• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I've seen Switches all over fairly consistently, I would recommend to try Toys r Us and shoppers both seem to have them whenever I go in there.
I don't think any Shoppers' in my city stock games anymore, which is a shame since I used to find great deals there. I checked with Toys R Us too but they were sold out. From talking to some stores it sounds like this week was an anomaly with no extra shipments so they expect some next week. I'm not too worried.

Honestly, the Pro Controller is so good it's worth it in my opinion.

Also, anyone else hate when your buy-in price for a game is $5 less than what Amazon is selling it for? Cmon... drop those last few dollars!!!
(Dishonored 1/2, Darksiders 1/2, Wolfenstein TNO/OB)

Speaking of, why the heck is GOTY Witcher 3 still so expensive? It better drop for BF/CM/Boxing Day. I haven't played any of the Witcher 3 and I've been waiting far too long for this one lol.

I've had a few nagging issues with the d-pad in Street Fighter. It also takes me like 3 tries to get it to turn on the Switch itself. Setup Splatoon last night in anticipation of the demo tonight, and found the sticks way too sensitive (or maybe I'm too forceful pushing the sticks?) Coming from the Xbox One S controller (which is sold as low as $45), I'm disappointed. For $100 I expected better.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yea :/
I mean I’ll probably keep it because I’m sure there will be at least 2-3 games in the future that will interest me, but I’m kinda bummed out by the quality of the screen. Resolution is a tad low and colours are kinda washed out. I can just play it docked like a regular console but that means I need the fucking $100 Pro controller.

Lol what dude the screen is beautiful and colors are perfectly calibrated on it, at least thats what everyone says. I guess it wont be as crisp as the new 4K HDR OLED TV you just bought.

Maybe you'll get used to it? Idk I instantly fell in love with mine. Never been a Zelda fan and also got instantly hooked on BotW.

Iced

Lol what dude the screen is beautiful and colors are perfectly calibrated on it, at least thats what everyone says. I guess it wont be as crisp as the new 4K HDR OLED TV you just bought.

Maybe you'll get used to it? Idk I instantly fell in love with mine. Never been a Zelda fan and also got instantly hooked on BotW.

I bought a Switch that had pretty dull colours as well (as well as a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen), and I knew there was something wrong because I had used a friend's Switch prior to buying it. Returned it and got another one about a month later (when I could finally snag one) and it's fantastic. There are definitely Switches out there with lesser screens.

N° 2048

I bought a Switch that had pretty dull colours as well (as well as a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen), and I knew there was something wrong because I had used a friend's Switch prior to buying it. Returned it and got another one about a month later (when I could finally snag one) and it's fantastic. There are definitely Switches out there with lesser screens.

eessh this is why I'm waiting till at least Summer 2018 for a Switch.

Iced

eessh this is why I'm waiting till at least Summer 2018 for a Switch.

I wouldn't expect this to go away. If you've ever seen how much DS screens can vary from system to system, this isn't anything new from Nintendo. Not sure if they just don't calibrate their screens properly, or if they get their screens from various sources. I remember returning a DS Lite, 3DS XL and New 3DS XL because of this issue. It's luck of the draw. To be fair to the Switch though, the problem was much greater on DS screens, with a noticeable yellow tint. Most probably wouldn't notice that their Switch screen is a bit off.

N° 2048

I wouldn't expect this to go away. If you've ever seen how much DS screens can vary from system to system, this isn't anything new from Nintendo. Not sure if they just don't calibrate their screens properly, or if they get their screens from various sources. I remember returning a DS Lite, 3DS XL and New 3DS XL because of this issue. It's luck of the draw. To be fair to the Switch though, the problem was much greater on DS screens, with a noticeable yellow tint. Most probably wouldn't notice that their Switch screen is a bit off.

I see, well now I know to double check with my peeps here when I get a Switch :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Really, I didn't know this was a thing on Switch screens. Yeah etta might wanna try exchanging their Switch in that case. The colors on my Switch screen pop, it looks good even next to my 1440p phone screen.

poodpick

OK now I'm paranoid. Is there a way to know whether you got a good screen? (manufacture date or something else?)

Iced

OK now I'm paranoid. Is there a way to know whether you got a good screen? (manufacture date or something else?)

Ha! I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're happy with your screen. Mine was noticeably dull, especially when I compared it to how my tv was displaying the Switch. To answer your question though, I'm not sure if there's a way to tell what screen you got, or even if there are different types of screens. The one I bought might not have been calibrated properly.

poodpick

Ha! I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're happy with your screen. Mine was noticeably dull, especially when I compared it to how my tv was displaying the Switch. To answer your question though, I'm not sure if there's a way to tell what screen you got, or even if there are different types of screens. The one I bought might not have been calibrated properly.

Compared the picture with my TV and it looks pretty similar barring any rendering differences between portable and docked mode.

tsundoku

The device is literally only manufactured with an IPS screen which means content will be mastered to that Colourspace and should look good on any switch. Its not an issue like the 3ds where if you get IPS everything looks bad and wrong because software colourspace was calibrated to a TN dev unit

I've had a few nagging issues with the d-pad in Street Fighter. It also takes me like 3 tries to get it to turn on the Switch itself. Setup Splatoon last night in anticipation of the demo tonight, and found the sticks way too sensitive (or maybe I'm too forceful pushing the sticks?) Coming from the Xbox One S controller (which is sold as low as $45), I'm disappointed. For $100 I expected better.

My stick clicks are still really beefy. Have you been carrying around the pro controller in a backpack or bag or something that might have weakened them?

The device is literally only manufactured with an IPS screen which means content will be mastered to that Colourspace and should look good on any switch. Its not an issue like the 3ds where if you get IPS everything looks bad and wrong because software colourspace was calibrated to a TN dev unit

My stick clicks are still really beefy. Have you been carrying around the pro controller in a backpack or bag or something that might have weakened them?

Nope! Sitting on a coffee table. Searching the net I see there's been a variety of concerns, though most are about the dpad rather than the sticks.

Jinto

Where is the best place to buy EverDrive flash carts from in Canada?

Gamersection is Canadian and appears to be the cheapest option, but I'm not sure about the quality. Krikzz and Stoneagegamer are more expensive, and isn't local; however, they seem to sell good quality products. Maybe there's somewhere else that sells them?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Think school girl, mahou shoujo, dungeon crawler. To my knowledge there is no yuri but I haven't followed this one much admittedly.
School girl Etrian Odyssey? lol

Just ordered Binding of Isaac Switch off walmart.ca:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/the-bin.../6000196832641

Says there are only a few left online when I searched for it, and it has the original art. Has anyone ordered this from Walmart recently and received the new art?
Why is Binding of Isaac 50 bucks?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don’t think my Switch screen is horrible or defective but just comparing it with the iPad Air 2 screen makes it looks a bit more washed out. Zelda on the X900E looks pretty damn phenomenal in terms of colours but yea, that panel is in a group of its own.

I wish Rabbids was out now because it would help me decide if I want to refund it or not, but it releases past my return period.

I don’t think my Switch screen is horrible or defective but just comparing it with the iPad Air 2 screen makes it looks a bit more washed out. Zelda on the X900E looks pretty damn phenomenal in terms of colours but yea, that panel is in a group of its own.

I wish Rabbids was out now because it would help me decide if I want to refund it or not, but it releases past my return period.

Lol Rabbids will not be THE game to get you to keep a $500+ console.

If you already don't like the technology and Zelda, nothing else right now will convince you. (Until maybe Mario Odyssey)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Where is the best place to buy EverDrive flash carts from in Canada?

Gamersection is Canadian and appears to be the cheapest option, but I'm not sure about the quality. Krikzz and Stoneagegamer are more expensive, and isn't local; however, they seem to sell good quality products. Maybe there's somewhere else that sells them?
I bought my SD2SNES from Krikzz since he's the maker and I'd rather directly support him. If you can wait a few months he'll have his 20% off BF sale. Just be be aware of this before deciding which version of an Everdrive to get.

Firestorm

If you already don't like the technology and Zelda, nothing else right now will convince you. (Until maybe Mario Odyssey)

An SRPG will not be the game to convince someone to keep a portable console? What disqualifies it?

krae_man

EB has a trade in promotion, trade in your old PS4 and get a new slim for $99.

Counts towards the the Uncharted or Infinate Warfare bundles. Or others if you pay the difference.

System gets bumpes up to $230, and the bundles are set at $330.

Uncharted bundle is hard to find stock wise, so I grabbed the COD bundle. Hopefully Infinate Warfare with a modern warfare code still fetches a decent price on kijiji and my cost will be reduced even further.

etta

my hard graphic balls

I really like the looks of it though, it’s so colorful and vibrant and the art style is amazing.
There was that one game on Wii U that I really loved the look of, Captain Toad something. I always wished I could play that, and it reminds me of it, art style wise.

I really like the looks of it though, it’s so colorful and vibrant and the art style is amazing.
There was that one game on Wii U that I really loved the look of, Captain Toad something. I always wished I could play that, and it reminds me of it, art style wise.

maybe your unit just has a bad screen. my switch has beautiful colours, definitely on par with my ipad air 2, lower res but not very noticeable unless i hold it super close to my face.

Jinto

I bought my SD2SNES from Krikzz since he's the maker and I'd rather directly support him. If you can wait a few months he'll have his 20% off BF sale. Just be be aware of this before deciding which version of an Everdrive to get.

Oh shit, I was planning on getting the Super EverDrive too. That was informative, thanks!

I'm in for the EverDrive 64, SD2SNES, and Mega EverDrive X5, but damn, $400 USD. Maybe I will wait for that sale. lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Oh shit, I was planning on getting the Super EverDrive too. That was informative, thanks!

I'm in for the EverDrive 64, SD2SNES, and Mega EverDrive X5, but damn, $400 USD. Maybe I will wait for that sale. lol
You should participate more in the various Retro-GAF threads to keep up on things like what I posted.

Fularu

Banned

Krizz isn't the maker of the SD2SNES. He makes some of them (because the schematics are freely available) and so is the bios.

Anyone can make an SD2SNES, Krizz made and released his everdrive line though.

An SRPG will not be the game to convince someone to keep a portable console? What disqualifies it?

Not just someone, but specifically etta. He's made it clear he is a PC gamer (or his alternative is a powerful video card), and not a fan of switch's screen (a minority opinion), and presumably only has a 30 day return window to decide. For someone like that, to wait for Rabbids (which I agree looks awesome) is risky. He seems anxious holding onto it with nothing to play (correct me if I'm wrong ,etta, just trying to help :))

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not just someone, but specifically etta. He's made it clear he is a PC gamer (or his alternative is a powerful video card), and not a fan of switch's screen (a minority opinion), and presumably only has a 30 day return window to decide. For someone like that, to wait for Rabbids (which I agree looks awesome) is risky. He seems anxious holding onto it with nothing to play (correct me if I'm wrong ,etta, just trying to help :))
Well, no, and I think I’m gonna keep it, I got to Impa’s village in Zelda and it’s pretty dope. And it’s quite a lot nicer to play on the big screen, which means I’m gonna need to shell out more for the Pro controller.
I’m not really a PC gamer primarily, I pretty much only play the games on PC that I think should be and are truly better played on PC, Overwatch, Dota, Rainbow Six Siege...etc. Most games I play on Xbox and the PlayStation is pretty much a Sony Studios machine.

Fularu

Banned
The pro controller is absolutely not needed for zelda

The best way to play it is actually in relaxed mode with detached joycons

Well, no, and I think I’m gonna keep it, I got to Impa’s village in Zelda and it’s pretty dope. And it’s quite a lot nicer to play on the big screen, which means I’m gonna need to shell out more for the Pro controller.
I’m not really a PC gamer primarily, I pretty much only play the games on PC that I think should be and are truly better played on PC, Overwatch, Dota, Rainbow Six Siege...etc. Most games I play on Xbox and the PlayStation is pretty much a Sony Studios machine.

Just out of curiosity: why have you played third party games this gen on Xbox One despite the PS4 version being superior the vast majority of the time?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've put 175+ hours into Zelda with the regular joycon controller. I don't think the pro controller is mandatory at all.

The pro controller is absolutely not needed for zelda

The best way to play it is actually in relaxed mode with detached joycons
No I didn’t mean it that way, not that the Pro controller is absolutely necessary in general, but that plastic grip is such an uncomfortable piece of shit. I’ll try detached and see how it is, but the right stick feels weird in detached since the palm grip is totally different.

Just out of curiosity: why have you played third party games this gen on Xbox One despite the PS4 version being superior the vast majority of the time?
Quite a few reasons, controller is probably in the top three.

I think there's a Splatoon demo up until 8-9PM EST.

You should check it out to see if you'd be into it.

Great to hear ! Zelda is lots of fun and very addicting. Can't wait for Rabbids.

I think there's a Splatoon demo up until 8-9PM EST.

You should check it out to see if you'd be into it.

First time playing Splatoon. Very creative. Matchmaking is slow right now.

N° 2048

I'm like 60 hours into BOTW and still haven't done a Divine Beast.

This game is one of the best games I've ever played in my life. It's open world done so well.

TheExodu5

Banned
I bought a Pro Controller and thought it would be my main controller...but detached joycons is so damned comfortable, at least for my hands. Make sure you try it purely detached without the added shoulder grips.

Bronetta

I'm like 60 hours into BOTW and still haven't done a Divine Beast.

This game is one of the best games I've ever played in my life. It's open world done so well.

50 hours in: I'm done all the Divine Beasts, got the Master Sword a few days ago.

The map tracker and Korok mask from the DLC are sooooo useful. I'm exploring everything on the map now that I actually know where I have and haven't been, otherwise I would have ignored all these and headed straight to Ganon.

If Rainbow 6 Siege hadn't completely absorbed me this week I would have sank another 10 hours into Zelda easily.

Edit: So what's your GotY? Nier Automata... Persona 5... or is it Zelda now? As much as I love Zelda and Nier, nothing will dethrone Persona 5. My experience with that game was next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom