• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just got an offer from Futureshop because I have a PS4 preordered through them:

Preorder a Dual Shock 4 and get $20 off either Killzone or Knack. Offer only valid until Oct 22.
It's a generic code that anyone can use and it's valid at FS and BB.

YN6otcb.jpg

There's one for Xbox One also at BB. I don't know if the code also works at FS.

lcNaX8p.png

I got all excited when it said it was an Xbox One order confirmation, but it really didn't confirm anything.

Was hoping they were guaranteeing my order for the 22nd.

Mikey Jr.

Don't know if anyone gives a shit, but my Futureshop started setting up their Xbox One playable stand.

They only had Forza and its literally 1 lap and the demo ends.

The controller is........worse. I didn't test the d-pad, so I can't comment on that. But when you rest your fingers on the controller, the middle section of your index fingers rest on the bumpers. It does feel like their is a slight curve inward of the controller that is causing that. I could alleviate it by bringing my hand lower so that only really the tips of my finger are touching the triggers, but then my thumb is right on the edge of the left stick.

The rumble is cool, but I would disable it for racing probably. It was going the whole time essentially, and kind of got annoying after just 1 lap. I think it would work better for an FPS.

There was some hitching with the demo. The guy said it was because it was a dev console.

Overall though, it was decent. I personally don't think that if you loved the 360 pad, you will automatically love the Xbone pad. For me, the 360 pad feels better. There are improvements to the dpad, etc. But purely in terms of feel, the 360 pad is better. This was only with a few minutes hands on time mind you.

SickBoy

Guys, don't pay any attention to those Target clearance deals. I've been reading RFD and Target is just Zellers with a new coat of paint.

Razdek

Banned
Don't know if anyone gives a shit, but my Futureshop started setting up their Xbox One playable stand.

They only had Forza and its literally 1 lap and the demo ends.

The controller is........worse. I didn't test the d-pad, so I can't comment on that. But when you rest your fingers on the controller, the middle section of your index fingers rest on the bumpers. It does feel like their is a slight curve inward of the controller that is causing that. I could alleviate it by bringing my hand lower so that only really the tips of my finger are touching the triggers, but then my thumb is right on the edge of the left stick.

The rumble is cool, but I would disable it for racing probably. It was going the whole time essentially, and kind of got annoying after just 1 lap. I think it would work better for an FPS.

There was some hitching with the demo. The guy said it was because it was a dev console.

Overall though, it was decent. I personally don't think that if you loved the 360 pad, you will automatically love the Xbone pad. For me, the 360 pad feels better. There are improvements to the dpad, etc. But purely in terms of feel, the 360 pad is better. This was only with a few minutes hands on time mind you.

I disagree, I went to the Future Shop today and tried it out on both Forza and Killer Instinct and had no issues with the controller. It's a little smaller, the control sticks are a little looser than the 360s and the trigger travel isn't as far but it still felt comfortable. I had no troubles pulling off SF moves with the dpad and bumper combos.

The rumble is pretty neat and if games can find interesting uses for it I'll be happy. The demo games weren't too graphically impressive though and honestly could be done on current gen.

Just to add when I say I wasn't impressed with the graphics of the demos this also applies to what I've seen on the PS4. I'm not impressed with the graphics in Killzone or Knack either and think those could be done on current gen.

Wish I could order an xbone controller and get $20 of Killzone hahaha.

As for controller impressions: I played Forum at fan expo and thought it was pretty good.

Omlagus

Think we can use the Xbone controller on PS4? :eek: Are they both bluetooth or no?

I seriously doubt either MS or Sony would allow that. Only chance would be a third-party controller that mimics Xbone but is a PS4 controller. No idea if something like that would even exist.

Maybe if there are PS3 controllers that are similar to 360 ones it will give you an idea if something like that could be coming.

I hate that FS and BB are limiting the PS4 offer to Knack and KZ while with Xbone it goes with any game!!

Just checked RFD and someone posted their receipt buying 6 Vitas for 99$ each at Target, another one said a couple bought 12 of them, freakin hoarders!!

zroid

Banned
I hate that FS and BB are limiting the PS4 offer to Knack and KZ while with Xbone it goes with any game!!

Just checked RFD and someone posted their receipt buying 6 Vitas for 99$ each at Target, another one said a couple bought 12 of them, freakin hoarders!!

hey who knows, maybe he's giving them away as gifts, or selling them at cost to his friends
lol :\

Gadirok

This is why when I tend to find a physical deal I keep it between Canada CAG and here. Because there are way too many people on RFD who do these to make a quick buck and don't even care about video games.

I petitioned many times for a motion to move the preorder threads off of "hot deals" there since the WiiU thread from last year, yet many people continue it to today where Xbox One and PS4 preorder threads are up classified as hot deals just for the sake of scalping them to turn a profit. Some do it to make their console free. Others do it just for the hell of it and make a artificial shortage (it may seem small but when people preorder 6-10 units like they do and put them on ebay and classifieds, it messes up people who planned to buy at retail).

Nevertheless, I was happy when the WiiU supply was well met by Nintendo and most of these hoarders had to end up returning their units. Some even bought dozens. I know one guy had to return 20 units.

I hope the same thing happens for the PS4.

I don't have a problem with it unless it messes up with people who actually wanted to buy something at a decent price. And it has happened many times. Like the shop.ca thing was a limited 300 preorders but was sold out in a few hours. I don't think many scalpers got in on that but some may have very well done so.

Just my 2 cents... I'm more frustrated with the fact that (For what I believe) Tsilon was basically a casualty due to the direct effects of RFD shoppers who abused the promos and stacked with FS coupons when their policies were completely against it. And some made multiple accounts to get deals and make a profit. So many people abused Halo 4 like that and got it for $20-$10 when it launched and sold the dlc on ebay for profit.

krae_man

It's a generic code that anyone can use and it's valid at FS and BB.

YN6otcb.jpg

There's one for Xbox One also at BB. I don't know if the code also works at FS.

lcNaX8p.png

Pointless when we all preordered everything for $20 off already.

Future Tools of Destruction is also $5 and is in stock online.

Edit: Dammit, when did Jak and Daxter Trilogy for Vita get discounted to $5? RFD already cleared that one out:(

This is why when I tend to find a physical deal I keep it between Canada CAG and here. Because there are way too many people on RFD who do these to make a quick buck and don't even care about video games.

Nevertheless, I was happy when the WiiU supply was well met by Nintendo and most of these hoarders had to end up returning their units. Some even bought dozens. I know one guy had to return 20 units.

I don't have a problem with it unless it messes up with people who actually wanted to buy something at a decent price. And it has happened many times. Like the shop.ca thing was a limited 300 preorders but was sold out in a few hours. I don't think many scalpers got in on that but some may have very well done so.

Just my 2 cents... I'm more frustrated with the fact that (For what I believe) Tsilon was basically a casualty due to the direct effects of RFD .

I'm pretty sure they are watching all these forums looking for deals anyway lol
But I'm almost sure PS4 won't be the same as PS3, Sony is kinda determined to make a unit ready for almost everyone who wants one!
Shop.ca offer was redeemed multiple times by many people on RFD, some people have their ways like putting a webpage watch plugin that would alarm them once shop.ca puts a couple units up for preorder then they would snatch them lol
Enough whining though :D

But I'm almost sure PS4 won't be the same as PS3, Sony is kinda determined to make a unit ready for almost everyone who wants one!
Shop.ca offer was redeemed multiple times by many people on RFD, some people have their ways like putting a webpage watch plugin that would alarm them once shop.ca puts a couple units up for preorder then they would snatch them lol

Where can I get that plug-in, I'd only use it for good!

I don't know why, but it's just dawning on me now that I won't have my E3 preorders day 1 when I pick up my console. I'll have the PS+ stuff to play, but it won't be quite the same as firing up Killzone. This is actually kind of upsetting.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why, but it's just dawning on me now that I won't have my E3 preorders day 1 when I pick up my console. I'll have the PS+ stuff to play, but it won't be quite the same as firing up Killzone. This is actually kind of upsetting.

Buy Killzone for full price day 1, keep the receipt, and bring back your E3 copy with that receipt for a reimbursement when you receive it! ;)

lupinko

Any sales on older Pokemon games on DS? Like Black 2? I guess I'm SOL for SoulSilver, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum eh? So those I'd have to go craigslist or something.

Dazzler

I hope they are browsing these forums

Hi scumbags!!!

Would have bit on some of those 5 dollar PS3 games at FS/BB but nowhere in Vancouver had any in stock :(

soultron

Banned
Black 2 and White 2 $20 at Shoppers.
If you can find it, that is.

May have already been posted, but I saw 2for1 on games priced @$20 at TRU over lunch today. I saw decent stuff like Super Mario Galaxy 1 the could use it on, for example.

Think the deal ends on Thursday 24 October.

Wii Mini is also $10 off @ TRU, sells for $89.99.

TRU Dufferin Mall (Toronto) had some Pokemon 3DS units too, if anyone is looking for them.

zeitgeist

Think this might be a stupid question but I forget how tax works for PSN cards.

Do I get taxed when I but the cards in store? Or do I get taxed when I purchase on PSN?

Or is it both/neither?

EDIT: In ontario....

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Do I get taxed when I but the cards in store? Or do I get taxed when I purchase on PSN?

Or is it both/neither?

No tax in store or on PSN. For some reason Sony stopped charging tax... I'm not complaining though.

---

Any niche game nerds here, is any retailer getting Hometown Story other than Amazon? I have no idea why no one seems to be carrying it.

krae_man

Or is it both/neither?

You don't get charged when you buy the card. You are supposed to get charged when you buy stuff on PSN but Sony stopped charging tax on PSN after the store went back up after the hack. No idea why but ride the gravy train as long as it lasts.

khaaan

Any sales on older Pokemon games on DS? Like Black 2? I guess I'm SOL for SoulSilver, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum eh? So those I'd have to go craigslist or something.

If you can find a Shoppers Drug Mart that has them in stock you can get a decent deal on them. I went to one a few weeks ago and they had that among other things.

NolbertoS

I petitioned many times for a motion to move the preorder threads off of "hot deals" there since the WiiU thread from last year, yet many people continue it to today where Xbox One and PS4 preorder threads are up classified as hot deals just for the sake of scalping them to turn a profit. Some do it to make their console free. Others do it just for the hell of it and make a artificial shortage (it may seem small but when people preorder 6-10 units like they do and put them on ebay and classifieds, it messes up people who planned to buy at retail).

Just my 2 cents... I'm more frustrated with the fact that (For what I believe) Tsilon was basically a casualty due to the direct effects of RFD shoppers who abused the promos and stacked with FS coupons when their policies were completely against it. And some made multiple accounts to get deals and make a profit. So many people abused Halo 4 like that and got it for $20-$10 when it launched and sold the dlc on ebay for profit.

You'll always have hoarders everywhere, and I'm sure there not only limited to RFD. I think keeping it private at CAG, helps abit as not all RFDers looks up CAG or here, as CAG has more American deals than Canadian ones. I blame the store more then anything on not implementing a limit per one or two. I remember 3 years ago during Xmas, Zellers was sellimg DS Lites for clearance and there was a lineup and two Asian lady hoarders wanted to buy all 12 of the DS Lites remaining and some customers im the back started complaining and almost hurled insults at rhe ladies, which I'm sure were RFDers. The Cashier said No and they got mad and told them tl get a manager and thr manager limited 1 per person and in thr end, they quietly left fuming. I think just for that day, RFD hoarders got there karma.

Top Bottom