• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Event Monster Hunter May 31st

Kas

Weird to have an event that close to E3, yet still far enough away for it to be a potential megaton.

I'm guessing MH5 or a port of an existing game to the PS4.

Moodkip

As it stands now, I think most people just want to see a current graphic version of a MH.

Speaking personally, seeing that would be cool, but I'm honestly ok if they keep the current graphical quality of the character/monster models. They look great even on 3DS, and they animate beautifully for the most part.

What I'm more interested in seeing is far more detailed/geometrically complex environments than what the 3DS is currently capable of.

Speaking personally, seeing that would be cool, but I'm honestly ok if they keep the current graphical quality of the character/monster models. They look great even on 3DS, and they animate beautifully for the most part.

What I'm more interested in seeing is far more detailed/geometrically complex environments than what the 3DS is currently capable of.
I'm there with ya :D While fancy PS4 quality graphics would be nice (that stream a while back of the Chinese MH was NUTS...), everything about the game is great as it is. Hell, I'd love it even if it was cell shaded. That would provide a VERY interesting feel to the game. But as long as it still plays and animates as beautifully as it does now, I'm a happy hunter :)

Takao

Banned
Wait, this is already out?! Where the HELL is there media on this? Why haven't I seen a single thing on it anywhere? What's going on! o.o

It came out last summer in Japan. Monster Hunter Frontier G on Vita is just another port of a seven year-old subscription MMO that was already released on PC, 360, PS3 and Wii U. By virtue of what it is, it was never going to get a push.

You'll find media of it if you search for the game's Japanese title. MHFG uses IP-based region blocks, so there are few English videos out there.

nightever

lol

Realistically I can see.

MH4HD (Wii U)
MHF2 (PC/PS4)
MH Mobile (Android/iOS)

No one is making WIIU game. Capcom not even give WiiU a revelation 2. Funny people keep think MH is somehow exclusive to Nintendo. If anything, Capcom is the one never loyal to a platform holder.

If by here you mean America, I'd say that is a safe bet, safer if it lands on a Nintendo system since their marketing push is the reason MH4U is the fastest selling MH in the states.

I do wonder if Nintendo pushed MH4U so hard in order to make Capcom dependent on them somewhat globally - in other words, their logic might go something like...

"We are the reason that MH has seen expanded success overseas. If you would like continued global success, keep MH on our systems."

Nintendo wasn't the sole reason MH brand became globally popular though. MHFU on PSP was the beginning of them all and the popularity just built up from there. MH4U is successful not because it is on 3DS. It's because MH fans are loyal enough to follow the franchise to wherever it goes.

It's really hard to predict where the new mainline will land. 3DS is the safest choice which allows Capcom to keep dev cost down but the system itself is probably reaching the end of its life cycle. PS4 on the other hands is selling at a historical pace globally so a PS4/Vita title seems like a realistic choice, but it will be very expensive to make a current gen MH unless Sony invest heavily into the project.

However, one thing I'm very certain, we won't hear anything about mainline MH from this upcoming event.

It came out last summer in Japan. Monster Hunter Frontier G on Vita is just another port of a seven year-old subscription MMO that was already released on PC, 360, PS3 and Wii U. By virtue of what it is, it was never going to get a push.

You'll find media of it if you search for the game's Japanese title. MHFG uses IP-based region blocks, so there are few English videos out there.
Man, that's disheartening....but thanks Takao, I knew I could count on a fellow VitaCat to set the record straight :D

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Isnt MH4U a form of port begging?

Anyway this PR event could be about MH4U. It should be financially feasible as on technical terms MH4U should be similar to MH3G.

However I predict in the near future, its hard for Capcom to ignore the PlayStation platforms.
PS4 has a number of advantages
1 PS4 / PC crossplay ( SF5 situation )
2 PS4 is now projected to win this generation by a large margin.
3 PS4 has global appeal. (Unlike X1 US/UK only, Wii U japan only)
4 The current platform has been successful, but future success is less certain.
3DS already has 3 releases risking fatigue. New design utilizing New3DS features will fragment the userbase.
WiiU has failed and its on its way out to be replaced by NX
4 Capcom has already invested substantially on PS4 development environment and it should be ready by now
( DeepDown, SF5, Tencent MH online (cryengine) )

Vita version may also come creating an even bigger ecosystem vita + Ps4 + PC. (to be followed by mobile?)

Hawkmosis

Banned
MH4 is my first monster hunter and I love it! Give me more of anything and im happy!
But I dream the unrealistic dream of a ps4 monster hunter.
THINK OF HOW AWESOME THOSE MONSTERS COULD LOOK!

Condom

Normally you would see MH5 being announced this year but the question is if Capcom can still squeeze another game out of the 3DS.

This event they will likely be showing something else I guess.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Thought this crap was bannable? This is gonna shit up the thread and its from the OP.

This is not directed towards you, but honestly: what is so terrifying about MH going to another platform other than 3DS that has Nintendo fans so quick to jump up in arms and call it port-begging? Never understood that.

This is not directed towards you, but honestly: what is so terrifying about MH going to another platform other than 3DS that has Nintendo fans so quick to jump up in arms and call it port-begging? Never understood that.

The same reason why Sony fans reacted strongly when MH3G and MH4 was announced for 3DS.

If Sony pulls out the money hats it could.

Dragon Quest should be cheaper right now :p

It also more worth it IMO for DQ. SE does not care much about the IP in the west anymore, an agreement with Sony can help localize it since Nintwendo seems to have given up :(

Since MH4 jumped straight to G, this generation still needs its equivalent of ,,portable 4th'' before MH5 can come out. The portable moniker doesn't make too much sense anymore though, obviously. So I wonder what they'll do.
Wii U is out of question.

brinstar

While I do think in this case it's fair to speculate for whatever, it does get annoying when every single discussion about Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest on this board turns into "why isn't this on PS4???" instead of talking about the actual game.

Meesh

I'll take it Capcom, Mon Hun anything! Wiiu port, PS4 release, PC, anything! Just give it to me now!!!!

I'll take it Capcom, Mon Hun anything! Wiiu port, PS4 release, PC, anything! Just give it to me now!!!!
Are you not part of the 400k+ who bought MH4U at launch?
Ahu0vPm.gif

Wynnebeck

Banned
While I do think in this case it's fair to speculate for whatever, it does get annoying when every single discussion about Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest on this board turns into "why isn't this on PS4???" instead of talking about the actual game.

The only reason the PS4 is even being discussed in this context is because the PS4 is the de-facto console of this generation. To ignore the PS4 and it's sales is to do so at your own peril especially in this highly volatile industry. Like someone said before, many people want to see MH take that next leap and doing so on the best selling console will help spread MH even more. That's not to say that Capcom has to go into an either/or situation. Both a PS4 and 3DS game can co-exist.

brinstar

The only reason the PS4 is even being discussed in this context is because the PS4 is the de-facto console of this generation. To ignore the PS4 and it's sales is to do so at your own peril especially in this highly volatile industry. Like someone said before, many people want to see MH take that next leap and doing so on the best selling console will help spread MH even more. That's not to say that Capcom has to go into an either/or situation. Both a PS4 and 3DS game can co-exist.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you asked why people were on the defensive and that's why. Like I said, it's been like this with every MH thread. And before PS4, it was Vita.

Frontier 2 could be good, badmouthing a title before its even announced is nuts :eek:

Looking forward to the announcements, but for now im good with MH4 and wont need another MH anytime soon considering how content packed it is. Though MH4 HD on consoles and Steam for people who dont own a 3DS would be cool as well.
I share the same sentiment. Either way will get a 3ds soon regardless, but would like to play this with a controller.

Shauni

No one is making WIIU game. Capcom not even give WiiU a revelation 2. Funny people keep think MH is somehow exclusive to Nintendo. If anything, Capcom is the one never loyal to a platform holder.

Considering how much of a role Nintendo has played in the franchise on their consoles (I believe they marketed and published MH3 and 4 outside Japan, despite Capcom retaining the title as publisher), so it's really not out there to think Capcom and Nintendo have some kind business agreement in regards to the mainline franchise. And it's been insanely successful in Japan, so I really don't understand why people think they are going to just uproot that and take a huge risk in going to another platform. It just makes no logical sense at all.

haxamin

Seeing as though remasters are all the rage these days, what are the chances of seeing a
Monster Hunter Freedom Trilogy HD for PS4?

Hellraider

Seeing as though remasters are all the rage these days, what are the chances of seeing a
Monster Hunter Freedom Trilogy HD for PS4?

Would never happen because of the way mechanics and assets have been used in the series.

A Remaster of MH4U only though is pretty damn possible.

MH is an IP primarily focused on Japan. MH4 sold around 4m units in Japan, on top of 2.5m units by the expansion. These numbers would be unthinkable on any other platform with the current business model. Also, PS4 would entail higher development costs. Also, there's not any certainty about the fact that a PS4 MH would sell gangbusters over here; Dragon's Dogma was a huge flop in Western markets; though not the same game, PS360 rejected a fantasy aRPG from Capcom.

So far, MH3+G has been only exclusively released on Nintendo platforms; MH4+G is following the same pattern. After all, both have been published by Nintendo in Europe (with a huge push in North America). It'd be silly for Nintendo to exert so much effort for a game that eventually will land on other platforms.

May 31st seems so far away

Cant wait to see what its going to entail.

I am really hoping we see Monster Hunter Portable 4th announcement

PS4/Vita Cross play baby

Otherwise? WiiU Port, MHF2 seems likely, Maybe a MH5 tease?

Lots of possibilities

For some reason I am thinking a MH4U DLC expansion(a real one) with extra monsters and levels is possible.

Considering how much of a role Nintendo has played in the franchise on their consoles (I believe they marketed and published MH3 and 4 outside Japan, despite Capcom retaining the title as publisher), so it's really not out there to think Capcom and Nintendo have some kind business agreement in regards to the mainline franchise. And it's been insanely successful in Japan, so I really don't understand why people think they are going to just uproot that and take a huge risk in going to another platform. It just makes no logical sense at all.

Capcom did exactly that when they moved Monster Hunter away from PSP. The most illogical thing Capcom can do right now is ignoring the ridiculous global growth of PS4. Capcom can't just rely on the domestic sale to carry MH anymore, considering how much traditional Japanese gaming market has switched to mobile games. If they want to expand their MH user bases outside Japan, PS4 is the most reasonable choice.

nightever

Funny nintendo fans keep saying Nintendo help expand MH in west. So does Sony. MHFreedom series always sells more than half million in west on the PSP. MH4 and MH4U is in the same range. Nintendo marketing or even publishing is never that magic as some people image. They help DQ, however the series is also not increasing in the west. SE feel free to abandon WiiU as a DQ console platform.

Also MH is a success in Japan on 3ds, yes. But calling it insane? No, none of the 3ds game reach the MHP3 level. The lastest one even showing decline which is the first to MH franchise. In fact, Capcom has been testing water for a proper portable MH on mobile for long time.

I would love to see a next gen console/handheld (PC/XB1/PS4/Vita/Wii-U) Monster Hunter game. Maybe with the success the series just saw in the west Capcom has enough confidence to release in consoles in the west rather than a handheld.

But I'm fully prepared for itsfuckingnothing.gif

Korigama

Another thread full of MH port-begging, this time as early as the OP. Other than a possible MH4U Wii U, which I still don't expect to be a priority for Capcom, I expect nothing console-related.

Another thread full of MH port-begging, this time as early as the OP. Other than a possible MH4U Wii U, which I still don't expect to be a priority for Capcom, I expect nothing console-related.
Is it port begging to hope for a brand new game on a new console now?

Korigama

Is it port begging to hope for a brand new game on a new console now?
In regards to that specifically, I don't believe that it's practical. Console MH just doesn't sell anywhere near as well as portable MH. Even with MH Tri on the original Wii, it sold much less than portable installments, and this was on the console with the highest install base in Capcom's home market. And unless Sony or Microsoft were funding it themselves, I don't picture them devoting the resources to it (they cancelled the PS3 Tri in favor of Wii to cut costs as it is).

Top Bottom