• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

Not yet confirmed by the government.

The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.

CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.

[...]

Provinces to control sales

The federal government will be in charge of making sure the country's marijuana supply is safe and secure and Ottawa will license producers.
But the provinces will have the right to decide how the marijuana is distributed and sold. Provincial governments will also have the right to set price.

While Ottawa will set a minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana, the provinces will have the option of setting a higher age limit if they wish.

4 plants per household

As for Canadians who want to grow their own marijuana, they will be limited to four plants per household.

Legalizing marijuana was one of the more controversial promises Justin Trudeau made as he campaigned to become prime minister.

But in their platform the Liberals said it was necessary to "legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana" in order to keep drugs "out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals."

The Liberals had promised to introduce legislation by the Spring of 2017. Announcing the legislation the week of April 10 will allow the party to hit that deadline.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/liberal-legal-marijuana-pot-1.4041902

plane-taking-off.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
Made a vow a long while ago that I would try it when it's legal here in Canada, I'll follow through with it. Won't do any more drugs after that though.

Living in BC, we should have things pretty good in terms of how it is distributed and sold by the province. Even better if the NDP somehow get elected by a miracle this May.

Prax

So there's nothing I can do now about my neighbours who smoke that super stinky bud all summer?!?!

maybe they can make am unstinky strain... i really hope so since that stuff is annoying.

just make smoking weed in general looked down on as cigarette smoking already is..! none of that is good for your lungs anyway!

there is some bad news though.... fuckin' Provinces will have a say on how it can be dsitrubuted
Provinces to control sales

The federal government will be in charge of making sure the country's marijuana supply is safe and secure and Ottawa will license producers.

But the provinces will have the right to decide how the marijuana is distributed and sold. Provincial governments will also have the right to set price.

While Ottawa will set a minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana, the provinces will have the option of setting a higher age limit if they wish.
and we know that Provinces suck

Dr.Acula

Banned
July 1st, Canada day, how appropriate.

But 2018?

I guess with the election in October 2019, that gives them the whole year of tax revenues to point to.

kswiston

July 1st, Canada day, how appropriate.

But 2018?

I guess with the election in October 2019, that gives them the whole year of tax revenues to point to.

Make it legal in 2018. Force the Conservative Party to choose whether to piss off their anti-drugs base or their weed-smoking conservative base when they decide on their election platform.

jstripes

Banned
Provincial governments will also have the right to set price.

The government of Ontario's gonna love that.

Wonder how this is going to go over with US border guards. Will they be able to bar someone from entry to the US for consuming a substance that is legal in Canada? Because right now they can bar you for simply admitting that you have smoked it in the past.

Well, thats that, thank god. I can't wait for our society to be able to move forward to more important things than worrying about throwing people in jail for a stupid mostly-harmless plant.

Joeku

The government of Ontario's gonna love that.

Wonder how this is going to go over with US border guards. Will they be able to bar someone from entry to the US for consuming a substance that is legal in Canada?

Yuuup. That shit is going to be overpriced as hell here. Wouldn't want a reasonably priced alternative to alcohol, would we?

Also, as someone who is unfamiliar with growing it, just how much is 4 plants? It's that enough to have a steady cycle of growing your own and consuming it regularly and always having some ready to grow?

there is some bad news though.... fuckin' Provinces will have a say on how it can be dsitrubuted

and we know that Provinces suck

there's that typical Gutter Liberal Boner™ we all know and love

Ultimately, this is a provincial issue. They're the ones that are probably going to reap the lion's share of the profits.

jstripes

Banned
Yuuup. That shit is going to be overpriced as hell here. Wouldn't want a reasonably priced alternative to alcohol, would we?

Yup. If they're not careful, illegal trade in it may become an even bigger problem, like with contraband cigarettes.

sant

So the provincial governments are pretty much going to control the entire industry? It is going to be a shit show like liquor is then...great

CazTGG

The Liberals had promised to introduce legislation by the Spring of 2017. Announcing the legislation the week of April 10 will allow the party to hit that deadline.

Wait 10 days like you did last year. Yes, they really did announce it on 4/20.

I can't believe how backwards the American government is on this issue, good for Canada

Pretty sure more states have legalized marijuana than there are provinces.

Provinces should be abolished IMO

Embrace the Wynne.

Apathy

Man, how can we hold all this freedom

Make it legal in 2018. Force the Conservative Party to choose whether to piss off their anti-drugs base or their weed-smoking conservative base when they decide on their election platform.

This will be like the gay marriage issues. The good people of the country will have to drag the idiot conservatives, then they'll realize the country didn't devolve because it was passed and then they almost all forget about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom