• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candy Crush Saga yields 470,000 ($625K) per day, has 45 million players worldwide

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That number is a sole reason why devs jump ship to smartphone market.

Well, not the sole reason. There are other strong drivers such as the ability to easily self publish, more opportunity for creating original IP, and low development costs. And some are pushed given there is far less work in the console retail and handheld spaces these days as opposed to 5 years ago.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I got to level 300 without paying anything, can be very frustrating. I was basically in a race with my friend or I would have stopped long before that.

arkwZnV.png

They said we would be safe.

They said.

They said.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I can believe this. I went to a company BBQ at their London offices last month. Their whole place looks swag as hell. They had REAL cheese for the burgers, too!

Ban Puncher

The only exposure I've had to Candy Crush Saga are those fucking annoying popup ads on my iPad when I'm trying to surf the information superhighway aka The Web.

None of my money.

Bowler

i'm on 391, not spent a penny. its entirely possible to beat the game without spending anything.

I'm also on that level... Fucken level is glitched on iOS. Anyway I've made it this far with only spending 5 bucks. 5 different levels have pissed me off to no end, in which I used the +5 move mechanic.

Shengar

I was thinking that this wasn't really all that different to arcade gaming back in the day.

Back then you'd pay to start the game, and probably die/lose within a minute or two unless you were well practiced. To continue playing, you inserted coins. Often you'd find people pouring coin after coin into the slot to build up continues and lives, or time extends.

So I can't really criticise the method of pay-to-play that games like this offer. It's just when it's blatantly cynical to the point where you HAVE to pay to progress and no level of skill can get you through alone that causes the problems. If you can get through Candy Crush without spending a penny then that's fine by me. But yeah, we've been paying for extra lives and playtime since the start of gaming.

As long as I don't get ads interrupting my play session and I'm not forced to pay, I'm happy. Still haven't played CC though!
Good point on that arcade thing. I'm being really cynical at first, but your post just gave me the picture how practice like this already being there since a long time. Well, good for King I guess. I just hope this doesn't make any dedicated game developer jump the the bandwagon. This kind of game, a time sinker that give a false sense of progression is really bad for people and I hate it.

daveo42

Banned
I've recently started playing it on a whim. Not really sure how people can get addicted to it, but I do know almost all of my friends are currently playing the game. None, however, have dropped a cent on it.

It's not bad as a distraction, but nothing more. Still, that number seems a bit on the insane side.

I'm also on that level... Fucken level is glitched on iOS. Anyway I've made it this far with only spending 5 bucks. 5 different levels have pissed me off to no end, in which I used the +5 move mechanic.

yeah i can't beat it cos of a glitch. hope its fixed soon. im trying to not spend anything at all.
really i only play it during dialysis (i have 4 hours to waste lol)

I think the game is great, very polished and very satisfying. i've given them no money though, so i'm happy :)

Castcoder

Banned
I hate myself for contributing to the madness, but to be fair it's a decently designed Bejewled clone. It begs for money at all times, though.

ccbfan

This is my I'm outside waiting for something and have nothing to do and I'm waiting for my puzzle and dragon stamina to recharge game.

My main rant against it is that some levels are literally 99 percent luck .

statham

And this is why developers are turning to mobile games and FTP games. Good for them, wife plays all the time.

SmokyDave

This is my I'm outside waiting for something and have nothing to do and I'm waiting for my puzzle and dragon stamina to recharge game.

My main rant against it is that some levels are literally 99 percent luck .

That's something to note as well. If you find three or four of these games that you really enjoy, you can rotate them so you're virtually never waiting for a recharge. As soon as one is exhausted, another has recharged.

Of course, you have those moments when you stop and think 'why the fuck am I evolving an Alpaca, over and over?!', but I get those moments with any gaming.

Portugeezer

My dad plays Candy Crush and I was surprised when he told me to pay (69p or something) to get the extra levels for him. He is mostly a TV watching guy so I was surprised.

onQ123

The appeal of a game like this isn't touch screen gaming. It's being able to play the thing on your phone using nothing but a touch screen.

& it's also the fact that touch controls are simple & easy for people to get into so when a game becomes big the devs will not have too much of a hard time porting it to the PS4 without changing the gameplay much.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm glad to see any game company succeed, especially when it's not one of the juggernauts like EA or Activision. However, the success of Candy Crush is going to ensure that the future of gaming is nickeling and diming players to death with IAP. Look at the top 20 top grossing games on the Google Play market - other than Minecraft, pretty much everything on there is listed as 'free'.

At this point, I don't even play mobile games anymore - I don't find the idea of playing a game and constantly second guessing it, waiting for the inevitable demand to open my wallet (yet again) to be fun, nor do I get any enjoyment out of the 'I'm gonna play the whole game without spending a single cent, 'fun' be damned' metagame where you're forced to replay the same levels over and over again for days, switching between multiple games with daily cooldowns, just to get some semblance of 'fun' out of the whole thing.

epmode

At this point, I don't even play mobile games anymore - I don't find the idea of playing a game and constantly second guessing it, waiting for the inevitable demand to open my wallet (yet again) to be fun, nor do I get any enjoyment out of the 'I'm gonna play the whole game without spending a single cent, 'fun' be damned' metagame where you're forced to replay the same levels over and over again for days, switching between multiple games with daily cooldowns, just to get some semblance of 'fun' out of the whole thing.

Right. All of the people going on about how you don't have to pay are missing the point. Lots of these games make not paying an awful experience, even if you can eventually do or unlock everything. Very few free to play games have a model that is on par with something like Dota 2.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried this recently, and it's slick as hell. It's your standard match 3, but it's the most polished one I've seen.

Top Bottom