• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Amazon customer support in a nutshell:

Customer: Hi I'm being fucked over for no reason

Amazon.ca rep: let me see if I can apply a little lube to ease that up for ya

Customer: It better not fucking hurt.

2 days later

Customer: Hey its still hurting you said you'd ease up.

BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD

I can't believe people have to pester them to get their games shipped on time, especially Prime subscribers.

MisterJoynt

Neo Member
I honestly can't say that I remember the last time I really felt I NEEDED a game on launch day.

My lower dollar investment easily makes up for waiting a few days.

Anth0ny

I honestly can't say that I remember the last time I really felt I NEEDED a game on launch day.

My lower dollar investment easily makes up for waiting a few days.

yeah

besides MGSV it's been a while, and it will be a while from here. next game I NEED day one is probably... Zelda U?

Amazon has treated me well for my 2 years as. Prime sub, it's just the last few weeks that I've had nothing but problems with them.

The latest is my preorder for Disney Infinity which is supposed to come with a free bonus item (19.99 value), but they ran out on Amazon.ca and told me I could place the order from Amazon.com, yet when I go to do that the promo doesn't apply and then they just transfer me back and forth between Com and Ca reps. Today I spoke to 5 reps in a single chat session before being told they don't know if they'll ever get the item back in stock.

CN6xpJ7UkAECNpC.png

Anyone else here preorder the Disney Infinity Star Wars bundle and get their Toy box Takeover?

Aerocia

Amazon customer support in a nutshell:

Customer: Hi I'm being fucked over for no reason

Amazon.ca rep: let me see if I can apply a little lube to ease that up for ya

Customer: It better not fucking hurt.

2 days later

Customer: Hey its still hurting you said you'd ease up.

BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD

I can't believe people have to pester them to get their games shipped on time, especially Prime subscribers.

Yeah. I understand if they ship late if you're just a regular buyer, but you're paying for a service to receive things in a timely matter.

Luckily I live in Mississauga, so I'm very close to their facility and rarely experience problems with late deliveries.

RE_Player

Is Evolve worth it for $19.99 at EB? Are they discounting it because of a GOTY edition because if that's the case I'll just wait.

Housh

I care because it's my birthday and I took time off to play this. I paid for an extra service to get priority shipping and I had the promise broken twice after speaking with them.

I live close enough to Mississauga that when I would preorder my E3 games from Futureshop, I would usually get them the weekend before the release date. I guess it was my mistake to go with Amazon this year rather than Best Buy. I don't understand how they ran out of stock from the supplier when after bitching to them they contacted the inventory supervisor who said they had some copies that they can mail out to me tomorrow. Are they shipping out to regular customers who paid full price first? It just seems really sketchy.

The salt in the wound was just getting back from picking up groceries today from the Great Canadian Superstore and seeing their two huge stacks of MGSV at $69.99.

Cake Boss

Banned
Right now on MGSV Amazon page.

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Friday, September 4? Order it in the next 23 hours and 25 minutes and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout

Unbelievable. All they have to do is redo my order or whatever.

This will be the last time I order from these scumbags, E3 pre orders or not. Would rather pay full price and receive the item on time, and play the game as I planned to do with my time off from work, Then save a couple of bucks and waste hours dealing with their shitty automated customer service.

N° 2048

This will be the last time I order from these scumbags, E3 pre orders or not. Would rather pay full price and receive the item on time, and play the game as I planned to do with my time off from work, Then save a couple of bucks and waste hours dealing with their shitty automated customer service.

That's exactly what i pushed them to do . they let me re order and they applied the 30% off again. 7 csr in a row. Got all 3 games yesterday

ohlawd

not even worth 5 bucks.

on the topic of cheap old games

remember that $10 Watch Dogs? I've put down a decent amount of time on it and I like it. there's no way I'm gonna get all the collectibles but I like doing the privacy invasions. escaping chases by popping up those blocker things, steam pipes and stuff is fun too. thanks, GAF

Takuan

I'm chatting with them now. Delivery is for September 9th. I chose free shipping, so I'm getting the "you have to choose release date delivery" and "free shipping is 5-8 business days" excuses. Talking to some Leadership Team person now but she seems to have gone dark on me.

It's always Amazon. I got my FS copy already so it's not biggie, but I ordered these for friends and they're jonesing.

Edit: Wow, I can't believe Prime members are getting the shaft too. That's truly inexcusable. Their inventory/delivery systems must be an utter clusterfuck for this to be happening.

Amazon has treated me well for my 2 years as. Prime sub, it's just the last few weeks that I've had nothing but problems with them.

The latest is my preorder for Disney Infinity which is supposed to come with a free bonus item (19.99 value), but they ran out on Amazon.ca and told me I could place the order from Amazon.com, yet when I go to do that the promo doesn't apply and then they just transfer me back and forth between Com and Ca reps. Today I spoke to 5 reps in a single chat session before being told they don't know if they'll ever get the item back in stock.

Anyone else here preorder the Disney Infinity Star Wars bundle and get their Toy box Takeover?

I'm in the exact situation as you. Also getting the runaround. Let me know if you get any progress!

killroy87

Metal Gear still not yet shipped. Had to cave and buy it full price. Why do I pay for Prime again?

it really is obnoxious. It's not so much that mistakes are made, I get that shipping out mass quantities of thousands of items at various speeds to thousands of addresses is a daunting task, no matter how big the company. What annoys me is that they don't to anything, even small like a $5 Amazon credit, to make it up to Prime customers. They are literally failing to provide the one service that I pay them $80 a year for (which is not an insignificant amount of money). They could even make it an automated thing. Oh, a Prime customer's item didn't ship on time? Have a bot send them a $5 credit towards their next purchase. That would cost them very little in revenue, and make up miles in good will.

I'm in the exact situation as you. Also getting the runaround. Let me know if you get any progress!

They basically just told me to keep checking back every week until the item is back in stock on Amazon.ca and then they'll deal with it at that time.

The exact quote regarding supply was:

Amazon: I can be sure that the item may come to stock as early as possible.

Whatever that means

But yeah I'll post in here if anything changes

With Amazon YMMV. They said my copy of Phantom Pain would be shipped this Friday, and would arrive on the 10th at the earliest. I got an email from Amazon last night telling me my copy has been shipped and will arrive Wednesday, and sure enough I just grabbed it from my mailbox. I am not a Prime member, ordered during e3.

Some of you may get lucky like me, and your date of arrival may be much sooner than the site is letting on.

Madness

Do as you please.

Just don't talk about it here because the morality police come out to make you think you will get in trouble.

Not the morality police. But people who take advantage of such things end up making it tougher for the rest of us. Costco used to have one of the best electronics return policies. Could return it anytime within a year if it went bad. However at the height of the introduction of LCD and Plasma televisions, people started to buy a television, keep it for 9-10 months and then return it and get the newer model that was out. Because so many abused it, Costco now only allows 90 day returns on such things.

Walmart was known for the receiptless return, but so many would return stolen or merchandise from other stores that it messed with their inventories so bad that now, where I live, all stores require a receipt except for Walmart Mastercard purchases or Walmart products like George clothing etc. I tried to return a friend for an American relative who actually bought it there but didn't keep the receipt, and I had to jump through such hoops because they thought I was returning a game from elsewhere. Saying they needed to look in their system for when it was sold, and what the method of payment was etc. Other stores now only give store credit without a receipt so that the money is still spent on their stores merchandise only.

Sure it doesn't impact this billion dollar corporation much at all in the long run, and nothing will happen if you do it, but return fraud is huge and real and costs these companies billions and they recoup their losses by making things tougher for us. It's not morality police to say you shouldn't do it. Stores don't willingly want an extra copy of a game to sell and also be out what $89.60 total for a game they never sold. More than likely the poor sap who took the return will have to explain why they're out that money while showing greater inventory at the end of the week or the month.

Sure it doesn't impact this billion dollar corporation much at all in the long run, and nothing will happen if you do it, but return fraud is huge and real and costs these companies billions and they recoup their losses by making things tougher for us. It's not morality police to say you shouldn't do it. Stores don't willingly want an extra copy of a game to sell and also be out what $89.60 total for a game they never sold. More than likely the poor sap who took the return will have to explain why they're out that money while showing greater inventory at the end of the week or the month.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the phenomenon people were talking about worked like this:

1) pre-order a game during a sale from online retailer A, knowing it likely will not arrive on time (item #1)
2) buy the same game on the release date from store B (item #2)
3) open item #2, play immediately
4) when the pre-ordered game arrives, return to store B with item #2 and return it as if it was item #1

Though technically this could be/probably is return fraud, it shouldn't really have any effect on anyone except you, who gets to play a game earlier than just waiting for the mail? No one's getting any excess inventory or having to pay out for copies they didn't sell, unless I'm missing something.

I don't do it anyways because I just don't care enough about getting things day one, and it sounds like a lot of hassle checking UPCs to make sure they're the same and all that. But now I'm curious.

killroy87

Not the morality police. But people who take advantage of such things end up making it tougher for the rest of us. Costco used to have one of the best electronics return policies. Could return it anytime within a year if it went bad. However at the height of the introduction of LCD and Plasma televisions, people started to buy a television, keep it for 9-10 months and then return it and get the newer model that was out. Because so many abused it, Costco now only allows 90 day returns on such things.

Walmart was known for the receiptless return, but so many would return stolen or merchandise from other stores that it messed with their inventories so bad that now, where I live, all stores require a receipt except for Walmart Mastercard purchases or Walmart products like George clothing etc. I tried to return a friend for an American relative who actually bought it there but didn't keep the receipt, and I had to jump through such hoops because they thought I was returning a game from elsewhere. Saying they needed to look in their system for when it was sold, and what the method of payment was etc. Other stores now only give store credit without a receipt so that the money is still spent on their stores merchandise only.

The thing is, none of the negative implications you outlined here apply to this situation. Someone goes into Best Buy, buys a game, and then later returns that game to Best Buy. It's the exact same as any other traditional refund. That's literally all that's happening.

Madness

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the phenomenon people were talking about worked like this:

1) pre-order a game during a sale from online retailer A, knowing it likely will not arrive on time (item #1)
2) buy the same game on the release date from store B (item #2)
3) open item #2, play immediately
4) when the pre-ordered game arrives, return to store B with item #2 and return it as if it was item #1

Though technically this could be/probably is return fraud, it shouldn't really have any effect on anyone except you, who gets to play a game earlier than just waiting for the mail? No one's getting any excess inventory or having to pay out for copies they didn't sell, unless I'm missing something.

I don't do it anyways because I just don't care enough about getting things day one, and it sounds like a lot of hassle checking UPCs to make sure they're the same and all that. But now I'm curious.

Oh that situation is different. Just make sure the UPC lines up. It technically falls under the umbrella of return fraud, you're still not costing the store any loss in inventory or profit per se.

The thing is, none of the negative implications you outlined here apply to this situation. Someone goes into Best Buy, buys a game, and then later returns that game to Best Buy. It's the exact same as any other traditional refund. That's literally all that's happening.

Yeah, that situation is different. I apologize and misread and thought it was getting a game from Amazon but not wanting it and going back to return it at Walmart for full price. I misread. It's still frowned on because you're buying a game, playing it for a few days and then getting your money back because you're giving another copy. But there is no real loss happening. As long as the barcodes/UPC match, you should be good.

You're returning a copy of a SEALED product in the exact condition you bought it within the time frame the retailer allows. It will be as if they never sold the game in the first place. They can sell it as brand new to the next person who comes along, and since this is around release, they probably will. You aren't saddling them with an extra product that they can't move like you would if you returned something that had been opened. You're basically giving them back the exact same product as if you had never bought it in the first place.

People keep making up costs associated with this kind of return and there are none. I managed retail. This wouldn't be tallied up as shrink. It wouldn't be considered part of the billion dollars in loss you claim for return fraud. It would just be an item immediately returned to inventory and sold again.

If you don't do it. That exact same game is going to be sitting on the shelf for them anyway. It makes no difference.

I need to stop. I'm leaving this thread for the rest of the day until people stop making up loss numbers.

Vinc

Heh. I explained the situation to Best Buy and told them about my idea of buying it then returning the sealed copy. They encouraged me to do it, so I don't think it's an issue. :)

Madness

Where's Arkham Knight at for 30 bucks? Been waiting for a price drop on that one

Costco was clearing it's remaining stock. They went pretty quick once the word got out. Pro-tip for Costco, whenever something ends in 97 it means it's clearance and about to be deleted in the system and they won't have anymore on order. Just go into a local Costco, and then give them the item number of arkham Knight from Costco.ca and ask if any are still in stock near you or at the location.

You're returning a copy of a SEALED product in the exact condition you bought it within the time frame the retailer allows. It will be as if they never sold the game in the first place. They can sell it as brand new to the next person who comes along, and since this is around release, they probably will. You aren't saddling them with an extra product that they can't move like you would if you returned something that had been opened. You're basically giving them back the exact same product as if you had never bought it in the first place.

People keep making up costs associated with this kind of return and there are none. I managed retail. This wouldn't be tallied up as shrink. It wouldn't be considered part of the billion dollars in loss you claim for return fraud. It would just be an item immediately returned to inventory and sold again.

If you don't do it. That exact same game is going to be sitting on the shelf for them anyway. It makes no difference.

I need to stop. I'm leaving this thread for the rest of the day until people stop making up loss numbers.

Or you could have read the post I later made 9 minutes before you posted this where I acknowledged I misread the situation and apologized.

MrFixIt

This was the most frustrating discussion I've read all week. DoctorWho, you're 100% right about everything. I worked at THE big toy store in Canada for years. I can confirm, as far as the retailer is concerned, if someone were to return a sealed copy of a game with a receipt, as far as they're concerned, it's the exact same copy you bought from them. As long as it's the exact same product and it's sealed, none of this process matters at all to the retailer.

SickBoy

Is Evolve worth it for $19.99 at EB? Are they discounting it because of a GOTY edition because if that's the case I'll just wait.

To expand on the previous reply, it's not worth it and they're discounting it -- not because the game is crap (that's debatable) -- because there's pretty much no community and it's online only.

Or you could have read the post I later made 9 minutes before you posted this where I acknowledged I misread the situation and apologized.

I just wanted to give you props for realizing where the discussion went wrong and apologizing (especially since you continued to take grief after offering that correction). It's not standard procedure to admit fault on the web... and so occasionally we should laud that :)

chrono01

Happy Home Designer Bundle is now up for preorder at Best Buy.
Do I pre-order now, with the fear that this will be the only standard New 3DS model we get or do I hold out for the Holidays where we might likely get a Yo-Kai Watch/Fire Emblem/etc. bundle instead, with their corresponding faceplates? Ugh! I wish Nintendo would be up-front about releasing more versions of these or not, or at least confirmation that the console itself will be made available.

I have absolutely no interested in Happy Home Designer, nor do I the included faceplates, cards, etc. I'd actually have to spend more upon buying this, since I'd need to swap out those faceplates.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is Evolve one of those games you just buy to play with friends?
It's one of those games you buy that's stripped barebones and then you have to pay dozens of dollars more to get the rest of the content.

Not your typical DLC situation, this game was designed from the get go to be fragmented into as much DLC as possible. It looks like a fun game but its pretty much dead online from what I hear, a big no no for multiplayer only games.

UberTag

Do I pre-order now, with the fear that this will be the only standard New 3DS model we get or do I hold out for the Holidays where we might likely get a Yo-Kai Watch/Fire Emblem/etc. bundle instead, with their corresponding faceplates? Ugh! I wish Nintendo would be up-front about releasing more versions of these or not, or at least confirmation that the console itself will be made available.
Nintendo? Be up front? Our Nintendo? Surely you jest.
Why would they be up front when they could have you buy 4 or 5 3DS systems instead?

chrono01

Nintendo? Be up front? Our Nintendo? Surely you jest.
Why would they be up front when they could have you buy 4 or 5 3DS systems instead?
You're absolutely right. If they had said originally that we were eventually getting the standard New 3DS, I never would have purchased the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL. Thankfully, I never opened it yet, so it shouldn't be too difficult to sell it. Still...

:/

UberTag

You're absolutely right. If they had said originally that we were eventually getting the standard New 3DS, I never would have purchased the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL. Thankfully, I never opened it yet, so it shouldn't be too difficult to sell it. Still...

:/
For what it's worth, I'm expecting this won't be the only non-XL New 3DS bundle we see.
Hopefully the next one will feature a black system and a game that isn't a transparent franchise milking cash grab.

Cool.

*waits for the eventual Xenoblade Chronicles bundle with the Monodo covers*
Yeah, we won't be getting one of those. You're far better off seeking out the Xenoblade plates on eBay.

Ok, I'm back.

I couldn't stay away. I need to find out about Xenoblade X Special Edition.

Sorry about that. This thread has been incredibly frustrating today and I just sort of snapped.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yokai Watch black friday bundle is a lock. FE Fates, not so much. I would love a cool-looking n3DS XL bundle for Fates though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom