• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcs

Banned
94228724.jpg

I don't think it would work in the US. The States are too much of your identity. Since most of the provinces are relatively new it would have a much better chance of success up here. Tho Quebec would have to be treated much differently (what else is new).

I don't think it would ever happen in the US, zero chance actually

just saying it would be better

Apathy

those sweet tax dollars,

those sweet tourism dollars,

those sweet drug enforcement cost savings,

More money for services, less innocent people clogging up the courts and jails for things they shouldn't be getting charged for. It's going to be a great 2018.

Zeke

Marajuana legalized in the southern belt within the next 6-7 years? how is that going to happen with Republicans having an iron fist control of the state governments?
I'd campaign on it being a cash crop for those rural states. Grow hemp, grow weed save the family farm! Put Jim Bob McDonald back to work!

CazTGG

It's amazing how Canadian conservatives are the opposite of American conservatives on social issues. Once something here becomes law, they typically begrudgingly let it go and move on. In the States? They'll bitch and whine about it for decades.

Eh, they'll undercut it at every turn (See: Harper not wanting to fund abortion globally, celebrating the War of 1812 over the Charter's 20th anniversary because "Diefenbaker did it first!" while whitewashing history, anything related to aboriginal people being worse) or move on to a different target for their regressive ire (re: moving from homophobic pandering in the early 2000s to banning the niqab/dehumanizing Muslims/opposing a motion to say Islamophobia is bad because "muh free peaches!" in the 2010s). They're wolves in sheep skin.

Another part of it is we have no bible belt whatsoever, and there's no right wing media machine. Conservative talk radio never became a thing here, and the Sun News cable network launched and quickly flamed out. We've got trash local right-leaning tabloids like the Sun, but their political impact is, generally, local. The National Post? It leans to the right, but is fairly restrained in its opinions.

Rebel Media.

BadHand

I wonder what will happen in that period between the legislation being voted into law an July 1st 2018. Whether it weeks or months, that's gotta be strange legal grey area because I can't imagine charges for possession sticking.

the1npc

I wonder what will happen in that period between the legislation being voted into law an July 1st 2018. Whether it weeks or months, that's gotta be strange legal grey area because I can't imagine charges for possession sticking.

Most of the staff at the illegal dispenserys get charges dropped as it is

hobozero

Been saying for a while, regardless of past performance, all the Liberals need to do to win the next election is legalize weed. And I say that as someone who doesn't smoke. It's a good move, and it will win a lot of goodwill with young voters (assuming, they, you know, VOTE).

Define "real winter".
Enough to build a snowman or have a snowball fight.... atleast that's been the case in Windsor for the past couple of years. It falls, but it all melts upon touching the ground. If it does manage to stay, its gone in a day or at worst a week.

When I was younger, the streets would turn to ice and there would be snowbanks a foot and a half tall. Haven't had one of those in a while, or practically forever now.
It almost makes you feel bad for kids today, not able to actually enjoy the winter for what it should be. Instead it's just a more shitty autumn with colder temperatures and the occasional snowfall

Apathy

Been saying for a while, regardless of past performance, all the Liberals need to do to win the next election is legalize weed. And I say that as someone who doesn't smoke. It's a good move, and it will win a lot of goodwill with young voters (assuming, they, you know, VOTE).

If they aren't to high that day and don't forget they had to go vote.

lupinko

Peter Julian was talking shit today before this dropped about how the Liberals and JT weren't going to legalize it. Dude needs to eat some massive crow.

Again from 2013.

https://youtu.be/BetOS0y9mNg

Lol and I've been trying to get rid of Peter Julian for years. It was only prior in the last election that I moved ridings.

I admit I respect the guy because I saw him reaching out at Edmonds Skytrain and we both went to the same high school.

But my roads were never taken care of during bizarro crazy winters, and I will always hold him to that.

Dazzler

Looking forward to BC taking a similarly cool and mature approach to weed as they do alcohol!

It'll be hidden under lock and key within BC liquor stores in reality

Tuck

Dunno why the date is so far off, but cool. I guess if they're leaving many of the details up to the provinces, they need the time to put the systems in place.

Meh. Hopefully this doesn't just get more people to start smoking. It seems people in this thread are going to start smoking just cause it's legal.

Apathy

Dunno why the date is so far off, but cool. I guess if they're leaving many of the details up to the provinces, they need the time to put the systems in place.

Part of it has to do with the actual changing of the laws and implementation of all the stuff around it (such as where you'll be purchasing it, whos going to be growing it). The submitting of the legislation and actually passing through the house of commons should not take that long in itself. It will give us a chance to get a lot of choice sound bites of conservatives opposing it so that'll be great, but passing it won't be an issue since they have a majority.

After it passes then we'll start getting the details for the next year or so on all the little details so that on that specific date they want to legalize it, they can make a big fuss about it with having all the lose ends tied up (hopefully)

I find the smell of pot far far less offensive than cigarette smoke. Also, people tend to not just smoke weed all day everyday compared to cigarettes where it's common place for people to smoke every hour or more.

That said, yeah, smoking anything is bad news. Time to step into the 21st century and get a vaporizer.

The problem is, when my neighbours smoke cigarettes, I don't notice it. When they smoke weed, if it's a hot summer day, it wafts into my house, which is BS. They also let their dog shit on my front lawn though, so I might just be annoyed with anything they do.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
In 2016 they worked on drafting the plan, in spring this year the plan gets put on the budget and it taking a year from that is really impressive to me.

Just two-ish years from beginning to end, I don't know why people expected anything faster

hobozero

Meh. Hopefully this doesn't just get more people to start smoking. It seems people in this thread are going to start smoking just cause it's legal.

As with any prohibition, when it's gone there will be an initial orgy of consumption. People who never smoked will try it, and people who already smoke will go cray-cray. It will normalize soon after when the novelty wears off, but yeah, be prepared to see, hear, and smell an annoying mount of weed for the first month or two.

Enh, more power to 'em. Some people will discover that it ain't for them, some people will go overboard, and some people will improve their quality of life drastically. I kind of hope my grandmother smokes up, she could use it.

Apathy

As with any prohibition, when it's gone there will be an initial orgy of consumption. People who never smoked will try it, and people who already smoke will go cray-cray. It will normalize soon after when the novelty wears off, but yeah, be prepared to see, hear, and smell an annoying mount of weed for the first month or two.

Enh, more power to 'em. Some people will discover that it ain't for them, some people will go overboard, and some people will improve their quality of life drastically. I kind of hope my grandmother smokes up, she could use it.

Reminds me of just normal drinking.

Before 19, drinking was cool cause I wasn't supposed to do it, at 19 I could actually hit up the LCBO or bar when I wanted and drank a lot, but slowly it bored me, Eventually I just drank socially which now means like once a month or less

If the gangs are losing m/billions in weed revenue you can bet there ass they are making that up in other ways.

Thats why next they need to go and legalize prostitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom