• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Provinces should be abolished IMO

landscape-1489773501-andromeda.gif

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yes, and if you know me, I am against nationalisme and I find economic Provincial bounderies to be a hinderens to progress.

Nationalism aside, Western Canada and Quebec would each never accept a unitary state. Nobody likes being told what to do by Ontario as it is. Canada is too big and diverse not to be a federal country.

Yes, and if you know me, I am against nationalisme and I find economic Provincial bounderies to be a hinderens to progress.

And how do you expect Canada to work on a surface level? There are some things that need to be set by the provinces, that can't be done by the Feds.

Thankfully, we don't live in your reality where this could happen.

EDIT: What is said above is even more important.

It is not a bad idea. It is more difficult to do business between provinces than it is with other countries because of all the provincial bullshit.

Why the FUCK does every province have its own securities commission? Completely pointless.

you make a good point, it's an antiquated system. I also wish there were no states in America, it would be a wildly different country (for the better)

CazTGG

Ok, but America is a decade+ away from legalizing it nationwide. You can't compare states to provinces either as if here were an equal number for each

I could see a push for legalized marijuana as early as 2020 (maybe 2018 if the Dems were smart and topped off impeaching Trump for their midterm promises to galvanize their base who likely support decriminalizing and legalizing it), frankly. Either way, the number of states vs. provinces & territories fail to change one simple matter: There's been a lot more action on the state level for marijuana legalization in the U.S. than there has been in the provinces and territories of Canada.

CANADA MUST BE STOPPED

You're not the boss of us!

Ok, but America is a decade+ away from legalizing it nationwide. You can't compare states to provinces either as if here were an equal number for each

I think it'll be legalized in a majority of states within the next six or seven years. The tide is already starting to turn on it.

Hell, even a super red state like Arkansas just legalized medical marijuana.

Pancake Mix

Just because it's about to become legal, that's no reason to ignore the risks to your lungs from smoking dead plant matter. Not as dangerous as tobacco or alcohol perhaps, but of those perhaps more dangerous drugs, tobacco doesn't affect one's ability to drive significantly.

I hope there are strict laws about where to smoke them. I don't want to have to smell it from my neighbors' condos.

Likely the same smoking laws, so it depends on if it's legal for your neighbours to smoke in their condo.

If it somehow is, then that's going to smell horrible unless your landlord steps in.

So there's nothing I can do now about my neighbours who smoke that super stinky bud all summer?!?!

I find the smell of pot far far less offensive than cigarette smoke. Also, people tend to not just smoke weed all day everyday compared to cigarettes where it's common place for people to smoke every hour or more.

That said, yeah, smoking anything is bad news. Time to step into the 21st century and get a vaporizer.

I think it'll be legalized in a majority of states within the next six or seven years. The tide is already starting to turn on it.

Marajuana legalized in the southern belt within the next 6-7 years? how is that going to happen with Republicans having an iron fist control of the state governments?

I hope there are strict laws about where to smoke them. I don't want to have to smell it from my neighbors' condos.

I'm sure it'll be the same as cigarettes.

I'm glad it's happening, it would be nice to grow your own, but I bet it's going to be different for every province when it's legal.

Marajuana legalized in the southern belt within the next 6-7 years? how is that going to happen with Republicans having an iron fist control of the state governments?

I don't know. Ask Arkansas. Or Florida. Both Republican controlled states that just legalized it for medical use. Which, while not nearly full legalization, is a big step towards it.

And it may not be legalized in every southern state, but I bet it will be more than half the states in total.

Pancake Mix

I find the smell of pot far far less offensive than cigarette smoke. Also, people tend to not just smoke weed all day everyday compared to cigarettes where it's common place for people to smoke every hour or more.

That said, yeah, smoking anything is bad news. Time to step into the 21st century and get a vaporizer.

Then you've been acclimated to it. It smells like a skunk as opposed to nasty chemicals and leaves.

ZOONAMI

People drive high all the time as is. Testing THC levels is not propor yet because I would get a DUI yet I havent smoked in weeks.

Normal sobriety tests do the job well enough.

Usually it's relatively easy for a defense attorney to get a sobriety test thrown out, because sober people fail them at alarming rates. Also in a lot places you can legally refuse to take a sobriety test. Breathalyzer is the only thing you are required to do, and a lot of times only the one at the station, not a handheld one.

jstripes

Banned
This will be like the gay marriage issues. The good people of the country will have to drag the idiot conservatives, then they'll realize the country didn't devolve because it was passed and then they almost all forget about it

It's amazing how Canadian conservatives are the opposite of American conservatives on social issues. Once something here becomes law, they typically begrudgingly let it go and move on. In the States? They'll bitch and whine about it for decades.

Apathy

The gay marriage issue has zero health risk to anyone, zero impact except on those 2 individuals that want to get married and is a positive to the economy to be able industries can be built around gay weddings. That took the US 10 years to match what Canada did, and you still got a huge section of the population and states that try to fight it.

Believing that it's going to take another 10 years for the US to catch up when it comes to fully legalizing pot isn't out of the realm of possibility

It's amazing how Canadian conservatives are the opposite of American conservatives on social issues. Once something here becomes law, they typically begrudgingly let it go and move on. In the States? They'll bitch and whine about it for decades.

There are fringe people that fight it out. Harper had to backbench those that wanted to bring up abortion cause he knew it was a loosing battle, we got a few of the conservatives running now for leadership that want to fight same sex marriage. Luckily, those are becoming less and less common. Conservatives want to be about less government intervention in people's lives, they need to realize same sex issues fall under that

sant

you make a good point, it's an antiquated system. I also wish there were no states in America, it would be a wildly different country (for the better)

I don't think it would work in the US. The States are too much of your identity. Since most of the provinces are relatively new it would have a much better chance of success up here. Tho Quebec would have to be treated much differently (what else is new).

Then you've been acclimated to it. It smells like a skunk as opposed to nasty chemicals and leaves.

No, nothing to do with acclimating.

I distinctly remember as a kid thinking my uncles "herbal" cigarettes smelled much nicer than the turgid tobacco my parents smoked (which I've always been super sensitive to and hated). It wasn't for another decade odd that I actually found out what the smell was.

Smell preference and aversion is just a personal thing. Lot's of people hate the smell of coffee for example, but I really like it.

The gay marriage issue has zero health risk to anyone, zero impact except on those 2 individuals that want to get married and is a positive to the economy to be able industries can be built around gay weddings. That took the US 10 years to match what Canada did, and you still got a huge section of the population and states that try to fight it.

Believing that it's going to take another 10 years for the US to catch up when it comes to fully legalizing pot isn't out of the realm of possibility

Marijuana has momentum though. There were a ton of legalizations, medical or full, this past year, even in red states.

And plus, Republicans can talk themselves into marijuana because it can bring revenue. As seen many times before, money will make most of them flip. And it isn't something they will argue is as explicitly against their religion as they will with gay marriage.

Like, I guess I see the comparison, but I think they are two completely different issues in every way.

sikkinixx

Makes sense. Once 40% of our workforce is automated they'll have nothing left to do but sit around and spend their unemployment checks on marijuana

commedieu

Banned
Lol. Remember making fun of other countries. Esp Canada.

Bagged milk won

Very adult legislation. It's going to be hilarious to watch the dea still demonize pot. When Canada will thrive.

Wasn't this supposed to have happened already ? It keeps getting delayed from their initial promised date.
I feel like this is the Liberal party's version of Final Fantasy XV

jstripes

Banned
There are fringe people that fight it out. Harper had to backbench those that wanted to bring up abortion cause he knew it was a loosing battle, we got a few of the conservatives running now for leadership that want to fight same sex marriage. Luckily, those are becoming less and less common. Conservatives want to be about less government intervention in people's lives, they need to realize same sex issues fall under that

Another part of it is we have no bible belt whatsoever, and there's no right wing media machine. Conservative talk radio never became a thing here, and the Sun News cable network launched and quickly flamed out. We've got trash local right-leaning tabloids like the Sun, but their political impact is, generally, local. The National Post? It leans to the right, but is fairly restrained in its opinions.

Apathy

Wasn't this supposed to have happened already ? It keeps getting delayed from their initial promised date.
I feel like this is the Liberal party's version of Final Fantasy XV

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/philpott-un-marijuana-legislation-legalize-1.3544554

Federal legislation to legalize marijuana will be ready in a year, Canada's health minister told the UN at a special session of the General Assembly in New York today.

"We will introduce legislation in spring 2017 that ensures we keep marijuana out of the hands of children and profits out of the hands of criminals," Jane Philpott said in her prepared speech to delegates.

"We will work with law enforcement partners to encourage appropriate and proportionate criminal justice measures. We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem," she said.

Another part of it is we have no bible belt whatsoever, and there's no right wing media machine. Conservative talk radio never became a thing here, and the Sun News cable network launched and quickly flamed out. We've got trash local right-leaning tabloids like the Sun, but their political impact is, generally, local. The National Post? It leans to the right, but is fairly restrained in its opinions.

Which is great, and hope it stays that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom