• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulva

Celebrating one year+ of living in the US and still using my Wind/Freedom US roaming account with no issues. Cheapest AT&T plan out there, and I can still use it locally when I'm back home visiting family.

Celebrating one year+ of living in the US and still using my Wind/Freedom US roaming account with no issues. Cheapest AT&T plan out there, and I can still use it locally when I'm back home visiting family.
This is very reassuring. I'm using Freedom right now and will be visiting the US frequently after graduation, and was hoping that I'd be able to stick with a good plan that will work well in both Canada and the US. I was told that Freedom's roaming was good, but it's nice to see a testament.

4K HDR is a massive fucking step up, way more pronounced than 720p > 1080p. The pixel count and image quality of 4K and the impressive color depth of HDR are incredible. The TV is fucking top class, blacks are so inky deep I have a hard time believing it's not OLED.

My current impressions:
Man, I was completely content with upgrading to just 4K later this year, but you're really making me want to spend the extra money to get HDR. It's just too bad that Disney doesn't release movies in UHD 4K, since that's what I mostly watch.

vulva

This is very reassuring. I'm using Freedom right now and will be visiting the US frequently after graduation, and was hoping that I'd be able to stick with a good plan that will work well in both Canada and the US. I was told that Freedom's roaming was good, but it's nice to see a testament.

I think in the past year I've spent a total of 2 and a half weeks in Canada. The rest has been roaming in the US and I've had no issues at all. There was a weird period of time for about 2 weeks where I couldn't get any data but that was because of an issue with when they switched from tmobile to at&t being their partner. That was back in January I think. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

krae_man

I think in the past year I've spent a total of 2 and a half weeks in Canada. The rest has been roaming in the US and I've had no issues at all. There was a weird period of time for about 2 weeks where I couldn't get any data but that was because of an issue with when they switched from tmobile to at&t being their partner. That was back in January I think. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

You are violating their fair use policy so they could cut you off at any time. Wouldn't it be easier to just switch to Metro PCS or Cricket since you own your phone outright?

You'll get lte, more data, and no risk of getting cut off at any moment.

vulva

You are violating their fair use policy so they could cut you off at any time. Wouldn't it be easier to just switch to Metro PCS or Cricket since you own your phone outright?

You'll get lte, more data, and no risk of getting cut off at any moment.

I'm not looking to become a permanent resident of the US and I'm happy with my very old plan from Freedom for when I'm in Canada. I realize it can get cancelled at any moment, but if this manages to last me for my time living down here, and then I can return back to Canada using my old plan that would be ideal.

If it gets cancelled then I'll just get a new plan while down here which would take all of a couple hours, so there's no real reason to jump ship until I'm forced to.

eyesradar

Went in BB and bought this yesterday for $~24 tax-in. It comes with an 1.8m c to c cable and charges my Switch at 5V3A. The wall adapter is one of the smallest on the market and fits nicely in my Switch pouch. The quality is top-notch since its Google OEM. Benson Leung (The Googler USB Type C Device/Cable reviewer) also approves this charger.

At this price, definitely consider it if you need a great charging alternative for your Switch.

Rumour is that Disney will start by the end of the year.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/060717-1230
Ohhh boy! Getting to watch Disney animation pop out in full glory with 4K HDR would be such an incredible experience. Think I'll have to get an HDR TV now to prepare for this. Hopefully there will be some good deals on Black Friday or earlier. Best Buy usually has some good pop-up deals, so I might find something there not long after I move into my new place in September.

Kyolux

So they shipped and charged $5 shipping for the "Free" amiibo that came with the (glitched) bundle.

I wonder what they're going to do about this whole thing in the end.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Please tell me that Splatoon colour joy cons is coming to North America (Canada). I kind of need it in my life, y'all.

farisr

So after much deliberation, I've decided to only keep my amazon preorders until close to release (in case of price errors etc), if they are at the same price as the wal-mart orders, then I'll cancel the amazon ones. I want to "reward" wal-mart for doing the e3 deals.

$90 Switch/Mario Kart bundle update.

I received a shipping notice which shows both the game and console being shipped...

switch_zps539zod9c.jpg

Thought they must have charged my card for the full thing so went to my order history page and it still shows console and game for $90...

switch%202_zpsqsvjauaq.jpg

But there was a PDF in the shipping confirmation that shows only the game...

switch%203_zpsmwuqgchm.jpg

So really no clue what to expect.

Just spent 45 mins dealing with 2 Amazon CSRs to fix the price on a couple of E3 orders. Fun. It showed 20% discounts on a couple of items but didn't actually take off the full 20% from the subtotal.

CazTGG

Just spent 45 mins dealing with 2 Amazon CSRs to fix the price on a couple of E3 orders. Fun. It showed 20% discounts on a couple of items but didn't actually take off the full 20% from the subtotal.

I had to contact CS about the same thing twice; they failed to respond after 24 hours (waited close to 72) like they promised in regards to the original misapplication of the discount on three separate orders and items. Their response was that they were aware of the mistake and, while it wouldn't show up, when I am charged for the games, the discount will be applied properly. I saved the chat log just in case I have to go through this once more since I had a similar issue last year with the E3 discount being incorrect for Sun & Moon.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Destiny 2 (French) for PC. Might be worth quickly going through your open orders and checking to see if the amount discounted lines up with the discount % listed.

I also had Mario + Rabbids in one of my orders so I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the titles that was improperly discounted.

Their response was that they were aware of the mistake and, while it wouldn't show up, when I am charged for the games, the discount will be applied properly.

Mario was fixed for me, but I didn't even get that far with Destiny. For Destiny, the first rep adjusted the base price with the broken discount to make it close to $40. They tried doing the same with Mario and got it wrong twice before just manually setting the base price to 63.99 and removed the discount. After ending the chat, the broken discount on Destiny vanished and I was left with the wrong price again and had to get another rep.

At first the second rep seemed to think I was worried about price protection or something:
"Whenever you pre-order an item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.ca between the time you placed your order and the price the item sells for when it's released. If the price changes before the item ships, you'll see the updated price in Your Account within 24-48 hours of the price change. If the price changes after your shipment is already being prepared, you'll receive a refund within 24-48 hours of the release date."

I explained it again and got "Yes your right" ... "In this case,I will froward your order number to promotion team so they will apply the promotion within 24 hours."

Now I'm waiting to see what they actually end up doing.

what was the wrong discount you got on mario rabbids
From my receipt:
Item Subtotal: CDN$ 79.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Promotion Applied: -CDN$ 9.84

The order details on the site specifically listed the E3 20% off, but it didn't apply the full discount as you can see. Similar deal with Destiny 2:

Item Subtotal: CDN$ 49.96
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Promotion Applied: -CDN$ 6.16

So in both cases it was around 12.3% for some reason.

My Switch order just updated and it's in Richmond, BC.

I'm 30 km away, in Coquitlam, yet the "expected delivery date" is still the 21st, rather than in one day, as mentioned on the delivery standard calculator below.

Should it sooner than the 21st, in this case?

Wasp14

Based on my credit card's pending transactions, it seems that Walmart is keen on charging me $33 twice for a single Crash Trilogy order.

I posted this on RFD and it applies here too.
Re: Walmart charging twice. "I called CIBC before and they told me it was seen as a charge on their end since I used my debit card and to call Walmart. When I called WM they told me it was a temporary hold on the funds. When I asked why they charged my card again when it shipped they said the initial hold would be returned and the shipping charge would stick. I was pretty angry that they knowingly take the funds twice. I've literally never experienced that happening elsewhere."

TLDR: Basically Walmart places a preauthorization hold on funds (which still shows up as a charge) and then charges you again when it ships, eventually returning the preauth to you.

It's bullshit. For what it's worth, they charged me $56 twice for a game and it's been a week and I still haven't been refunded the double charge. I don't plan on ever ordering from them again because of the weird shit they do with my cards.

$90 Switch/Mario Kart bundle update.

I received a shipping notice which shows both the game and console being shipped...

switch_zps539zod9c.jpg

Thought they must have charged my card for the full thing so went to my order history page and it still shows console and game for $90...

switch%202_zpsqsvjauaq.jpg

But there was a PDF in the shipping confirmation that shows only the game...

switch%203_zpsmwuqgchm.jpg

So really no clue what to expect.

I can tell you right now what to expect

enjoy that spanking new copy of mario kart! :D

UberTag

Re: Walmart charging twice. "I called CIBC before and they told me it was seen as a charge on their end since I used my debit card and to call Walmart. When I called WM they told me it was a temporary hold on the funds. When I asked why they charged my card again when it shipped they said the initial hold would be returned and the shipping charge would stick. I was pretty angry that they knowingly take the funds twice. I've literally never experienced that happening elsewhere."

TLDR: Basically Walmart places a preauthorization hold on funds (which still shows up as a charge) and then charges you again when it ships, eventually returning the preauth to you. It's bullshit. For what it's worth, they charged me $56 twice for a game and it's been a week and I still haven't been refunded the double charge. I don't plan on ever ordering from them again because of the weird shit they do with my cards.
And here I was thinking I was the only one affected by Walmart's billing shenanigans and figured I wouldn't post about it. They charged me $191.42 and haven't shipped out anything more than my Mr. Noodles free shipping equivalent. I don't have any actual games pending with them until ARK ships in August.

TLDR: Basically Walmart places a preauthorization hold on funds (which still shows up as a charge) and then charges you again when it ships, eventually returning the preauth to you.

It's bullshit. For what it's worth, they charged me $56 twice for a game and it's been a week and I still haven't been refunded the double charge. I don't plan on ever ordering from them again because of the weird shit they do with my cards.
wait so if you use visa debit? they will double charge you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom