• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if what I've experienced is a desync issue. I was playing Zelda and I was turning with the left analog stick. I let go of the stick but the input "stuck" for a couple seconds then released. It's almost as if you were holding a direction, something lagged for a bit, then even when you have let go, it keeps moving your character.

Anyone else experience this?

that is the desync issue that some people are having

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
After having spent some time with the Switch, it's a really slick piece of hardware. I love sliding the joycons in and out of the tablet. Playing Zelda has been a joy so far.

Would I recommend it for $400 to someone? Absolutely not. There's just Zelda, you can't do anything else with it right now (a bunch of indies if you haven't played those already). The only reason I bought one was because of the double trade promo at EB games where I was literally getting as much as I paid on most games.

If I had to drop cash on a Switch I would wait till the holiday season when they get more games out and there's a price drop or bundle.

But if you have $500 lying around burning a whole in your pocket and are a Nintendo fan by all means go for it.

Cru Jones

After having spent some time with the Switch, it's a really slick piece of hardware. I love sliding the joycons in and out of the tablet. Playing Zelda has been a joy so far.

Would I recommend it for $400 to someone? Absolutely not. There's just Zelda, you can't do anything else with it right now (a bunch of indies if you haven't played those already). The only reason I bought one was because of the double trade promo at EB games where I was literally getting as much as I paid on most games.

If I had to drop cash on a Switch I would wait till the holiday season when they get more games out and there's a price drop or bundle.

But if you have $500 lying around burning a whole in your pocket and are a Nintendo fan by all means go for it.

Shovel knight and Binding of Isaac say hi!

I probably would've skipped out on the switch if I had to put forth the $400 without trades and stuff. I got it only because of the double trade promo and it's pretty much paying for all my accessories and a couple games on top of that.

Vamphuntr

Another Nintendo LE that is impossible to order unless you spam F5 all day long. Oh well I'm simply used to it now. Will buy the standard instead.

kevin1025

Banned
I've been avoiding it for the most part, but how has restocking on the Switch been so far? I'm likely picking one up next week or the week after (in Ottawa). What's the more likely place to grab one from?

You know the Amazon CSR knows nothing, but if you're nice to them, they'll bump your prime up an extra month or give you 5 dollars credit here and there.

Definitely. My Mass Effect shipment was delayed to Monday, so I asked for a $10 credit. They gave it without hesitation. The expected delivery date also changed to Friday.

antibolo

Banned
The 3DS is still the best platform for Shovel Knight since the whole game is designed around the native resolution of the top screen.

That Switch timed exclusive content is only one month away.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been avoiding it for the most part, but how has restocking on the Switch been so far? I'm likely picking one up next week or the week after (in Ottawa). What's the more likely place to grab one from?

BestBuy has had 1 or possibly no restocks since launch. They should be due soon. Walmart has had an online restock this week but no indication of retail restocks. EB had restocks all over town Monday. Besides that, Microplay had some last week and the week before, but they said they wouldn't know anything more until about Friday.

antibolo

Banned
So are there any good third party alternatives to the Switch AC adapter so far? I want to pick up a second one for travel, but at that price... I know it's just USB C but I'd like something that can do the full 7A charge that the Switch expects. I'll just pony up the $40 for the official adapter if there's really nothing that compares.

Blaster Master Zero is Switch exclusive (afaik) and worth a switch on his own :p

It's also going to release on 3DS (possibly already released now, haven't checked).

Cru Jones

You're only further supporting his argument.

His argument was a bunch of indies you can play elsewhere... you can't play these elsewhere (on a console).

Also, saying "a bunch of indies" is pretty dismissive since some of the biggest releases in recent years are indie games (minecraft, starred valley, undertake, etc). They aren't a lower tier of game because of their price point.

So are there any good third party alternatives to the Switch AC adapter so far? I want to pick up a second one for travel, but at that price... I know it's just USB C but I'd like something that can do the full 7A charge that the Switch expects. I'll just pony up the $40 for the official adapter if there's really nothing that compares.

You could go for a third party charger like one for a phone but whatever one you find could easily damage the system even if it meets its specifications. Even a Type C USB cable could be shoddily made too.

For example, I recently found out the USB Type C charger for my phone is a faulty POS that could damage anything that wasn't the phone it was packaged with.

I would probably play it safe and just get the first party adapter if I wanted for Switch charging option.

kevin1025

Banned
BestBuy has had 1 or possibly no restocks since launch. They should be due soon. Walmart has had an online restock this week but no indication of retail restocks. EB had restocks all over town Monday. Besides that, Microplay had some last week and the week before, but they said they wouldn't know anything more until about Friday.

Awesome, thanks for this!

antibolo

Banned
You could go for a third party charger like one for a phone but whatever one you find could easily damage the system even if it meets its specifications. Even a Type C USB cable could be shoddily made too.

For example, I recently found out the USB Type C charger for my phone is a faulty POS that could damage anything that wasn't the phone it was packaged with.

I would probably play it safe and just get the first party adapter if I wanted for Switch charging option.

Yeah I guess I'll be going first party, those horror stories about USB C devices being fried by bad cables or chargers are genuinely scary.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I've got an official Nintendo USB-C cable from my "charging grip"... can I use it with one of the numerous USB-to-power-socket adapters I have lying around, or is that risky too?

iphys

I've got an official Nintendo USB-C cable from my "charging grip"... can I use it with one of the numerous USB-to-power-socket adapters I have lying around, or is that risky too?

Guess it depends on how much you trust that USB plug, but they're pretty standard. Been charging my Switch with the Pro controller cable on my MacBook USB port, and no problems. Planning to use the USB plug that came with my NES Classic for on-the-go.

antibolo

Banned

It will probably be safe, but may not pull in enough power for the console itself (while it's not in sleep mode).

iphys

It will probably be safe, but may not pull in enough power for the console itself (while it's not in sleep mode).

Yeah standard USB is only like 5W, and the Switch uses a bit more than that, so the battery actually slowly drains if you charge while playing.

Lexxism

I read that it only gives 0.5A. Not enough to charge the console. I don't know if it affect when it's only sleep mode

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
His argument was a bunch of indies you can play elsewhere... you can't play these elsewhere (on a console).

Also, saying "a bunch of indies" is pretty dismissive since some of the biggest releases in recent years are indie games (minecraft, starred valley, undertake, etc). They aren't a lower tier of game because of their price point.

No one loves indies more than me, believe me. I even own a few indie games!

Shit. Missed the limited edition of FE Echoes twice. Is Amazon the only company that put it up right now?

EB games is taking preorders in store.

Harusame

Went to my local ebgames and was able to easily place a pre-order for the CE for FE: Echos. For the past few years, I have not experienced any issues with my local Ebgames when it came to pre-orders for limited editions of Nintendo games, amiibos and hardware.

Jinto

I completely forgot I pre-ordered Ghost Recon from Amazon. It just shipped. Didn't that game come out like 2 weeks ago? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom