• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Now Considers Dragon's Dogma a 'Key Brand'

Draugoth

Gold Member
dragons-dogma-capcom-key-brand.large.jpg

The year is 2024, and we now live in a world where Capcom considers Dragon's Dogma to be one of its "key brands". According to the publisher's latest financial report, the action RPG series currently sits alongside the likes of Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter as a pillar property.

Sure, it's just some wording in a document, but this is still a fairly big deal when you think about the relatively humble beginnings of Dragon's Dogma. The original game released in 2012 and was, by most metrics, a bit of a flop. It immediately established a hardcore audience, but it was far from being the fantasy RPG blockbuster that Capcom wanted.

via Pushsquare

PanzerCute

I mean with the insane investment made around the series, they should.

Good news tho, obviously.

Now it is time to release Pragmata and have a top new IP (hopefully)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Great news. Hopefully this means more support for DD2, and maybe another sequel later on with more effort put into it.

Astral Dog

I never got the impression Dragon's Dogma was a flop, sure it didn't got the sales of blockbuster western games (at first,Dark Arisen made up for that),but for a new ip ,one that didn't had perfect reviews or even anything remarkable outside of the combat,was good.

The reason it took so long to see a sequel was that Itsuno and his team wanted to bring back the Devil May Cry series in a big way,from what i remember Itsuno was asked what he wanted to work on at the time and he picked DMC

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I love it but it definitely needs some tweaks here and there. 2 was a way more bland world and experience over 1.

Hudo

DD2 deserve better . Feel like its a demo for capcom to test the tools , open world and AI for the next RE / MH game .
I had this feeling as well. That DD2 is a proof-of-concept for something. A fun proof-of-concept but it felt lacking. Maybe it was me who was just overhyped. I dunno. But I kinda dropped playing it after 20 or so hours because I wasn't really feeling it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I had this feeling as well. That DD2 is a proof-of-concept for something. A fun proof-of-concept but it felt lacking. Maybe it was me who was just overhyped. I dunno. But I kinda dropped playing it after 20 or so hours because I wasn't really feeling it.
I had a ton of fun and eneded up putting 130 hours into it. The game is just so fun to play.

But yeah, it could and imo should have been much more. The main quest sucks, some sidequests are too simple and the game has only 2 really new vocations and barely new enemies when compared to DD1.

The lack of Evil Eye hurt me personally, one of my fav creatures from fantasy stuff and they go and remove it from the sequel.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Curious that before, no one paid attention to Dragon Dogma.... I did support it in its launch year with PS3. And it turns out that out of nowhere, and journalism... They already like the franchise. 🙄🙄🙄

Great news. DD2 could improve in many aspects (although the criticisms are exaggerated), but the IP has enormous potential. Could be Capcom's Zelda or Elden Ring.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah.I trully hope so as I love this franchise but Capcom has made statements like this in past that amounted to shit.
It's one of their best no doubt about it, just like the first Lost Planet (for example) which they need to remake at some point - there's far more they can do now with this IP and make a much better game, cuz what they did after the first one is.... ugh.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
Good news but DD2 needs a ton of work and new content…Hopefully they’ll follow Monster Hunter Worlds Title Updates releasing expanded content periodically then a large expansion like Iceborne/Bitterblack

Top Bottom