• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom FY2012 3Q results: RE6 at 4.8m, RE5 at 6m

Bruno MB

So much for DMC: Devil May Cry reaching a larger audience.

Resident Evil 6 will miss its original forecast by around 30%. It's quite surprising that they managed to ship 300,000 additional units this last quarter since there must be tons of units sitting on shelves.

Edit: Well, in Japan its first shipment was sold out, but at best they shipped 100,000 more units and I'm probably being generous.

Nope, it was smaller than DMC4's.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...9632635/regarding-dmc-sales&pg=last&528145063

If movie ads are expensive as you say they are, then they must've spent a bunch of their budget on that.

He never said that. He said he would despute that it was significantly larger.

It still doesn't rule out my hypothesis. The money was available until it was seen to not be making an effect. It's rather interesting that at first the pre-order bonuses were just the weapon skins, then all of a sudden vergils downfall popped up. The fact that it isn't ready close to launch suggests to me that VD was originally just planned as regular DLC but had to be made a preorder bonus because the weapon skins were not bringing people in.

People still dragging that shit up? The guy said he'd love his game to be successful and sell 10million units. His comment is taken so out of context, he says 1)He would love it to sell 10million 2) He knows Capcom can sell a lot and make the game successful
The dumbass journalist just sticks the two comments together like they're supposed to fit and GAF went to town on the guy wanting his game to be a success.

ezekial45

Banned
He never said that. He said he would despute that it was significantly larger.

It still doesn't rule out my hypothesis. The money was available until it was seen to not be making an effect. It's rather interesting that at first the pre-order bonuses were just the weapon skins, then all of a sudden vergils downfall popped up. The fact that it isn't ready close to launch suggests to me that VD was originally just planned as regular DLC but had to be made a preorder bonus because the weapon skins were not bringing people in.

To be fair, most pre-order bonuses are announced just a month or two prior to release. They're still announcing stuff for MGR, and we just heard about the VR mission DLC.

But yes, what you said seems sound.

Endo Punk

So 1.2 million > 2 million > 2.5 million > 5 million.

Very successful venture if I say so myself :/

oh and obligatory feel of..

sleepykyo

So 1.2 million > 2 million > 2.5 million > 5 million.

Very successful venture if I say so myself :/

oh and obligatory feel of..

5M was never an actual goal. It was 2 mil. And supposedly pc margins are pretty good, so there is the feeling of 2M units.

Endo Punk

5M was never an actual goal. It was 2 mil. And supposedly pc margins are pretty good, so there is the feeling of 2M units.

I cannot believe that Capcom didn't want DmC to exceed DMC4 sales which were 2.4 million. The very fact they had their eyes set on a bigger audience shows they wanted more than 2 million sales, a whole lot more.

What the 2012 financial year has to teach capcom if anything is they need to do ALOT of soul searching as a company. From Asuras wrath, to DD, to RE6, to Steel battalion, to DmC there have been more than their fair share of high profile failures, born purely from arrogance towards their target markets than the fact the games were genuinely unredeemably bad products in themselves, (well apart from SB) It didn't help that the game that was supposed to end the 2011 year, SFxT, was a monumental failure for the exact same reasons. The only game that exceeded expectations recently did so on pure luck and was probably was their one of their worst games in years (RE:ORC)

But honestly, I still dont think they have learnt their lesson and this year so far seems to be a lot quiter year for them in terms of high profile releases.

Time will tell.

AJ_Wings

Dragon's Dogma deserves so much more. Probably my favorite Capcom game since RE4. It's a good thing we'll at least get an expansion pack and probably a next gen sequel.

Resident Evil 6 must have had some serious production costs for it to be a failure in sales when it has reached close to 5 million sold copies.

Perfect example of why this franchise doesn't need Michael Bay influenced gameplay scenes.

They didn't need to make 3 campaigns. They should have focused on making a good game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But RE5 Gold isn't included in RE5's figures either.

By the way, what is Japan's best selling HD console game this gen? It can only be RE5 or FFXIII.

Final Fantasy XIII reached 1.8m+ I believe (for PS3 version only, not including the budget hits and 360 version).

RE5 is 1m if you include all versions.

Edit: if you mean worldwide, it looks like RE5 and FFXIII are heavily tied (FFXIII shipped 6m, but Kagari says it actually sold around 4.9m).

Dave1988

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Keep lowering your expectations, Crapcom. Go low enough and Donte may Cry may actually reach your sales expectations. XD

On the topic of RE sales. This just proves that a game doesn't even have to be good. Just slap on the RE title on it and it'll sell like crazy.

Bruno MB

Capcom's initial forecast for fiscal year ending March 31, 2013

ibqpJ7zusohV2n.JPG

-Cwalat-

Keep lowering your expectations, Crapcom. Go low enough and Donte may Cry may actually reach your sales expectations. XD

On the topic of RE sales. This just proves that a game doesn't even have to be good. Just slap on the RE title on it and it'll sell like crazy.

That doesn't hold for long though. If they keep doing this with RE it will see the same failure as DmC.

I'm starting to think Capcom really wanted these two titles to fail.

I'm stretching it a bit to much now but hear me out:

Capcom knew these titles haven't changed that much throughout the years. So they thought if they released these to titles that would fail it would mean that the titles released after them would earn back the trust of th...... fuck it. Capcom are screwed up. They are the biggest numbnuts in the industry. How can you ignore fans and expect the same fans to buy the game? It's always a stupid strategy to ignore the customer.

Neglect the customers and you will never sell anything to them ever again, it's common knowledge.

Capcom needs change of management and they need to develop a more closed down RE experience a la RE 1. It all played out in one location and it is known as the greatest RE game and perhaps the greatest survival horror game of all time. We don't need these huge Michael Bay set pieces with bikes, helicopters, trains, cars, jets, rockets etc etc...

God damnit!

Dragon's Dogma deserves more sales, since it's one the best new IPs in this generation.

Dark Arisen is your second chance player, don't screw this up.

Glass Rebel

- Resident Evil 6: 4.8 million (up from 4.5 million initial shipment -- New RE6 Forecast: 5 million)

Capcom: "the flagship title "Resident Evil 6" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion."

- Resident Evil 5: 6 million (up from 5.9 million)

RE6 shouldn't have a hard time reaching 5m with continuing slow sales and the PC version coming in March. RE5 numbers are out of reach though. I haven't played the game yet so I can't comment on the feasibility but they should try a "re-launch" and package the game with a tutorial, patches, future DLC and some improvements as a Gold Edition. The sales reception of RE6 was without a doubt due to the abysmal review scores but I don't think the franchise is completely beyond repair (financially speaking). It'll be interesting though how Revelations HD is received and we've already heard about Capcom reevaluating their strategy with the franchise. I can't say if that's a good or bad thing though. From 7m to 6m to 5m is awful no matter how you stretch it though, especially with the huge team that worked behind it.

- DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Awful. Regardless of how I feel about the game (I liked it but was still disappointed in several areas) this shows that the reboot did more harm than good. I never thought it'd reach 2m to begin with but didn't think they'd revise their forecasts down to 1.2m. I really expected 1.5m to be a lock. Just shows that DMC didn't need any rebooting and that you don't fuck with your fanbase. Maybe the great reception will give it long legs because taken outside of the context of the franchise and all the PR the game deserves more.

Worst case scenario: DMC franchise is put on hold for years, Capcom cuts ties to Ninja Theory.

Best case scenario: DMC5 by Itsuno, Ninja Theory on different Capcom franchise or something new.

- Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million (up from 1.2 million)

1.3m is a bit disappointing but it's not bad for a new franchise. Dark Arisen and the rumoured PC version should get some more sales but they really have to get out guns blazing when Orbis and Durango hit. They need to have Dragon's Dogma 2 out by 2015 and include a real co-op mode, it could be huge.

- Operation Raccoon City sold an extra 650,000 units in North America and Europe in FY2012.

How?!

Any mentions of Lost Planet 3 or Remember Me?

JaxJag

Banned
At least if this was the last entry of the Devil May Cry franchise, it went out on a high note.

DmC is the pinnacle of the franchise.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
At least if this was the last entry of the Devil May Cry franchise, it went out on a high note.

Amongst all the doom and gloom for Capcom as they slide into obsolescence/that Monster Hunter company, at least somebody provided a hearty laugh
lol.gif

Riposte

The sales reception of RE6 was without a doubt due to the abysmal review scores but I don't think the franchise is completely beyond repair (financially speaking).?

I can't really back it up, but I'd sooner blame the demo. I'm not convinced reviews scores have that much of a visible effect on how much a videogame sells.

You would class it as an action game? Maybe it's worth a punt then. I thought it was another demon souls type game

Demon's Souls is also an action game.

I regard it differently within that area simply because how much aerial combat (and by extension: the shadow of colossus climbing combat) matters.

It's a stroll through the countryside game with sporadic trips into action. Watch some videos before investing. As good as it is, it's not for everybody.

Yeah, it didn't look like my kind of thing. But the original is cheap enough to give it a go.

See I'm past knocking people who love DmC but if I recall correctly, you said you had limited experience of all the other games in the series.

How exactly would you know it's the pinnacle if you haven't invested a lot of time in its predecessors? Serious question?

Edit: never mind, I must have been thinking of someone else. Your taste is bad, but you are welcome to your opinon.

Finish DMC3 on DMD. Then we can talk about the pinnacle of the series.

Glass Rebel

I can't really back it up, but I'd sooner blame the demo. I'm not convinced reviews scores have that much of a visible effect on how much a videogame sells.

I'd say a sub-70 metascore and a 45/100 review from Gamespot can have a very bad effect on your sales but I agree that the demo and word of mouth definitely played a role as well.

Riposte

I'd say a sub-70 metascore and a 45/100 review from Gamespot can have a very bad effect on your sales but I agree that the demo and word of mouth definitely played a role as well.

Yet here we have a scenario where you exclaimed "How!?" because ORC is still selling.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just went on Capcom's wiki to see their games...
If it weren't for Monster Hunter they'd be in a pretty dangerous place.

I mean lets franchise runthrough:

MegaMan: dead
Onimusha: dead
Dino Crisis: dead
Viewtiful Joe: dead
Okami: dead?
Breath of Fire: deeeeaaaaaaaddddddd
Sengoku Basara: I dunno, lol
Devil May Cry: outsourced and sales not confirming that as good idea
Lost Planet: outsourced, entirely different gametype, doomed, oh and we're not allowed to play EX Troopers
Dead Rising: outsourced and exhausted that IP in short space of time
Street Fighter: overexposed (AGAIN), tarnished by terrible Tekken game
Vs. Capcom: UMVC3 rubbed plenty of people up the wrong way
Darkstalkers: Is coming I guess?
Resident Evil: Franchise in a bad way after too many bad games
Dragon's Dogma: clumsily assembled, underperformed, but best thing they've made recently (so of course they punish launch buyers with Dark Arisen as retail only)
Phoenix Wright etc I guess AA5 is actually coming...
Remember Me: I won't.
Monster Hunter: whats keeping them ticking

Yet here we have a scenario where you exclaimed "How!?" because ORC is still selling.

I think people wanted a multiplayer RE and ORC offered that and had an enough distinct look to garner some interest, basically, what Capcom wanted to pull with RE6, ORC did it

Dave1988

You would class it as an action game? Maybe it's worth a punt then. I thought it was another demon souls type game

Yeah, the combat is suprisingly fun. Just don't expect DMC-levels of depth from it. DD has probably the best Sorceror class I've seen in any RPG, though. The high level spells are just mindblowingly awesome.

EDIT: The patched in Hard setting should provide you with some manner of challenge. At least until you hit level 80 lol

I mean lets franchise runthrough:

MegaMan: dead
Onimusha: dead
Dino Crisis: dead
Viewtiful Joe: dead
Okami: dead?
Breath of Fire: deeeeaaaaaaaddddddd
Sengoku Basara: I dunno, lol
Devil May Cry: outsourced and sales not confirming that as good idea
Lost Planet: outsourced, entirely different gametype, doomed, oh and we're not allowed to play EX Troopers
Dead Rising: outsourced and exhausted that IP in short space of time
Street Fighter: overexposed (AGAIN), tarnished by terrible Tekken game
Vs. Capcom: UMVC3 rubbed plenty of people up the wrong way
Darkstalkers: Is coming I guess?
Resident Evil: Franchise in a bad way after too many bad games
Dragon's Dogma: clumsily assembled, underperformed, but best thing they've made recently (so of course they punish launch buyers with Dark Arisen as retail only)
Phoenix Wright etc I guess AA5 is actually coming...
Remember Me: I won't.
Monster Hunter: whats keeping them ticking

Dreadful stuff. Wonder if they'll expand their handheld stuff; their 'worldwide' releases just seem to be complete bombas. Then ofc theres Remember Me that...maybe your right not to tempt their fate but I'll just say its looking like a total embarrassment.

The only 3 franchises I care about from Capcom. RE used to be there. I should try RE: Revelations.

You should. The best thing I feel for the franchise is if they just take a few years on Revelations as a spin off; then do a new game just called 'Resident Evil' with a new range of characters.

Revelations is a lot of fun. Its disappointing as I felt they should have learnt from it when developing RE6.

cvxfreak

We can't forget the RE faithful. I'm sure they number at least 1 million worldwide on the HD systems, and a smaller subset of that go for other titles like Revelations, Mercenaries 3D and Darkside Chronicles.

ORC's sales can also partly be explained by the timing of its release, which was in the final week of the previous fiscal year, so the 650K number should include the 350K or so it sold in Japan during this fiscal year. So an extra 300K in the 9 months following the first week isn't so outlandish...

Glass Rebel

We can't forget the RE faithful. I'm sure they number at least 1 million worldwide on the HD systems, and a smaller subset of that go for other titles like Revelations, Mercenaries 3D and Darkside Chronicles.

ORC's sales can also partly be explained by the timing of its release, which was in the final week of the previous fiscal year, so the 650K number should include the 350K or so it sold in Japan during this fiscal year. So an extra 300K in the 9 months following the first week isn't so outlandish...

Interesting, I had no idea about the Japanese release. But yes, RE has a relatively big fanbase and still some brand strength.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seriously, where the hell is Sengoku Basara? SB3 came out in 2010 (great success), and Utage in late 2011 (pretty well). Where's the next chapter, why is Capcom waiting so much?

Kouriozan

Seriously, where the hell is Sengoku Basara? SB3 came out in 2010 (great success), and Utage in late 2011 (pretty well). Where's the next chapter, why is Capcom waiting so much?

Yeah I'm also waiting the new Sengoku Basara, I was pissed because Utage was never released outside of Japan.

Road

Nope, it was smaller than DMC4's.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...9632635/regarding-dmc-sales&pg=last&528145063

If movie ads are expensive as you say they are, then they must've spent a bunch of their budget on that.

If DMC4 had more marketing money than DmC, I wouldn't be surprised if it came from Microsoft or Sony rather than Capcom.

What would help the title now is a soft relaunch at a lower price, a SE edition of you will.

Yeah, a "GOTY" edition with all the DLC (and maybe even more) would be a good way to make more cash from this project.

At this point, DmC2 would be a next-gen game and I doubt ~1 million copies are enough to justify the development of it any time soon (maybe it could start when engines and devs are well adapted to PS4 and 720 in like 2 or 3 years, so it would all be cheaper).

- Operation Raccoon City sold an extra 650,000 units in North America and Europe in FY2012.

How?!

The report is from April -> December, so these copies weren't shipped last month, but during the launch period. The total remain 2.2 million as it was 3 months ago: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Games that changed the total:

- Dead Rising 2: 2.4 -> 2.5 million
- Devil May Cry 4: 2.6 -> 2.7 million

Xater

Yeah I'm also waiting the new Sengoku Basara, I was pissed because Utage was never released outside of Japan.

Then you are waiting for no good reason. Capcom is never going to release another Sengoku basara outside of Japan. To them SB3 was a big disappointment in the west. Then again they had totally unrealistic expectations. Going with the anime synch was probably also a huge waste of money. Should have gone subtitles only.

The whole concept of the multiple campaigns and how they intersected was probably the best thing about RE6 and kind of a nice callback to RE1 and 2. Too bad virtually everything else about the game was totally mediocre or shit.

Top Bottom