• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom plans to sell 10.3 million copies of games released this f year (MvC + MHW +?)

I don't think 2 million is out of the question for MVCI. USF2's sale surprised everyone (450K), so who knows? I remember way back when everyone thought SSF4 and Marvel 3 would bomb and they lived up to expectations. Plus you gotta keep in mind that SF5's biggest issue at launch was lack of single player content and net code, which MVCI has one of those issues covered (story mode). Hopefully the net code is alright.

Monster Hunter is a portable phenomenon in Japan? Lets risk that to make a Western focused console MH

Japan still get their handheld version of MH in MHXX. And why are people still saying MHW is "western focused"? Just because it is now no longer on handheld? From what we've seen, MHW is still very true to its root. There is nothing westernized about it.

That said, it seems like Capcom have very high hope on MHW. I hope it breaks 5M mark since it sure looks amazing.

Anung

Un Rama
If RE2 Remake were really coming this FY, we'd probably know by now. More likely that they just have unrealistic expectations for MHW.

TGS and the like are just around the corner. I reckon we'll here about it there and it'll be 6 months out from there.

BadWolf

Things depend on TGS I guess.

Whether it's another RE or DMC5 or whatever, if it's announced at TGS then they can still release the game in time.

DrArchon

I don't think 2 million is out of the question for MVCI. USF2's sale surprised everyone (450K), so who knows? I remember way back when everyone thought SSF4 and Marvel 3 would bomb and they lived up to expectations. Plus you gotta keep in mind that SF5's biggest issue at launch was lack of single player content and net code, which MVCI has one of those issues covered (story mode). Hopefully the net code is alright.

If they're hoping people are still hyped for the story mode, they're in for a rude awakening. Pretty much everyone was giving Capcom shit for that story mode demo they put out at E3. It's not enough to put story mode in your game, not when NRS games have raised the bar so high.

Japan still get their handheld version of MH in MHXX. And why are people still saying MHW is "western focused"? Just because it is now no longer on handheld? From what we've seen, MHW is still very true to its root. There is nothing westernized about it.

The game itself is definitely MH to the core, but the decision to develop the title on consoles and PC is an attempt to make the series more global.

Thoraxes

I wonder if they're expecting MHW to do more than 2m WW. Because without the JP market to compensate, I sure hope they focus the majority of their advertising $$$ outside of Japan, because they're going to need it there the most to make up for the lost ground.

That said, it seems like Capcom have very high hope on MHW. I hope it breaks 5M mark since it sure looks amazing.
You severely underestimate the culture surrounding the portable nature of MH over there. Without it on the go, it's already going to sell magnitudes lower just by that fact alone, even without considering PS4 is just barely over 5M units there. They're 100% banking on western sales to compensate for the losses that will happen there.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

MHXX came out on 3DS earlier this year, I don't know what you seriously expect the sales will be for that game

I wonder if they're expecting MHW to do more than 2m WW. Because without the JP market to compensate, I sure hope they focus the majority of their advertising $$$ outside of Japan, because they're going to need it there the most to make up for the lost ground.

You severely underestimate the culture surrounding the portable nature of MH over there. Without it on the go, it's already going to sell magnitudes lower just by that fact alone, even without considering PS4 is just barely over 5M units there. They're 100% banking on western sales to compensate for the losses that will happen there.

But that doesn't change the fact that the game isn't western-focused. I think that, for ever person who is supposedly underestimating how much portability plays into MH strengths as a franchise, there are just as many people overestimating it. MHW being on PS4 and not Switch or 3DS is definitely a barrier, but let's not act like it's going to bomb.

Neonep

1. Their projections for MVC:I if I remember correctly is 2 mil. If it is a full game like SFV wasn't it should hit that given it is also coming to Xbox One.

2. I think that MHW won't be as successful as they think, that game will probably be good for 3 mil max and that is being generous. I don't think that game has nearly enough interest in it as GAF thinks it does.

3. MHXX Switch is going to do slightly better than people expect.

4. They can hit that 10.3 million copies if games like Dragon's Dogma

5. Whatever Itsuno is working on, Remake 2, or any big game we don't know about won't be released anytime soon. Earliest would be Q4 2018.

mejin

271.gif

BadWolf

But that doesn't change the fact that the game isn't western-focused. I think that, for ever person who is supposedly underestimating how much portability plays into MH strengths as a franchise, there are just as many people overestimating it. MHW being on PS4 and not Switch or 3DS is definitely a barrier, but let's not act like it's going to bomb.

It's not really a barrier when you take everyone outside of Japan into account.

The PS4/X1/PC offer a much bigger potential audience.

And it's not like there is any other major IP out there right now on these consoles that offers the kind of co-op experience that MH does.

Shin-Ra

Ōkami UHD and Resident Evil Origins Trilogy (1-3) mixing the best bits of the Dreamcast, Gamecube and N64 versions!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Bomb, like DR4? No. Under-perform like RE7? I wouldn't bet against it.

1. Their projections for MVC:I if I remember correctly is 2 mil. If it is a full game like SFV wasn't it should hit that given it is also coming to Xbox One.
I'm higly doubtful..
I expect them to have quite a lot of dlc chars//season pass.. like 3-4 ...
I can still remember when i had to pay the game ONCE and that was that..
sfv deserved more sales for the game in itself, but the model was really distasteful..
same applies to what arcsys has been doing, a bit more subtly, these last years, turning gg and blazblue into yearly franchises...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't think anybody thinks it's gonna bomb per say, as in sell less then 1 million, but if they are expecting it to target as much as we think they will target, then it might aswell be a bomb, remember tri came out on peak wii, and still only reached a million after some price cuts

Korigama

They're most definitely banking on this being what allows the franchise to finally blow up in the West. In Japan, the most they'll be able to hope for is sales comparable to the Wii's MH Tri (generous when considering the Wii's install base was much higher than PS4's is right now there).

LordRaptor

Right, except it is by far most successful in Japan, so when you take everyone who would otherwise have bought it away, what you have left is a big barrier.

Its like if you made a Madden game only in Spanish.
Sure, way more countries in the world speak Spanish than English, but those countries aren't super into American Football like America is.

Thoraxes

I never said it's going to bomb or isn't western-focused (as in western-focused gameplay) (read my post again), but I think it'll barely scratch 2m WW, which would be a huge decline for the franchise. The install base on PS4 in Japan alone is enough to correctly assume it's going to sell lower than the most recent titles. If you can't see that, you're just lying to yourself.

Sesha

TGS announcement would be way more likely.

Even DmC was announced at TGS.

DmC is the only DMC title to have been so. Besides, TGS ain't what it used to be. Last year they had the RE x L'Arc en Ciel VR experience, and in 2015 Umbrella Corps. UC was the first TGS announcement since DmC IIRC.

I highly doubt DMC5 will be there. PSX is more likely at this point.

tuffy

The PS4/X1/PC offer a much bigger potential audience.

And it's not like there is any other major IP out there right now on these consoles that offers the kind of co-op experience that MH does.
Potential audience may not translate to an actual audience. For example, the Wii was a sales powerhouse, but Tri still didn't sell very well at all.

Trying to cultivate an audience for an long-running franchise on new platforms is a gamble.

Kikorin

Probably they are expecting a lot from MHW. I think the game will do well on PS4 in Europe and Japan, but I don't see it beeing huge on Xbox and PC.

Zukkoyaki

Well, good luck to them.

2 million doesn't seem irrational for MvCI given the install-bases and platforms (plus Marvel). I honestly think folks are letting the negative circle-jerk online get to them here. It's been looking significant better in the last couple of months and hand-on impressions are positive. Though I'll admit that the UI is weak and the roster feels half-baked. But 5-6 for MHW, a franchise that made its primarily on handhelds is bold and waaaay too optimistic in my opinion. Maybe shoot for like 3 million for that one.

Korigama

DmC is the only DMC title to have been so. Besides, TGS ain't what it used to be. Last year they had the RE x L'Arc en Ciel VR experience, and in 2015 Umbrella Corps. UC was the first TGS announcement since DmC IIRC.

The trailer for the DMC4 that we wound up getting (where Nero was confirmed to be a thing) debuted at TGS as well.

BadWolf

Potential audience may not translate to an actual audience. For example, the Wii was a sales powerhouse, but Tri still didn't sell very well at all.

Trying to cultivate an audience for an long-running franchise on new platforms is a gamble.

You do realize you are talking about an IP that Capcom had no problems moving from PS platforms to Nintendo's despite selling extremely well, right?

Portable 3rd is still the best selling game in the series iirc.

Didn't Revalations 2 get announced at TGS?

2 million for MvC:I seems crazy to me, but particularly it seems utterly undeserved. An argument can be made that they can sell as much just from Marvel brand alone, but I can think of no serious argument that the game they have shown so far deserves to sell even half as much.

They can help by bringing The Great Ace Attorney and it's sequel over.

:(

We never hear about Ace Attorney sales. I remember Capcom saying Dual Destinies hit it's "aggressive" sale mark, but nothing on Spirit of Justice or HD Trilogy. It's absolutely ridiculous GAA wasn't localized.

Top Bottom