• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada sees 'unsustainable' spike in asylum seekers at U.S. border

TORONTO/MONTREAL (Reuters) - The number of asylum seekers who illegally crossed the U.S. border into Canada more than tripled last month, according to Canadian government data released on Thursday, as migrants worried about the U.S. administration's immigration crackdown head north.

More than 3,100 people walked across the border illegally in July to file refugee claims and were arrested, up from 884 in June, the federal government said.

Ninety-six percent of them went to Quebec, where an influx of asylum seekers, primarily Haitians, is sparking a backlash from opposition politicians and anti-immigrant groups in the primarily French-speaking province.

In the first 15 days of August, an additional 3,800 asylum seekers were arrested crossing the U.S. border into Quebec, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.

More than 1,000 people are living in tents and government facilities at a Lacolle, Quebec border crossing across from upstate New York.

"It's not a crisis. It's a situation that is extraordinary. But it's well-managed," Transport Minister Marc Garneau told reporters in Lacolle on Thursday.

Canada is struggling to house and provide social assistance for the influx of asylum seekers as its refugee system faces the worst delays in years.

The Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), which is responsible for hearing all asylum claims, has redeployed resources to deal with the Quebec arrivals.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...615c&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

So some Haitians were granted 'protected status' in 2010, but it's going to expire soon. It looks like this current admin did extend it, but only for 6 months. And it looks like they aren't going to be extending it again.

Honestly, I think more should have been done. These people have been hear for nearly 10 years, something better should have been worked out.

The desperation to evade Trump is very real.

It's not so much Trump, but the fact that many Haitians protected status is expiring. So they'd need to return to Haiti or in this case try to get into Canada. Though I admit Trump is not helping anyone.

So, Canada will likely do the same thing that led the people to run to Canada to begin with? I thought you guys took in anybody with open arms

Daedardus

Canada's program granting Haitian nationals temporary refuge ended last year (before the us's) so most will probably be rejected as Canada considers Haiti safe now.

Yep, an influx of asylum seekers doesn't mean there will be a huge spike of granted asylums yet.

Probably a big rise in "GTFO of my country" attitudes.
Pretty much.

There's also lot of people here who have legitimately emigrated to Canada and are trying hard to get other loved ones to come along. Their applications are now delayed by YEARS in many cases, because of the load the refugee situation is putting on the system. Meanwhile people are just walking across. So there's quite a bit of frustration for people in that situation.

PSYGN

So, Canada will likely do the same thing that led the people to run to Canada to begin with? I thought you guys took in anybody with open arms

Not anybody. I remember ignorantly thinking I could just travel up north there (this was in 2015), fill out some papers and become a citizen. If I remember correctly, to up your chances you had to speak French as a secondary language, come from a war-torn country seeking asylum, have millions of dollars, have family that already lives there, or attend school there and hope you find a job in time where the company has to prove that they first couldn't find a Canadian that was as qualified for the job as you were.

ApharmdX

Banned
Not anybody. I remember ignorantly thinking I could just travel up north there (this was in 2015), fill out some papers and become a citizen. If I remember correctly, to up your chances you had to speak French as a secondary language, come from a war-torn country seeking asylum, have millions of dollars, have family that already lives there, or attend school there and hope you find a job in time where the company has to prove that they first couldn't find a Canadian that was as qualified for the job as you were.

Yeah, it's tough to become a Canadian citizen. I'm looking at moving my family up there and even though I work in a desired field I'm not sure we'll get in. Wish I had millions to invest, lol.

Pretty much.

There's also lot of people here who have legitimately emigrated to Canada and are trying hard to get other loved ones to come along. Their applications are now delayed by YEARS in many cases, because of the load the refugee situation is putting on the system. Meanwhile people are just walking across. So there's quite a bit of frustration for people in that situation.

This is indeed very frustrating. I have family members being heavily delayed from very difficult situations because of this very thing. Has some people absolutely furious.

There just needs to be a better process, which would unfortunately cost time and money.

Madness

That is the biggest misconception of Canada and why so many are coming. There are literally whatsapp messages being sent amongst groups come to canada thwy're giving you free money to settle.

Canada didn't get a sustainable immigration plan and good healthcare for all by being stupid and allowing thousands and thousands of unchecked and unfetted masses for showing up. It's not Canada's fault what Germany is facing or what the US has long faced from Mexico and Latin American countries.

Canada has robust refugee policies, and liberal immigration policies, but it isn't absolute. And Trump is having a negative intended consequence where thousands are now coming from Minnesota into Manitoba or into Quebec and Ontario. We're seeing the same anti-immigrant rise. A lot of it has to do with Canada removing the Haiti resettlement process deeming it safe, and because the ones who were in the US under Bush and Obama now feel likely to be deported under Trump.

That is the biggest misconception of Canada and why so many are coming. There are literally whatsapp messages being sent amongst groups come to canada thwy're giving you free money to settle.

Canada didn't get a sustainable immigration plan and good healthcare for all by being stupid and allowing thousands and thousands of unchecked and unfetted masses for showing up. It's not Canada's fault what Germany is facing or what the US has long faced from Mexico and Latin American countries.

Canada has robust refugee policies, and liberal immigration policies, but it isn't absolute. And Trump is having a negative intended consequence where thousands are now coming from Minnesota into Manitoba or into Quebec and Ontario. We're seeing the same anti-immigrant rise. A lot of it has to do with Canada removing the Haiti resettlement process deeming it safe, and because the ones who were in the US under Bush and Obama now feel likely to be deported under Trump.

The US is pretty much the prime example that immgration is actually good for your economy, so I'm not quite sure what your point is. That's also true for Germany btw.

Parch

Not just family members, but thousands of others who legitimately trying to emigrate Canada. Walking across the border is basically line cutting in front of countless others who are going through the proper channels and applying for emigration legally.

Just because you don't like it in the US means you qualify for protected or refugee status in Canada. You can emigrate to Canada if you qualify. Just get in line like everybody else.

Lol, stupid? I'm not sure if you're trying to say Germany is in chaos, because it really isn't that bad there at all, and have now in fact got a handle on things. In fact the people responsible for the handling of the refugees are going to be reelected with a strong majority. Humans are going to migrate, and will continue to do so like they have always have done throughout human history.

These people have done it legally already, and now face having the rug being pulled out from under them. Don't want them to come? Then blame the governments that run their countries. They are the ones failing their citizens after all.

Top Bottom