• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom representative : Street Fighter V would never ship on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
"For this numbered run"

So you're telling me, if we take out the number then we all can play Gen 8 Street Fighter?

LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN, AND KILL THAT 5

I'm kind of confused at how Street Fighter needed funding. Hasn't IV and all of its iterations been hugely successful, and largely credited with reinvigorating the competitive fighting scene? LIke, I'm looking at all the uproar over USF4 PS4 in the FGC and realizing that Street Fighter is absolutely huge. Was the franchise really in so much trouble that it needed help?

Or is it that Sony merely opted to help fund so as to lock up exclusivity?

Sometimes something can be profitable and still not worth it. They could use those resources to make high grossing mobile games or something.

If Sony's willing to step in though, maybe that makes it worth it.

New002

I'll say this when it comes to PR. Sony and Capcom have been plainly saying it since day one. That a deal has occurred between the two companies regarding SFV. MS has fumbled the message with RotTR, they have said it's exclusive, they have said it's timed exclusive, they have said it's holiday exclusive. Eventually they finally came out and said it has a duration.

I trust Sony and Capcom more, because of their plain speak, than MS who seem to try to dance around plainly saying their game is timed exclusive.

I would love for SFV to come to all platforms, hell, Vita, 3DS, Xbox One, Wii U, also. The truth is, business realities in the console market happen.

Why wouldn't Sony and Capcom speak plainly? They have exclusivity. There's no need to be tricky with PR speak. If MS had full exclusivity with Tomb Raider you would have received the same clear message. MS didn't have full exclusivity, but for some reason wanted people to think that they might. MS should have been clear from the start. It's as if they were purposely looking for more negative press. I mean, I guess I could see why they went this route if they were in the process of attempting to secure full exclusivity and were being purposely vague to buy time, but that wasn't the case.

I'd like to think that if Sony and Capcom had a timed deal instead of full exclusivity they wouldn't have made the same mistake as MS, but who knows.

Anyways...SUPER PUMPED for this game. Unfortunately I don't own a PS4, but I think my gaming laptop should be able to run it. If it can't then I'll probably be in the market for a PS4. I actually tried to snag one of those anniversary ones but the PS Store was a mess :(

I am not a fighting fan, but this is just sad.

Best thing to do is just accept it and move on. We could get into the blame game, but fact of the matter is that all of the companies do this stuff, so it is not fair to demonize Sony alone if you are not going to blame everyone else. They are just doing deals they think they need to stay ahead....

I guess if anyone we should blame Capcom for making the deal since it is there franchise, and they are alienating a big portion of their fan base by making it exclusive.

Either way though, it just sucks :/

Why wouldn't Sony and Capcom speak plainly? They have exclusivity. There's no need to be tricky with PR speak. If MS had full exclusivity with Tomb Raider you would have received the same clear message. MS didn't have full exclusivity, but for some reason wanted people to think that they might. MS should have been clear from the start. It's as if they were purposely looking for more negative press. I mean, I guess I could see why they went this route if they were in the process of attempting to secure full exclusivity and were being purposely vague to buy time, but that wasn't the case.

I'd like to think that if Sony and Capcom had a timed deal instead of full exclusivity they wouldn't have made the same mistake as MS, but who knows.

Anyways...SUPER PUMPED for this game. Unfortunately I don't own a PS4, but I think my gaming laptop should be able to run it. If it can't then I'll probably be in the market for a PS4. I actually tried to snag one of those anniversary ones but the PS Store was a mess :(

Like I said, because they are so plain to speak about the exclusivity, I believe them. And, like the point you brought up, MS' messy message with RotTR didn't exactly help them, or make them look trust worthy.

Time exclusives are soooo dumb honestly. Even if SFV was timed exclusive, people would still be pissed.

New002

Like I said, because they are so plain to speak about the exclusivity, I believe them. And, like the point you brought up, MS' messy message with RotTR didn't exactly help them, or make them look trust worthy.

Time exclusives are soooo dumb honestly. Even if SFV was timed exclusive, people would still be pissed.

Ah. I think I may have misunderstood your point. Yeah, I mean, they're being pretty clear about it so there's no reason not to trust them. I didn't realize there were people still arguing that the numbered series may not be exclusive.

Toki767

Yeah I like how when Sony have a third party exclusive they use simple terms like "never" or "console exclusive". When Microsoft gets a third party exclusive they use all these dancing around terms like "life of the title" and "the deal has a duration".

It just makes everything sound so disingenuous from a PR standpoint.

Zophar

People need to stop confusing "Capcom doesn't want to fund this project" with "Capcom doesn't have the money to fund this project."

I strongly doubt Capcom can't afford to make Street Fighter V, but it's very likely they didn't think it was worth sinking a lot of money into making a new installment for a series with admittedly niche popularity for a fanbase that demands an extremely polished product. For a scenario like this co-development is a useful bridge I'd wager, from Capcom's perspective.

Faustek

Not sure if posted yet but it involved one of Capcom's biggest producers to cut off his own head
maybe...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin...ident_Evil_4_and_Capcom_split_.282002-2004.29

Edit: although I think SFV will stay PS only, you never really really know in this industry.

Ahh yeah, was laughing as hell at Mikami-san there.
Anyway, all I've learned about myself due to this thread is that I'll probably never trust anyone from a big publisher. Now to actually buy IV on PS4 as it seems at least the latency issues are solved.

Reset

Are people seriously arguing one money hat (SFV) is worse than the other money hat (TR)?

Well one is a timed exclusive.
But then again I always thought people who would whine about 1st or 3rd party exclusives were stupid anyway. If there's no exclusive, kinda defeats the purpose of buying that console. Oh and timed exclusives are stupid too, if you going to buy exclusivity go all out. Having timed content doesn't make your console more worth while to purchase.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I haven't been following this title's development all too closely so sorry for the repeated question, but why exactly is this being dedicated to PlayStation 4? Are Sony helping with development costs? It just seems like a franchise that would benefit more from being non-exclusive.

Ishan

I haven't been following this title's development all too closely so sorry for the repeated question, but why exactly is this being dedicated to PlayStation 4? Are Sony helping with development costs? It just seems like a franchise that would benefit more from being non-exclusive.

Stated before Capcom wasn't willing to fund v's development anytime soon . Sony was.

Edit : and lol to above post

DNAbro

Sony is basically paying for the development of the game. Capcom didn't want to fund it right away and Sony decided to just pay for it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Stated before Capcom wasn't willing to fund v's development anytime soon . Sony was.

Makes sense then. At least there is another Street Fighter coming, albeit as an exclusive. Just strange that Capcom wouldn't want to fund one of their biggest IPs, alongside it being one of the most well recognised fighting title.

Piggus

MGS4 wasn't a multiplatform game at launch like SFV is.

True. I meant it in the sense that, just like MGS4, there will be a group of people who are absolutely convinced that there will be an Xbox port. The years of people predicting that MGS4 would be announced at E3 for the 360 were hilarious, and I can totally see that happening with SFV too.

TomShoe

Banned
People should have seen this coming from the beginning. I remember someone at Capcom (Ono?) saying there would be no Super or Ultra versions, instead there's only a single release that'll be continually updated with DLC.

Which makes me wonder could it then be steamed to a xbox one? Or xbox games can only be streamed to pc?

I believe it goes Xbox -> PC.

Ishan

Makes sense then. At least there is another Street Fighter coming, albeit as an exclusive. Just strange that Capcom wouldn't want to fund one of their biggest IPs, alongside it being one of the most well recognised fighting title.

Well some ppl explained that . It's profitable but it's a question of costs vs return margins. A new lettered entry means heavy. Investment in introducing new characters mechanics and balancing etc ... Sf is also held to a high standard in the fgc . So instead of pumping x million here and gettig back x/10 they want to pump x into something that gives bak x/5

How many more franchises are Sony and MS gonna throw money at to make exclusive? I predict the next year of game annoucements with exclusive partnerships is gonna suck.

I was in the same boat as you once. Thinking that Microsoft was evil because they bought a game for millions of Xbox One players and dozens of Xbox 360 players to enjoy. However , I've since calmed down on that matter because companies providing consumers with a unique experience on their platform is the way competition has worked in the gaming space since forever. Hell could you imagine the shitstorm if Gaf was around in 1982 and Atari got the exclusive rights to Pac-Man while Calecovision got jack shit (the Pac-Man 2600 comparison may or may not be an allusion to how I think Rise of the Tomb Raider will end up.)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Street Fighter 5.0.1

lol

Super Street Fighter V, Street Fighter V: Viewtiful Edition or Street Fighter Very Awesome Edition would like to disagree with that statement. :p

LMFAO

Okay Capcpom

wow people are this delusional? Either that or you don't understand what "numbered entry" means. Let it go, either wait and hope for Street Fighter 6 being a thing and not PS exclusive before the generation is over or buy a PS4/PC.

That's what people had to do with Dead Rising 1 and, unless MS decides differently, also for Dead Rising 3.

So Sony bought out a 3rd party multi platform franchise as a console exclusive to bolster their own lacking games lineup and limit fans choices for purchase, good job being a bully sony.

Three

wow people are this delusional? Either that or you don't understand what "numbered entry" means. Let it go, either wait and hope for Street Fighter 6 being a thing and not PS exclusive before the generation is over or buy a PS4/PC.

That's what people had to do with Dead Rising 1 and, unless MS decides differently, also for Dead Rising 3.

Pretty sure Chobel was joking. The others, I don't know.

I am not a fighting fan, but this is just sad.

Best thing to do is just accept it and move on. We could get into the blame game, but fact of the matter is that all of the companies do this stuff, so it is not fair to demonize Sony alone if you are not going to blame everyone else. They are just doing deals they think they need to stay ahead....

I guess if anyone we should blame Capcom for making the deal since it is there franchise, and they are alienating a big portion of their fan base by making it exclusive.

Either way though, it just sucks :/
I agree, except this part. Fighting game fans generally follow games and not consoles. I mean, we spend grands on fighting sticks and modding pads. If SF5 takes over after SF4, bulk of the fan base will move wherever the game the system is on. and you have PC so it's really not that big a deal.

Keit4 did this same song and dance in an earlier thread and people get explaining it to him. He'll take this one to his grave.

I remember he got blown up super hard in one of the first SF threads. (He praised TR exclusivity but was shitting on SF exclusivity)

LowParry

So Sony bought out a 3rd party multi platform franchise as a console exclusive to bolster their own lacking games lineup and limit fans choices for purchase, good job being a bully sony.

cEU4k.gif

Well look at this way. It was either waiting a few more years for it or Sony pony up the bill and we get it next year. :D

Wellthereitsis.gif

I still have some lingering doubts since its just a rep saying this but if xbox players want to play this i think its gonna be safer to buy it on PC

anyone have examples of a fake partnership?

Adam and Eve.

Thanks, Capcom. Lost sales aplenty.

I'm sure they took that into account and they're fine with it, just like CD with Tomb Raider.

Please tell me you're joking. Otherwise, Tomb Raider and Dead Rising would like a word with you.

Please tell me you're joking. Otherwise, Tomb Raider and Dead Rising would like a word with you.

Two wrongs don't make a right in my book. The timed exclusivity with Tomb Raider is also terrible, and idk about Dead Rising 3 that game doesn't seem relevant anymore. What I don't like about this situation in particular is that Street Fighter was a popular multiplat game last gen and to make it exclusive this gen seems dirty, even if it does mean it will be finished earlier. Similar situation with Tomb Raider but at the very least it's only a timed exclusive.

Red Devil

Well one is a timed exclusive.
But then again I always thought people who would whine about 1st or 3rd party exclusives were stupid anyway. If there's no exclusive, kinda defeats the purpose of buying that console. Oh and timed exclusives are stupid too, if you going to buy exclusivity go all out. Having timed content doesn't make your console more worth while to purchase.

/thread

But this is Capcom we're talking about, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom