• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

krae_man

The Sony store here in Kitchener went out of business a few years ago. Everything was more expensive then Walmart and BestBuy that were in the same mall/across the street so it served absolutely no purpose and never had anyone in it.

zroid

Banned
Oh the Toys R Us flyer was advertising some Pokémon X/Y plushies/figures. The only price given was $14.99 for a "two figure set", but there were pictures of a Pikachu figure and an Yveltal plushie.

I really want some XY plushies.

jet1911

That seems like a pretty decent line up of demo software. I doubt Sony would want to show KZ since it's a pretty hard M rating what with all the brutal melee executions; this is a public demo station rather than a trade show.

I was not expecting Killzone but I was expecting more than indy titles and Knack... Driveclub or Need for Speed would have been nice.

I don't know about all of them, but I was told stores received a notice saying that they're allowed to sell any PS4 accessories they receive.
Just called a few stores in GTA. They said that they're selling all accessories and games as they arrive.

So far, they've only received Dualshock 4. More to come. Going to buy it and try it! :D

From what I hear, the XY guide is trash. No dex as you all probably knew (they're always sold separately) and no post-game content covered.

Yep, just got it and no dex in sight.

It is a lovely package though; the book is pretty and it comes with a XY screen-cleaning cloth (Xerneas and Yveltal on one side and the starters on the other) and a tiny poster of the map (the inside of the sleeve also has the map, go figure).

I got it for $17 at Game Shack in Toronto.

It'll be good for whenever I go back to the hospital, I can always use new gaming reading material. :) Which is rare for me nowadays (R.I.P Nintendo Power :'( ).

FrsDvl

For people looking to buy a vertical stand for their PS4. Bestbuy ( and i assume FS as well ) finally has them up on their site for 19,99$

RGM79

I was at the Sony Store at Richmond Centre. There was a PS4 on display as well, but nothing worth playing. The DS4 really is quite nice, and there was a DS3 on a charging cradle right next to it on the same platform so I could compare.

There was a photographer next to the PS4 taking shots of the TV displaying the PS4 kiosk interface, he didn't seem to be Sony staff, but the sales staff didn't seem to mind.

Which 3DS is going to be $150 at Shoppers? If its the XL, that's hot. I have a friend looking to pick one up.

I still can't believe that its been over a week since Pacific Rim came out and Best Buy STILL hasn't shipped my copy out. Its been in stock since last week, wtf are they doing.
It's OG; though with 20x points, you could say it's almost $60 off for anything if you just buy some games along with it. So Wii U basic will be $140; Vita will be $120. Buy I want an XL. Nintendo has them refurbished for $150; has anyone actually seen someone buying a refurbished system from Nintendo? I don't want them to ship me one with scratches on the screen.

Kud Dukan

A couple of my coworkers went out for lunch today and came back with a couple of PS4 controllers they bought at an EB Games in Kitchener. Those things are fantastic. I've never been a fan of the Playstation controllers, but these are a massive improvement. Can't wait to get my PS4 and try it out.

Sora_N

Yep, just got it and no dex in sight.

It is a lovely package though; the book is pretty and it comes with a XY screen-cleaning cloth (Xerneas and Yveltal on one side and the starters on the other) and a tiny poster of the map (the inside of the sleeve also has the map, go figure).

I got it for $17 at Game Shack in Toronto.

It'll be good for whenever I go back to the hospital, I can always use new gaming reading material. :) Which is rare for me nowadays (R.I.P Nintendo Power :'( ).

That's why I bought it too...sucks how there's no post game stuff. I'm almost done the game..ugh. It's only 11.50 so will probably keep.

Oh the Toys R Us flyer was advertising some Pokémon X/Y plushies/figures. The only price given was $14.99 for a "two figure set", but there were pictures of a Pikachu figure and an Yveltal plushie.

I really want some XY plushies.

I saw Chespin at EB and Mew at Walmart so shouldn't be hard to find some soon.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Anyone know of any good vita sales? I nearly bought the madden bundle but noticed last minute no mem card. Lame.

Its on sale for $180 at Shoppers. Buy it tomorrow (20x points event) and you'll get 36000 points. 38000 points are worth $60, even more during bonus redemption events.

zroid

Banned
You guys are reminding me of GameCube launch. I was so excited, but unable to play it till the following afternoon, so I took the controller to school to "get a feel" for it (and show it off to my friends).
Yes, people laughed at me.

You guys are reminding me of GameCube launch. I was so excited, but unable to play it till the following afternoon, so I took the controller to school to "get a feel" for it (and show it off to my friends).
Yes, people laughed at me.

I had a parade to be in the day Gamecube launched so I went to help work on the final touches on the float, then drove to Toys R Us a bit before it opened, bought my pre-ordered Cube, went to my car, put the Cube in my trunk, closed the trunk, realized I also put my keys in the trunk doh

Had to call my dad to bring his keys and then rush to the parade area.........

After the parade I jetted home and blew up the death star :D

Is it possible to buy the XY guide at Chapters/Indigo/World's Biggest with the online price (members are those with a Plum card right? I have one).

I can get that and refund it at Game Shack to get the difference back, but I don't know if in-store will go with their online price.

Edit: OH, and for those interested, two Ubisoft 3DS games are $10 at Walmart:

Rayman 3D (will hopefully track it down tomorrow)
Monster 4x4 3D (just learned it was developed by Ubisoft India (might be called Ubisoft Pune)), Pune did mobile stuff. Found a linkedin profile of one of the heads of the game who worked on two small DS games in "Ubisoft India", make that of what you will. :p If you wanted to know who actually made that, now you know. XD

Edit: It's Ubisoft Pune:

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/about_ubisoft/world_presence/studio_pune.aspx

Sora_N

Is it possible to buy the XY guide at Chapters/Indigo/World's Biggest with the online price (members are those with a Plum card right? I have one).

I can get that and refund it at Game Shack to get the difference back, but I don't know if in-store will go with their online price.

Edit: OH, and for those interested, two Ubisoft 3DS games are $10 at Walmart:

Rayman 3D (will hopefully track it down tomorrow)
Monster 4x4 3D (just learned it was developed by Ubisoft India (might be called Ubisoft Pune)), Pune did mobile stuff. Found a linkedin profile of one of the heads of the game who worked on two small DS games in "Ubisoft India", make that of what you will. :p If you wanted to know who actually made that, now you know. XD

Edit: It's Ubisoft Pune:

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/about_ubisoft/world_presence/studio_pune.aspx

No I don't think you can match the online price in-store, stupid rule.

Jagxyz

Any stores near near union selling the DS4 (in toronto)?

And are canadian sony stores demoing the PS4 now? Gonna check out the one on front street tomorrow.

I was at the Eaton Centre (Toronto) Sony Store this evening. PS4 was set up, but I didn't see any Dualshock 4 controllers for sale. Store was pretty slammed with people, so I guess that VIP event worked. They got me too--decided that $20 off an already reduced $60 for a Harmony 700 remote was worth it.

P.S. I thought someone earlier mentioned the Front St. Sony Store was closed? Or looked closed?

zroid

Banned
ebgames has the Wii U batman for 49.99 at launch - PS3/360 at 59.99 and Wii U is 59.99 everywhere else as well.

http://www.ebgames.ca/nintendo-wii-u/games/batman-arkham-origins/316454

Oh that reminds me, when I was browsing the TRU flyer earlier I noticed they're having a deal for Arkham. $10 gift card with purchase (and yes they're selling the Wii U version at its proper msrp of $49.99). So if you're interested in a Wii U copy, that's not an entirely bad offer.

Tagg9

Best Buy is so bloody useless. I preordered Wii Party U ages ago, and now it's showing as "Out of Stock" and they haven't even shipped it yet.

it begins

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CMQTVK0/

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BJB9ZT6/

2ake3ir.gif

Jagxyz

I was at the Eaton Centre (Toronto) Sony Store this evening. PS4 was set up, but I didn't see any Dualshock 4 controllers for sale. Store was pretty slammed with people, so I guess that VIP event worked. They got me too--decided that $20 off an already reduced $60 for a Harmony 700 remote was worth it.

P.S. I thought someone earlier mentioned the Front St. Sony Store was closed? Or looked closed?

Huh, must have closed recently then. I'll check it out just in case anyway, it's on the way.

schlew

Best Buy is so bloody useless. I preordered Wii Party U ages ago, and now it's showing as "Out of Stock" and they haven't even shipped it yet.

Yep. I preordered Batman for 3DS months ago alongside Rayman Legends as part of a Buy 2 promotion. Listed as 'preorder' yesterday, then come today (release day!) it's OUT OF STOCK. Plus I can't cancel because of that deal! Yessss.

So, I got to try this yesterday at Future Shop on St. Catherine Street in Montreal Downtown.

10469794113_67f9aacfcf_z.jpg

10469610266_4337ab8786_z.jpg

First things, the game too for ever to boot up, get running, pick a car, and start a race. Loading times seem to be bad.

Now the controller, I do not know how they can fuck up the 360 controller. I think it is the best controller ever, sans the D-pad but this one just felt off. The bumpers are aligned in a very awkward manner, my forefingers don't click the bumpers anymore, it is more like the middle of my forefingers do with the bumpers. The triggers, I think they are smaller. I do not know, something just felt off with the controller overall.

Don't even get me started on the vibration of the controller, not sure if it is just this game or not but it seemed to be toned down and it just felt different. May be I just need to get used to it, I guess.

As for the graphics, it all runs smooth, there was just one track you can play. I was more focusing on the controller, haha.

Now, how long till I can get my hands on the PS4 in store?

If you pay attention they are already discounting the DS4 by 10$, so it's a total of 15$ saving, and the save 20$ on KZ:SF with DS4 preorder is expired already, still it's not worth the space they took on the flyer :D
Is the Dual Shock 4 supposed to be $49.99 or $59.99? Cause on Future Shop's website it still says $59.99.

I did the PS4 game + controller deal from them and I'm confused here.

Top Bottom