• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom plans to sell 10.3 million copies of games released this f year (MvC + MHW +?)

Toxi

Banned
Judging from the initial responses- it's clearly appealing to the west with machine guns and no fun jingle.
The jingle and "so tasty" are both confirmed in, LOL

It will only be on two home consoles to start, and both with online modes locked behind a paywall. It's been a long while since MonHun Coop was not free. I have doubts of it coming close hitting 3DS numbers, Wii like numbers again seems almost likely.
Wii numbers? Tri sold less than 2 million.

Also, unless you think Capcom can sell Monster Hunter on 3DS and PC until the end of time, they're gonna have to switch to a console with an online paywall.

Namco's doing the DBZ Beta right before it comes out. They want to kill MVC:I dead.

And honestly? They have a good shot at it.
It's a closed beta with limited time slots to play. Doubt it will kill MvCi dead. I think MvCi will underperform but it will at least do SFV numbers. DBFZ isn't coming out until later next year.

Oberon

Banned
For the FY of this report, it will not be on PC. So that will not contribute to meeting this expectation.

It's NOT coming to PC?
It's like Capcom is activally working against itself

The jingle and "so tasty" are both confirmed in, LOL

Wii numbers? Tri sold less than 2 million.

Also, unless you think Capcom can sell Monster Hunter on 3DS and PC until the end of time, they're gonna have to switch to a console with an online paywall.

As of June 30, 2012, over 1.9 million copies have been sold on the Wii.[57] As of December 31, 2015, 2.6 million copies have been sold on the 3DS

From wikipedia. It sold a combined 4.5 millions on 2 super popular platforms. Can it really break these numbers?
It is coming to PC, just not the same day as consoles.

My bad then.

Vena

Well for Japan's needs, local ad-hoc can't really be "paywalled" so that would remain valid for the domestic market on the Switch.

But every console will hit it with an online paywall unless exemptions are somehow made.

Toxi

Banned
Well for Japan's needs, local ad-hoc can't really be "paywalled" so that would remain valid for the domestic market on the Switch.

But every console will hit it with an online paywall unless exemptions are somehow made.
Good point.

From wikipedia. It sold a combined 4.5 millions on 2 super popular platforms. Can it really break these numbers?
3 Ultimate=/=Tri

This would be equivalent to a future "World Ultimate" getting released on the Switch.

Atheerios

The thing is Monster Hunter World won't have the mainstream appeal people think.

Lots of fans may buy it in western markets, but I doubt it will introduce a lot of new people to the franchise.

Outside of forums and MH fans, I haven't met a single person who cares about the game yet.

Vena

The thing is Monster Hunter World won't have the mainstream appeal people think.

Lots of fans may buy it in western markets, but I doubt it will introduce a lot of new people to the franchise.

Outside of forums and MH fans, I haven't met a single person who cares about the game yet.

Anecdotes like that are pointless.

A better metric is media penetration, and article generation. Which, frankly, the title does currently lack but the marketing hasn't really started... unless Capcom thinks its current behavior is "marketing".

Fiendcode

3 Ultimate=/=Tri

This would be equivalent to a future "World Ultimate" getting released on the Switch.
This reminds me though, will Capcom even be able to do World G releases on PS4, XB1 and Steam? On 3DS they could still get away with it but fans were already complaining about not having 4G and XX as dlc at least optionally. I can't imagine that flying on the current consoles really.

Spacejaws

Rerelease Dino Crisis in europe and make that 20 million.

Not really just wondering if Capcom's executives are that stupid one might read this and bring it to the board. I'm doing my part!

KtSlime

Yeah, though it won't be on PC in Japan.

Which is disappointing. This is pretty how a lot of people react to seeing World here:

"Wow cool, that looks great, what a monster eating another monster, crazy? Oh, so it's one big area. Ah, it's for PS4 and PC? Oh, I can't be with friends when I play, that's too bad, it's a lot of fun playing at a friends house eating and drinking and goofing around. I know! I can bring it on my laptop, oh? there is no PC version in Japan?"

Makes you wonder if Capcom knows how their fans play the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Doesn't sound that impossible if we carefully count possible range for various mid tier games
MHW has been developed to aim for a higher result than MH4 so I think that 5 millions is the baseline

With luck, Resident Evil: Revelations Re-Re-Remastered Edition should sell at least 500,000 copies within the first few months of release.

Sayad

This reminds me though, will Capcom even be able to do World G releases on PS4, XB1 and Steam? On 3DS they could still get away with it but fans were already complaining about not having 4G and XX as dlc at least optionally. I can't imagine that flying on the current consoles really.
They're most probably going with DLC.

PantsuJo

This is true

ggx2ac

Capcom has HIGH expectations for Monster Hunter World, believes they will achieve their 10.3 million units sales goal:

This is Google translated but you can interpret it.

Q: The number of new projects for the full year in Consumer is 10.3 million units, which is on par with the previous term, is not it a bullish setting as the year after the release of "Resident Evil Resident Evil"? I would like to ask about the future prospects including the expectation for "Monster Hunter: World" released this season.

A: The number of new plan for the full term is composed of 37 titles (SKU base) including the transplant title etc. of the past work of the past work, so I think that achievement is sufficiently possible. In addition, "Monster Hunter: World" got a good feeling, such as getting high evaluation at the announcement of E3. Looking ahead, we will try to maximize sales by not only acting on the Japanese market but also actively implementing policies in Europe and the US market.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/explanation.html

This is true

What about Dark Souls? Wasn't Demon's Souls in that same position before that came out? I convinced 5 people the day after E3 just from showing them the trailer for World, and I know they've shown a few of their friends as well. Dark Souls' popularity pretty much came from word of mouth. Most people would probably turn down Monster Hunter now just because they're on portable systems. Yes the 3DS had more overall sales than PS4, but definitely not that many people play it on a daily basis compared to consoles just because that's just what's available to them at home, though I believe the Switch is slowly changing that.

Monster Hunter has all the makings of what could be a huge game. The company just has to figure out how to market it.

Why not have a traveling sales cart thing with merch for the series like they have at ..comic con i think? Have little demo stations set up to try it or one of the other games in the series. They need engagement in the form of demos and places for people to try out the game before they buy.

Hell it'd be so damn cool to be walking down the street and you see posters and stuff with like "HUNTERS WANTED" with quest information on the monsters.

janoDX

and 4-5 million for monster hunter world alone.

They will not sell 4-5 million with MHW on the fiscal year, the last mainline MH release on consoles barely sold 2 million.

Maybe they will get the number over-time, with the PC release and if they go for the Switch port.

Clawww

Japanese corporations are the worst when it comes to predictions. Capcom and Square Enix are among the biggest offenders.

Does anyone know if it has anything to do with corporate culture or bullshitting shareholders or something like that? Like, maybe they know the projections are inflated, but they're putting them out there for some reason.

Or just Capcom being dumb?

yurinka

I bet until March 31th MVCI will ship 1.5M and MHW 3.5M.
-SF 30th anniversary collection announced at the anniversary (August 30th or Gamescom).
-Super SFV free update announced at Gamescom or PSX.
-Street Fighter EX 4 (final name for Arika's game) announced at PSX, beta available just after the conference.

DMC 5 alone would not pull 5 million copies.
Nice joke, especially when looking at sales from previous DMC entries.
PS:Never forget Marvel vs Capcom 2 has 55 characters, Long live the King..
By rehashing most sprites from X-Men COTA, MSH, X-Men vs SF (with rehashed sprites from SF Alpha games), MSH vs SF, Marvel vs Capcom 1, SFA games, Darkstalkers, etc.

The first game in the series, X-Men COTA had 12 characters.
SFV started with 16 -not rehashed sprites-, now has 26 plus 2 more confirmed and at least a 3rd season with more.
We still don't know the total amount of MVCI at launch or after its seasons.

They should definitely expect more western sales than they achieved on the 3DS, but expecting total sales higher than their region combined 3DS sales is probably a stretch.

If they really expect that, good luck to them. They better do some damn marketing.

Chindogg

Their forecast is not crazy.

They moved MH from 3DS to the western darlings PC/PS4/XBO.

They have all rights to expect more.

A niche game in the west isn't going to magically sell another 4 million in the west because it's on PS4 and PC. Meanwhile they may lose a lot of their original Japanese audience who preferred in person co op via portables.

It's one hell of a gamble for them.

Strings

Everyone's forgetting about the western release of Monster Hunter Stories! Yeah! WOO! 5m ez.

Game sucks.

Jawmuncher

A niche game in the west isn't going to magically sell another 4 million in the west because it's on PS4 and PC. Meanwhile they may lose a lot of their original Japanese audience who preferred in person co op via portables.

Yeah. Even considering the series has been doing progressively better in the west. They'd have to market very aggressively to make up for the lack of potential support from japan. I wish the best for MH. But I just don't see them magically grabbing this whole new and large audience like they think they will.

Thus far none of their gambles have really worked outside adding coop to RE5.

I think it will but it will crawl to 2m..

PS:Never forget Marvel vs Capcom 2 has 55 characters, Long live the King..

Yeah but a lot of the characters in that game were pretty shit tbh. MVC2 was essentially a giant sprite dump of every character they've had in the VS. series up to that point, so the game is overflowing with a bunch of random X-Men and Street Fighter characters hardly anyone cares about.

Any roster that has two Wolverines can jump off a cliff lol

Sayad

A niche game in the west who's last appearance on a popular console there still broke the 1M point, and its popularity only grew since then! Is now launching on three popular platforms, while falling more inline with what works in the west(high end graphic, less archaic mechanics, seamless world, etc)! It's not as big of a gamble as some making it out to be.

Chindogg

A niche game in the west who's last appearance on a popular console there still broke the 1M point, and its popularity only grew since then! Is now launching on three popular platforms, while falling more inline with what works in the west(high end graphic, less archaic mechanics, seamless world, etc)! It's not as big of a gamble as some making it out to be.

1) Xbox One is not popular, let's not bullshit ourselves here.
2) It's delayed on PC.
3) It's on PC in the west only.

The bulk of those sales will have to be from PS4. Tri was 2 million on the 2nd highest selling console of all time. That popularity growing that you're talking about was on portables.

Yes, they have a much bigger hill to climb than you think.

KtSlime

2) It's delayed on PC.

The bulk of those sales will have to be from PS4. Tri was 2 million on the 2nd highest selling console of all time. That popularity growing that you're talking about was on portables.

Better grafix solve all probs dogg. Never mind playing with friends, gimme those pixels.

/s

Sayad

2) It's delayed on PC.

1) Not popular for Japanese games, I'll give you that.
2) When has this hurt PC sales if the port/game is good?!
3) Not like Japanese PC sales amount to anything, really!

- When Tri came out on the Wii, its install base in the west was about 60m, that's only 5 millions more than the PS4 install base in the west right now and by the time the game comes out the PS4 will most probably have a bigger western install base, with a much smaller chunk of that install base being casuals who only picked up the system for motion control games
- Japanese 3rd party games have been preforming much better in the west on PS4 than they were doing on the Wii
- Not popular X1 install base will probably be more than 30m by the time MHW comes out and the PC's is much, much bigger!
- Word of mouth, which have always worked for MH favor in the west, is a much bigger factor in games sales now than ever before, especially on PC

That popularity growing that you're talking about was on portables.
I'm talking about brand awareness over all, it's much bigger now, and it's not like the amount of people who game on portable but not on consoles/PC in the west is worth mentioning!

Better grafix solve all probs dogg. Never mind playing with friends, gimme those pixels.

/s
It sure as hell worked out fine for Persona 5, Guilty Gear Xrd and the Naruto games, which western performance was barely worth mentioning before "looking good". And if we're talking about playing with friends, it might be hard to notice if you're mainly gaming on 3DS, but otherwise, it's way more popular to do so online in west.

VariantX

Does the Western market even care about Monster Hunter? I dont see that game doing over 2 million.

It largely doesn't outside of the dedicated group of people who play on portables. Capcom never took the time to build up that brand as a big console title. I don't even think the resident evil franchise at its peak can help them get those kinds of numbers in a year. Their marketing push better be on point.

Jawmuncher

Also I still think accessibility will be a hurdle. I'd argue getting into Monster hunter is a harder endeavor than Demons Souls. Mainly due to the frame specific gameplay it has on offer. I'm curious to see if the small changes will be enough to entice a whole new audience and not just a few people.

Top Bottom