• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to charge money for continues in Resident Evil Revelations 2?

FoneBone

Like I said on the other thread: they're not charging for continues. The game saves at checkpoints, and they're charging for an item that allows you to revive right where you died instead of going back to the last checkpoint.

You can also get those items by playing the game.

It's still shitty, but less so.

OK, but that doesn't say anything about how frequent the checkpoints actually are.

hatchx

Banned
Pay real money to make games easier and have access to cheat codes

Yay

People defending this are ignoring the bleed in that monetization has on the design process.

Traditionally games are built then handed to marketing. Now they are being mashed together and im not sure how i feel about it.

The track record so far has been less than stellar

Exactly. It's scummy practice whether it's ignored or not. I really don't want to pay full price to play a game and have further things to buy. Hell, I get rubbed the wrong way with costume/weapon purchases, because it feels like could have been unlockables.

This news disgusts me. Shame on you Capcom. Shame on you. The company really is going to screw themselves into such a bad situation other companies will buy their IP for pennies on the dollar. Revelations 2 is probably going to get bad reviews and be the worst selling Resident Evil blunder in some time.

Kind of getting tired of every game becoming a store

Sorry but this is a future where ill be happy to avoid such intrusions

Bring on Indie and complete titles

test_account

XP-39C²
I never understood the outrages for things like this. Seems clear to me that this is something that is added in addition, not something that alters the game design. Same thing as being able to pay for faster unlocking of items in Battlefield 3 (and maybe 4 as well?) for example. I'm positive that the game design would be exactly the same regardless of those paying options. Such an easy solution to just ignore those payment options if someone doesnt like it. Unless the UI is "in your face" to buy items, but i dont know if this is the case in Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Panzon

Damn these companies really ain't playing with all this micro transactions bullshit. It wont effect me at all in this case but just the fact that these companies are squeezing so much from people is very scary. The future of gaming is not looking too good as long as people continue to fall for this crap and making these assholes richer

Hex

Banned
Like I said on the other thread: they're not charging for continues. The game saves at checkpoints, and they're charging for an item that allows you to revive right where you died instead of going back to the last checkpoint.

You can also get those items by playing the game.

It's still shitty, but less so.

Keep watching the thread to see how many ignore this fact and continue losing their shit.
Not like it has been updated in the OP or anything (it has).
The power of a thread title in action.

Others raise a good point: this sort of shift in CAPCOM's development does not bode well for Dark Below or DrDoO... or any other CAPCOM-influenced video game.
Kind of getting tired of every game becoming a store

Sorry but this is a future where ill be happy to avoid such intrusions

Bring on Indie and complete titles

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, too many people are ignoring the (updated) OP.

Now, if checkpoints are quite rare, so much that you're basically "forced" to use those items AND obtaining them through the game is much worse than by paying for them, things would get ugly.

Zarovitch

Keep watching the thread to see how many ignore this fact and continue losing their shit.

How much can be earn while playing the game?
Probably not enough.
Anyway it's still stupid to charge for an easy mode.

edit: ok, maybe is wise if people are willing to buy that.

Jackpot

Banned
I never understood the outrages for things like this. Seems clear to me that this is something that is added in addition, not something that alters the game design.

And if they've skimped on mid-level checkpoints to increase demand, then what? Also why charge for something that costs nothing to make in the first place? If people want to play it with infinite continues there's no reason why they should pay extra for it.

Sorry, Capcom, but I'm out.

Even if it's the case that the game was designed without any consideration of this model being in place, and it won't change anything for people who don't want to pay, inserting a pay model is poison.

That may be the decision made this time, but what about the next one? If they're happy with that extra revenue, they will be thinking about it during the design. If they're not happy with the level of revenue, they may be thinking of it even more.

And then there's the perception on our end. Any time there's a difficulty spike and I have to continue multiple times, I may wonder...was this intentional?

It's poison. Leave me out of it.

TL;DR: I buy the "slippery slope" argument.

Haunted

This time they're optional and you can get them in-game as well.

Next time they're mandatory but you can get them in-game as well.

Next next time they're mandatory and you can't get them in-game anymore.

So because the items are limited available in-game it makes it okay? Do you honestly believe such a system doesn't play into the design of the game in a negative way?

Aesnath

This is really shady. I'm going to have to see how this decision impacts the game design before I'm interested in the game as a whole. However, this does not bode well and I know I don't want to encourage this type of behavior.

So because the items are limited available in-game it makes it okay? Do you honestly believe such a system doesn't play into the design of the game in a negative way?

im 100% certain that there are no difficulty spikes in the game that would make one consider paying for a crystal. I'm 200% certain that crystals are plentiful and that you will have so many that you will be able to sell them to friends and family who are needing of them more than you.

I'm 300% uncertain about everything i just said.

n!smo

Neo Member
The evil practices rooted in mobile games are slowly invading traditional games.

I don´t really understand the need for this in traditional games. Most people won´t pay for mobile games thus spawning these shitty price models, ok. But here you have to pay beforehand to play the game. Why include this shit, optional or not?

KarmaCow

Even if it wasn't, the perception that it was still clouds every death or encounter design.

If prior to release, RE4 added this system with no other changes, I would be significantly more annoyed by the Krauser QTE fight.

This time they're optional and you can get them in-game as well.

Next time they're mandatory but you can get them in-game as well.

Next next time they're mandatory and you can't get them in-game anymore.

Wow I had a huge deja vu during this post, did I dream that or is this a repost o_O

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

I see you're all lubed up for Uncle Capcom and his hairy friends EA and Ubisoft.

I'll chime in.

Honestly, if it does impact the game design, then it's shitty. If I find myself dying and it's not outright fair, and those crystals are a pain in the ass to get in comparison to buying them, it's shitty.

It's not as shitty as other practices, but it's still shit.

However, if I'm able to get crystals at a decent rate and it doesn't impact the game design by making it harder, then it's not a big deal. There are other games that offer tiny little boosts but give you so much in game currency you will probably never run out. PvZ either has you buying the currency, or getting it in loads from just one match.

Anyway, until we get more information, it's best to remain neutral. But, above me, I see people fighting with fellow gamers so that really won't happen now will it?

fred

I'm still annoyed that they're not bringing it to the 3DS. It was the definitive version imo. Good use of the touchscreen and in 3D-o-vision. I wanted to reach into the screen and grab Jill's wobbly bits lol

Maybe I should get out more..? Lmfao

Frodo

It is news like this everyday that makes me think this might be my last generation as a gamer. There is not a single industry that punishes its consumers like the gaming industry. It almost feels like they hate us, save the few exceptions.

It is news like this everyday that makes me think this might be my last generation as a gamer. There is not a single industry that punishes its consumers like the gaming industry. It almost feels like they hate us, save the few exceptions.

I almost feel like many people are getting up in arms before actually seeing how it plays out. If it doesn't affect game balance, then it's not a big deal.

But if you wanna quit over small things like this, go ahead. There's plenty of good news to balance everything out if you look.

Make no mistake: a game with a system like this built in is designed to get people to spend more money. They don't put a system like this in place and then shove a bunch of free crystals up your ass.

Nocturn

Neo Member
Hardly rage worthy IMO. Its an optional service that probably has no impact on the game experience(unless auto saves are severely underused because of this.) Tales of games have optional dlc for exp and item boosts too no? Its just a option for people. I know my older brother would buy these because he is impatient and has money to spend, that's probably the type of consumers this insta-rez is for anyways. GG Capcom.

Make no mistake: a game with a system like this built in is designed to get people to spend more money. They don't put a system like this in place and then shove a bunch of free crystals up your ass.

Well, PvZ did. I mean, you could earn the stuff you want via a quick match or so, or you could pay for it. Balance wasn't really affected from people using money, since the weapons were more like TF2 than stat boosts.

They do want to make money, but it could be that it's an option to get those who suck back in the game if they want much faster than usual. You aren't spending more money if you just reload at the checkpoint/have enough crystals.

Now, if the game is built around this system, grab those pitchforks, but until I see that, I'm avoiding pushing out kneejerk responses.

Not that Capcom has been the best when it comes to doing shit like this. But I take it case by case.

King_Moc

Banned
Hardly rage worthy IMO. Its an optional service that probably has no impact on the game experience(unless auto saves are severely underused because of this.) Tales of games have optional dlc for exp and item boosts too no? Its just a option for people. I know my older brother would buy these because he is impatient and has money to spend, that's probably the type of consumers this insta-rez is for anyways. GG Capcom.

It's a slippery slope. If game design isn't impacted today to try to force people to buy these items, it will be tomorrow. They're just trying to make people see these paid for cheat codes as the norm before they make that change, so that people like you can say that it's not that big of a change again. If they go down the slippery slope slowly enough, people won't even notice what's happening until they've hit the bottom.

Top Bottom