• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom lied again: Dimps making SF4

bud

The-Switcher said:
There was nothing to be embarrassed about before this.

Hell, the latest loketest was overwhelmingly positive about everything in the game.

Just....why would Capcom keep this a secret for so long?

... have you ever seen this game?

ivysaur12

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Wait.. are you fucking serious?

Fucking seriously? WHAT? :lol :lol :lol

I thought Capcom said they were making this internally? WHY WOULD THEY LIE LIKE THIS!!?

TOSE is a completely awesome development company that gets way more shit than they deserve. If they weren't so awesome, HUGE companies like Konami, Enix, and Nintendo themselves wouldn't entrust them with developing their biggest franchises. TOSE is solely responsible for awesomeness like Dragon Quest Monsters, Rocket Slime, the Starfy series, Super Princess Peach, Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, and countless other big titles. TOSE IS AWESOME.

DIMPS made the worst RPG I've ever played, Tales of the Tempest, which was a BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT.

WTF CAPCOM.

I didn't say TOSE was a bad company. They just both develop a ton of shit... secretly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This gif is quite appropriate for the situation.

25r15p1.gif

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Capcom fell off. There's no current-gen equivalent to the 80's/90's greatness that made them a household name.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't see what this changes. the game looks good, and impressions from pretty reputable sources have been saying that at this stage of the game, it's pretty ace.

fernoca

I think it mostly depends on a few things:
-Franchise
-Developer
-Publisher
-Director

Is the same thing as to why many can't still believe that Game Arts went from making Grandia III and Lunar DS..to Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

So far, it seems they (Dimps) are doing a great job with Street Fighter IV.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dimps is developing DBZ Burst limit which seems to borrow SF3's super arts system, seems like they have SF on the brain.

People seem to like SF4, so I don't see why the dev being dimps matters all too much.

Considering how amazing the game is looking visually and the positive impressions from the latest version, well from anyone who's actually following the damn thing!!!.....tell me why I'm giving a shit about this Dimps thing again?

sp0rsk said:
Dimps is developing DBZ Burst limit which seems to borrow SF3's super arts system, seems like they have SF on the brain.

People seem to like SF4, so I don't see why the dev being dimps matters all too much.

For me, it's just the fact that douchey US Capcom official said the team working on was an internal capcom Japan team.

Which, according to EGM, it isn't.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Firestorm said:
It is hard to believe Capcom outsourced Street Fighter 4.
Not really, Ono makes a point of mentioning in just about every interview that the heads at Capcom didn't want to make this game and it was mostly him pushing them into it.

Also you can be sure that Dimps isn't playing a purely "tech" role in the development. I'm sure they have a lot of say in the design of the game, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they designed all of the brand new characters from the ground up themselves. Capcom would be dumb to spend all the money it takes to hire such a high profile development house (because of all the money the Budokai series has raked in) and not let them handle a great deal of the game's actual design on their own.

Anyways, I think this game looks awesome and the Budokai series are solid games so I still have high hopes for this game.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The-Switcher said:
For me, it's just the fact that douchey US Capcom official said the team working on was an internal capcom Japan team.

Yeah, that's not so cool. Then again, if they had said dimps from the beginning, I doubt many would give it much of a chance.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The-Switcher said:

To be fair, Capcom Japan could have told them it was an internal team. Especially since alot of Japanese publishers call Dimp developed games internally developed

Dali

From what I've seen the game still looks amazing. The most recent high-res screens looks like a painting in some shots. This revelation at this point in time means nothing. Actually if we'd have know before production Dimps was going to be developing it, then it still would mean nothing as it would have ended up looking as good as it does now anyway.

The-Switcher said:
Well hopefully if Capcom markets MGS4 efficiently, they'll be able to make recoup from this loss.
Wrong company

sykoex said:
Not really, Ono makes a point of mentioning in just about every interview that the heads at Capcom didn't want to make this game and it was mostly him pushing them into it.

Also you can be sure that Dimps isn't playing a purely "tech" role in the development. I'm sure they have a lot of say in the design of the game, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they designed all of the brand new characters from the ground up themselves. Capcom would be dumb to spend all the money it takes to hire such a high profile development house (because of all the money the Budokai series has raked in) and not let them handle a great deal of the game's actual design on their own.

Anyways, I think this game looks awesome and the Budokai series are solid games so I still have high hopes for this game.
Daigo Ikeno is the character designer, likely with input from Ono. I doubt Dimps has much influence on the game's overall design. From interviews it seems like it's Ono's vision that's being realized.

Dali said:
From what I've seen the game still looks amazing. The most recent high-res screens looks like a painting in some screens. This revelation at this point in time means nothing. Actually if we'd have know before production Dimps was going to be developing it, then it still would mean nothing as it would have ended up looking as good as it does now anyway.

Wrong company

You ruined the long running joke!! Now go sit in a corner!!

jarrod said:
TOSE also made RE0, which Capcom also lied about. :lol

Capcom has such a bad reputation for lying. They aren't to be trusted.

Capcom 5 we swear!!!
I'LL CUT MY HEAD OFF IF RE4 GOES MULTIPLAT - now you can play the game on FUCKING CELL PHONES
DMC PSP OMG!

fuzz you scamcom

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
Yeah, that's not so cool. Then again, if they had said dimps from the beginning, I doubt many would give it much of a chance.

This.

I mean, can you really blame Capcom for basically just not being entirely forward in telling the truth. You bamas couldn't handle the truth! :lol

Any way, this just goes back to prove what I had thought all along: Capcom HAS no fighting game development team any more, they lost it all by the end of Capcom Fighting Jam. Now those people are either in other teams within Capcom's brass, or may have just left the company totally.

So any way, this doesn't really change any thing with me, as far as this game is concerned. I'll still give it a fair shot, but I was never expecting a revivifying of the genre, courtesy of SF4.

Bebpo

Banned
It's really really really good for DIMPS then by all impressions.

People might have to start taking them seriously after this.

jarrod said:
TOSE also made RE0, which Capcom also lied about. :lol

They assisted with RE0, they didn`t make it from scratch.

Actually, Tose mainly port games and assist in development rather than develop from scratch.

Some games they`ve assisted with include Final Fantasy 7 (Probably the mini games, since they run on a different engine) Kid Icarus, DQ8 (Sound Engine), FF8 (Sound engine again IIRC) and Advance Wars Day of Ruin (Listed in the credits interestingly enough! as additional map layout)

I guess Capcom has devoted their entire internal development resources to RE5 and Monster Hunter 3 since every single one of their other published games are now confirmed to be outsourced!

Oh well, there goes my interest in SF4 since Dimps fucking suck (Yes that includes the POS Sonic handheld games)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sorta reminds me of the whole YI2 ordeal after we found out that Artoon was developing it.

jarrod said:
TOSE also made Ultimate Ghosts N'Goblins too! :lol

The last major Capcom developer lie I remember was REUC (which cavia made).

Fuck off no way! Are Tose listed in the credits? (I literally just got the game yesterday so I haven`t seen them yet)

What`s your source?

jarrod

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
They assisted with RE0, they didn`t make it from scratch.
No, they assisted with REmake. They were centrally involved in basically every level of game design for RE0.

jarrod

Banned
Oblivion said:
Sorta reminds me of the whole YI2 ordeal after we found out that Artoon was developing it.
Ditto.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Fuck off no way! Are Tose listed in the credits? (I literally just got the game yesterday so I haven`t seen them yet)

What`s your source?
Credits. Tose Software, Neuron‑Age, Capcom.

lupinko

The-Switcher said:
Capcom US owns the rights, but the game is being made in Japan.

I mean...THAT has to be for sure, right?

Capcom USA project sent to Capcom Japan who then outsourced it to Dimps. Just like how Capcom Japan outsourced Sengoku Basara X to Arc System Works.

The only thing Capcom Japan provided was artwork and the fact that they are producing and overseeing the project.

The only arcade games Capcom Japan makes inhouse nowadays are the Gundam Vs. Series for Banpresto-Bandai-Namco. The latest being Gundam vs Gundam, which is funny if you think about it.

jarrod said:
No, they assisted with REmake. They were centrally involved in basically every level of game design for RE0.

Weren`t they mostly involved with the porting process from N64 to GCN? I seem to recall hearing that from somewhere...

Someone needs to keep an archive of Tose developed games going (The wiki sucks and has hardly any games at all!)

If Dimps are ex-SNK people and if some SNK people were ex-Capcom people (post-SF2 / dev'ed Samurai Shodown series, IIRC) then maybe the dev has come full circle?

It's a stretch but ya never know ;)

jarrod said:
Ditto.

Credits. Tose Software, Neuron‑Age, Capcom.

Wow! learn something new every day I guess! (Never heard of Neuron though)

Funny how quite a few companies are now starting to list Tose in the credits by name!

Dali

Pein said:
dimps is great the dbz budokai games are pretty damn good
I don't know about great, but I don't see why people are saying 'dey must prove tehmselveses'. They've got the DBZ games and the Rumblefish games under their belt. They aren't a horrible developer. The graphics on the DBZ games were pretty amazing at the time and the techniques used on clothing in RF were pretty innovative as well. This isn't their first fighting game and they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. To top it all off we've seen the game and people have actually played it and said it wasn't bad.

So why all the doom and gloom again?

Top Bottom