• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryt

Anyone here order PC parts from NCIX and have them assemble the PC?

I just got a shipping notice and for some reason it has been shipped in two separate packages instead of one. I figured it would be one since it should be fully assembled.

Is the second shipment for the empty packaging of the components that they assembled?

I've done it but I picked it up in store. Your assumption is probably correct since when I went to pick it up in store it came in two boxes. One with empty components and one with the PC.

Kyolux

Anyone here order PC parts from NCIX and have them assemble the PC?

I just got a shipping notice and for some reason it has been shipped in two separate packages instead of one. I figured it would be one since it should be fully assembled.

Is the second shipment for the empty packaging of the components that they assembled?

Video card might have been shipped separately. You don't want it shipped inside the pc. Too risky.

BadWolf

I've done it but I picked it up in store. Your assumption is probably correct since when I went to pick it up in store it came in two boxes. One with empty components and one with the PC.

Thanks!

Video card might have been shipped separately. You don't want it shipped inside the pc. Too risky.

Hope not, I don't trust myself to mess around with PC components -_-

I don't think they do actually if the refund is handled properly. Pay with cash if that part of it bothers you. It's still a little bit of handling, wear and tear on their store and receipts but it's very minor. I haven't done it but I wouldn't feel bad about it as long as I was a good customer for them in general. Sure, it's "wrong" but at a low cost.

I personally don't like it because you're creating extra work for one retailer because of another retailer's fuck up. Best Buy gets dinged because you're buying a game from them that you don't intend to keep. You get dinged because you have to make a bunch of trips to a Best Buy location that you didn't have to if the game just came on time. The only party that gets off scot-free is Amazon.ca, and that's the company that screwed you in the first place.

I've done the thing where I give Amazon my business because the $20 off or whatever was more important than getting it day one. I've also done the thing where I cancelled an Amazon order because I wanted the game sooner. I think both options are more consistent with the principle of "give the company that isn't screwing me my money" than the whole buy/return thing.

DOATag

Neo Member
Why though?

Graphics cards tend to be very heavy and large and can wobble, bend and break very easily because they arent being supported by anything other than themselves during shipping. They basically have a small piece of pcb board attached to the motherboard with a ton of weight on them that can snap easily

N° 2048

I personally don't like it because you're creating extra work for one retailer because of another retailer's fuck up. Best Buy gets dinged because you're buying a game from them that you don't intend to keep. You get dinged because you have to make a bunch of trips to a Best Buy location that you didn't have to if the game just came on time. The only party that gets off scot-free is Amazon.ca, and that's the company that screwed you in the first place.

I've done the thing where I give Amazon my business because the $20 off or whatever was more important than getting it day one. I've also done the thing where I cancelled an Amazon order because I wanted the game sooner. I think both options are more consistent with the principle of "give the company that isn't screwing me my money" than the whole buy/return thing.

It takes me 5 minutes to processes a refund at my shop. It's part of my job.

Those guys have money to burn with their bullshit practices already.

Qwyjibo

Why though?
Modern video cards are large and heavy. Apparently they've had issues with them breaking the slots if shipped installed.

I ordered a PC from NCIX this past January and had them assemble it. One box was the case + everything installed inside except for the video card. The other box was the video card and the packaging for your power supply, motherboard, CPU, etc.

antibolo

Banned

Yeah I'm against doing that for the same reason. It just feels very wrong.

BadWolf

It's really easy to install.

It's an heavy component and it's only being held by one side of the motherboard. An unlucky bump could bent the connectors or something. Anyway, just speculating.

Modern video cards are large and heavy. Apparently they've had issues with them breaking the slots if shipped installed.

I ordered a PC from NCIX this past January and had them assemble it. One box was the case + everything installed inside except for the video card. The other box was the video card and the packaging for your power supply, motherboard, CPU, etc.

Time to look up some YT vids...

leeman

Amazon just delivered my FFXV guide / Deluxe edition. Not sure if I should be impressed or...

Go home Amazon, you're drunk, lol

uOEGw5lm.jpg

Quick

Banned
lol I appreciate Amazon's care with the stuff shipped to me.

Blu-rays and games in bubble mailers shoved in my mailbox (not in the oversized), but less fragile stuff? Big box, plenty of bubble wrap.

Firestorm

NCIX usually has the video card installed already. They use zapties on cables and such to hold 'em in place a bit. The second box is your component boxes.

When NCIX shipped me my PC it came in one big box with the component boxes (including the case box with the case and everything installed) inside.

I think Amazon is better than Best Buy in the packaging department. Best Buy uses bubble mailers for everything, even handheld consoles and games in cardboard boxes.

Anyone ever been shipped a product from Best Buy with only a $0.00 charge on your credit card? The Best Buy order history says it was charged, but my CC only has a pending $0 charge on it... was delivered today.

antibolo

Banned
Well shit, my FFXV just arrived.

So uh will I really need to send back my extra copy to Amazon? Can I get into trouble if I don't?

The original order now says "We are expecting your return".

Qwyjibo

Thanks, fingers crossed.

Also, they should already have the power cables plugged into your power supply. So you probably will see two loose connectors inside your case when you open it. Those will be for your video card. You'll snap the card into its slot, screw it to the case, and plug those power connectors into your card. I've found that NCIX makes it REALLY easy when you pay for their assembly.

antibolo

Banned
Can I be charged with fraud if I don't return my extra copy? Cause they're really expecting it apparently. Fucking scum of a company.

MarkusRJR

Is Canada Post's website still broken or something? My tracking number for FFXV from Best Buy still doesn't work and I haven't received it yet.

TechJunk

Can I be charged with fraud if I don't return my extra copy? Cause they're really expecting it apparently. Fucking scum of a company.

Amazon would never go through the legal process of having you charged with fraud. They will charge you for the extra copy though.

mdubs

Banned

So uh will I really need to send back my extra copy to Amazon? Can I get into trouble if I don't?

Is it really that hard to just paste the shipping thing they sent you and drop it off at the mailbox at some point in the next few weeks? Damn you're spending more effort sitting here and typing about it than you would just taking care of it

Kyolux

No, the right thing is to not let corporations make me fix their own mistakes.

What's legal is not always what's right.

What happened exactly? The first one was lost or something but ended up making it to your place and they sent you a second one before you received the first one?

They won't charge you with fraud, they'll just charge you the extra copy most likely if you don't return it.

BadWolf

Also, they should already have the power cables plugged into your power supply. So you probably will see two loose connectors inside your case when you open it. Those will be for your video card. You'll snap the card into its slot, screw it to the case, and plug those power connectors into your card. I've found that NCIX makes it REALLY easy when you pay for their assembly.

Awesome, thanks :)

antibolo

Banned
Wait I didn't think this through, the replacement order hasn't shipped yet so I can just cancel it now.

Still pissed by all this but oh well.

Firestorm

My Zero Time Dilemma order says that but I never got it so who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom