• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Prime Minister:"We need to stand against gamergate and video games misogyny"

• Thread starter Deleted member 126221
  • Start date

Fat4all

Banned
Games misogyny? Get real. Although given the people gushing about him, maybe he does know what he's on about. Mention being against an "icky" topic and people lap it up.

giphy.gif

Syf

Banned
Feels good knowing I voted for the guy. Keep on winning Justin, you're off to a great start. So refreshing after ten years of Harper.

Fat4all

Banned
not really. It makes no difference if it is only in the form of speech.they are half-truths

When it's your first day on the job you lay what what you plan to accomplish, and I'm pretty sure him addressing GG directly is a better sign than those who ignore it's existence completely. Him also having a background in understanding game culture seems to indicate he understands what GG is and what they've done so far.

When it's your first day on the job you lay what what you plan to accomplish, and I'm pretty sure him addressing GG directly is a better sign than those who ignore it's existence completely. Him also having a background in understanding game culture seems to indicate he understands what GG is and what they've done so far.

This article is from September though, not the first day on the job. And to be frank, he has a lot of other issues that are higher priority that he needs to take care of first, before tackling issues like this. It'll probably be discussed in Parliament, but later rather than sooner.

Madness

Feels good knowing I voted for the guy. Keep on winning Justin, you're off to a great start. So refreshing after ten years of Harper.

He's developing a cult of personality that will inevitably lead to disappointment. This is a great statement by him, but it means nothing without the US support. Just sad that there aren't any American politicians who want to tackle online harassment and bullying on a large scale.

For those wondering, Canada has laws against hate speech, and we're really trying to get cyberbullying legislation passed but the biggest hurdle is the US. Most organizations are US based, and it's very difficult to get anything going. But still, it's good to hear a world leader acknowledge an issue that does affect many.

not really. It makes no difference if it is only in the form of speech.they are half-truths
Even if it's only speech, publicly acknowledging a problem as one helps raise awareness and might at the very least motivate other people to do something.

To put it differently, not acknowledging a problem has a 100% chance to not do something about it, while publicly accepting it might still yield results.

Gamergate is also a product of years if not decades of pandering and coddling to a certain segment of gaming consumers telling them that they are perfect and great for buying all these products, while the products themselves were power fantasies aimed at pleasing the player as much as possible. Meanwhile, journalists and reviewers never bothered to ask critical questions about the status quo while lauding everything with positive acclaim, despite their problematic politics. Additionally, marketing was constructing a myth about who played games and what type of identities were 'allowed' in the Gamers club.

When you then rock the boat by asking critical questions or being another person, the sycophant Gamers lose their shit, especially when nobody else with power in the culture and industry calls them out on it. Then you have some people who lack basic empathy and understanding, and these turn into bigoted Gamergators.

This form of online bigotry is unique to gaming culture. Other domains online experience similar type of hate, but Gamergate is particular to gaming culture.

I honestly hadn't considered it from that perspective, thank you.

Wow. A world leader called out GamerGate by name, while virtually no higher-up in the industry has had the balls to do the same.

Bravo, Canada.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Good on Trudeau. Might be tough to doxx a Prime Minister, I'm sure some of the basement dwellers will try.

EXCLUSIVE: Hackers managed to discover his new address and published it on pastebin:

24 Sussex Dr, Ottawa, ON K1M 1M4

That'll show him.

Chariot

Absolutely silly. Video games are for children primarily, this has no bearing in politics.
Harassement and hate speech are important, no matter if the origin is in videogames. You think woman should be left harassed because they work with videogames? Then, well, #gg to you.

Mailbox

Absolutely silly. Video games are for children primarily, this has no bearing in politics.

I'm gonna just attribute this post as an example of Poe's Law because it is so beyond stupid and ignorant of the real life effects of something like gamergate to women in gaming (and tech in general) that it can't be a serious post.

(Also, the average age of someone who plays video games is fairly north of "child". )

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Exactly. It's like when the government talks about education spending or childhood Leukemia. Leave things that affect children to...whoever takes care of that stuff. Other children, I guess?

Statistically, in Australia, more than 76 % of gamers are 18 and over. The typical gamer is 32 years old. I'd imagine those statistics are consistent with Canada's gaming population and thus Gamergate is highly relevant to a political discussion.

Cloudboy

Banned
I voted for him and I hope that this is one thing that he doesn't follow though on. Was going to vote NDP but it made sense to vote liberal in my area. Good to hear that he has head of internet goings on but sad to see that he is anti GG.

Monocle

Games misogyny? Get real. Although given the people gushing about him, maybe he does know what he's on about. Mention being against an "icky" topic and people lap it up.
If you pretend a problem's not a problem, it doesn't exist. Brilliant!

Pls be the new prime minister.

I voted for him and I hope that this is one thing that he doesn't follow though on. Was going to vote NDP but it made sense to vote liberal in my area. Good to hear that he has head of internet goings on but sad to see that he is anti GG.

Why is it sad to see he is anti GG?

Tanoooki

Is he like the equivalent of if a Bernie Sanders / Ron Paul type candidate got elected in the US or is he an establishment politician?

Chariot

This thread is really going interesting ways.

Firestorm

Is he like the equivalent of if a Bernie Sanders / Ron Paul type candidate got elected in the US or is he an establishment politician?
Establishment politician. He's the leader of our centre-left party. We also have a left party and a right party. I'd say he's more our Barack Obama to George W Bush than Bernie Sanders to Barack Obama.

We've had a Conservative government under his predecessor, Stephen Harper, for 9 years and it hasn't been a fun ride.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Mean fucking while, the floor I work on in our hospital is tasked with saving 2 million dollars this year (on top of a budget freeze despite increasing costs of 3-4.5%...news outlets report 2.5% increases but that is BULLSHIT) so now if we get a sick call we can't call in a replacement nurse.

This means our already over tasked and over worked staff (on an acute surgical floor) is potentially adding another patient on top of our already very busy patient load.

But hey, when your family member is dying right in front of you, remember this important issue. Glad our priorities are straight.

There are bigger problems that need to be fixed in this country. And no, this is not a lolstevenharperdevilwreckedit thing. This is the system built by the original Trudeau and it is FAILING day by day and this failure started the day the original act was signed.

If Canadians could only see from the inside how fucking broken our healthcare system is, you would be appalled. But hey...vidja game bullshit.

Sorry for being in meltdown mode, and I'm not trying to minimize misogyny and racism in the game industry, but this other shit affects everybody in more profound ways. I promise you. The current problems in our healthcare (and education system) transcend race and gender.

ITTIL: Politics should rarely come to gaming side.

Hello.

Banned
Harassement and hate speech are important, no matter if the origin is in videogames. You think woman should be left harassed because they work with videogames? Then, well, #gg to you.
How are women harassed by video games exactly?
I'm gonna just attribute this post as an example of Poe's Law because it is so beyond stupid and ignorant of the real life effects of something like gamergate to women in gaming (and tech in general) that it can't be a serious post.

(Also, the average age of someone who plays video games is fairly north of "child". )
Well, if you want to call it that, you can, and I can do the same to yours. I posted exactly what I think about the subject.
Exactly. It's like when the government talks about education spending or childhood Leukemia. Leave things that affect children to...whoever takes care of that stuff. Other children, I guess?
No, not exactly, because public funding of education and childhood leukemia are historically important parts of politics and are actual issues to touch upon. This isn't even comparable.
Statistically, in Australia, more than 76 % of gamers are 18 and over. The typical gamer is 32 years old. I'd imagine those statistics are consistent with Canada's gaming population and thus Gamergate is highly relevant to a political discussion.
I believe you but statistics usually govern a citation. Society still looks towards video games as a hobby, particularly for children, unless it's a certain group of people (dudebros and whatnot.)

I see where he's coming from but I hope he is not endorsing any form of censorship.

He can speak out, shame and propagate whatever stereotypes he wants but it's ultimately up to people to be sold on his idea and choose for themselves to change.

Firestorm

I didn't realize Hello was being serious. Trudeau clearly points games as being culturual works and an important part of our modern culture like film, television, music, and literature. He is correct in that. His correct that values in popular culture have an impact on society and vice versa.

I believe you but statistics usually govern a citation. Society still looks towards video games as a hobby, particularly for children, unless it's a certain group of people (dudebros and whatnot.)

Here's a link to the Digital Australia 2014 report that highlights the statistical findings I quoted. I agree that society does not see gaming as an adult hobby, but that is stance adopted by the uninformed. If gaming is highlighted more commonly in an adult context, such as in a political discussion, it will help to shift that perspective.

23qwerty

Wow. A world leader called out GamerGate by name, while virtually no higher-up in the industry has had the balls to do the same.

Bravo, Canada.

To be clear this was about a month ago, so he wasn't a world leader at the time.

Always nice to have a thread like this to purge GAF of the unclean a bit.

Sibylus

Banned
PM speaks out against online misogyny and harassment, and outspoken fans of the medium attempt to minimize the problem, divert blame, or claim with straight faces that there is no problem. C'mon, folks.

lupinko

He's older than Harper was when he became Prime Minister.

PS. Maybe I should avoid mentioning Harper as much as possible and pretend those 10 years never happened :p

iirc Justin is the second youngest Prime Minister after Joe Clark.

Harper was older than Justin when became PM.

Top Bottom