• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Sentenza

He says Ward is too much but he's not ducking him lol
"Right now before fight I can't. Can't talk about it. Too much, you know?"
The guy has an awkward English, sure, but he's just telling to the journalist asking the question "I have a fight with another guy coming, don't bother me with questions about other imaginary match ups".

I'm not even sure how you'd twist this into an undeniable confirmation that there's some "ducking" going on, frankly.

VoxPop

Even as a casual boxing fan (only really watch the bigger fights), I'm pretty damn excited for this fight. I've been keeping up with both of them for a little over 4 years now and I see it as pretty neck and neck going into this with Canelo as the slight dog. Is an Andre Ward / GGG fight possible if GGG makes easy work of Canelo or is that too big of a weight jump for him?

Sentenza

Is an Andre Ward / GGG fight possible if GGG makes easy work of Canelo or is that too big of a weight jump for him?
Honestly I'm not even sure why people are obsessed with this pairing.
Ward is fighting at 175 pounds and talking about moving up and facing Joshua (but I'm not sure I should take that idea seriously), Golovkin at 160.

Even at their closest, few years back, they were 10 pounds away.

Turin

Banned
I don't think GGG was afraid of Ward. It would have been a huge risk for a moderate reward. He wanted that Canelo money.

That fight was only interesting at Super-Middle. Ward's made it clear he won't compromise on weight.

Moze

Banned
Ward is an unknown and can't bring in numbers. He probably wouldn't have brought in much more than GGG's last two fights. Possibly even less.

GGG's whole career is based on him being invincible and unbeatable. If he ever gets beaten, his market value would take a much bigger hit compared to any other boxer taking a loss. It would destroy his career if he got schooled by Ward. And that is exactly what would have happened if the fight happened.

GGG is absolutely ducking Ward. But why wouldn't he? His team know his market appeal.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You are not ducking someone if that person regularly fights 15 pounds above your weight class.

Always find boxing fascinating for this reason. If they want to fight, someone is going to have to budge and give the other an advantage.

kinggroin

Banned
GGG has very little head movement, likes to come forward, and lately has a tendency to overcommit.

Canelo is a high combination counter puncher that loves fighters to come at him.

I'm going with Canelo (round 12 SD), but if GGG breaks through the guard and his chin can handle Canelo's best, it could definitely swing the other way.

Sentenza

GGG has very little head movement, likes to come forward, and lately has a tendency to overcommit.
GGG's defense is based more on footwork and good control over distance.
He doesn't "come forward", he's not the type of brawler that rushes opponents.
As I said I fully expect him to take the first two rounds of this fight pretty much walking around Canelo and jabbing rather than toward him, at least until he'll found an opening.

He's known for carefully picking targets even in the middle of long combos, not for bull rushing people.

Absolutely bizarre revisionism in this thread. Golovkin ducked Ward after claiming he'd fight anyone 154-168. Maybe he meant he'd fight anyone of these weight classes either drained or bloated at 160, no clue, but arguing it's in his best economic interest to not risk losing to Ward honestly makes me wonder if some of you guys actually love boxing. Why would you care about Golovkin's finances? He called everyone out at 154-168 and ended up not fighting anyone at 154 or 168 while instead dragging guys up from lower weight classes every once in a while. Jacobs and Geale are his best wins and Geale looked pretty washed up against Cotto so I'm not sure how close to his prime he was. Maybe Sturm just made him look better than he actually was.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/boxing/post/_/id/1193/middleweight-golovkin-says-hell-fight-anyone-at-154160-168

0741.png

kinggroin

Banned
GGG's defense is based more on footwork and good control over distance.
He doesn't "come forward", he's not the type of brawler that rushes opponents.
As I said I fully expect him to take the first two rounds of this fight pretty much walking around Canelo and jabbing rather than toward him, at least until he'll found an opening.

He's known for carefully picking targets even in the middle of long combos, not for bull rushing people.

Where did I say bull rushing?

He does come forward, but that's predicated on his leading with the jab. His accuracy in that regard has allowed him to control distance with previous opponents which in turn lets him walk them down and dictate pace.

Sentenza

For anyone wondering:

"Golovkin hasn't fought anyone" in this reality translates as "He faced and soundly beaten 8 of the 10 top ranked middle weights, including two belt holders and three former belt holders".
And that's without even going into his career as amateur.

As someone who works in this field, keyboard warriors shitting on top level boxers in an attempt to handwave the achievements of someone who defeated them is one of the worst things in this sport and something I genuinely can't stand.

Sentenza

I like both fighters but honestly wasn't impressed by the Jacobs fight. I think Canelo will win.
I was.
He kept at bay, stalked for the entire fight, out-throw and outlanded an excellent taller, powerful and quick middleweight (who looked more like a supermiddleweight or even LHW on fight night) who can boast a KO ratio comparable to his own.

And frankly I think the Jacobs we've seen that night would give a hellish time even to Canelo. Possibly even beat him.

PR_rambo

Banned
damn...Andre Ward gets zero respect
Nah Ward has been number one on my list for a hot minute. Even before he beat Kovalev. People were calling him boring when he shut down Barrera and then Sullivan goes and outclasses Joe Smith.

He's older though,and has a few years left in him. Canelo is only 27, and is the biggest draw in Boxing who's not from the old guard.

He's whats next, although I personally have my eyes on Errol Spence and Bud Crawford.

EDIT: GGG has absolutely ducked Ward in the past. If he wins this fight, that would probably his best next option for a PVP fight. I don't have interest in him fighting Cotto.

TheCrow

I think people are putting to much stock in their last fight. Of course Canelo looks good against a drained fighter who cashed in a payday vs the second best middleweight.

For anyone wondering:

"Golovkin hasn't fought anyone" in this reality translates as "He faced and soundly beaten 8 of the 10 top ranked middle weights, including two belt holders and three former belt holders".

A little misleading, isn't it? It doesn't account for the strength of the division at all.

His best wins:

1. Jacobs
2. Geale
3. Lemieux
4. Brooke (I hate this fight)
5. Macklin (maybe overrated by me, as I liked him vs. Sturm)

Something like that.

And some other average fighters like Murray, Monroe Jr, Ishida, Prokza, Stevens etc. (I guess Murray is a better win than Mackling, whatever. None of these guys are resume shapingly good.)

That's not a good resume. Not good enough anyway. I can kinda see how you wouldn't move down in weight as you age but surely, sticking to a mediocre division after calling out 154ers and 168ers is a bad look? Sorry, but he beat nobody in my book, relative to how good he is and what could have been. Jacobs is a B tier middleweight (which is more than most MWs of this era can claim to be) who got beaten more thoroughly by Pirog and Jacobs is Gennady's best W by quite a margin. Come on. He ducked the SMW division when it was hot until the top 168ers either retired or moved up to 175 or 200. He's like a 160 Wlad who, unlike Wlad, has no excuses to not move to a better division other than the desire to cling to his streak in a division that's below his level. I'm not saying he has no ambition but his priorities sure are a not sports enthusiast friendly.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Weird to see people talk about resume and ducking and are only talking about GGG, lol

Sentenza

This is my take. If we're being straight about this, Canelo was ducking GGG for a while there.
More than anything it's exquisitely ironic to read that GGG was fighting "just smaller guys" when it happened ONCE against Brook as a last minute replacement for Eubank Jr. while Canelo literally made a career out of it.

Canelo fought Money, Lara, Khan, Trout as well as numerous B tier fighters who'd probably top Golovkin's list of opponents. This thread makes me feel like I entered some parallel dimension.

Jumeira

Banned
GGG strength is frightening, he turned Kell Brook's eye socket to mush now he's finished as a Boxer, i think Canelo will out-box him but he wont be able to hurt him, GGG will just bulldoze through it. If it goes to a full 12 rounds, Canelo will win on points. He just has to survive GGG punches. Its more likely GGG will win by TKO.

Sentenza

Canelo fought Money, Lara, Khan, Trout as well as numerous B tier fighters who'd probably top Golovkin's list of opponents. This thread makes me feel like I entered some parallel dimension.
So smaller guys that in some cases even outclassed him. Got it.

ggg did not duck him and ward lost to kov the first time.

This sounds suspiciously like the truth. What evidence do we have that GGG ducked Ward? And though Ward is a great fighter, Kovalev got robbed in that first fight. It wasn't larceny on the scale of Pac-Bradley I, but he still got jobbed.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be very, very hard for GGG to win a decision. Canelo is younger and has way more buying power on PPV. GGG either needs a knockout, or multiple 10-8 types of rounds that make the outcome so definitive that even boxing judges can't go in the other direction.

No matter what, I think it will be a great fight.

akileese

This sounds suspiciously like the truth. What evidence do we have that GGG ducked Ward? And though Ward is a great fighter, Kovalev got robbed in that first fight. It wasn't larceny on the scale of Pac-Bradley I, but he still got jobbed.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be very, very hard for GGG to win a decision. Canelo is younger and has way more buying power on PPV. GGG either needs a knockout, or multiple 10-8 types of rounds that make the outcome so definitive that even boxing judges can't go in the other direction.

No matter what, I think it will be a great fight.

Well before Jacobs GGG had over 20 consecutive KO/TKO finishes but I do agree with you. If GGG is gonna win it's gonna be a knockout. The longer the fight goes the more it favors Canelo.

The ducking business always seems so misguided. It's a business and these guys are treated like commodities by the people pulling the strings. I fully believe they (and most fighters) will fight whoever is placed in front of them, but the promoters are looking out for what is going to make the most money. If GGG was a bigger draw 2-3 years ago, this fight would have happened then. Canelo's handlers weren't afraid to throw him in with the best boxer in the world when he was green as shit, because they knew they were going to make a mint.

I was.
He kept at bay, stalked for the entire fight, out-throw and outlanded an excellent taller, powerful and quick middleweight (who looked more like a supermiddleweight or even LHW on fight night) who can boast a KO ratio comparable to his own.

And frankly I think the Jacobs we've seen that night would give a hellish time even to Canelo. Possibly even beat him.
I thought Jacobs beat him by 2 rounds. He made ggg look plodding and average in the later rounds.

Sentenza

I thought Jacobs beat him by 2 rounds.
I really, really didn't.
In fact, I think the 115-122 two judges agreed on was already as favourable to Jacobs as I would push it, giving him any dubious round.

But I thought Jacobs fought an excellent competitive fight and he deserves any credit for that.

mnannola

I really, really didn't.
In fact, I think the 115-122 two judges agreed on was already as favourable to Jacobs as I would push it, giving him any dubious round.

But I thought Jacobs fought an excellent competitive fight and he deserves any credit for that.

Going back to watch the GGG Jacobs fight, I think that fight was super close. Jacobs threw some great punches, and that knockdown was barely a knockdown. I had GGG winning by just 1 point, so even in rounds just won because of the knockdown.

Sentenza

Going back to watch the GGG Jacobs fight, I think that fight was super close. Jacobs threw some great punches, and that knockdown was barely a knockdown. I had GGG winning by just 1 point, so even in rounds just won because of the knockdown.

Well, then I'm not sure what can I say apart from "I strongly disagree".
It was competitive, but it wasn't THAT close.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
2017 is boxing year and going off with a hell of banger in december

anyways when is this weigh in... who ever is sexier determins who i root for

its too even

Off topic but I feel this deserves a mention here.

DJx-LpaVYAA0v6s.jpg

Airing on ESPN

Surprised they finally made it. Incredible news. Boxing ending the year on a strong note.

EDIT: They're weighing in the undercard now, BTW, for anyone interested in checking the weigh-in.

Top Bottom