• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Event Monster Hunter May 31st

Producer

In regards to that specifically, I don't believe that it's practical. Console MH just doesn't sell anywhere near as well as portable MH. Even with MH Tri on the original Wii, it sold much less than portable installments, and this was on the console with the highest install base in Capcom's home market. And unless Sony or Microsoft were funding it themselves, I don't picture them devoting the resources to it (they cancelled the PS3 Tri in favor of Wii to cut costs as it is).

but dude, ps4 is selling like hotcakes in the west! they should abandon their main fanbase on 3ds and japan and focus on the west. Stupid Capcom, leaving all that cash on the table.

Meesh

but dude, ps4 is selling like hotcakes in the west! they should abandon their main fanbase on 3ds and japan and focus on the west. Stupid Capcom, leaving all that cash on the table.
I understand the sentiment and would be first in line for PS4 Mon Hun but what about competition with games like Toukiden? I wonder about the impact one would have on the other if any, and does Sony even care to support Capcom and Monster Hunter anymore? One thing is for certain, wherever Monster Hunter goes I'm there, I just hope the fans follow and the series continues selling. :)

Funny nintendo fans keep saying Nintendo help expand MH in west. So does Sony. MHFreedom series always sells more than half million in west on the PSP. MH4 and MH4U is in the same range. Nintendo marketing or even publishing is never that magic as some people image. They help DQ, however the series is also not increasing in the west. SE feel free to abandon WiiU as a DQ console platform.

Also MH is a success in Japan on 3ds, yes. But calling it insane? No, none of the 3ds game reach the MHP3 level. The lastest one even showing decline which is the first to MH franchise. In fact, Capcom has been testing water for a proper portable MH on mobile for long time.
MHP3 is a big irregularity since big part of the fanbase in Japan didn't get Tri on the Wii. They like those games on portable, not because it was on PSP in particular.

I'm expecting the mainline MH games (vanilla and G/Ultimate) to be locked onto one handheld for Japan's sake, but the console port of G/Ultimate to be multiplatform.

Joking aside, a new Portable/Freedom game probably won't happen.

I think a MH5U port for WiiU/PS4 and maybe PC, when that happens, could be likely.

Nanashrew

Banned
What's wrong with that? MH would be region-free and have better controls by default.

They'd also be back under Sony that required them to do things they didn't want to do, so Monster Hunter 3-Tri and the mainline franchise ended up moving to Nintendo. Monster Hunter Tri moved to Nintendo because of Sony ruining a good deal. Plus it's an added bonus with the 3DS because they can reach new people which is good and something they're trying to do, especially in the west.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I will follow to the series where ever it goes no matter if it's a Sony or Nintendo system (Except Microsoft Consoles).

With that said if I were the one making the choice I would prefer Monster Hunter on Sony Consoles because of the following reasons:

-Thanks to the better hardware we would get a Monster Hunter with better graphics
I mean look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWMlmszwOs
I would love it if Monster had that same amount of detail and clarity on MH4U.

-An actual 2nd stick because while the n3DS nub is OK I would prefer and actual right stick

-VOICE CHAT! You guys have no idea how so many moments have been frustrating that could have been avoided with randoms if we simply had Voice Chat.

-I could stop playing the game on this tiny 400 x 240 pixels screen and play it on a screen with a better resolution.

So yeah sign me up for the side that says I hope it comes back to Sony consoles and specially now that Sony is chummy with Capcom right now (look at Street Fighter V).

Nanashrew

Banned
The problem is, MH doesn't sell better on home consoles. It has explosive sells on handhelds and only handhelds. At best you'd get a home console port of the handheld version, at worst you only get the handheld version.

Ridley327

Seeing as though remasters are all the rage these days, what are the chances of seeing a
Monster Hunter Freedom Trilogy HD for PS4?

I can't imagine that being particularly desirable with the advances the series has made since MH3. A trilogy also wouldn't make a lot of sense, since MHFU has pretty much everything from 1 and 2 in it already.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The problem is, MH doesn't sell better on home consoles. It has explosive sells on handhelds and only handhelds. At best you'd get a home console port of the handheld version, at worst you only get the handheld version.

Actually I wouldn't mind it if they did the same thing they did with Toukiden:Kiwami with a PS Vita and PS4 release.

nightever

MHP3 is a big irregularity since big part of the fanbase in Japan didn't get Tri on the Wii. They like those games on portable, not because it was on PSP in particular.

LOL, you are acting like MH4 and 4G is not on a portable console. 3DS user base is the same as PSP, and MH4 is a brand new title without a console version, while MH4 and MH4G didn't reach the MHP3 level.

I'd absolutely kill for MH4 on Wii U or PS4. I don't care which. Anything to make my hands cramp less.

But I don't expect this announcement to be anything close to that.

Nanashrew

Banned
LOL, you are acting like MH4 and 4G is not on a portable console. 3DS user base is the same as PSP, and MH4 is a brand new title without a console version, while MH4 and MH4G didn't reach the MHP3 level.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/20/monster-hunter-4-enjoyed-the-highest-debut-of-the-series/

Up until now, 2010’s Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (released on the PSP) had the best debut in the series. Launched in December 2010, Portable 3rd sold 1.951 million copies in its first week. So, how did Monster Hunter 4 end up outselling it at launch?

The answer lies in download sales. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd had no download version available at launch, but Monster Hunter 4 did, which helped offset shortages at retail. Media Create say that retailers sold about 155,000 copies of Monster Hunter 4 in the form of download cards that can be used to avail the game from the Nintendo eShop, following their purchase.

Additionally, they estimate that approximately another 100,000 copies of the game were downloaded directly off the Nintendo eShop. That would bring total first-week sales of Monster Hunter 4 to around 1.97 million copies in its first week.

That's only counting 2 days while MHP3rd had a full 5 days. MH4 was able to reach 3 million in sales in a month thanks to the combined retail and downloadable sales. However, MHP3rd reached 3 million faster (17 days) because it came out in December for the holiday season while MH4 came out in October. Either way, it blew Capcom's expectations out of the water because they were forecasting lower.

All in all, they're about equal in Japan. Both very strong sales. The more interesting thing though is NPDs and Capcom wanting to reach more people. They're really fighting tooth and nail for it. I was surprised to even see MH4U even make it in the top 10 NPD, and now Monster Hunter is getting an attraction of some kind at Six Flags California. It's neat and I'm happy for them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You are saying as if it will reach MHP3 if it is on a Sony console, when we all know it wouldn't too.

DooD1234

Doesn't the producer of the MH series have similar philosophy as pokemon's producer (don't remember either names right now). Something about the reason why MH is on portable because they want people to go out and meet each other and play a game or two for hunt. Also mentioned why it only on one platform is to avoid fragmenting the fan base. I forgot where I read that interview though.

Whatever this event is, I'm excited as long as it good. I also go wherever MH series go because that feeling of slaying monsters and taking their carcass to make armor and weapons are satisfying.

nightever

You are saying as if it will reach MHP3 if it is on a Sony console, when we all know it wouldn't too.

Except I didn't say so. I said WiiU won't get any MH anymore (Except MHF update, of course). Yeah, yeah, I know, "Any reason why the WiiU won't dominate Japan". Am I right?

Nintendo fans say people are port-begging in every MH thread while they are doing same with WiiU.

NateDrake

All in all, they're about equal in Japan. Both very strong sales. The more interesting thing though is NPDs and Capcom wanting to reach more people. They're really fighting tooth and nail for it. I was surprised to even see MH4U even make it in the top 10 NPD, and now Monster Hunter is getting an attraction of some kind at Six Flags California. It's neat and I'm happy for them.

MH4U's launch in US was the fastest selling MH game in US history. Nintendo needs to keep the series and assist Capcom with pushing it in the West. It is finally catching on and growing a strong base.

Nanashrew

Banned
Except I didn't say so. I said WiiU won't get any MH anymore (Except MHF update, of course). Yeah, yeah, I know, "Any reason why the WiiU won't dominate Japan". Am I right?

Nintendo fans say people are port-begging in every MH thread while they are doing same with WiiU.

Seems more reasonable to expect a port of an exclusive handheld title to appear within the same ecosystem like from Vita to PS4 and 3DS to Wii U. Seems more unreasonable to expect an exclusive handheld title to be ported to a different console in a different ecosystem like 3DS to PS4 or Vita to Wii U. Might have happened on a few occasions but mainline MH is an interesting one that if it transfers to a new system it more likely means the franchise has moved to that system. They're not one to fracture their fanbase, they want everyone to play together in one place. If Vita and 3DS both had MH4U there's a good chance that when people meet up they won't be able to play together.

MH4U's launch in US was the fastest selling MH game in US history. Nintendo needs to keep the series and assist Capcom with pushing it in the West. It is finally catching on and growing a strong base.

Yup! And I'm happy for it!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Nintendo needs to keep the series and assist Capcom with pushing it in the West.

I can see Capcom realizing now might be the time to finally strike while the iron is hot in the US and branch out.

And it's been explained countless times why Capcom moved Monster Hunter to Nintendo due to the restraints and requirements that Sony demanded for a handheld game to be up ported to their home console.

This is not what happened at all. If that were the case, why did MHP3 get the HD version? Capcom had always been looking at the DS as a viable platform for MH, but knew they couldn't bring it to Nintendo due to the hardware not being strong enough. When Sony failed to come to a deal with Capcom, Nintendo and Cap came to an undisclosed deal that put MH on Nintendo consoles for a certain period. Now that the period is coming to an end, we can hear the rumblings.

Orayn

I can see Capcom realizing now might be the time to finally strike while the iron is hot in the US and branch out.

While it could happen, I'm kind of doubtful. It would probably have to be a whole new game since it's fairly unlikely that they'd be allowed to do a straight port of 4/U, and that may cost more than Capcom wants to spend for a market where MH only recently became kinda-sorta successful.

I mean, I prefer MH on console myself and I always quietly cross my fingers for such an announcement, but I understand why it hasn't happened yet and probably won't happen any time soon.

ArtHands

Of cause you didn't, because you can't. It will only support the point of why the franchise is better fit on the 3DS here. MH4 sold 4.1million, more than 7 million if you include MH4U, while MHP3 sold 4.8 million. That's already more than MHP3. I'll say it has more or less matched the sales MHP3 depending on how you look at it.

Nanashrew

Banned

This is not what happened at all. If that were the case, why did MHP3 get the HD version? Capcom had always been looking at the DS as a viable platform for MH, but knew they couldn't bring it to Nintendo due to the hardware not being strong enough. When Sony failed to come to a deal with Capcom, Nintendo and Cap came to an undisclosed deal that put MH on Nintendo consoles for a certain period. Now that the period is coming to an end, we can hear the rumblings.

I remember hearing additional things like Tri was originally meant for the PS3. If I'm wrong I'll retract my statement though.

NateDrake

There is no reason to think Nintendo & Capcom won't come to a new deal. MH is enjoying new found success in the West since partnering with Nintendo.

Xion_Stellar

There is no reason to think Nintendo & Capcom won't come to a new deal. MH is enjoying new found success in the West since partnering with Nintendo.

I'm not about to attribute the success of the game to the platform it released on. Monster Hunter is successful because it's a good game not because it had the "good grace of releasing on a Nintendo Platform".

ArtHands

SCEA and SCEE didn't approve Capcom from releasing it in the West.

rpmurphy

I am ready to be disappointed! Not really expecting any big announcement during a generation transition, especially since we haven't heard anything about a new handheld from either Nintendo or Sony in the first place. Having said that though, if Capcom thinks that Vita could be a viable platform for the next game, I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo knows it and would likely do something about keeping it on their platform.

Mentok

Banned
If it is a WiiU announcement, then I won't care about the Zelda delay. That being said, I'll keep my expectations in check.

nightever

Seems more reasonable to expect a port of an exclusive handheld title to appear within the same ecosystem like from Vita to PS4 and 3DS to Wii U. Seems more unreasonable to expect an exclusive handheld title to be ported to a different console in a different ecosystem like 3DS to PS4 or Vita to Wii U. Might have happened on a few occasions but mainline MH is an interesting one that if it transfers to a new system it more likely means the franchise has moved to that system. They're not one to fracture their fanbase, they want everyone to play together in one place. If Vita and 3DS both had MH4U there's a good chance that when people meet up they won't be able to play together.

Yup! And I'm happy for it!

I'm not expecting a console MH to happen. But if it happens, it won't happen for WiiU, you can mark my words here. Imo, talking mainline MH coming to WiiU is as port-begging as asking MH coming to XB1.

Let's say Capcom make a console mainline MH on everything but WiiU, will Nintendo outrage banned Capcom from releasing MH or anything on 3DS? See.

rpmurphy

I'm not expecting a console MH to happen. But if it happens, it won't happen for WiiU, you can mark my words here. Imo, talking mainline MH coming to WiiU is as port-begging as asking MH coming to XB1.

Let's say Capcom make a console mainline MH on everything but WiiU, will Nintendo outrage banned Capcom from releasing MH or anything on 3DS? See.
There's precedence for a Wii U port though. Like Monster Hunter 3G, the previous mainline title before 4/4G. Where's the 360, PS3, Vita, PC, or mobile port of 3G?

There was also the save transfer feature between the main platform (3DS) and the port (Wii U) for 3G which can be applied for 4G.

There's really nothing more to say about this. If you don't think that 4G will be ported to Wii U, fine. But for people to believe that there is a better chance of it being ported to every other platform except the Wii U... I think would that involve quite a bit more faith than just the former.

Honestly, the port-begging stuff here is overstated. The whole reason why port-begging became bannable was that it derailed discussion of the game in threads where people wanted to talk about the game, not hear people whine that the game isn't coming to their favorite platform. Not a mod so I have zero say in this whatsoever, but it makes more sense in meta-threads like this one where people talking about the actual game are over in OT anyway.

nightever

There's precedence for a Wii U port though. Like Monster Hunter 3G, the previous mainline title before 4/4G. Where's the 360, PS3, Vita, PC, or mobile port of 3G?

There was also the save transfer feature between the main platform (3DS) and the port (Wii U) for 3G which can be applied for 4G.

There's really nothing more to say about this. If you don't think that 4G will be ported to Wii U, fine. But for people to believe that there is a better chance of it being ported to every other platform except the Wii U... I think would that involve quite a bit more faith than just the former.

Initially, some Japanese developer support WiiU a lot. WiiU launch with DQ and MH in Japan which is wonderful lineup for a modern console launch. Although both are old titles, they show developers faith in WiiU, that's why we have a thread asking "Any reason why the WiiU won't dominate Japan" before WiiU launch in Japan.

However, the console bombed everywhere after launch, Japanese developers then abandoned WiiU faster than western. SE didn't give WiiU a DQH although DQX is on WiiU and Capcom didn't give WiiU a revelation 2 although it's on everything. If Nintendo can force Capcom to make a WiiU version, you would have already have it before western launch.

rpmurphy

Well, yeah. There certainly are legitimate arguments as to why there is a low chance of a Wii U port, like for the reasons you said. It doesn't mean though that this gives other platforms a better chance like some here may be thinking, since there are other problems such as around userbase and compatibility. Maybe these can be resolved? I don't know.

Oregano

Right and if MH4U had sold bad on 3DS it would have been the time to finally strike to build popularity in the US. So either way we get the same PS4 conclusion.

Sony blocked Capcom from localizing Portable 3rd HD.

As to the bolded: I don't think we've heard any rumblings whatsoever. Can you give an example?

However I do think a Sony platform release is a strong possibility, but I'm not sure we'll get PS4 level assets. They will want to have assets usable for the portable games which are the guaranteed money makers.

I wonder why a third party company always seems to be "forced" somehow to make games on a Nintendo platform, while it should release everything on other platforms without making deals or having some kind of exclusivity contracts.

Nothing prevents Capcom to make another deal with Nintendo, given how successful the IP has been on 3DS. Actually, it makes even more sense now then back then, when no MH appeared on DS.

Right and if MH4U had sold bad on 3DS it would have been the time to finally strike to build popularity in the US. So either way we get the same PS4 conclusion.

Sony blocked Capcom from localizing Portable 3rd HD.

As to the bolded: I don't think we've heard any rumblings whatsoever. Can you give an example?

However I do think a Sony platform release is a strong possibility, but I'm not sure we'll get PS4 level assets. They will want to have assets usable for the portable games which are the guaranteed money makers.

Mh sells well on nintendo systems: it's time to go PS4
Mh bombs on nintendo systems: it's time to go PS4.

DQ has to be PS4. MH5 has to be PS4.

Sigh...

Top Bottom