• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom lied again: Dimps making SF4

Haunted

TOSE is so cool. Development ninjas. I like that idea.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yesterday

GAF: WOW, Dimps is making Sonic Unleashed Wii, great, it will be good!!, even better than X360/PS3 versions!! WOOT!!!

Today

GAF: ARGH!!! Dimps is making SF IV!! Do not want!! FUCK YOU CAPCOM!!!!

Seriously, WTF GAF?!!

WTF?!!
That's because people who have a DS know that they're quality (from their Sonic Rush titles for example), while ignorant people haven't heard of them before. Mostly informed people were in that other thread, mostly ignorant people are in this one.

And Draglade was pretty damn good.

Dachande

Amazing. It all makes sense to me now. No wonder it doesn't look any good and is just SF2 with 3D. Fucking Dimps are making it.

I didn't know they were making Sonic Unleashed either. I can confidently let that drop off my radar as well.

jarrod

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Weren`t they mostly involved with the porting process from N64 to GCN? I seem to recall hearing that from somewhere...
The game was basically remade for GameCube... it's almost nothing like the abandoned N64 rev.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Someone needs to keep an archive of Tose developed games going (The wiki sucks and has hardly any games at all!)
It's not complete, but GDRI has the best roundup I've seen on the net.

<3 <3 GDRI!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dali said:
I don't know about great, but I don't see why people are saying 'dey must prove tehmselveses'. They've got the DBZ games and the Rumblefish games under their belt. They aren't a horrible developer. The graphics on the DBZ games were pretty amazing at the time and the techniques used on clothing in RF were pretty innovative as well. This isn't their first fighting game and they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel.

So why is this doom and gloom again?

Well, by all rights, most would agree that Capcom is a vastly superior developer to Dimps, no? That being the case, why would you want some body less qualified to possibly handle the game design for a popular series?

Dali

Oblivion said:
Well, by all rights, most would agree that Capcom is a vastly superior developer to Dimps, no? That being the case, why would you want some body less qualified to possibly handle the game design for a popular series?
That's the thing. Capcom isn't more qualified. Not now at least.

Oblivion

Dali said:
That's the thing. Capcom isn't more qualified. Not now at least.

I know people loath the graphical style of the game, but from a game design standpoint, you don't think?

Dali

Oblivion said:
I know people loath the graphical style of the game, but from a game design standpoint, you don't think?
The people that loathe the graphical style probably haven't been following the updates. The decision to go 3D probably wasn't Dimps' anyway.

From a design standpoint? I dunno exactly the strengths or history of every Capcom employee, but as has been mentioned they don't make fighting games anymore. So if I had to guess I'd say right now Dimps has more experience with fighters than Capcom.

TreIII

Oblivion said:

That would be a much more poignant statement to make, again, if Capcom STILL had an actual fighting game development team.

Again, they lost whatever bona fide team they had after CFJ, with its members either leaving the company altogether, or finding work in another branch of the company (I know some are actually involved with the BASARA series, at this point).

But whatever way you swing it, the likes of Team Red Beret are long gone. So Capcom isn't in any position to make anything better...suffice to say.

Have Dimps ever made a game with a bigger budget like SF4? Maybe the problem with their previous games wasnt so much lack of talent as lack of time and money?

Barakov

Gold Member
Dali said:
I don't know about great, but I don't see why people are saying 'dey must prove tehmselveses'. They've got the DBZ games and the Rumblefish games under their belt. They aren't a horrible developer. The graphics on the DBZ games were pretty amazing at the time and the techniques used on clothing in RF were pretty innovative as well. This isn't their first fighting game and they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. To top it all off we've seen the game and people have actually played it and said it wasn't bad.

So why all the doom and gloom again?

Because now we know. Chun-Li's thumb.....IT'S ALL DIMP'S FAULT.
Sorry, I've got nothing.

hiryu

Does it really matter who programs this? As long as Capcom is handling the play balance and overall quality I don't see why it matters who programs it.

jarrod said:
The game was basically remade for GameCube... it's almost nothing like the abandoned N64 rev.

It's not complete, but GDRI has the best roundup I've seen on the net.

<3 <3 GDRI!

Thanks mate! There`s another list on the sdi Development Table site (It`s in japanese though, OMG Metal Gear Ghost Babel!)

If you google "tose" and "Kid Icarus" you`ll find an English translation of it on the 5th or 6thish link (Can`t do links on Wii :( )

Also, Tose have done all of EA`s handheld Maddens up until 2007 (They took it in house then)

hiryu said:
Does it really matter who programs this? As long as Capcom is handling the play balance and overall quality I don't see why it matters who programs it.

Dimps will almost certainly won`t be just doing programming and yes it does certainly matter! Crap developers tend to write crap code you know!

Oblivion

Dali said:
From a design standpoint? I dunno exactly the strengths or history of every Capcom employee, but as has been mentioned they don't make fighting games anymore. So if I had to guess I'd say right now Dimps has more experience with fighters than Capcom.

That would be a much more poignant statement to make, again, if Capcom STILL had an actual fighting game development team.

Again, they lost whatever bona fide team they had after CFJ, with its members either leaving the company altogether, or finding work in another branch of the company (I know some are actually involved with the BASARA series, at this point).

But whatever way you swing it, the likes of Team Red Beret are long gone. So Capcom isn't in any position to make anything better...suffice to say.

Oh, I haven't been following Capcom very closely, so I didn't know they closed down whatever team that used to develop their fighting games. I suppose that hurts my argument a bit...

as others have already posted, i fail to see how this revelation is worth getting upset about considering the favorable impressions so far.

vala

Oblivion said:
Oh, I haven't been following Capcom very closely, so I didn't know they closed down whatever team that used to develop their fighting games. I suppose that hurts my argument a bit...

The guys responsible for making the fighting games recently made Zack & Wiki, DMC 4 and the Monster Hunter series!

hiryu

Nuclear Muffin said:
Dimps will almost certainly won`t be just doing programming and yes it does certainly matter! Crap developers tend to write crap code you know!

The problem with that is the impressions from all the play test have been overwhelmingly positive.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Well from a technically standpoint from impressions, I don't think you have much to worry over the game being a coded mess.

The Hermit

jett said:
lulz at Capcom USA. Why do you have to bullshit us?

Well, this thread is proof enough...

Anyway, I watched the Tiger vs El Fuerte video this morning and though it looked awesome, the graphics in the last batch were ridiculously good, and the characters so far are pretty good (though it still need Makoto...) so I really think it´s pointless arguing about the developer without even playing the game.

jarrod

Banned
More secret Capcom Japan outsourcing this and last gen for the curious....

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Crimson Tears (PS2) I.T.L.
DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Dino Crisis 3 (XB) Hit Maker
Dino Stalker (PS2) cavia
Final Fight One (GBA) Sun-Tec
MegaMan & Bass (GBA) Klein Computer Entertainment
MegaMan X Collection (GC/PS2) OeRSTED
MegaMan Zero (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan Zero 2 (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan Zero 3 (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan Zero 4 (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan ZX (DS) inti-Creates
MegaMan ZX Advent (GBA) inti-Creates
PowerStone Collection (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Resident Evil 0 (GC) TOSE Software
Resident Evil: Dead Aim (PS2) cavia
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) cavia
Steel Batallion (XB) Nudemaker
Steel Batallion: Line of Contact (XB) Nudemaker
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts R (GBA) Affect
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (GBA) Klein Computer Entertainment
Ultimate Ghost 'n Goblins (PSP) TOSE Software

...I wonder who secretly ported Lost Planet PS3? :lol

ethelred

Chris Michael said:
DIMPS made the worst RPG I've ever played, Tales of the Tempest, which was a BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT.

WTF CAPCOM.

The worst RPG you've ever played? Really? Hmmm... So you, who knows not even a smattering of Japanese, imported a game that had already been lambasted by all who'd played it, just so you could get that firm and comforting sensation that it truly was awful? Fascinating...

bluemax

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Does any major studio actually make their games internally these days?

Very few. I had no idea how much subcontracting went on in the industry until I joined the industry. Two of my first projects were subcontracts of subcontracts.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What about the Capcom people that are heading up the game, like Yoshinori Ono?

BitchTits said:
Rumble Fish was a pretty decent 2D fighter.

Sadly, this will probably go ignored by 90% of the people here.

MoxManiac

jarrod said:
More secret Capcom Japan outsourcing this and last gen for the curious....

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Crimson Tears (PS2) I.T.L.
DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Dino Crisis 3 (XB) Hit Maker
Dino Stalker (PS2) cavia
Final Fight One (GBA) Sun-Tec
MegaMan & Bass (GBA) Klein Computer Entertainment
MegaMan X Collection (GC/PS2) OeRSTED
MegaMan Zero (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan Zero 2 (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan Zero 3 (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan Zero 4 (GBA) inti-Creates
MegaMan ZX (DS) inti-Creates
MegaMan ZX Advent (GBA) inti-Creates
PowerStone Collection (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Resident Evil 0 (GC) TOSE Software
Resident Evil: Dead Aim (PS2) cavia
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) cavia
Steel Batallion (XB) Nudemaker
Steel Batallion: Line of Contact (XB) Nudemaker
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX (PSP) Klein Computer Entertainment
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts R (GBA) Affect
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (GBA) Klein Computer Entertainment
Ultimate Ghost 'n Goblins (PSP) TOSE Software

...I wonder who secretly ported Lost Planet PS3? :lol

You forgot Crawfish did SFA3 GBA

jarrod said:
Yeah, but that wasn't "secret". :D

I really wish Capcom had bought Crawfish out....
Inti-Creates developing the Zero/ZX games isn't a secret either... it's on the bootup screens.

Anyway.... Dimps. Interesting.

Teknoman

rpgfan16k said:
:lol :lol :lol How did I miss this? :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: Guys, Sonic Rush is the only good game they've ever made. DIMPS is responisble for alot of the anime game schlock on the market (Inuyasha ps2, for example), and they're also to blame for that disaster known as Tales of the Tempest on DS.

AS far as I'm concerned, if this is true, SF4 just went from INSTABUY to DO NOT WANT.

BZZT. Budokai 3 is damn good for an anime fighter.

Askia47

So does this make SF4 a piece of shit now? Ono is over heading it, Daigo designed the characters, the game looks awesome. Its probably a joint Project. OVER REACTION TOTAL.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
The worst RPG you've ever played? Really? Hmmm... So you, who knows not even a smattering of Japanese, imported a game that had already been lambasted by all who'd played it, just so you could get that firm and comforting sensation that it truly was awful? Fascinating...

It's pretty damn bad. I can't name 10 rpgs in the last decade that are worse, let alone 5.

Tenbatsu

So the rumor in the old SF4 Kotaku news turn out to be true.....

http://kotaku.com/gaming/breaking/street-fighter-iv-first-screenshot-330625.php

Quoted from Kotaku
2D or 3D? That's been The Street Fighter IV question that's been kicked around the internet. First details about the DIMPS developed fighter reveal that the graphics are polygonal, but the gameplay is apparently 2D. Game site 1Up (via EGM) reports that there will be new moves, locals and game play. Things that will be the same? The six button control scheme. Returning characters include Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Dhalsim. No word on who will round out the rest of the fighters, but we honestly hope that Capcom doesn't take a page out of Super Smash Bros. Brawl PR handbook and let info trickle out until release. (Though, we're actually cool with infinite Street Fighter IV spin-offs.)

What's more, we don't know which platforms the game will be on. Looking at Capcom's recent M.O., we're guessing Xbox 360/PC/PS3. And since it's a Street Fighter game, it should pop up in Japanese arcades. So, let's cut the gibble-gabble. What do you think of the first released screenshot?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
SF4 looks great and it's my most anticipated game.

I hope 360/PS3 versions come sooner rather than later...if only arcades weren't dead. :(

Zoramon089 said:
Well the difference is that they've made 2 good Sonic games. Chances are they aren't going to screw up the next one if they stick to the same formula (as opposed to Sonic Team...) but they haven't made an SF game before

Did you know that they made the Advance series and Sonic Battle?

ethelred said:

You doubt me? I played it, I didn't think it would be as bad as everyone said it was, and it was awful. It doesn't even really have a battle system, it's like the hack n' whack gameplay of something like Kingdom Hearts but you're on a "leash" of 3 lines. AI is fucking retarded, party members MUCH more so. The graphics are good in some areas, fucking hideous in others. There were some enemies so horrendously designed that I couldn't even tell what the fuck they were... the "blob" accusation has never been more appropriate. Half the animations look fucking retarded. The map is empty and enormous. There aren't even any freaking puzzles aside from some shitty slide puzzle, the ENTIRE GAME is nothing more than "GO TO POINT B, THEN POINT C, THEN POINT" etc. Story was as generic as generic gets.

Awful piece of shit. Everything was broken. The only thing that was halfway decent was the music, and that's because for whatever reason Sakuraba involved himself with this project.

I should also add that the game was like 15$ when I bought it so that's what pushed me over the edge.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
At this point, who really cares? All the SF2 fans are lapping this shit up, and people seem to actually enjoy the game.

And, I don't get why Tose gets hate. I think they were the ones that made/help make Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, which is just as good as the console games. In some cases, better.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:
BZZT. Budokai 3 is damn good for an anime fighter.
It was damn good, but it's still second tier. SF is a top tier tournament caliber fighting heavyweight, sharing the company of titles like Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Tekken and Fatal Fury.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
:lol

Oh Capcom. :(

Oldschoolgamer said:
At this point, who really cares? All the SF2 fans are lapping this shit up, and people seem to actually enjoy the game.

And, I don't get why Tose gets hate. I think they were the ones that made/help make Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, which is just as good as the console games. In some cases, better.
The reason why these teams are hated is because their quality is all over the place. There's no way of knowing if their games will turn out decent or shit.

plovie said:
Do all the other Dimps games look as ugly as SF4?

DUUURRRRRRRRR

943709_20080317_screen021.jpg

The-Switcher said:
The only real reason Capcom fails this gen, is their total lack of anything Final Fight. Be it a compilation package, XBLA/PSN game, or otherwise.

UTTER FAILURE.

Oh god!

Shut up.

They'll probably let some stupid fucking Caucasians make another shitty 3D sequel like that piece of shit they made for Xbox/PS2! >:O

MOAR HD 2D DICKGURLZ PLZ!

Top Bottom