• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman

Banned
I don't mind the pay-for-advantage system as long as the character from those using it appears using a pacifier.

Riposte

At the end of the day, learning how to play any fighting game well is going to require a fair deal of effort. You can't teach effort with a tutorial, any tutorial that bridges a player to a higher level of play is going to demand effort, so I question how far a tutorial can go for players who are not already using online guides and such to improve their game over hours and hours. There's a set of players who don't want to learn, but want to win.

Basically, this is why there is no easy answer to the problem posed by Tsujimoto without hurting the game.

I strongly believe that they will backtrack hard (if they even need to, since they are only considering it), but the philosophy in bridging players of two skill levels without effort is troubling.

TRI Mike

If it's true that they're working on a new SF game then it's great news. The fourth one is fantastic and is pretty much responsile for reviving the genre.

Krackatoa

What they need to do:

• Proper tutorials for each character.
  • Proper systems tutorial. Perhaps have something similar to the Vesper Arcade tutorial, but available for free and integrated into the game.
  • A challenge mode that actually uses practical combos. Highlight why these are good as optional plain text. A write-up of each BnB, and where to use it, is an afternoon of interns working.
  • In-game wiki/lexicon of FG terms and system mechanics.
  • On the extreme side: Look into input buffers for linked normals/specials. Core facets of the engine make the game hard to get into.
  • Jettison Double QCF/HCF motions. These are rarely moves that are "too powerful". Save for mid-range reaction punishes against projectiles/slow pokes, who's really scared of raw ultra? You can compensate by further delaying startup of Supers/Ultras.
  • More comprehensive matchmaking. Give new players the ability to say "Yes, if your matchmaking times out, don't just put me in a match with an A-rank player". More support for 1v1, long-set matchmaking.
  • Better implementation of rollback netcode. A key to a BIG community, is online play. While locals will never go away, you won't reach GIGANTOESPORTS without solid netplay.
  • No pay-for key systems (Gems). If you have to monetize, please, for the love of god, use the League/KI model. Characters on rotation. Vanity items. Namco-style Universal attachments. There's so many ways to monetize that don't revolve around fucking with core gameplay mechanics. Players will benefit more from good tutorials than a $1 auto-block gem.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I guess it's a good thing Ultra SF4 is pretty much the edition of SF4 one could possibly hope for, especially with the Edition Select feature.

It came out in 2009. There's been multiple revisions and SFxT since then.

It's time.
And yet how long has ST been played? MvC2? 3s?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad development is starting, but I don't expect to see a console version till 2019. And I'm perfectly okay with that. I far prefer a 10 year lifespan with support than a new game every few years.

making it more accessible for newcomers
"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously,"
pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

80057-eddie-murphy-fuck-you-gif-Imgu-bD0x.gif

Actually, I'm kind of ok with the idea of more accessibility for newcomers, but how about in the form of educating newcomers in how to play fighters? Better, up-front tutorials for specific and general game mechanics, characters strategies, online practice/training mode, etc.?

.....Are you serious? Have you played 3rd Strike?

Could be why he's calling it the best, imo.

soakrates

Making the game more accessible for newcomers is as easy as reducing the abundance of silly one-frame links and adding better training mode features and tutorials. I'd rather USF4 be the last Street Fighter ever than watch the series disappear into some pay-to-win event horizon.

.....Are you serious? Have you played 3rd Strike?

He's serious. DEAD SERIOUS. Third Strike isn't just the best SF, it's the best fighting game of all time (in my opinion). It has a high barrier of entry but once you are good, it's amazing.

And what a joke if 'pay-for-advantage' actually came to be. Instead of giving the player an advantage in the fight, they might as well just send a postcard directly to the person's house that says: "You are the best gamer ever!!! Thank you for purchasing this post card that tells you that you are the best gamer ever!"

jmdajr

In the end I will probbaly just play single player like usual. All the tutorials in the world can't help my retarded hands.

solarus

We haven't even seen the game yet and Capcom has already completely fucked it up if they go ahead with this. Well done Capcpom.

Bizazedo

Last generation Capcom titles? There were a lot of negative reactions to Dead Rising 2, Strider, Marvel 3, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Devil May Cry 4, and Lost Planet's reveals. When they released, they were all met with really positive reception.

Compare that to Super Turbo HD & RE6's reveals which were hyped to hell, but ultimately lauded by fans.

That's not what I'm getting at. You can screw up a reveal and be fine.

He said we'll see the pay for advantage part and be fine. That's what I was wanting examples of, of people just being okay with pay for advantage and buying the game.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If the translation is accurate, count me out. A fighting game that isn't based on skill isn't a fighting game, its a dead game.

Teeth

Dear Capcom,

Please make a balanced, awesome Street Fighter 5.

Then, fill it to the brim with add-on costumes, individual clothing pieces, hats, masks, gloves, boots, you name it. Price them low individually. Open up a Workshop where your users can make visual mods and you take a cut of everything sold. Reap millions of dollars, engender good will.

Sincerely,
Teeth

Kamek

I would love a cell shaded but not bulky steroided sf5. I would like a return of the "hip hop" jazzy style that 3rd strike did so well. I liked Ryu in tattered clothes. The locales and states were awesome. Some of the stages in SF4 weren't my cup of tea.

Also, I really hope they don't dumb it down.

Some Nobody

Speaking as someone who enjoys fighting games but is pretty terrible at them--you can keep this shit, Capcom. Just an awful, awful idea.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dear Capcom,

Then, fill it to the brim with add-on costumes, individual clothing pieces, hats, masks, gloves, boots, you name it. Price them low individually. Open up a Workshop where your users can make visual mods and you take a cut of everything sold. Reap millions of dollars, engender good will.

Sincerely,
Teeth

you're hired

Jesus fucking christ Capcom. It's like you look at at he succes of CS:GO and Dota 2 and pretend there doesn't exist a market for a deep, rewarding competitive game. What the hell is wrong with you?
Dear Capcom,

Sincerely,
Teeth
I'd go a step further and have "Gym bags" drop during matched and have to be unlocked for more rare things. Including colored fireballs etc.
Just copy fucking Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom