• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Kills Penny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good riddance. I don't remember the last time that I even paid for anything with pennies. I always end up leaving them for someone else to take. I don't want to fill my pocket up with small change.

gohepcat

Banned
Why are people so excited about this? Sounds like some weirdo futurist masturbating to me. Getting rid of coins doesn't suddenly make the world better.

Also, what happens when you buy produce and are supposed to get 4 cents back in change? Just... Oh well?

For me personally, the penny is a perfect example of illogical waist. They cost 1.8 cents to make. They are a drain on the economy. It should be a no brainer.

explodet

Bumping this, as the penny will start seeing its first death throes:
http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/phasing-out-the-penny-6900002
Important Dates
To help consumers, businesses, charities and financial institutions to plan, a transition date of February 4, 2013 has been set after which the Royal Canadian Mint will no longer distribute pennies.

On this date, businesses will be encouraged to begin rounding cash transactions.
All the info in the OP still applies.

penny-rounding-example_e.jpg

I pay by credit card for everything anyways so this doesn't affect me. I guess I've got to find a use for the leftover pennies I have though... I wonder hoe much change is in my piggybank right now. Last time I had a good amount of change I put it all in a plastic bag and let the guy at the eb games counter sort it out lol.

slit

Is there anything that prevents businesses from always rounding up?

If not, then the rounding down example doesn't even need to be shown.

Edit: nvm, I see how they're doing it.

Jeff Gerstmann would launch your Canadian-arse into the sun.

Seriously though, I am still pro-penny. I already get stiffed change. Like say my bill comes to 5.22. So I give the person a ten-dollar bill, a quarter and two pennies. I should get $5.05 back, right? I have already had people give me a five-dollar bill back and then tell me, "dont worry about it", or just give me the 5 dollar bill and give me a blank stare as to why I am still standing there... What the hell?

Shambles

What kind of a Canadian still uses non-electronic currency? Tim's started allowing debit a while ago.

As time goes on I find myself using cash more and more. With the recent trend of stores trying to only allow returns on the exact card the purchase was made on it only makes sense to buy using cash because they're going to be huge pricks when you go to take something back that your wife bought, or that you got as a gift, or that was purchased on a card you no longer have. I don't even know if that practice is legal, but people put up with it so it's becoming more common. Usually you can eventually force the point to get money back from them but it may take a while.

For places where you don't care about returns you usually care more about fraud. Gas pumps, and restaurant readers are prime targets for skimmers. I've already had my debit copied and drained once. I'd rather not go through that again. Plus paying with a card when I go out to eat with a bunch of friends is a pain to sort out the bill. I much prefer just throwing my cash on the table and being able to walk away.

this should make working at Tim Hortons easier, especially when the lines get big in the mornings. Counting cash, plus seeing the horde of customers used to make me so nervous...

all their prices are so messed up

Zoe

As time goes on I find myself using cash more and more. With the recent trend of stores trying to only allow returns on the exact card the purchase was made on it only makes sense to buy using cash because they're going to be huge pricks when you go to take something back that your wife bought, or that you got as a gift, or that was purchased on a card you no longer have. I don't even know if that practice is legal, but people put up with it so it's becoming more common. Usually you can eventually force the point to get money back from them but it may take a while.

Why would that be illegal? It's standard procedure to prevent scammers.

Reasonable stores would allow you an exchange or store credit if it's a gift, but there's nothing in the law books that should force them to do so.

black_13

Banned
I doubt major business would round down. These companies are so cheap they are either gonna set the prices so they can always round up or change the prices so everything rounds evenly in .00, .10, .20 etc...

That's how movie tickets are priced. Even though the movie ticket price is sort of an odd number ($11.876) , with tax (.05%) it become more even ($12.50) and no pennies are necessary.

I doubt major business would round down. These companies are so cheap they are either gonna set the prices so they can always round up or change the prices so everything rounds evenly in .00, .10, .20 etc...

That's how movie tickets are priced. Even though the movie ticket price is sort of an odd number ($11.876) , with tax (.05%) it become more even ($12.50) and no pennies are necessary.
This... I feel like this is all going to go in the companies favor.

kennah

Sadly there's only a few good poutine places in Kitchenerloo

It is the only poutinerie in Winnipeg. I got so excited - then I ate there :(

My wife is from Quebec, so we just make it at home, but it would be nice to go out once in a while

sammich

Now watch everything in every store start costing something that ends in a .*3,.*4, .*8, .*9 so that they can round up and make some extra few pennies on everything. Doesnt really matter to debit/credit as you are playing exact pricing.

Currently mostly everything already ends in .99, so they immediately make 1 C profit from doing nothing.

HoodWinked

i want there to be a master RNG machine where the rounding is random it will be like a game everytime you purchase something

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I live in a country that uses the euro and wish they'd get rid of the 5 cent coins. fucking garbage. 10 cents are pretty worthless as well.

Kreven

Now watch everything in every store start costing something that ends in a .*3,.*4, .*8, .*9 so that they can round up and make some extra few pennies on everything. Doesnt really matter to debit/credit as you are playing exact pricing.

Currently mostly everything already ends in .99, so they immediately make 1 C profit from doing nothing.

I don't understand this train of thoughts.

People will still buy multiple items at stores like they always did and the final amount with taxes will still be a 'random' number that will be rounded-up 50% of the time, and rounded-down 50% of the time.

The only way stores can take advantage of this is if their business model makes it so that people only purchase one item/thing at a time. Even then, it can't be something that's the same price nationally as the taxation amount is different in most provinces.

Pakkidis

Pretty much what I thought of when I read this.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Stores probably save more in time not wasted counting and stocking pennies. I'm glad they're going away, I have to purge them every few months or so or else my wallet becomes unpleasant to carry in my pocket.

Fjord

New Zealand has also killed the nickel and the other day I learned they even use 'Swedish rounding' where 5s go down, $9.45->$9.40.

Shambles

Why would that be illegal? It's standard procedure to prevent scammers.

Reasonable stores would allow you an exchange or store credit if it's a gift, but there's nothing in the law books that should force them to do so.

If you're worried about scammers there is the store scamming you themself. If I have my proof of purchase (The receipt) and am coming back within a reasonable amount of time after making the purchase there is absolutely no real reason for them to refuse a return other than trying to screw people over. When the product is still within perfect packaging there is nothing preventing the store from putting the item back on the shelf and selling it once again to someone else. At first stores started to use the excuse that it had to be the 'same sort of card' so that their books would balance. Now it's clear that's a load of bullcrap as they've slowly been trying to prevent people from returning items altogether. At least hardware stores tend to be reasonable about returns still. I've simply started to avoid some of the worst offenders that I've run into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom