• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

FluxWaveZ

Pre-ordered Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney as part of the E3 deal from Future Shop, but haven't had it shipped because it's "Out of Stock." What a pain.

hupla

Dang FS never emailed me with any shipping notice for Layton vs Wright = hopefully they get it out soon but looks like im waiting till monday

khaaan

Futureshop looks like it's having a labour day sale, I see "game pre-orders" as something that has a deal on it but the link is broken so I can't see what exactly the deal is. While trying to figure out what the deal was (not very impressive - $10 off select games when you pre order) I did find out that they're offering a steel-book when you pre-order Smash U which is kinda cool.

ElNino

Teksavvy support is fine if you can actually get a hold of someone. I just post on dslreports in the direct forum and get my problem resolved almost immediately. Calling is futile, though. Bandwidth cap is virtually meaningless as Teksavvy doesn't meter your usage at night.
Yeah, I'm sure their support isn't as bad as someone like Bell (where they actually blame you rather than trying to address your issue). I'm just going by what some friends have said, but they are self sufficient as well so they were able to get things resolved.

Bandwidth doesn't matter much to me either as long as it is over ~200 GB or so for me, and unlimited nigth time doesn't do much for me either as most of my usage is during the day.

However, having a much faster connection at the same price (currently at least) is worth it for me.

ohlawd

Best Buy ended up giving me the generous discount down to $31.49. Who ended up giving you the $25 deal post price adjustment?
there was a $10 off deal online when ordering at least two 3DS games at Best Buy

so I did PL vs PW and lolTekken. the former was 25 bucks after taxes.

Luigi87

I honestly forgot that Layton vs. Wright was out today...
I got charged for it from FS, but no shipping, and of course it's the long weekend -_-

Yeah, I'm sure their support isn't as bad as someone like Bell (where they actually blame you rather than trying to address your issue). I'm just going by what some friends have said, but they are self sufficient as well so they were able to get things resolved.

Uh it absolutely "as bad as Bell", except even worse.

It's fine once you get everything hooked up, but if you want Teksavvy DSL it gets hooked up by Bell's technicians, so you're dealing with their horrible scheduling, their 8am to 5pm windows, their "I can't access the box in this apartment building, and rather than calling the landlord I'm just going to leave with no notice," and worse still since Bell doesn't really want to hook up 3rd party reseller's connections. I'm sure it's just as bad getting Rogers to hook up Teksavvy cable.

ohlawd

How much were Wii U's going for in the beginning? $230 (deluxe ver)? They priced dropped later on to $199 right?

dude, what?

8 gig white - 300
32 gig black - 350

then price drop occurred so 32 gig black became 300 and 8 gig white eventually got phased out

right now, yeah they can be found easily for 200 for a 32 gig black through a refurb deal from Nintendo themselves.

edit: good going BB. Got my two copies delivered. maybe when I jump back on later, the XL cover plates bullshit will pan out D:

No_Style

Speaking of Red card. Will the cashier split a transaction up due to the $60 debit limit? Or will I have to go back multiple times?

Also is it actually 15% off with the Red card? Or is it 10% off and then they take off another 5%? Small difference but I'm curious

Bilollipop

I was wondering, how is futureshop's shipping times?
I preordered Smash 3DS on amazon and found out I wouldn't get it until the 11th, so I was hoping future shop could get it to me by the 6th.
I live like 40 minutes from Victoria, BC.

Speaking of Red card. Will the cashier split a transaction up due to the $60 debit limit? Or will I have to go back multiple times?

Also is it actually 15% off with the Red card? Or is it 10% off and then they take off another 5%? Small difference but I'm curious

Isn't 60 the amount you can withdraw?

iLLmAtlc

Saw gtav on clearance for 20 at the ubc staples today. Associate told me he was unsure of stock and not to rely on the display boxes tho

ohlawd

YO AMAZON

lol they're delaying my Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus order. Game comes out on September 30th normally, Amazon's release date is now October 14th and expected shipping is October 17th

Apparently they couldn't fit PWxPL in my mailbox so I got a delivery notice with pick up next Tuesday. Great..

what the hell, was the packaging a giant ass cardboard box? lol

Alszem

I'm still pissed about my PW vs PL pre-order cancellation. Would've been great to have it for around 26$. Damn you Québec and your stupid laws.

Alszem

Wait, what?

D3 was English only and they didn't cancel it...

Bestbuy cancelled my order saying there's a law that prevents them from shipping English-only games to an address in Québec. Future Shop did that too a few years ago.

It's weird because I bought a few things that were only available in English in their stores. If they can get these things in store, it means they can be shipped, right? Oh and what about every other Canadian retailer that ships English-only games/movies everywhere the country? Yeah. Bullshit excuse.

Bestbuy cancelled my order saying there's a law that prevents them from shipping English-only games to an address in Québec. Future Shop did that too a few years ago.

It's weird because I bought a few things that were only available in English in their stores. If they can get these things in store, it means they can be shipped, right? Oh and what about every other Canadian retailer that ships English-only games/movies everywhere the country? Yeah. Bullshit excuse.

The fact that it's random is weird... Some go through and some don't... How stores apply this law differently is also puzzling...

Did you have to bypass the "no shipping to Quebec" message when you pre-ordered? I did with the trick for Diablo 3 UE and they shipped it. Maybe if they realize it's English only after the pre-order is made is when they cancel?

Alszem

The fact that it's random is weird... Some go through and some don't... How stores apply this law differently is also puzzling...

Did you have to bypass the "no shipping to Quebec" message when you pre-ordered? I did with the trick for Diablo 3 UE and they shipped it. Maybe if they realize it's English only after the pre-order is made is when they cancel?

I didn't get this message when I first pre-ordered. I got an e-mail later (in mid-July-ish) saying my order was cancelled because the game wasn't available in French. I even called them to see if they could do something but they supposedly couldn't do anything.

Pretty frustrating. Next year, I'll pre-order from Amazon.

What is this trick you speak of exactly?

Amazingly, after having to bug Amazon about my Tales of Xillia 2 order, PLxPW shipped today with no fanfare and should be in my grubby hands on Tuesday. Yeah, it's not release-day delivery, but it's as close as I've ever had from Amazon.

Now the question becomes why PLxPW was totally fine while ToX2 wasn't.

Neptunia shipped this morning... And arrives next Tuesday... After the long weekend. I-It's not like I wanted to play it this weekend or anything...

Guess I'll just play it next week in between classes when they start next week.

What is this trick you speak of exactly?

This:

Make sure all your information is correct and at least a credit card is saved on your account. Log in, then add it to cart. During check out, where you enter your payment information, if you click submit, it will prompt you that Quebec error. However, just edit your credit card information (but don't change anything), just enter your CID and click submit. It will go through. I did that many times for English only products.

I would just call them.

I had an issue once where I placed some pre-orders and I forgot to change my credit card info (the CC I originally used was compromised). For some reason I kept getting error messages on the BB site when I tried to change my payment info to the new CC.

One call to customer service and they changed it for me within minutes.

So I did end up calling them and they said they changed it. Hopefully it goes through this time.

Stage On said:
So wait is this some one day only thing next thursday or are they already on sale?
sorry i meant its a one week sale from Sep 5th - 11th

I ask because the Target site mentions a $60 transaction limit for their Red Debit Card along with other limits that they've mentioned at the bottom text:

http://www.target.ca/en/redcard/debit-card?lnk=gnav

I may just apply for the credit card and put a low limit.

thats cash advance. theres no limit for how many prepaid cards you wanna buy

Tapejara

Any retailers have Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4) for a good price? I see most places have it on sale for $40, but I was hoping for a deeper discount.

Leeness

Lol, Futureshop just shipped my PL v. AA. Way to make that shipping date...

At least I will get it on Tuesday...

Weird though, I don't think they've ever missed first day delivery for me before. I have always received them first day or even a day or two early.

frequency

Weird...

Amazon.ca shipped Danganronpa 2. That releases on Tuesday.

I've complained a lot about Amazon.ca shipping in this thread for being way late. Just 2 weeks ago they were way late with Xillia 2 and I had to complain. Now this is shipping before release. So strange.

Best Buy shipped my Layton too.

Top Bottom