• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom President Says ‘Game Prices Are Too Low’

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc00

In comments this past weekend, Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimoto asserted that video game prices are too low, pointing to the massive increase in development costs and how game prices haven’t risen at the same rate. He suggested that increasing the price of games would be a “healthy option” for the industry.

It was only a year ago that the era of $70 video games really began, as numerous “AAA” releases—like Gotham Knights and God of War Ragnarök—began selling for $10 more than what players had come to expect. Now in 2023, around half of AAA games from large publishers have adopted the new $70 price point. Yet Capcom is one of the few publishers that’s abstained from raising prices thus far. It has continued to sell new games, like Street Fighter 6, at $60 instead of $70. But that might be changing.

According to a September 23 report from Nikkei, Tsujimoto spoke at the Tokyo Game Show about various topics. While speaking at the event, the president of Capcom reportedly explained that he felt the price of video games was “too low.”

“Development costs are about 100 times higher than during the Famicom era, but software prices have not gone up that much,” said Tsujimoto, referring to Nintendo’s massively successful 8-bit console from the 1980s. “There is also a need to raise wages. Considering the fact that wages are rising in the industry as a whole, I think raising unit prices is a healthy option for business.”

Guilty_AI

There are also much more potential buyers, and less costs with distribution thanks to digital marketplaces. There are also a lot more ways to viably monetize games besides initial purchases, some of which capcom partake themselves.

Case in point, current game prices haven't stopped Capcom and many other gaming companies from achieving lifetime record revenues.

He’s probably right, and the industry’s response is microtransactions and GAAS. If they could sell a game for 100-150, they might not need to financially build a game around those other means of generating revenue.

When you think about it, people pay $15 for a 2 hour movie, why not pay 10 times that for an experience that is 20-30 times longer.

Saber

Gold Member
Games here in Brazil can cost between 170R$ to 240 R$, if its for PS4. Which is between 33U$ to 48U$.
Now, PS5 games costs between 300R$ to a whooping 400R$(almost the price of a smartphone). Which is equivalent to 60U$ to 80U$
Not to mention games nowadays comes with all sort of cancer monetazations, dirty tatics(like dry base content), etc.

So all I can say to him is fuck off.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Wasn't this covered in another thread?

But regardless of that, they're still releasing cross-gen titles. RE4R reuses the same engine and is essentially a souped-up PS4 game.

If they had faith to sell it for 70, they would have.

Sony sold TLOUP1 for 70 and it is 60 on Steam.

They did however have faith in selling Exoprimal (of all games) at full MSRP...

I enjoyed the game and yet, I'll be the 1st one to say that the price they're asking is...comical at best

brian0057

Banned
Damn, that's insane.
Have you tried not spending the equivalent of a small country's GDP on a single game?

Last edited:
Get more efficient and cut needless costs from your project. Reduce scope and bloat. Great games can be done for a retail price of 30 if you're smart about it and don't chase the stupid eye candy arms race.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Did you buy it at full MSRP?
Almost 😁
Got a Digital PS5 Key for 40 eurodollars, that's not the point though, the point is, they actually have the gall to sell this at 60 Eurodollars since not everyone is using the "best deal in gaming®" aka Papa-Phil's Gamepass...

Its pricetag is one of the reasons why (the main reason I'd say) the game bombed - don't think they'll manage to reach season 3 the way this is going.

Shame since it can be a fun game but...they basically shot themselves in the foot, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Cheers

Last edited:

SolidQ

I became a budget gamer. Only major sales.
Same, only buying RE series Day one and some metroidvanias. Maybe will buy Robocop Day1 one, price is good, but first need to see perfomance, was thinking about BG3 D1, but will wait polished version.

Hungry Cake GIF

GloveSlap

He has a point. People not wanting to pay it is a equally valid perspective.

The truth is that there is probably too much content being released and the industry has to go through some times to reach a more stable market equilibrium.

Variahunter

Of course, if we want games with a lot of ambition, scope, interactivity and great graphics... those games should be priced way higher.

Dragon's Dogma 2 could be priced 110$ and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
RE2 ? 80$.
Rise of the Ronin ? 100$
BG3 ? 120$
Crimson Desert ? Probably 130$ IF it delivers on all the promises.
Zelda BotW (even with all its flaws) ? 90$
Elden Ring ? 120$ (because tech is not exactly the best, but everything else is).

Horizon, Uncharted, COD, Halo Infinite, Redfall, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves ? You 'd have to pay me to play these asinine games.

Games should not have a price treshold giving that the dev cost have expanded tremendously. It's unsustainable as it is in terms of risk, only fools will otherwise. One ambitious game failing can sunk a studio, it says it all. As a matter of fact, a price treshold hampers greatly on a game's scope, and it leads to microtransactions and abusive DLC practices to cover the expenses, thus demeaning the studio's vision.

Sure, Ubisoft, EA and all the crooks studios would likely still use MTX and such while overpricing their games, but they're crooks, that's what they do. Just spend your money wisely and give it to deserving studios.

I'll add that gamepass is a decease that needs to go away, all it does is decrease the value of games.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
In some part of the world, not only prices for games have not risen, they have decreased.

I remember when I use to pay up to 80€ and more for SNES game or 65/70 for a MD game.

No, game development is too expensive

There's absolutely no need for every pore on a character's face to be rendered when we never get an up close look at them to really appreciate the labor of the employees under crunch.

Silent Hill 3 is the best a game *needs* to look.

Killer8

Games have been very resistant to inflation. Part of that is due to the unit sales going up. A game in the Famicom days cracking 1 million units sold was a huge deal (it used to get you inducted into the 'Platinum' range on many consoles), but nowadays in the AAA space that same number would signal a major flop. Economies of scale play into it and publishers now need to hit multi-million sales in order to turn a profit with their current development costs. But if those costs continue to creep up and outpace the number of people buying the games, it's not really sustainable. Something has to give - either unit sales need to go up even higher (ha), the unit price need to increase, or development costs need to go down. Or some combination of all three.

I have a feeling that the industry will need to get serious about slashing budgets and making leaner games. And I think a lot of players would even welcome it. We don't need every other game to be a 40+ hour epic loaded to the gills with filler shite ie. a million markers covering a barren, open world map. If most people aren't even getting past the first few chapters of games according to trophy/achievement data, why are developers even bothering spending so much money on the rest of the game, exactly? Bring back the 10-15 hour game which is daring to try some new ideas, release it in less than 3 years, and potentially we could keep the $60 price tag a while longer.

Reactions: WoJ

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
There are few things worth playing lately, we owe thanks to recent Capcom productions, between resident evil, monster hunter and street fighter, higher or lower prices, the important thing should be that Capcom has enough profits to continue investing and making these great classic games.

WoJ

I am conflicted on this. On one hand a $70 game today is cheaper than what I used to pay for SNES cartridges in 1994. But production and development costs have exploded. Just make tighter experiences. Or if you feel you have to do open world stuff do a smaller open world. To this day the open world in Arkham City is one of my favorite of all time. It's not the biggest, but most stuff in it is meaningful and it isn't overly bloated. And it's fun. It's about perfect. More stuff like that please.

Majukun

how about you stop wasting money on production values and just focus on making great games instead?

also the 60/70 pricetag is an illusion between preorder bonuses,various editions, dlcs, re-releases etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom