• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 has made back its development budget, talks sales

Alienous

I'm going to pick it up soon but I can't decide where at yet

No ultrawide support
No vive support

I have a pro
I won't be buying psvr ever

Iirc, digital foundry said the pro version is better than the PC version right? And it's totally psvr exclusive no rift or vive coming later?

It's only a PSVR exclusive for a year. That doesn't mean it will certainly come to other VR platforms, but it's possible.

Man, this is nuts just to think they were floundering so bad and now they are starting to get back on their feet.

This makes me super fucking happy, because maybe Capcom is becoming relevant and not shitty again.

mid 2000s gave me too much hope before they ripped it all away. This time though, I think things are going to be alright.

Guess Capcom were happy to fuck over the RE4,5, and 6 fans...

Yeah, because those games are fucking abominations. Like Trump supporters.

jrDev

Man, this is nuts just to think they were floundering so bad and now they are starting to get back on their feet.

This makes me super fucking happy, because maybe Capcom is becoming relevant and not shitty again.

mid 2000s gave me too much hope before they ripped it all away. This time though, I think things are going to be alright.

Yeah, because those games are fucking abominations. Like Trump supporters.
Did you compare people that like those games to Trump supporters?

PS: Nothing stops Capcom from making a game like this in Third Person...
And they've been fucking over fans of 0 through code Veronica for a long time. I hope the next 3 mainline games are first person

-MD-

I'm fine with whatever style they wanna go with for 8 & 9, just as long as it's absolutely nothing like RE6.

RE4, 5 and 6 fans didn't seem to have a problem with Capcom fucking over RE1-3 fans (some even enjoyed it), so boo hoo.

Anyway, great news. I avoided buying it at launch because I wasn't sure how it'd turn out (though I hoped for the best) but I just received my copy on Monday and I'm looking forward to digging into it this weekend.

Great news for the franchise and hopefully VR by association. Seemed to have really positive reception based on that playstyle, would be a shame if they ditched that option in the future.

Wow just 2.5m sales was enough to cover the costs? Thats pretty fkin amazing.

Its not that surprising really. That's between $75 - $85 million in revenue that Capcom would have received. Game doesn't look super expensive or that it had a substantially large budget. Many games can be break even at 2.5 million, especially with a smaller scope like RE7 has.

Its not some massively expensive game like Destiny, COD, etc.

Koyuga

No way. Resident Evil 4 is my personal favorite game of all time and I loved the shit out of Resident Evil 7. First person absolutely makes the game as scary and fun as it is, I have no doubt it would've been less impactful with a third person camera instead.

Jawmuncher

Whatever. I guess old school fans were fucked over with the last 3 mainline games before RE7 then.

They were. Revelations was the closest they got.
My dream is no RE fan gets fucked over for the style the prefer. But you got some people in this very thread who think otherwise. "I suffered, now it's your turn"

Action RE fans are people too

hao chi

The game wouldn't be nearly as scary or work in VR if it was third person. And making RE7 third person wouldn't be enough to appeal to action RE fans, since the game would still have a much lower focus on action.

Just wait for Revelations 3, as I'm sure that will be more the type of game that you want now that the mainline games are finally focusing on horror again.

Jawmuncher

The game wouldn't be nearly as scary or work in VR if it was third person. And making RE7 third person wouldn't be enough to appeal to action RE fans, since the game would still have a much lower focus on action.

Just wait for Revelations 3, as I'm sure that will be more the type of game that you want now that the mainline games are finally focusing on horror again.

We'll see. Rev 1 and 2 had less action than even RE4

Sesha

As a huge RE4 fan RE7 is the only game in the series I've really enjoyed since... well, RE4.

Action RE fans got six games in that style. The only people that were fucked over were RE4-only fans, who never got a game like it as excellently designed again, and fans of old school RE.

prwxv3

To be expected to by most but some wanted to cling to the notion it must cost just as much or more as RE6 simply by being a new game on PS4 instead of ps3. Glad it's doing well and will be profitable.

Those people were delusional. There was no way for RE7 to get to RE6 budget without major (and i mean at a shitstorm level) dev problems.

Jawmuncher

As a huge RE4 fan RE7 is the only game in the series I've really enjoyed since... well, RE4.

Action RE fans got six games in that style. The only people that were fucked over were RE4-only fans, who never got a game like it as excellently designed again, and fans of old school RE.

3 games.
I wish I had 6 action Re games. I wouldn't even be salty if that was the case.

Rev 1, 2, and Umbrella Corps are there own thing. And ain't no fan ask for Umbrella Corps.

They were. Revelations was the closest they got.
My dream is no RE fan gets fucked over for the style the prefer. But you got some people in this very thread who think otherwise. "I suffered, now it's your turn"

Action RE fans are people too

Are they though? Are they really?

TBH I don't know why you guys don't just go play Gears of War instead. They're pretty much the same as RE4-6.

prwxv3

Once again showing how little some people know of dev costs especially in Japan. First it was FFXV with the rhetoric of it needing to sell 5-10 million to break even and then RE7 with it needing 4 million to break even.

Lmao both games made money day one.

I don't think many people understand dev costs in general. many people think that just because the dev time of a game is large the budget is huge along with it. When that is not case for every game.

hao chi

We'll see. Rev 1 and 2 had less action than even RE4

Right, but before they were making the mainline games action and Revelations were supposedly horror. Now that RE7 is horror, I expect them to make Revelations 3 more of an action that than 1 and 2 were, and I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it a bigger budget since there's clearly a market for action RE.

Jawmuncher

Are they though? Are they really?

TBH I don't know why you guys don't just go play Gears of War instead. They're pretty much the same as RE4-6.

When I can do all of this in Gears then we can talk.

hunk_neck_breaker_by_thewellofdukington-d5k7lk6.gif

picgifs-resident-evil-5-122674.gif

R0zq5Li.gif

No other game has melee based action gun gameplay like RE. That's why RE action fans can't shut up.

Right, but before they were making the mainline games action and Revelations were supposedly horror. Now that RE7 is horror, I expect them to make Revelations 3 more of an action that than 1 and 2 were, and I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it a bigger budget since there's clearly a market for action RE.

That's my hope. I want all RE fans to get what they want.

cvxfreak

Was there seriously any doubt about RE7's profitability?

Development-wise, it was fairly lean, with the main game probably shorter than a single scenario from RE6 and featuring a much smaller cast of characters. RE6's OST had at least 155 tracks, while RE7's barely broke 80. Much of the development went toward RE Engine, which is also an investment in future titles.

I have no doubts RE7 will eventually sell more than 5 million copies, particularly after it becomes a budget game, just like every other RE game.

Shadoken

Its not that surprising really. That's between $75 - $85 million in revenue that Capcom would have received. Game doesn't look super expensive or that it had a substantially large budget. Many games can be break even at 2.5 million, especially with a smaller scope like RE7 has.

Its not some massively expensive game like Destiny, COD, etc.

75$-85$ is pretty small dev budget though , when you think about marketing. This game had a pretty big marketing push , its not hard to think that marketting budget alone would be around $40-50m.

Developing a new engine,VR tech and game for $40-50m is pretty damn efficient i'd say.

If they follow through , RE8 should be minting a lot of cash. Since a lot of development budget would be cut down.

prwxv3

No other game has melee based action gun gameplay like RE. That's why RE action fans can't shut up.

Action is fine for RE. As long as the campaign is competently designed. Resident evil 4 and 5 had competent campaigns. 6 had a better combat system but most of the campaigns were terrible.

Jawmuncher

Action is fine for RE. As long as the campaign is competently designed. Resident evil 4 and 5 had competent campaigns. 6 had a better combat system but most of the campaigns were terrible.

I won't disagree. Most RE6 fans just want that Combat with a tight campaign like 4&5 had.

Did you compare people that like those games to Trump supporters?

omg can't believe you went there 😲

He's not alone. : )

Happy for Capcom, but they gotta recognize the diverse userbase they created. They gotta cater to all of us.

Are you serious with this? Please tell me that's a bad joke, man.

I was saying that Re4-6 are abominations like trump supporters, not that the people that like those games are comparable to Diet Neonazis.

Calm down please.

Astral Dog

That builder is overrated as hell,RE5 final boss was very weird

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So we celebr...
giphy.gif

Yo can the action RE/RE6 fans at least let people celebrate that the horror survival entry in the series are getting the sales it deserves instead of acting thirsty af and trying to spin the thread to be a action RE VS. Survival horror thread.

Jawmuncher

So we celebr...
giphy.gif

Yo can the action RE/RE6 fans at least let people celebrate that the horror survival entry in the series are getting the sales it deserves instead of acting thirsty af and trying to spin the thread to be a action RE VS. Survival horror thread.

I didn't do nothing,
But like I said, it's just history repeating itself. Same issue in reverse was the norm back in the day

RSB

Banned
I just hope the success of RE7 doesn't give Capcom the idea of making the RE2 Remake in first person now. After waiting 14 years for a new RE in the classic style that would totally suck.

I won't disagree. Most RE6 fans just want that Combat with a tight campaign like 4&5 had.
Definitely.

Now the horror exclusive Resident Evil fans get to see how annoying they've been for the past ten years.
I'm fine with both gameplay styles for the record.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I just hope the success of RE7 doesn't give Capcom the idea of making the RE2 Remake in first person now. After waiting 14 years for a new RE in the classic style that would totally suck.

Definitely.

I think deep down we all want to fight William Birken in first person VR. Search your feelings.

Good for them. I'm more surprised we still do not seem to have a solid way to count digital sales. I mean isn't Sony, Microsoft, and Steam at least able to parse that easily? Why not release those numbers to the companies and let them count it as well?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Good 8/10 game and return of old school RE for the most part but the last 1/3rd of the game completely fell apart for me personally and the first person perspective needs to go. In general and battles against the minor enemies is fine but against the bosses, the first person perspective is beyond horrible.

Definitely a better game than RE 6, RE 5 and RE 3 in my opinion but then again, I think those three games are so shitty, is it really saying much?

And 2.5m shipped? Hmmm, when I don't see how many copies the game sold to consumers, I tend not to believe what they say.

RE VII was my game of the month though. Of course, it was the only game that I played and completed in January.

Riposte

Seems it will do well in the west, or at least, it won't shrink, but I wonder how they feel about Japan.

One reason I don't see RE7 catching up to 6 in sales is because it's already on Steam, whereas 6 got a whole million or so for a later Steam release.

taoofjord

So what are the reasons why 7 may sell less than 5 or 6? Is the core gamer market shrinking? Is it a loss of confidence in the franchise after 6? The marketing of 7? Lower interest in a strictly single player title?

Top Bottom