physics and clipping can be annoying. I don't mind hair clipping in armor somewhat but I think long hair that doesn't have any physics is more annoying..

I really liked the character creator in DD. There was a couple of nice long hair options and Quina? your NPC friend from the starter village had great hair.

Top Bottom