• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about how good Starcraft: Brood War's soundtrack was?

ScOULaris

NrW1vng.jpg

The Starcraft: Remastered announcement along with an incoming update for classic Brood War that will make the core game free-to-play has gotten me hyped beyond belief. Brood War is one of my all-time favorite games, and I've played it on-and-off for the last 15 years.

Being in a Brood War mood currently, I found myself listening to the original soundtrack on YouTube and taking note of how good it was and still is.

A common criticism (among many others) of Starcraft 2 is that it failed to cultivate the same gritty sci-fi atmosphere that the original was known for. Starcraft 1 had that late-90's Paul Verhoeven brand of intergalactic sci-fi that I think resonates with a lot of people who lived through that era. SC1's Terran structures and armaments felt heavy and metallic, where everything was technologically advanced yet bulky and cumbersome. It was like a cross between Starship Troopers and Killzone's Helghast. The Zerg were convincingly menacing and alien, again sharing some similarities with the bugs from Starship Troopers while also having plenty of traits distinct to Blizzard's original creation. Finally, the Protoss were a believably advanced alien race with telepathic powers and architecture/weapons that glistened and glimmered as a testament to their technological accomplishments.

And after all of these years playing Brood War it occurred to me that I've probably heard its individual tracks more times than maybe any other in gaming history. The game's handful of compositions fit their respective races perfectly, and I feel that they heavily contributed to the game's memorable atmosphere.

Have a listen to some of the tracks linked below and bask in that moody sci-fi goodness:

Terran Tracks
Zerg Tracks
Protoss Tracks

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Kade

StarCraft's music is something I'll never forget. I actually liked the Terran music from StarCraft II a lot and thought some of the songs were just as good as the StarCraft ones but I can't even remember any of the Zerg and Protoss music.

Woorloog

Banned
StarCraft's music is something I'll never forget. I actually liked the Terran music from StarCraft II a lot and thought some of the songs were just as good as the StarCraft ones but I can't even remember any of the Zerg and Protoss music.

Actually have this opinion.

Terran 4 from Starcraft 1 is best though, the track added in Brood War.

Draft

Brood War is a gold standard "keyboard" soundtrack. I personally feel like gaming soundtracks lost a lot of character when they all went orchestral.

There aren't any tracks in Wings or HotS that stand out, but I do think Legacy had a really killer track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qe1o4RZ9lk

Still nothing as good as Terran themes from Brood War.

woopWOOP

arent those from the original SC not specifically BW?
Most of them are yeah, but each side got that 4th track with BW

I always liked the first 2 minutes of the 'Zerg 2' track. Also Protoss 4.
Starcraft's soundtrack is pretty great, but seems it gets hardly mentioned whenever there's a music thread

Pat

I didn't play the game since over 10 years ago, but every time I hear some Brood War music, it's literally a nostalgia kick in the face.

DarkKyo

Terran music is some of the GOAT. It has a really amazing "progressive frontier" feel to it that's so unique. There's nothing else quite like it, and I'd like to think that's objective outside of how much nostalgia I feel when I listen to it.

Xyphie

Terran 1 = GOAT

Still remember first time I watched Fight Club and heard the Zerg Briefing Room music, so weird.

Prelude.

It's good, but there aren't a lot of tracks in the game, so it's normal that a track that gets played for a billion hours gets stuck more easily than one of the many in SC2.

Starcraft 1's soundtrack is the GOAT. Listening to it today brings me back to when I was 13 and just utterly absorbed into that game.

Was so disappointed by SC2's soundtrack. It just pales in comparison.

Terran 1 and Zerg 2 are the standouts to me.

nkarafo

This is probably my favorite game soundtrack of all time.

Edit: I heard they are going to remaster it. I hope it's the same, only with better quality.

Top Bottom