• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we stop putting fucking cornrows as one of like (maybe) 3 black hair options?

Infinite

Corn rows are pretty popular as a style and it's like the go to protective style aside from a two strand twist so I'm not sure what you're on about there OP. However I agree devs need to put in more a lot more than like 3 black hairstyles. You're pretty much limited to the comical Afro, corn rows, and pseudo locs but removing cornrows from the equation is dumb

Lutherian

I want to be able to choose a lot of African hair styles in games with character creation tools.

The main character of the book I'm currently writing have a very close ressemblance with Drill Queen (at least on this cover : )

51MDmYWK%2BuL._SS500.jpg

I would l.o.v.e. to be able to have a similar hair style in any game where I can create a character, but I can't.

vsbizarro

Banned
Am I Kawhi Leonard? No! It's 2017 man. Cornrows are not a popular black hairstyle. Developers stop putting this shit into games.

I mean is this shit easy to render or what? Do developers just forget and then they're like oh shit black people I forgot...

You know how much maintenance cornrows take? Who's taking that shit into combat?

God damn.

Being Kawhi Leonard or even Jordan, this is called representativeness. The recommended is a variety of hair, cuz is not because I'm black I use an cornrow.

And about maintance...wtf? Did you consider this for white people hair? Every hair have an kind of maintance. Or did u expect Luna's hair has grown like a diva?

For god sake, this posts sicks me

Tumle

Being Kawhi Leonard or even Jordan, this is called representativeness. The recommended is a variety of hair, cuz is not because I'm black I use an cornrow.

And about maintance...wtf? Did you consider this for white people hair? Every hair have an kind of maintance. Or did u expect Luna's hair has grown like a diva?

Yes don’t hurt the white mans feelings!!
Wow you really don’t like posting on GAF huh?
Coming into a thread about the lack of options for black hairstyles.. and your main complaint is that white people do hair maintenance too?
Why was that even worth pointing out?

What?

Tell us how you really feel.

no.

they should add a lot more styles, not drop one just drop one you don;'t have.

in fact corn rows should have sliders to adjust how many rows and how long the ends are.

vsbizarro

Banned
Yes don't hurt the white mans feelings!!
Wow you really don't like posting on GAF huh?
Coming into a thread about the lack of options for black hairstyles.. and your main complaint is that white people do hair maintenance too?
Why was that even worth pointing out?

No man, perhaps was as a misunderstood.

WE NEED MORE OPTIONS OF BLACK HAIR!

Was ironic (about white people hair)

Yeah. It’s compounded, imo, because most games have a really weird looking render of cornrows. It looks almost like a helmet the character is wearing.

jacobeid

Banned
Agreed wholheartedly. Probably less important, but I would really appreciate more beard options too. I've worn a long beard for years but few games give me the option to create a character that looks like me so I end up just going with something randomized. That or I play as a women when given the option.

Keep cornrows, add more hairstyles.

Also as a test for all the people who keep saying that it doesn’t matter/etc, I wonder what would happen if an AAA game came out and it had like 50 obviously black hair styles and haircuts and like 1 for non black male characters (a chili bowl or a fashy) and one for non black female characters (two pig tails) as well as a ton of other small cues that shows basically no time was spent on the non black characters.

Also, companies should start paying attention to small details. You can always tell when a black characters were an afterthought or not and how much effort was put into them by the number of hair styles, the hands and feet (palms and bottoms of feet are usually a slightly different color than the skin exposed to sun all the time), and the facial and body hair ( if that’s an option)

Souls games are one of the worst offenders, where you can spend hours fine-tuning every detail of your appearance in dozens of different screens to make exactly the person you want, and then you go to hairstyles and it's like 20 options and your choices are basically white people haircuts, shaved head, or maybe like 1 braid option that kind of works.

Damerman

Eh no they should keep it. Just add more hairstyles. I was wearing braids every now and then 2 years ago when my hair was way longer.
Seriously its fucking ridiculous. Im playing mass effect andromeda and that shit is borderline racist. There is like 4 varieties of hitler youth haircuts but like one fro, one ceasar and imman shumpert braids. Wtf?

forrest

formerly nacire
This has definitely been a problem for a long time and it's nice to see when a developer takes the time to include more options.

I always hate when there are skin color options for various races, but no selectable physical features for said skin tones. It looks like a bunch of white people running around dipped in paint.

Arkage

Banned
As someone who works in high poverty inner city areas, I see plenty of kids (k-8) with cornrows. I'm thinking this might be divided along income lines or highly localized community levels.

But more choice is always good as far as character creators, so yea there should be more.

I'm glad whenever I don't have to have some spikey anime hair, and just pick the shorter option, but I can never do cornrows because of how ass they always look.

Is the short mohawk still okay? I think it looks cool.

If it were up to me I'd point game designers to a handful of Instagram accounts I've seen with some amazing black hairstyles.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Souls games are one of the worst offenders, where you can spend hours fine-tuning every detail of your appearance in dozens of different screens to make exactly the person you want, and then you go to hairstyles and it's like 20 options and your choices are basically white people haircuts, shaved head, or maybe like 1 braid option that kind of works.

Dark Souls 2 has decent cornrows >_>

cyress8

Banned
Oh wow, those are nice. Guild Wars has historically done right by Africa, GW1 had an entire African/ME-themed expansion which was tight as hell, so this isn't out of character for them at all.
The new expac is great. Fucking beautiful. They have done an excellent job for making a desert interesting and gorgeous.

NoKisum

I knew this thread looked familiar. And picking up South Park this week didn't help. At least Stick of Truth gave me cornrows, but with Fractured, I didn't even have that option. In terms of games I have on my immediate radar, I can only imagine the lack of options Pokémon USUM and Monster Hunter World will have.

Did... did you just "All Lives Matter" us?

I'm fine with them as an option. But they're often THE option. There are rarely locs, for example, and if you get them, you get the most generic looking style, and that's it. Same with afros.

BajiBoxer

Banned

That is one hell of an overreaction to a post about cornrows.

DirtyLarry

One day, probably in GTA, you will be able to not only visit the barber shop, but cut hair as well. A full barber shop simulator. Would be pretty amazing to see the different styles people would come up with. Think Forza liverys but hairstyles instead.

Top Bottom