• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Banned
Looks like Best Buy Canada is testing the waters with the 20% preorder discount

Rewards members get 20% off when preordering "the elder's scrolls online : Morrowind".

Amazon must be eating their cake

This thread is gonna be a mess if they drop Mario from $100 since it's pretty much a given the prime discount will get applied wrong.

Also does everyone think the delivery estimate they are given when they preorder will magically change?

Lexxism

Rewards members get 20% off when preordering "the elder's scrolls online : Morrowind".

They should just bring the GCU. I'll definitely get it for $40/yr

NYR

Yup. They would have the bulk of my business back.
I'm done with Best Buy. Amazon Prime can be used for pretty much anything nowadays and now have one day shipping in the 5 biggest cities, only a matter of time until same day comes to these same cities. Too valuable of a service. Best Buy won't exist in 10 years.

I'm done with Best Buy. Amazon Prime can be used for pretty much anything nowadays and now have one day shipping in the 5 biggest cities, only a matter of time until same day comes to these same cities. Too valuable of a service. Best Buy won't exist in 10 years.

Overall I agree with you but I have had a lot of problems with release day game deliveries being several days late on Prime.

antibolo

Banned

Best Buy will need to remove their shipping restrictions to Québec if they want me to consider them a viable alternative to Amazon Prime.

That's probably never going to happen though. The reason Amazon can get away with it is by literally not have a distribution center here and ship everything from Mississauga.

The thing that really concerns me is what happens if Best Buy goes out of business. At that point your video game options collapse to Amazon, EB Games, Walmart, or mom n' pop stores if you're lucky to have one in your area. Toys 'R Us if you want to be really generous but that's pushing it. That's it. Online, it's basically Amazon or EB Games for anything that's not Nintendo or AAA.

That is a dire scenario no matter how you slice it.

The thing that really concerns me is what happens if Best Buy goes out of business. At that point your video game options collapse to Amazon, EB Games, Walmart, or mom n' pop stores if you're lucky to have one in your area. Toys 'R Us if you want to be really generous but that's pushing it. That's it. Online, it's basically Amazon or EB Games for anything that's not Nintendo or AAA.

The few Best Buys around me always seem to have a healthy amount of customers inside and I haven't heard anything about Best Buy going thru troubles, I think they'll be fine.

Kyolux

I remember being a kid going there to glare at the long walls of NES and SNES games.

Yeah nowadays I never even consider them.

Firestorm

If anyone's in the market for a 50" TV, I just bought the Vizio P50-C1 off Costco website. It disappeared off the site yesterday so I called in and found out that it was sold out but they had 16 arrive in the morning to be processed so after mine I think there are 15 left? Came back on the site but on backorder a few hours ago. It's being discontinued but the 2017 P series does not have a 50" model afaik and the 2017 series is actually identical specs-wise to the 2016. The features of the new model will come to these TVs via an update later this year.

It's $999.99 + tax + eco fee with shipping included which is the same price as it was on Black Friday. This price actually allows you to get the $60 extended warranty option since it's below $1000 =P I usually don't buy 'em but Costco's is cheap and I hear they're good for it.

This model is not sold in stores and is online only. Seems to be the best bang for buck 4K + HDR TV.

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-P50-C1-...-Home-Theater--Display.product.100300296.html

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is EB Games' business model predicated on people trading in games to buy other used games? I'm not sure why people would go there if both big competitors decide to do 20% off preorders now.

I mean, Walmart doesn't care but they have your money anyway for everything else you buy.

antibolo

Banned
Is EB Games' business model predicated on people trading in games to buy other used games? I'm not sure why people would go there if both big competitors decide to do 20% off preorders now.

I mean, Walmart doesn't care but they have your money anyway for everything else you buy.

EBGames' current business model is all about
1) being a glorified pawn shop
2) selling pop culture merch crap

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It looks like Amazon requires a reason now if you select "Defective" for a return. Does it matter if you just type in some nonsense? ("box scratched" or something? lol)

Or does inaccurate description still work for a free return label?

Fularu

Banned
It looks like Amazon requires a reason now if you select "Defective" for a return. Does it matter if you just type in some nonsense? ("box scratched" or something? lol)

Or does inaccurate description still work for a free return label?

Well is it actually defective?

Nicodemic

Just a shout out to Canada Gaf for the heads up on the Breath of the Wild Special Edition. Received it today and I'm super happy with my purchase. Thank you all!

PSA - even though I'm probably the only one who cares about this game - Farming Simulator 17 is 40% off on PSN currently.

Premium edition
Standard edition

Premium edition comes with the season pass, which currently has 2 DLC packs (Kuhn and Big Bud) and a bunch of different tractor skins.

Thanks for the heads-up. FWIW I definitely don't think you're alone, just that most people who play it seem to be on PC? I've always thought about getting into it but I already have too many simulators to play, let alone games in general (OMSI2 Berlin Bus Simulator, one day... ONE DAY...)

Fularu

Banned
No, but I also don't want to pay 7 bucks to return something. lol

Well just talk to a CSR because if you claim it's defective, they return it to the manufacturer.

You use defective if it's defective. If you didn't want it because you changed your mind, you could just have refused the package.

Do televisions by any chance ever get included in Back to School sales at Best Buy or other stores? I want to get a small TV for my room, and my flatmates want to get a larger one for the living room. The living room TV can be any basic TV really, but the one in my room will be hooked up to a PS4 Pro, so I'm looking to get something with really good quality. (I guess 4K HDR would be the best?)

Anyway, do you guys suspect some good sales around September, or should I try to grab something over the summer? I definitely want one in my room before Black Friday, but the bigger one in the living room can wait. Also, do you guys have any suggestions? I'm thinking like, 35 - 42" would be the ideal size. Something lower than $1,000 (before taxes).

Damn, I waited too long and now Shadow's of Valentina isn't listing release date shipping on Amazon... Should I order it today, when would the earliest delivery date be? Amazon doesn't list anything other than its release date and a "we'll let you know the estimated delivery date later" message.

Luigi87

Damn, I waited too long and now Shadow's of Valentina isn't listing release date shipping on Amazon... Should I order it today, when would the earliest delivery date be? Amazon doesn't list anything other than its release date and a "we'll let you know the estimated delivery date later" message.

If you didn't get by Friday, then Tuesday, as Monday is Victoria Day.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Finally got my joycon back from Nintendo today. Took exactly 1 week for repairs (sent last tuesday, received today)

I can finally bring my Switch on commutes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom