• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about Hans Zimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, no TDKR spoilers. If you need to talk about that film's score in relation to the action on screen, please do so with proper tags and in the vaguest possible terms.

Anyway.

I'm a big fan of film scores, although I wouldn't consider myself an expert or particularly knowledgeable fan or anything. I just like interesting soundtracks, and some of my earliest music memories involve film scores. I know that Hans Zimmer has quite a huge catalog, including romantic comedies and other weird stuff as well as the bombastic stuff he's known for. I picked up the TDKR soundtrack last night and, I have to say, it's pretty disappointing. I know James Newton Howard collaborated with him on Begins, and I gotta say, from the sound of things he really kept Zimmer in line. TDKR's score (at least in album form, I remember liking it just fine in the film) just sounds like a series of rumbles and drums with no real form played over the themes from Begins. The only real interesting flavor on the whole album is the chanting stuff from the trailers, and it's only worked into a few tracks sparingly.

Here's the thing, though... Zimmer is no talentless hack. He'll score anything if you pay him enough, it seems, but he's not bad at writing music.

The Dark Knight - Why So Serious?

I know this is still in Newton Howard territory, but if I remember right this theme was mostly Zimmer's idea. It's scratchy and tense and instantly recognizable.

Sherlock Holmes - Discombobulate

There's some typical Zimmer bass-abuse here, but there's also a catchy, quirky melody played on an instrument that stands out from the low wash. I had this shit stuck in my head for days after seeing the movie, and while the album on its own isn't fantastic, the score has some nice variations and it mostly feels right. Bonus points for the London bell chime that he incorporates during this track: Psychological Recovery... Six Months

The Thin Red Line - Journey to the Line

Once again, it has the Zimmer qualities that usually make my eyes roll - low rumbly bass at all times, a healthy helping of brass swells - but it's far more restrained, and the heights it reaches during its peak feel earned, thanks to the slow nature of the film, the album, and the track itself.

Inception - Dream is Collapsing

Hello, bass storm. Hello, wall of fucking brass horns. Still, the use of electric guitar at the beginning (and occasionally throughout the score) adds a lot to this soundtrack, and gives it a unique sound... every now at then, at least. The fact that the score incorporates the Edith Pfiaf song central to the plot is also awesome. I actually think this soundtrack suffered from being performed by Zimmer's usual crew (which I assume is an army of 500 french horns and 1000 cello players) - the actual themes are fantastic, but they're played in such an overwrought, silly fashion. Proof/bonus: Time played by one man with a guitar pedal.

There's tons more, probably even films I've seen without realizing Zimmer scored them. I just... dunno with this guy. I have a very love/hate relationship with his scores, and the fact that he's just so ubiquitous (not to mention the fact that it seems like many other composers are hopping on his ALL BASS ALL THE TIME train) doesn't help me appreciate his work much more. But then he goes and does interesting work every now and then - not always stuff that I like, but at least stuff that I can appreciate rather than tune out.

Anyone else have strong feelings one way or the other about his music? Favorite/least favorite scores and tracks, etc?

dagZ

inception's music hit me harder than any other movie ever has. I got into the movie so much more.

I do miss the more somber sound of Batman Begins' soundtrack. I feel as though it did the best job of capturing Bruce's character and would have liked to have heard more in that vein whenever Bruce was featured in both TDK and TDKR.

Xeke

Banned
MN0075955.gif

He is inferior to John Williams.

Yo, Zimmer's TDKR score...kinda ass. He gave into his worst excess, where he just gives a lot of scenes this listless rumble/drone, so everything has the same feeling, never ratcheting up or building off the tension or energy. And sometimes he just goes too damn big and it overbearing on the actual scene.

But the mothafucker did the Lion King OST, man. Eternal props.

I do miss the more somber sound of Batman Begins' soundtrack. I feel as though it did the best job of capturing Bruce's character and would have liked to have heard more in that vein whenever Bruce was featured in both TDK and TDKR.

To add to my earlier statement. Zimmer is incredible but I feel like Howard brought a lot to the table in BB and I missed it in the subsequent two films.

Yo, Zimmer's TDKR score...kinda ass. He gave into his worst excess, where he just gives a lot of scenes this listless rumble/drone, so everything has the same feeling, never ratcheting up or building off the tension or energy. And sometimes he just goes too damn big and it overbearing on the actual scene.

But the mothafucker did the Lion King OST, man. Eternal props.

He does so damn many scores I feel like he just kind of ploops them out after breakfast, lunch, and dinner or something. I just don't get it.

To add to my earlier statement. Zimmer is incredible but I feel like Howard brought a lot to the table in BB and I missed it in the subsequent two films.

Howard worked on at least some of TDK though, I thought? Enough to be credited on the cover at least.

I will
thank
whoever can link me to a clean version of that unsettling tune that plays in most of TDKR's trailers. I can link one of the trailers that has that tune in it, but I'm weirded out it's seemingly not on the official soundtrack... Can't even remember if it's in the final film or not.

Howard worked on at least some of TDK though, I thought? Enough to be credited on the cover at least.

He did. I feel like BB was 60%+ Zimmer and 40% or less Howard. TDK felt like it was 80% Zimmer. I feel that Howard wasn't allowed much input in the second film which is why he did not come back for the third. I know his stated reason for not coming back is different.

I will
thank
whoever can link me to a clean version of that unsettling tune that plays in most of TDKR's trailers. I can link one of the trailers that has that tune in it, but I'm weirded out it's seemingly not on the official soundtrack... Can't even remember if it's in the final film or not.

The piano theme?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
His OST for Thin Red Line was great. Journey to the Line is one of my favourites from the disc.

His "obvious" music for the big films can get tiring sometimes, in the same way that all soundtrack composers end up doing the same thing over and over again, but I like these big bombastic ones from various action movies.

From Black Hawk Down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcxQfCZ_9V8

From The Rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVWYTDGB0c

And from Modern Warfare 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXnBOPM4TR8

His OST for Thin Red Line was great. Journey to the Line is one of my favourites from the disc.

His "obvious" music for the big films can get tiring sometimes, in the same way that all soundtrack composers end up doing the same thing over and over again, but I like these big bombastic ones from various action movies.

From Black Hawk Down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcxQfCZ_9V8

From The Rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVWYTDGB0c

And from Modern Warfare 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXnBOPM4TR8

Oh, I totally forgot he did Black Hawk Down. That film has some great music in it, too. His Modern Warfare work (he just contributed the theme, right?) just sounds like Zimmers zimmering on the zimmerphone.

He does so damn many scores I feel like he just kind of ploops them out after breakfast, lunch, and dinner or something. I just don't get it.

Yeah, I think he works on so many damn scores that some of them just feel like auto-pilot or greatest hits version. Very disappointed with his work on TDKR, wish he would have brought his A-Game for that one.

I'm looking forward to his score for Man of Steel, and I admire that he realized he's got to do something different from John Williams. I mean, whatever he does is never gonna match up to that iconic theme, but it can still be great in it's own way.

Anyway, time for Gladiator

Dead

well not really...yet
When hes good hes great, but he often phones it in and isnt averse to self plagiarism.

Inception is a massively fucking incredible score though.

TDKR score worked well within the film, but it didn't introduce anything much unlike TDK and the Joker theme. Still some awesome parts in it, but a bit of a let down after Inception, I think he shot his load on that one.

Lijik

Yeah, I think he works on so many damn scores that some of them just feel like auto-pilot or greatest hits version. Very disappointed with his work on TDKR, wish he would have brought his A-Game for that one.

I haven't seen TDKR yet but I felt this way about his work in Madagascar 3.
His score was the only saving grace in Madagascar 2, but 3 is just a lazy rehash of the first two films' scores with some uninspiring new themes.

jb1234

I like Hans Zimmer when he's embracing his full symphony orchestra side (Lion King, Pirates 3). I don't like Hans Zimmer when he ditches the woodwinds, ups the cellos and makes his orchestra sound like a rock band (All three Batman scores).

He also has a habit of farming off his scores to other composers so you can never be quite sure if a cue is actually his.

~Kinggi~

Banned
If someone were to list all his scores, it would be damn impressive. He has wide range and is very talented. Has something for everyone.

He also has a habit of farming off his scores to other composers so you can never be quite sure if a cue is actually his.

Really? Got a source on this? Sounds interesting. I remember hearing rumors that Klaus Badelt was a false name or something when Pirates came out (I actually like the themes in that soundtrack) but they seemed a bit ludicrous.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Really? Got a source on this? Sounds interesting. I remember hearing rumors that Klaus Badelt was a false name or something when Pirates came out (I actually like the themes in that soundtrack) but they seemed a bit ludicrous.

I only remember him doing that for a short while in the 90s when he had this studio set up for him. From what i know he hasnt done that in a long time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, I totally forgot he did Black Hawk Down. That film has some great music in it, too. His Modern Warfare work (he just contributed the theme, right?) just sounds like Zimmers zimmering on the zimmerphone.
Yeah, his MW2 music really isn't anything to write home about, but as background game music it works fine. It helps that I played so much of it online that the guitar riffs based on the soundtrack are basically ingrained into my memory. lol

jb1234

Most of his scores have "additional music by" credits. For instance, Dark Knight Rises:

Additional music and arrangements by: Lorne Balfe
Tom Holkenborg
Andrew Kawczynski
Jasha Klebe
Steve Mazzaro
Ramin Djawadi

Inception has Lorne Balfe as a co-composed credit, as does Dark Knight and Angels and Demons.

If I remember correctly, Zimmer wrote the Pirates 1 score, but don't quote me on that.

Most of his scores have "additional music by" credits. For instance, Dark Knight Rises:

Additional music and arrangements by: Lorne Balfe
Tom Holkenborg
Andrew Kawczynski
Jasha Klebe
Steve Mazzaro
Ramin Djawadi

Inception has Lorne Balfe as a co-composed credit.

If I remember correctly, Zimmer wrote the Pirates 1 score, but don't quote me on that.

HE DID 'DRIVING WITH THE TOP DOWN' FROM IRON MAN which imo is one of the best comic book hero theme songs ever composed. It seriously is way up there with Zimmer's Batman stuff and Elfman's Spidey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PhfUsFvj0

SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom