• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candy Crush Saga yields 470,000 ($625K) per day, has 45 million players worldwide

Marjar

Banned
You know, at least stuff like Angry Birds requires some thought and understanding of physics. This game is almost completely luck based.

So insane. My girlfriend has been addicted to this game for awhile now, thankfully she refuses to spend a dime on it at all and she's almost at the end too! I told her it was quite an accomplishment, haha. Kudos to them for pulling those numbers. Personally, I just don't get it.

Damaniel

Banned
Right. All of the people going on about how you don't have to pay are missing the point. Lots of these games make not paying an awful experience, even if you can eventually do or unlock everything. Very few free to play games have a model that is on par with something like Dota 2.

I have to add that I'm certainly not opposed to the F2P model entirely. I've spent about $80 on bag slots and cosmetic microtransactions in Path of Exile. However, that game is very up front about what costs money and what doesn't, and the things that cost money don't affect the game negatively for those who don't pay (other than *perhaps* the bag slots, which also happen to be the cheapest purchase).

All I ask is that a game let me know up front how much it's going to cost to play, and make 'extra' purchases optional. Valve is good at this, and LoL (as much as I dislike MOBAs) also does a reasonable job.

SmokyDave

Right. All of the people going on about how you don't have to pay are missing the point. Lots of these games make not paying an awful experience, even if you can eventually do or unlock everything. Very few free to play games have a model that is on par with something like Dota 2.
But most of the people saying it ain't that bad are the ones that are actually playing the game. It's self-evident that they're not having an awful experience.

epmode

But most of the people saying it ain't that bad are the ones that are actually playing the game. It's self-evident that they're not having an awful experience.

While I know from experience that some F2P games exist where it is possible to enjoy yourself without paying, a great many of them are designed to make this as uncomfortable as possible. That's the entire monetization scheme.

I suspect that many people talking about how "you don't have to pay to see everything!" have already paid to avoid the monotony and constant in-game nagging so common to F2P games. Candy Crush Saga in particular is mentioned in this Gamasutra article as a game that looks skill-based at the start and morphs into pay-to-win.

zroid

Banned
I keep seeing people playing this game while I'm commuting. It's obviously insanely popular, and I can't even begin to comprehend why people are spending so much money on it.

The game seems fine (for what it is), but the monetization model sounds so terrible... ugh, kind of just saddens me, in general.

Cipherr

all the developers that went bankrupt this generation must really feel silly now!

Well you don't 'just' release a Candy Crush either.... Lets not pretend that P&D and CCS are representative of the average mobile game released, because they aren't; No more than GTA or COD is the average console game earnings wise.

My gf is on level 142 or something without paying a cent. She doesn't play as often as she did a few months ago but she still plays few times a week. I played up to level 30 or 40 and said fuck it. Game got too cheap. I helped her on some of the later levels into the 100's and that shit is rigged as fuck. It gets impossibly hard and pure luck based. This game would take years to complete all available levels for free while being legit without hacking.

Eh, fair enough. Can't say as I'm too much of a fan of the random element, but it's perfectly possible to play the game for huge lengths of time without paying a penny. Personally I played the first 65 levels and then knocked it on the head when I had to choose between bugging people on Facebook or paying 69p.

God bless you. You did the right thing. My Facebook feed is sporadically infected with status updates asking for some sort of hookup with this game.

tci

Great on them I guess. Not for the many getting the invites...
God bless you. You did the right thing. My Facebook feed is sporadically infected with status updates asking for some sort of hookup with this game.
I always block the app/game from FB as soon as I get an invite. If only I didn't need FB at all.. Too bad I have to use it for planning and running LAN events. :(

Don't get the hate for this game.

It's fun, highly polished, and entirely possible to play without paying a cent. I'm at level 120 and my girlfriend is stuck at 70 or something, poor lass

Saya

I like this game. It's fun in short bursts. I'm on level 425 and haven't spend any money on it. I don't get why some people get so angry about other people enjoy playing this game.

Tip: once you run out of lives on your iOS or Android version, just go to facebook and you'll see you will have lives there too. The lives don't sync up.

Anyway, I think it's fun. Harmless game.

Ricky_R

Fun game for a period of time. It was a nice variation of the traditional bejeweled-like genre.

Never paid a cent for it though and never will for a mobile casual game. Reached level 147 btw, but got tired of playing it.

My mom plays the crap out of this game. She's almost to level 200. I doubt she's ever paid real money to buy anything though.

Its funny to watch her rant on FB about not being able to complete a level. I usually make a comment about how "its just a game" or "Go outside and play" which were her go to lines when I was complaining about a game when I was younger.

Cynar

Everywhere but on dedicated gaming consoles. This isn't a laughing matter. MS and Sony need these people in order for their consoles to be viable.
They don't. This crowd isn't sustainable. They will dry up and leave just like with zynga games and casual Wii games.

I like this game. It's fun in short bursts. I'm on level 425 and haven't spend any money on it. I don't get why some people get so angry about other people enjoy playing this game.

Tip: once you run out of lives on your iOS or Android version, just go to facebook and you'll see you will have lives there too. The lives don't sync up.

Anyway, I think it's fun. Harmless game.
425?!?! Wtf'ing fuck! Do the levels stop getting more difficult after a certain level or something? Can't imagine what 425 even looks like.

Hip Hop

Is it not possible to build a free to play game where everything is unlocked, but things like skins or other tools that are not game changers/required to play?

Are there F2P like this?

It feels like a reskinned bejeweled. But I feel like a lot of the time I'm getting fucked over by the RNG because "buy our iap crap!", and not due to skill level.

Is it not possible to build a free to play game where everything is unlocked, but things like skins or other tools that are not game changers/required to play?

Are there F2P like this?

Path of Exile is pretty much all available to you, cosmetics are $, and I think extra stash tabs (which you get a few as a f2p, but can purchase more).

edit:damn you computer

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Makes me wonder why these 100+ people studios don't have 1 or 2 of these side-projects targeting this crazy money while developing the hardcore titles.

This is lowest common denominator gaming. If it makes you happy and passes the time, that's fine. I just hate how this kind of stuff is starting to drive gaming culture. If don't care what you play, but I think the influence of games like this waters down the market (which affects me). I am an old fart, and this is just my opinion.

epmode

Are there F2P like this?

Dota 2 game content is 100% unlocked for $0 and Path of Exile is close. It's not a common model but I love it to death.

Einbroch

Banned

Are there F2P like this?

Dota 2. Everything you can buy is cosmetic. Path of Exile is also nice. A lot of the more recent F2P MMOs are like this, too. Old F2P MMOs were the worst. Look to Runes of Magic to see an example of how to do it wrong.

League of Legends is acceptable, but not the best. SWToR is also acceptable, but these two examples are still a little annoying with their pay models. They are not pay to win, but the barriers they put up can get in the way.

MercuryLS

Banned
944931_358270024284707_1194033765_n.jpg

This.

Nibiru

Banned
Path of Exile is pretty much all available to you, cosmetics are $, and I think extra stash tabs (which you get a few as a f2p, but can purchase more).

edit:damn you computer

Not a single part of Path of Exile is behind a paywall. Just stash tabs and cosmetics. The entire core game, end game and all the loot is all f2p. Pretty amazing that they make money and they owe that to the game being really good and the players wanting to support it.

Console game prices really have to drop if they want to see income like that.

There's a reason they are telling you how much it makes a day rather than total. I doubt it's up there with the big boys on PC and console in terms of revenue. Games generating well north of a billion.

Been playing this and refuse to link my FB account or pay a cent for this game.

I just keep rolling with the 5 lives and only play after I've regained lives if I've lost any.

Practically all of my cousins/friends/coworkers are playing this game and I reluctantly started playing because despite knowing how bad these games are for me (I refuse to move on until I 3 star levels), I play it.

Saya

425?!?! Wtf'ing fuck! Do the levels stop getting more difficult after a certain level or something? Can't imagine what 425 even looks like.

It's actually not that hard. What they do is it that the developers throw in a hard level every between the easier ones. Sometimes you just need to get a little bit lucky with the candy colors though. I do like that every 10/15 levels they throw in new challenges and game mechanics (chocolate, pies, candy whirlwinds, bombs, etc.).

Alchemy

Mobile games are so terrible. Its a price race to the bottom for the entry fee, then a cash grab to get people to whale as much as possible. And the best part is there is no brand being built here, no one knows who the hell made Candy Crush off the top of their head and once the fad ceases and the developer scrambles around to make a sequel no one will care.

In a year or two no one will give a shit about this. I believe it was Riccitiello who even pointed out that a franchise like Madden is in its 25th fucking year, but where will Clash of Clans or Candy Crush be in 25 years? When your products boom on the backs of the mass casual market and not specific fans (see NFL for Madden), products get dropped and forgotten all the time. Happened to Draw Something in about a month, and the same thing happened to Nintendo over the course of a few years going from the Wii to Wii U.

Kertiously

Neo Member
I'm currently on level 286 and never spent a penny. I'm addicted unfortunately but I love the fact that I have yet to spend any money.

AxelLund

Banned
Mobile games are so terrible. Its a price race to the bottom for the entry fee, then a cash grab to get people to whale as much as possible. And the best part is there is no brand being built here, no one knows who the hell made Candy Crush off the top of their head and once the fad ceases and the developer scrambles around to make a sequel no one will care.

In a year or two no one will give a shit about this. I believe it was Riccitiello who even pointed out that a franchise like Madden is in its 25th fucking year, but where will Clash of Clans or Candy Crush be in 25 years? When your products boom on the backs of the mass casual market and not specific fans (see NFL for Madden), products get dropped and forgotten all the time. Happened to Draw Something in about a month, and the same thing happened to Nintendo over the course of a few years going from the Wii to Wii U.

Best post ever! This how i feel too!

twofold

Makes me wonder why these 100+ people studios don't have 1 or 2 of these side-projects targeting this crazy money while developing the hardcore titles.

Mobile developers don't need the support of those 100+ studios and their bankrolls to make a successful mobile game. As long as they have someplace to work (a home office, a Starbucks, whatever), they can work on their games in small teams and self publish onto one of the app stores at very little cost. Then, if the game is a success, they get all the profits and the success, instead of the parent company that financed them. I imagine it's difficult for the big studios to entice mobile developers to work for them for this reason. If someone is talented enough to make a breakout mobile hit - why would they want to share the glory with someone else?

Polk

Terrifying news.
Imagine how many CEOs are thinking right now: stop everyting, we need be on that CCS bandwagon stat.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

You couldn't have made Candy Crush Saga as a side project. King only arrived at the level of technical complexity and polish it has after iterating many times on the formula.

Alchemy said:

I would quite happily bet most people who play console games couldn't tell you who the developer was on their console game off the top of their head either (though publisher obfuscation of developers is more the culprit there).

As for the "no brand" part, people said that about Angry Birds too (also the "fad" part). Candy Crush Saga is already a bigger and more global brand than most console games. And certainly more profitable.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
As for the "no brand" part, people said that about Angry Birds too (also the "fad" part). Candy Crush Saga is already a bigger and more global brand than most console games. And certainly more profitable.

And for one Angry Birds, you have dozens of Cityville, Sims Social, etc. What happened to those?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
And for one Angry Birds, you have dozens of Cityville, Sims Social, etc. What happened to those?

And for one Call of Duty, you have dozens of Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, etc. What happened to those?

To take a stab at part answering your question, 26m people a month (6m daily) play Farmville 2 on Facebook currently.

I will never understand the appeal of games that garner mainstream attention.

Angry Birds, Minecraft, Candy Crush.... I dislike all these games

Majukun

player here on tablet,but never ever spent a cent on the game (and thus i'm stuck at level 147).

even though is not an original game by any means,it sure has a good level design and mechanics,i think that is the strenght of the game more than leaderbords..my parents play with it avidly and they don't care about scores

I will never understand the appeal of games that garner mainstream attention.

Angry Birds, Minecraft, Candy Crush.... I dislike all these games

angry birds is easy to pick up and play and has interesting level design
minecraft is virtual lego basically
candy crush has good level design and mechanics

SmokyDave

I'm surprised that this mofo is still sitting at the top of the 'Top Grossing' charts. They must've made an absolute shitload of cash.

Shengar

People indeed DO insane things for (instant) gratification and (fake) accomplishment. Bravo for anyone who can play this game for more than 10 minutes straight without feeling guilty about their wasted time.

Top Bottom