• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

xanavi

I'm staring down this tax-free wii u on amazon and weighing it against the odds of a sale or a price-cut before the end of October. Any insights?

i-Jest

I'm staring down this tax-free wii u on amazon and weighing it against the odds of a sale or a price-cut before the end of October. Any insights?

Nintendo can't afford to cut the price on the WiiU. They're losing money on it still. MK8 helped sales but isn't enough. I suppose you can wait for an eventual sale but with whats coming down the pipe soon, you might want one sooner. I don't know. It's up to you.

What condition is it in? New? Used? You also said there were no taxes? HST, GST, none of that applies?

AAK

sorry for posting something off topic but I didn't want to make a brand new thread for this. I don't know what it's called but it's basically a water vessel with a spout used in gardening... but I don't want it to have a sprinkler. In urdu we call them lotas. Things like these:

stock-footage-little-girl-watering-garlic-on-smallholder-farm.jpg

I checked in Dollarama, Walmart, Canadian Tire... and I couldn't find one. Do you guys know where I can get one? I live in Ottawa BTW.

Sajjaja

sorry for posting something off topic but I didn't want to make a brand new thread for this. I don't know what it's called but it's basically a water vessel with a spout used in gardening... but I don't want it to have a sprinkler. In urdu we call them lotas. Things like these:

stock-footage-little-girl-watering-garlic-on-smallholder-farm.jpg

I checked in Dollarama, Walmart, Canadian Tire... and I couldn't find one. Do you guys know where I can get one? I live in Ottawa BTW.
For your butt?

What...? Did you ask a clerk? It seems impossible that Canadian Tire wouldn't have watering cans... Even Walmart should probably have them.

EDIT: Oh, the sprinkler head is the issue. Still I'd be surprised if they didn't have a variety of types but... anyway, sounds like you found what you wanted.

CREMSteve

Went back four or five pages, didn't see this posted.

Second Son, Shadowfall and Knack are all 29.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart until Sept. 5.

I grabbed infamous this morning, been waiting for that one to drop in price since day one.

kennah

Got albw, Mario and Luigi dream team, New super Mario 2 and Kirby in my cart right now, ranging between 22 and 26 each pre owned... thinking I could find them all cheaper used elsewhere

IllumiNate

So happy I bought that The last of us ps4 bundle at shoppers last week, came with a $50 Giftcard that I was able to use at checkout, plus I had a 20x point coupon. I made out like a bandit.

Got albw, Mario and Luigi dream team, New super Mario 2 and Kirby in my cart right now, ranging between 22 and 26 each pre owned... thinking I could find them all cheaper used elsewhere

Yea, even with the deal their price is still too high for me I think...

I wish they would let me filter by "Available Online"... It's a pain to look through the lists when most things are unavailable. Maybe I am blind and I am missing the feature?

kennah

Yea, even with the deal their price is still too high for me I think...

I wish they would let me filter by "Available Online"... It's a pain to look through the lists when most things is unavailable. Maybe I am blind and I am missing the feature?
I couldn't find that kinda feature either. Passed on everything as I'm confident I can get it all for $20 or less

Quadratic

Went back four or five pages, didn't see this posted.

Second Son, Shadowfall and Knack are all 29.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart until Sept. 5.

I grabbed infamous this morning, been waiting for that one to drop in price since day one.

Thanks for the tip but I had no luck. I went to the two Shoppers near me and one gutted their electronics and the other seems to be in the process of switching to fresh grocery.

Roto13

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/online-sale.aspx?CMP=EMC-ALL-140831-rcpt

10% off select game preorder? I wonder what the games are.

Is it possible to pre-order something at Futureshop and pick it up in-store when it comes out? I'd like to pay less than the Canadian ripoff prices for Smash Wii U and Bayonetta 2, but I'd also go nuts if I couldn't play them day 1. :p

EDIT: Oh, wait, it says there on the website that you can't. Oh well.

*fades back into the ether*

This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know when Nintendo started accepting Debit Visa? Every time I tried to use my card, it would never go through. I just tried to add the remaining funds needed for the Mario Kart 8 DLC, and it actually worked. Now I am able to order from both Sony and Nintendo :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know when Nintendo started accepting Debit Visa? Every time I tried to use my card, it would never go through. I just tried to add the remaining funds needed for the Mario Kart 8 DLC, and it actually worked. Now I am able to order from both Sony and Nintendo :)

I posted about this the other day actually lol.

Now I'm worried I'll spend too much.

Zing

Banned
Is it possible to pre-order something at Futureshop and pick it up in-store when it comes out? I'd like to pay less than the Canadian ripoff prices for Smash Wii U and Bayonetta 2, but I'd also go nuts if I couldn't play them day 1. :p

EDIT: Oh, wait, it says there on the website that you can't. Oh well.

*fades back into the ether*
You can preorder from the moon if you like. Meanwhile, you buy the game day one from Walmart, or wherever. Play the game. When the shipment arrives from the moon, you simply walk that sealed copy into Walmart and return it with your Walmart receipt.

Ondore

I think the Visa debit thing for Nintendo started late last year or early this year, I first saw it back in March.

btw, Best Buy's also doing a "buy 2 3DS/Vita games, get 15% off each" deal. Basically Nova Scotians, it eats the tax.

i-Jest

...any info on when Sony is going to send Vita slim stocks to retailers?

The stores near me had 0 vitas since June.

Sony's support of the Vita in the west is....well lets not get into that. Anyway I haven't heard of any restocks coming. Have you tried online? When you said you checked the stores around you, were you referring to both local gameshops and big retail or just one of the two?

Jinto

I'm happy Persona 5 is coming to PS4 and all, but I have the PS3 version pre-ordered for like $35 from E3. Guess I'll end up buying both versions.

zroid

Banned
Oh yeah lol, I forgot about my $35 PS3 pre-order. Meh.

I am kind of skeptical that there will even be much difference between the two, Persona isn't exactly known for being graphically intensive. Probably sticking with PS3 here.

SickBoy

You can preorder from the moon if you like. Meanwhile, you buy the game day one from Walmart, or wherever. Play the game. When the shipment arrives from the moon, you simply walk that sealed copy into Walmart and return it with your Walmart receipt.

If you want to do it that way, you should probably play it safe by buying the copy you intend to return from the retailer you ordered from. I don't think it's especially common, but whenever you're looking at a game that might ship with retailer-specific bonuses, it's not unheard of for them to have different UPC codes (which, obviously, would prevent the return of your online order copy to the brick-and-mortar retailer).

In recent memory, I believe this was an issue with Watch_Dogs -- and I know it's happened with other games.

If you want to do it that way, you should probably play it safe by buying the copy you intend to return from the retailer you ordered from. I don't think it's especially common, but whenever you're looking at a game that might ship with retailer-specific bonuses, it's not unheard of for them to have different UPC codes (which, obviously, would prevent the return of your online order copy to the brick-and-mortar retailer).

In recent memory, I believe this was an issue with Watch_Dogs -- and I know it's happened with other games.

This is true.

I recall that happening with Ass Creed IV last year. Luckily FS took the copy I received from EB.

ohlawd

Oh yeah lol, I forgot about my $35 PS3 pre-order. Meh.

I am kind of skeptical that there will even be much difference between the two, Persona isn't exactly known for being graphically intensive. Probably sticking with PS3 here.
So conflicted lol

I forgot about my 35 dollar PS3 preorder too. am I really gonna buy a PS4 just for a freaking Persona game?

ahdurian

here's hoping that I get my pre-order bonuses when P4A:Ultimax comes out.....

I'm so worried I won't get the cards, considering I preordered Destiny during the E3 deal on BB, but never got a beta code

ohlawd

But the new Ys game is on Vita too!

I can understand buying either Persona 5 version; it'll probably be turn based so FPS doesn't matter as much

Ys will probably be an action game. MoC might be their first effort but it's still a subnative, super blurry, 30 FPS piece of crap. Gameplay is great tho; enough to make me forgive the technical issues.

Falcom's not gonna screw me over. 60 FPS on PS4 for sure, who knows on Vita >_>

I can understand buying either Persona 5 version; it'll probably be turn based so FPS doesn't matter as much

Ys will probably be an action game. MoC might be their first effort but it's still a subnative, super blurry, 30 FPS piece of crap. Gameplay is great tho; enough to make me forgive the technical issues.

Falcom's not gonna screw me over. 60 FPS on PS4 for sure, who knows on Vita >_>

I'm actually not sure how P5's going to be better on PS4 at this point, given that a) Atlus has traditionally been slow to move to next-gen, b) Atlus hasn't even put out a single Persona mainline game on PS3, and c) Persona has never been a game with high production values compared to, say, Final Fantasy.

That said, I'll probably keep my E3 PS3 pre-order from Amazon.ca
and place a PS4 pre-order during next year's E3 shenanigans

ohlawd

I'm actually not sure how P5's going to be better on PS4 at this point, given that a) Atlus has traditionally been slow to move to next-gen, b) Atlus hasn't even put out a single Persona mainline game on PS3, and c) Persona has never been a game with high production values compared to, say, Final Fantasy.

That said, I'll probably keep my E3 PS3 pre-order from Amazon.ca
and place a PS4 pre-order during next year's E3 shenanigans

you can have higher res, breh. those anime scenes will look good twice as good.

Top Bottom