• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

What I'd want, though I know I'd get none of it.

- for them to play some damn Skullgirls and implement as much of their controls as possible. Skullgirls had the best-designed and implemented controls of any FG in history

- Blazblue-style input buffer (will make hitting links much easier , this is also in SG)

- a wakeup option like what RB1 had with Mai where she has a really good quick wakeup, that was super-punishable on block and uncancellable. Would give a way to beat vortexes if you bet the farm. Could work like Yukiko's DP in Persona on average. Make sure it can bust vortexes, even if it means making it instant..

- be willing to ax or heavily modify moves for returning characters to keep it fresh. This is what KOF does and it helped keep many characters fresh and feeling new for years. For example, give Ken a knee bash command grab and nerf the crap outta his fireball. New characters also work here

- don't oversize the roster. Painful cuts have to be made

IronLich

You go, Capcom. You market that game to people who will quit and move on in a week, month tops, and not to the FGC who got you where you are standing now.

Raist

Banned
Pay for advantage? lulz.

If they go for it, they should do this:

Your opponent pays for advantage.
He wins. Good, he wasted money.
He loses, you get a 50% cut form Capcom.

Wow, way to add one thing to a game I was going to 100% buy that will make me not buy it at all if true.

This game will take 5 years to make anyway

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jesus fucking christ Capcom. It's like you look at at he succes of CS:GO and Dota 2 and pretend there doesn't exist a market for a deep, rewarding competitive game. What the hell is wrong with you?
What they need to do has been said, blueprinted, proven, and replicated over and over by various developers.

The execs are so just so far removed from the western world, their consumer base and reality that there's nothing really to say anymore. Even after the corporate restructure or whatever they had a year ago, it appears nothing has changed.

Dahbomb

What they need to do has been said, blueprinted, proven, and replicated over and over by various developers.

The execs are so just so far removed from the western world, their consumer base and reality that there's nothing really to say anymore. Even after the corporate restructure or whatever they had a year ago, it appears nothing has changed.
The restructuring was doubling down on pay to win and mobile shit.

The non existence of Capcom at E3 this year is basically the first sign of that.

Ve1ocity

As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.
Sigh, I'm not even surprised. Whatever Capcom.

Ferrio

Banned
Hands up - who did it. Where does the mob has to head to?

It'd be really interesting to know how much they made. They had to of made a lot from those transactions... I mean I *HOPE* they did...cause this decision makes no sense otherwise.

Either way... we'll be updating this

kXh3UkT.gif

It's mindblowing. The goldmine is right fucking there and they are going in the worst possible direction.

I wwnt to see Valve make a fighter and use Dota 2 as a template. Free everything, with gym bag drops to unlock and clothing items, ppv tournies, and characters cpming out when they are done.

The fighting community deserves a developer that respects them.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You go, Capcom. You market that game to people who will quit and move on in a week, month tops, and not to the FGC who got you where you are standing now.

Basically. We should vote with our wallets and not support them anymore.

This toxic "pay for X shit in game" thing needs to disappear from earth.

Crapcom keeps going down in it's spiral of shit. Wonder what's next.

Agent X

Street Fighter V! Yeah!

Oh, but wait...

Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

You didn't say that.

Tell me you didn't just say that.

it is the best, what you talking about willis?!

3rd Strike is terrible. It's such an unbalanced mess of a game & the worst part is the best character in the game takes the least amount of skill to play.

You understand that no character other than Chun Li & Yun ever won EVO right? In the games like 8 year run, no one but Chun & Yun

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Why does it seem like Japanese companies are the ones totally fucking up this P2W system the most?

DOA5U is a great example of a fine F2P system. They make a ton of money on costumes and cosmetic DLC. I never thought that Tecmo Koei would be as progressive as they are.

AppleMIX

I honestly don't see the point. You're going to have a whole community who is going to buy any expansion you put out. Just make costumes and sell them cheap.

alstein

Well, SFV will get rejected if this is the case, at least competitively.

SFIV will end up being played on PCs in 10 years at Evo 2024, probably down to a 128-man bracket of old geezers by that point. AARP will be sponsoring Valle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's mindblowing. The goldmine is right fucking there and they are going in the worst possible direction.

I wwnt to see Valve make a fighter and use Dota 2 as a template. Free everything, with gym bag drops to unlock and clothing items, ppv tournies, and characters cpming out when they are done.

The fighting community deserves a developer that respects them.
In the fighting game threads we talk about this all the time. Dota 2 is the perfect model, and Killer Instinct has done a pretty good job of progressing towards that ideal. But Capcom barely have a grasp on what F2P entails, or what the level of support is acceptable in 2014.

Valve making a fighting game would be godlike. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a new blockbuster fighting game IP to inject a bit of competition and accessibility-done-right into a genre that always goes for the bare minimum it seems when it comes to releases.

Do what someone said regarding a workshop and user created items that Capcom and the creator can get a cut of.

Just do it
What I'd want, though I know I'd get none of it.

- for them to play some damn Skullgirls and implement as much of their controls as possible. Skullgirls had the best-designed and implemented controls of any FG in history

- Blazblue-style input buffer (will make hitting links much easier , this is also in SG)

- a wakeup option like what RB1 had with Mai where she has a really good quick wakeup, that was super-punishable on block and uncancellable. Would give a way to beat vortexes if you bet the farm. Could work like Yukiko's DP in Persona on average. Make sure it can bust vortexes, even if it means making it instant..

- be willing to ax or heavily modify moves for returning characters to keep it fresh. This is what KOF does and it helped keep many characters fresh and feeling new for years. For example, give Ken a knee bash command grab and nerf the crap outta his fireball. New characters also work here

- don't oversize the roster. Painful cuts have to be made
I assume SG's buffer is somewhere more in the region of Mahvel's. It's a shitton better than those in BB which are just too generous.

Laconic

Banned
3rd Strike is terrible. It's such an unbalanced mess of a game & the worst part is the best character in the game takes the least amount of skill to play.

You understand that no character other than Chun Li & Yun ever won EVO right? In the games like 8 year run, no one but Chun & Yun

Keno eyeing hit-confirm, the game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
We got another source for this? I mean, the translation is confirmed accurate and the JP site here is credible? Eventhubs isn't the most credible site around.

alstein

In the fighting game threads we talk about this all the time. Dota 2 is the perfect model, and Killer Instinct has done a pretty good job of progressing towards that ideal. But Capcom barely have a grasp on what F2P entails, or what the level of support is acceptable in 2014.

Valve making a fighting game would be godlike. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a new blockbuster fighting game IP to inject a bit of competition and accessibility-done-right into a genre that always goes for the bare minimum it seems when it comes to releases.

New AAA FG IP won't make sense for a few more years- market is oversaturated, and skill ceilings frustrate the mass market.

I really think the FGC's future is low-budget games made by hardcore fans for hardcore fans, and probably a move to PC for easier exposure.

I assume SG's buffer is somewhere more in the region of Mahvel's. It's a shitton better than those in BB which are just too generous.

I think it's the exact same (5 repeating inputs)

Werhil

Wow just straight up pay to win huh? I guess at least you could say they are being honest about it.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that Capcom would consider doing this at all, or the fact that there are probably some nerdlords who would purchase the advantage and feel good about the 'wins' they get with it. Of course I can't see any real SF players buying the game in this case, so it would just be the people who pay to win playing each other?

LCGeek

formerly sane

Very well said.

Sick of companies appealing to consumers who will put not real time in to the game or care about it after a certain point.

Yep. People were willing to buy how many revisions of SFIV?

It'd be really interesting to know how much they made. They had to of made a lot from those transactions... I mean I *HOPE* they did...cause this decision makes no sense otherwise.

Either way... we'll be updating this

kXh3UkT.gif

I love this gif so much.

Shitcom gonna shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The restructuring was doubling down on pay to win and mobile shit.

The non existence of Capcom at E3 this year is basically the first sign of that.
Completely forgot about that new mobile studio they invested everything from MH into as well.

We got another source for this? I mean, the translation is confirmed accurate? Eventhubs isn't the most credible site around.
This would be nice. And yeah, Eventhubs will post anything.

New AAA FG IP won't make sense for a few more years- market is oversaturated, and skill ceilings frustrate the mass market.

I really think the FGC's future is low-budget games made by hardcore fans for hardcore fans, and probably a move to PC for easier exposure.
Now is the best time. Market is not oversaturated on next gen consoles yet, plus it's been a while since 2011/2012's avalanche of fighting games. Now is the time to capture people's imaginations.

Krackatoa

I think it's the exact same (5 repeating inputs)

There's no buffer for links in SG. In BlazBlue, it's a universal 5-frame input buffer if you hold the button down. SG uses a wide variety of different buffers to create ease-of-use. For example, in some situations in SG, you have NO buffers for inputs. Just hard links.

10 Frame gatling buffer (I think)
Prejump to Minimum Height Airdash/Normal Buffer
Forward/Backdash Buffer when using 66 or 44 (Not Two Buttons, unless you're airborn... I think)
Normal and special buffer during Flight Mode (Painwheel)
30-60 frame Universal Buffer during Hatred Install (Painwheel)

Then there are occasional buffers peppered throughout the game that I can't remember.

LOOOOL fuck that shit.

You think people are still playing SF4 because it was accessible? Fighting games don't have extreme longevity with casuals, this is a terrible idea. Longevity comes from the hardcore and competitive. Accessibility comes fr barriers to entry, aka is the game fun, and how much does it cost? Basically, DoTA and LoL.

Ugh. Capcom you are really idiotic if this is true.

Riposte

Well, SFV will get rejected if this is the case, at least competitively.

I don't know. I think the main reason something like SFxTK got rejected had more to do with fundamental problems with the game and not DLC gems. If they made a really good game with some stupid bullshit in it, it's only really a matter how much that bullshit spills into everything else. It would be bad press through and through though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom