• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Federal Task Force on Marijuana Legalization shares report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sec.the...tional-marijuana/article33307322/?service=amp

Federal task force recommends marijuana be sold at store front and mail order

Minimum legal age would be 18, must be sold away from schools and not with alcohol

Canadians could carry up to 30 grams and grow four plants at home

Liberals to table legalization bill in the spring
Canadian adults over the age of 18 will be able to carry up to 30 grams of marijuana for recreational purposes – and grow up to four plants in their homes – under the legal model recommended by a federally appointed task force.

More at the link.

Viewt

Mostly common-sense stuff. This part kinda made me laugh:

The group of experts, chaired by former Liberal minister Anne McLellan, is also recommending that high-potency products be more heavily taxed, to “discourage” their use in the general public.

"Whoa whoa whoa. This icky is waaaay too sticky. You gotta pony up another loonie, my man."

Starviper

The group of experts, chaired by former Liberal minister Anne McLellan, is also recommending that high-potency products be more heavily taxed, to “discourage” their use in the general public.

Maaan I paid double tax for this dank shiz

darscot

I have to admit I may grab a light and grow again. I dunno if it will be as fun now that it's legal but I enjoyed growing it. Used to love coming home from work and going into grow room, the air is so oxygen rich and it grows so fast you can see the difference in 24 hours. I dunno what I would do with it all though, I smoke a couple times a year when I hit the movies with my buddies.

Wonder when the legalization goes through. With the timing of the announcement earlier this year, I always mused they're actually planning for around 4/20.

darscot

Wonder when the legalization goes through. With the timing of the announcement earlier Thai year, I always mused they're actually planning for around 4/20.

Ha ha if you're probably right and would be awesome and kinda Canadian to legalize on that day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seems like a reasonable first cut. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Roll out legalization and sort out regulatory tweaks to the number of plants or specific product guidelines later once emerging issues become clear. Same as anywhere else considering this.

Ac30

Wonder when the legalization goes through. With the timing of the announcement earlier Thai year, I always mused they're actually planning for around 4/20.

Liberal approval rates would go sky high alongside the populace and everyone will be so stoned they'll forget about electoral reform. Devious! :p

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I hate the smell though. Hope my neighbours don't start smoking too much. Our building strata actually just recently talked about this.

_Ryo_

Wait, if weed is easy to grow and if anyone can just grow their own 4 plants at a time why would anyone buy it when it at the store fronts? Retail weed will be heavily taxed so I don't understand the appeal of obtaining it that way.

The only factor I see affecting this choice is time, which weed can take months to grow, and well, admittedly I know next to nothing about growing, smoking or consuming weed other than the health studies and recreational merit.

Seik

Banned
I'm alright with this.

Bad for the pocket, because it'll cost me probably more money for less weed, but the money will go in the community at least.

big_z

I hate the smell though. Hope my neighbours don't start smoking too much. Our building strata actually just recently talked about this.

Ya I'm a bit worried myself. Cops in my city don't really care so you smell it often as is. Once it's legal it'll only get worse.

Viewt

Wait, if weed is easy to grow and if anyone can just grow their own 4 plants at a time why would anyone buy it when it at the store fronts? Retail weed will be heavily taxed so I don't understand the appeal of obtaining it that way.

The only factor I see affecting this choice is time, which weed can take months to grow, and well, admittedly I know next to nothing about growing, smoking or consuming weed other than the health studies and recreational merit.

I think a lot (hell, probably most) people who partake only want some once in a while, so in those cases, it's not really worth the time for growing and maintaining a plant. The convenience factor to pop in, buy a joint/edible/3-gram baggy/etc, and walk out ready to go is a strong motivator. Plus, when the mood strikes you, you usually want some now, not when it's time to harvest.

I'm guessing most apartments will take the same approach as cigarettes. Combustion indoors will be a no-no. And vapor has a substantially more mild smell and dissipates quickly. But if people around your unit are doing bong rips and stankin' it up, I find most people are amenable to being more discrete when asked. Potheads are generally pretty chill. :p

CazTGG

They did actually make an announcement about it on 4/20 this year. So it could happen. But who knows, the date was probably coincidental and they'll just announce it whenever.

No, they certainly knew exactly what they were doing when they announced it on that day.

Anyway, this sounds alright as far as recommendations go. I have no interest in using marijuana myself but i'm all for legalizing it to both prevent people from being incarcerated for possession/usage/etc. of cannabis/getting those have been incarcerated for possession/usages/etc. plus allowing for new businesses (and thus jobs) to be opened across the country.

I'm honestly surprised they went with legal age at 18...Especially since the drinking age is 19 in most provinces, and that you would still be in your final year of highschool at 18

Wonder about concentrates and edibles. My biggest reason for wanting this shit legalized is so that I can have access to healthier methods of THC consumption, so I do hope they will allow for that.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

It's not that easy or cheap to grow good weed. You need to invest in a good quality setup and learn a thing or two. Also you might smoke more than four plants can provide in the time they take to grow, so people might have to buy a bit extra depending on their yield.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Ya I'm a bit worried myself. Cops in my city don't really care so you smell it often as is. Once it's legal it'll only get worse.
You in Vancouver too lol? I walk by a weed shop or two on my way to work in the morning and you can smell it a block away. Our strata manager in the building laughed when somebody complained about cigarette smells the other day and said wait till when weed becomes fully legal haha. But we do have a bylaw that says if people complain about your smoke smell (cigarette or weed), you can get fined for it. Hopefully that will help because the stinks stays forever :O

D1337

Banned
I'm all for legalizing. However I don't wanna see it allowed in public. I don't want to smell it everywhere

kevin1025

Banned
Wonder about concentrates and edibles. My biggest reason for wanting this shit legalized is so that I can have access to healthier methods of THC consumption, so I do hope they will allow for that.

They'll be part of it, I'm sure. If not, Youtube some pot cooking videos and you'll be good to go, haha.

Nibiru

Banned
Very reasonable. The most important thing is to choke out the illegal trade and if they make things too stringent then that avenue will still flourish.

DJ_Lae

Sounds fair.

I'm in once it's all set up, too, although I'll probably stick with edibles as I cannot stand the smell.

kswiston

Mostly common-sense stuff. This part kinda made me laugh:

"Whoa whoa whoa. This icky is waaaay too sticky. You gotta pony up another loonie, my man."

Don't they already do this with Alcohol? There's no real reason for a cheap bottle of wine to cost a third as much as a cheap bottle of whisky.

Unless this means that costs won't be linear with THC concentration.

So did they touch on public consumption? Can't walk around with open liquor so if we are making comparable laws does that mean it will be restricted to private residences and possibly "lounges" that are granted permits?

Kurdel

Banned
So did they touch on public consumption? Can't walk around with open liquor so if we are making comparable laws does that mean it will be restricted to private residences and possibly "lounges" that are granted permits?

I hope it is exactly the same as cigarettes.

What about hashish, the superior version of marijuana? Will people still have to buy that from criminals?

It's a by-product, so I am sure that would depend if we only legalize the sale of dried weed or a larger umbrella of derivative products aswell.

darscot

Very reasonable. The most important thing is to choke out the illegal trade and if they make things too stringent then that avenue will still flourish.

I have some concerns about them choking out the illegal trade. The illegal trade subsidizes low income and a much larger level than people realise. I hope the government actually funnels the money back down to the people that need it. I know a lot of single Mom, waitress types that trim as a side gig. Pot is a very social thing and all the little grow ups provide real income to people that need it.

What about hashish, the superior version of marijuana? Will people still have to buy that from criminals?

I assume there will be a market for all kinds of different preparations. I have a friend with a medical card and the stuff he can order off a website is some space age shit.

Sushi Nao

Can't wait to see what Kellie Lietch has to say about this.

I wonder how deep into Canadian conservatives that Republicans are - I can imagine their opposition to it on that influence. Or because conservativism lately is little but reflexively anti-liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom