• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom plans to sell 10.3 million copies of games released this f year (MvC + MHW +?)

Sesha

The trailer for the DMC4 that we wound up getting (where Nero was confirmed to be a thing) debuted at TGS as well.

Sure, but we'd already had two CG teasers at E3 2005 and 2006 by then.

But DMC3 Special Edition was revealed at TGS, I just remembered.

Didn't Revalations 2 get announced at TGS?

No, it was announced a few weeks before, but still in September.

jbug617

Banned
Isn't the rumor that SFV is getting a relaunch after Capcom Cup. I think a new disc release would go a long way for them.

We never hear about Ace Attorney sales. I remember Capcom saying Dual Destinies hit it's "aggressive" sale mark, but nothing on Spirit of Justice or HD Trilogy. It's absolutely ridiculous GAA wasn't localized.

Mayeb they will port them to switch and sell them together in 2019 and that version is the one they will localize

tuffy

You do realize you are talking about an IP that Capcom had no problems moving from PS platforms to Nintendo's despite selling extremely well, right?

Portable 3rd is still the best selling game in the series iirc.
Portable 3rd came after Tri, though. Capcom's gamble by moving to the Wii platform didn't pay off, whereas transitioning to the 3DS did.

Delio

But that doesn't change the fact that the game isn't western-focused. I think that, for ever person who is supposedly underestimating how much portability plays into MH strengths as a franchise, there are just as many people overestimating it. MHW being on PS4 and not Switch or 3DS is definitely a barrier, but let's not act like it's going to bomb.

I dont think its going to bomb at all. It will maybe underperform to Capcoms expectations.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
giphy.gif

Mupod

well for the sake of MH's chances on current gen consoles/PC as well as future localizations, I sure hope they don't have completely insane expectations for MHWorld.

BadWolf

Portable 3rd came after Tri, though. Capcom's gamble by moving to the Wii platform didn't pay off, whereas transitioning to the 3DS did.

The point is they have no problems shifting platforms.

And that the series hasn't really grown since leaving PSP.

Not sure we'll see either of these before the Resi 7 DLC.

Can't see what that has anything to do with announcing more RE games.

Not to mention it's supposed to be free DLC so it's not like it's a priority for them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
But that doesn't change the fact that the game isn't western-focused. I think that, for ever person who is supposedly underestimating how much portability plays into MH strengths as a franchise, there are just as many people overestimating it. MHW being on PS4 and not Switch or 3DS is definitely a barrier, but let's not act like it's going to bomb.

There is a big gap between bomb and meeting Capcom's expectations and growing the series.

Can I act like Capcom will take it as a bomb.

Duxxy3

Unless they have some big unnamed games, I'm not seeing it. I think MVC: I is going to bomb. I don't think MH: World is going to tell all that great on consoles. RE4, 5 and 7 are likely just about tapped out in terms of sales.

I think Capcom is in for some very hard times.

aeolustl

Well I thought they will overestimate a bit for MHW like they have been doing for a while for most of their title. But over 4 mil (at least) within half a year??? :lol
We were guessing 4 mil LTD and I am still quite unsure about that.

But 4 mil within this financial year???
giphy.gif

They got to continue the underperform trend anyway

Kolx

Potential audience may not translate to an actual audience. For example, the Wii was a sales powerhouse, but Tri still didn't sell very well at all.

Trying to cultivate an audience for an long-running franchise on new platforms is a gamble.

Did they have another choice tho? the game development started long time ago. Banking on a successful console is better than banking on something you don't even know about yet.

TreIII

Kobayashi is working on a yet-to-be-announced RE title of some sort. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a "smaller" scale title to the tune of a new Mercs or Rev. That could possibly help them and be a nice way to fill in some blanks. But beyond that and a possible DMC5, I don't know what else they could have that could garner some more sales.

Maybe something to herald Rockman's 30th anniversary- HAHAHHAHAHAHA, I can't even finish typing that...

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well I thought they will overestimate a bit for MHW like they have been doing for a while for most of their title. But over 4 mil (at least) within half a year??? :lol
We were guessing 4 mil LTD and I am still quite unsure about that.

But 4 mil within this financial year???
giphy.gif

They got to continue the underperform trend anyway
Exactly. I'm honestly baffled at where these many seemingly hidden western MH buyers are, because 4-5 million is what I'd expect for the upper ceiling lifetime sales of the title, not for the end of this FY

The only unannounced title that I can think of, that has a chance of being released within this fiscal year is another spin-off RE game like REV3 or something like that (assuming that they are working on another RE game of course)

Also, this is for fiscal year ending March 31 2018, right? If so, then do they really expect MHW to sell +4 million copies in around 2 months? That's insane.

What in the fuck?

Monster Hunter World and Marvel v Capcom will not be enough to make that happen (even though I expect both to be pretty successful)

GSR

We never hear about Ace Attorney sales. I remember Capcom saying Dual Destinies hit it's "aggressive" sale mark, but nothing on Spirit of Justice or HD Trilogy. It's absolutely ridiculous GAA wasn't localized.

I mean, I don't know what their expected numbers for DGS2 are, but they can't be high. DGS1 sold a good deal less than AA5 (and AA6 IIRC?). I'm kind of amazed DGS2 got the green light at all.

People are suggesting Capcom localize a DGS1+2 Switch port, but that would be a massive localization job for a very niche pair of games. And that's without going into the rumors about them not wanting to deal with the Conan Doyle estate.

Think they'll reach 1Million sales in Japan with Monster Hunter World? To my knowledge the only game on PS4 to hit that is FFXV, but MHW has much more potential than FFXV did imo.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Think they'll reach 1Million sales in Japan with Monster Hunter World? To my knowledge the only game on PS4 to hit that is FFXV, but MHW has much more potential than FFXV did imo.
I think so; it's the new hotness of MH and Japan will show up for something refreshing even though there is no portability or local play.

Head.spawn

I forsee a lot of disappoint in their future in hitting that number unless they do a humblebundle that includes XBO/PS4 and PC.

Is there an ace up the sleeve they haven't announced for 2018?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm curious what MHW does. If it performs less than the 3DS versions, that would be something nuts.

Its very possible. Its going to lose out on at least 2-2.5M sales in Japan it will have to make up to break even with MH 4.

tuffy

I'm curious what MHW does. If it performs less than the 3DS versions, that would be something nuts.
One constant in Monster Hunter sales is that the portable entries have outsold the console entries, so it would not be surprising if World continues the trend.

One constant in Monster Hunter sales is that the portable entries have outsold the console entries, so it would not be surprising if World continues the trend.
Not that they've done much to put that theory to the test.

There's a lot going on that's new for this release. A global launch, region crossplay, and accrual marketing (it was at E3, I pray they'll actually do commercials and get community/streamer involvement as well) should help with Western sales. I imagine this is a shot to get more than 1/1.5M sales in the West. The game would be a mega bomb if it couldn't do better than the 3DS games in the West, especially considering the risk they'll lose a significant portion of the Japanese portable audience.

They're still going to release portable games, and I have no doubt they'll release a MHPW in the near future to capitalize on that audience. Hopefully Capcom doesn't expect this game to sell 4M this FY, because that would be completely nuts.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I'm curious to see how MHW sells, I really think depends on how much effort they put towards the game.

On the other hand, I'm positive MVCI is going to bomb.
I think they're insane to have conceived that game in the manner that they did, and I really hope it bites them hard.

Regardless of how MWH sells, I don't see them reaching their goal.

I wouldn't expect MvCI or MHW to sell much more than 2 - 2.5 million copies a piece before the end of the fiscal year. MHXX might do another million including the Switch version. Their smaller titles and prior 2017 releases could hit another 2 - 2.5 million combined... At least 7 - 8 million should be doable, but probably not 10.

Toxi

Banned
Right, except it is by far most successful in Japan, so when you take everyone who would otherwise have bought it away, what you have left is a big barrier.

Its like if you made a Madden game only in Spanish.
Sure, way more countries in the world speak Spanish than English, but those countries aren't super into American Football like America is.
The point of World is to get international audiences into Monster Hunter.

It's not like this is an unproven idea in video games. Final Fantasy VII exploded in sales because of the newly tapped international audience that was never a big market for Final Fantasy before. If MHW isn't so lucky, then Capcom cut their losses and use it to make a portable game.

Sesha

Update to Capcom's release slate this FY:

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo (JP)
Disney Afternoon Collection
Dragon's Dogma (PS4/X1)
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
Monster Hunter: World
Monster Hunter Stories (EU/AU/NA)
Monster Hunter Stories Ver. 1.2 Revival Edition (JP)
Monster Hunter XX Switch Version (JP)
Resident Evil Revelations (PS4/X1)
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

We're still only in July, so they can still announce something that releases before March 31st.

Fiendcode

The point of World is to get international audiences into Monster Hunter.

It's not like this is an unproven idea in video games. Final Fantasy VII exploded in sales because of the newly tapped international audience that was never a big market for Final Fantasy before. If MHW isn't so lucky, then Capcom cut their losses and use it to make a portable game.
FFVII didn't sacrifice it's home market to do so though, and FF wasn't ever as big as MH in Japan either. It's not exactly the same thing.

Ill do my part!

Most likely going to double dip on just about any Monster Hunter game they put out

Good lord does 5th gen look hype

mrmickfran

I swear I read somewhere that Capcom said that Spirit of Justice sold just enough for them.

Top Bottom