• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about Hans Zimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Nolan described it best when he said Zimmer is a minimalist composer who works with very big sounds.

The music is super simple, it often builds layers upon layers, and everything is very structured. Yet, it's performed and presented in a very grandiose fashion. I think it works. More complex music would just get lost in the spectacle of sound.

CFMOORE!

Hans Zimmer really is the man. I've been a fan of his for probably the last 20 years or so. As many have pointed out, Time, is probably my absolute favorite track of his in recent memory.

But to discuss Batman and not include the amazing Shirley Walker makes me want to punch you fools!

The Birth of Batman is still one of the best visuals and musical queues for Bruce becoming Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8hhY1R-qgc

Most of his scores have "additional music by" credits. For instance, Dark Knight Rises:

Additional music and arrangements by: Lorne Balfe
Tom Holkenborg
Andrew Kawczynski
Jasha Klebe
Steve Mazzaro
Ramin Djawadi

Inception has Lorne Balfe as a co-composed credit, as does Dark Knight and Angels and Demons.

If I remember correctly, Zimmer wrote the Pirates 1 score, but don't quote me on that.

He did the sequels... Klaus Badelt is responsible for the first pirates score. Not a very well known composer, but he has credits in some pretty well known productions (the most well known probably being The Recruit? :p)

WillyFive

Hans Zimmer is cool because his music struck a cord with normal people, he makes music people of a wide range of tastes can like; very much like how John Williams used to do it. Although John Williams' music is in a whole 'nother universe of quality than his, it's really great seeing a composer with so many fans and works.

Valhelm

contribute something
MN0075955.gif

He is inferior to John Williams.

The two are completely different. While both of them try to create music with a somewhat bombastic, occasionally mystical feel, Williams' music is quite straightforward, very melodic, certainly more memorable, and altogether conventional. There's not much of a difference between the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter themes and romantic music. Star Wars' and Indiana Jones' soundtracks in particular ape the sound film serials from the 1930s and '40s, with their heroic feel, use of major scales, and powerful melodies.

Hans Zimmer writes music that synthesizes the conventional "Hollywood strings" style of music with rock, electronics, and other popular modern genres. His scores are almost always very rhythm-heavy and harmonious, but much more forgettable. Hans Zimmer isn't a poor composer, he's amazing, but Williams' music is (usually) more memorable, mainly due to its format. While I'm not sure if Zimmer is less talented than his more famous rival, the two are really, really different.

Personally, I think that Howard Shore (he composed for Lord of the Rings, The Aviator, and Hugo) is way more similar to John Williams than Hans Zimmer is. Shore and Zimmer both have that aforementioned emphasis on stirring themes, which makes their music really powerful and memorable.

The two are completely different. While both of them try to create music with a somewhat bombastic, occasionally mystical feel, Williams' music is quite straightforward, very melodic, certainly more memorable, and altogether conventional. There's not much of a difference between the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter themes and romantic music. Star Wars' and Indiana Jones' soundtracks in particular ape the sound film serials from the 1930s and '40s, with their heroic feel, use of major scales, and powerful melodies.

Hans Zimmer writes music that synthesizes the conventional "Hollywood strings" style of music with rock, electronics, and other popular modern genres. His scores are almost always very rhythm-heavy and harmonious, but much more forgettable. Hans Zimmer isn't a poor composer, he's amazing, but Williams' music is (usually) more memorable, mainly due to its format. While I'm not sure if Zimmer is less talented than his more famous rival, the two are really, really different.

Personally, I think that Howard Shore (he composed for Lord of the Rings, The Aviator, and Hugo) is way more similar to John Williams than Hans Zimmer is. Shore and Zimmer both have that aforementioned emphasis on stirring themes, which makes their music really powerful and memorable.
Very astute observation, thanks! They're very different, I prefer Zimmer more for the rock edge. Why So Serious is pretty much industrial noise rock which I love.

BARKSTAR

Banned
How about some superb 80's cheese with 'Days of Thunder' or 'Black Rain'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibTN7K93HAc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-VbyU9DUM

The theme song he created for the Contender series used to really pump me up for the show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBLRM0xgnUM

I've always loved Hans Zimmer and I am very greatful for how much these composers can bring their work and add so much emotion to the movies we love. I think many people even like bad movies more than they know they should thanks to the soundtracks that can accompany them.

Maxim726X

Zimmer is the reason I can still watch Inception and love it each time.

Absolutely brilliant soundtrack... And you can call it emotionally manipulative or whatever you want, but Zimmer's soundtrack kicks into gear when it's supposed to.

jb1234

His score to The Time Machine is amazing. (Though some think it's ripped off from Jerry Goldsmith's The Edge.)

The main theme is, definitely. I'm inclined to call it more a case of temp-track love. The director probably fell in love with the temp music and asked Badelt to make a theme as close as possible to Goldsmith's.

Hans Zimmer isn't a poor composer, he's amazing, but Williams' music is (usually) more memorable, mainly due to its format. While I'm not sure if Zimmer is less talented than his more famous rival, the two are really, really different.

In terms of sheer technique, Williams blows Zimmer out of the water. There's just no comparison. He's a better melodist, more adventurous with his harmonies and has a MUCH better grasp of the orchestra.

(Jerry Goldsmith trumps both of them. I wish he was still around.)

I really like Hans Zimmer. He makes a lot of great soundtracks, like Inception, The Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. To be honest one of my favourite sounds tracks by him has been Modern Warfare 2, the campaigns and multiplayers music was awesome. I wish they brought him again for MW3, that sound track was so...terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom