• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales of Resident Evil 4 Top 4 Million Units

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
220603a.png

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that new multiplatform title Resident Evil 4 has sold over 4 million units worldwide.

The Resident Evil franchise features survival horror games in which players utilize a variety of weapons and other items to escape terrifying situations. Cumulative shipments of the games in the series now exceed 135 million units* since the first title debuted in 1996. Now, more than 27 years later, continuous support from the passionate fan base across the globe makes it Capcom’s flagship game series.

logo.png

Resident Evil 4 is a remake of the original 2005 title. In addition to reworking the story and modernizing the game feel, the 2023 release provides both fans of the series and newcomers alike with a fresh gameplay experience, featuring highly immersive visuals powered by the cutting-edge graphics technology of Capcom’s proprietary RE ENGINE. In addition to Resident Evil 4 garnering interest and attention from the release of the Chainsaw Demo prior to launch, sales of the title grew steadily following a highly positive reception from customers, driving worldwide sales over 4 million units. Capcom will continue to focus on growing sales of the title, including with the release of The Mercenaries free additional downloadable content on April 7.

220603b.png

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.
*As of December 31, 2022

[ Product Details ]​

1. TitleResident Evil 4
2. GenreSurvival horror
3. PlatformPlayStation®5 system, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, PC
4. Release DateMarch 24, 2023

onQ123

220603a.png

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that new multiplatform title Resident Evil 4 has sold over 4 million units worldwide.

The Resident Evil franchise features survival horror games in which players utilize a variety of weapons and other items to escape terrifying situations. Cumulative shipments of the games in the series now exceed 135 million units* since the first title debuted in 1996. Now, more than 27 years later, continuous support from the passionate fan base across the globe makes it Capcom’s flagship game series.

logo.png

Resident Evil 4 is a remake of the original 2005 title. In addition to reworking the story and modernizing the game feel, the 2023 release provides both fans of the series and newcomers alike with a fresh gameplay experience, featuring highly immersive visuals powered by the cutting-edge graphics technology of Capcom’s proprietary RE ENGINE. In addition to Resident Evil 4 garnering interest and attention from the release of the Chainsaw Demo prior to launch, sales of the title grew steadily following a highly positive reception from customers, driving worldwide sales over 4 million units. Capcom will continue to focus on growing sales of the title, including with the release of The Mercenaries free additional downloadable content on April 7.

220603b.png

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.
*As of December 31, 2022

[ Product Details ]​

1. TitleResident Evil 4
2. GenreSurvival horror

[/URL]

[/URL]

People was talking about the sells being disappointing vs Gamecube because it's multiplatform lol

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Congrats, now issue the world's easiest patch and fix the controls. ...is one view.

The other is that since the majority of people aren't complaining and sales are great: no fix needed.

Hopefully they decide to do more 3rd person action off the back of these sales at least.

Last edited:
This has to ensure a remake of Resident Evil 5 next, right? A lot of the gameplay mechanics are already set in place with RE4: Remake.
They changed great voice actress to match race in game, you think they will remake a game when you shoot to native africans?

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Yeah I saw this video this week going into detail about. Since RE7 capcom has launched re2r, re3r, village, devil may cry 5, monster hunter rise and now re4r. I guess exoprimal isn't far a way either

I was watching this 2 days ago. It's a very good video. Lots of work went into bringing back Resident Evil to its roots and they've succeeded. I was initially apprehensive of 7 due to the First Person Perspective. I'm glad to know that I was wrong. The RE Engine is definitely putting in work and I'm curious to know what's the next step for the series. Realistically, we'll get a Resident Evil 5 Remake; though I'm hoping for a Code Veronica remake as it needs it the most.

I was watching this 2 days ago. It's a very good video. Lots of work went into bringing back Resident Evil to its roots and they've succeeded. I was initially apprehensive of 7 due to the First Person Perspective. I'm glad to know that I was wrong. The RE Engine is definitely putting in work and I'm curious to know what's the next step for the series. Realistically, we'll get a Resident Evil 5 Remake; though I'm hoping for a Code Veronica remake as it needs it the most.
I think I saw it 2 days ago is that the algorithm at work 🤔.

RE engine has definitely done wonders for capcom. My only apprehension is if it can keep up with UE5 games when they start releasing.

Then again they don't necessarily need to be at the cutting edge all the time. As long as there games look good enough and play really well.

E.g. like FROM games and RE engine games already look way better than anything FROM has released.

I would be amazed if they don't release RE1 remake remake at some point it. Then they could re release as a complete collection down the line.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I think I saw it 2 days ago is that the algorithm at work 🤔.

RE engine has definitely done wonders for capcom. My only apprehension is if it can keep up with UE5 games when they start releasing.

Then again they don't necessarily need to be at the cutting edge all the time. As long as there games look good enough and play really well.

E.g. like FROM games and RE engine games already look way better than anything FROM has released.

I would be amazed if they don't release RE1 remake remake at some point it. Then they could re release as a complete collection down the line.
I was thinking about this the other day. If Capcom would re-release the original versions of Resident Evil 1 - 3 in HD with their various versions (RE Director's Cut, RE Director's Cut Dual Shock Edition, RE2 Dual Shock Edition, etc) I think that would be AMAZING. Lots of people would buy it, myself included. Provided they still have the source code for the games of course.

The RE Engine seems to be doing wonders for them at this point. I also hope they can keep it up and continue to update the engine as it time goes. Seeing the improvements between Resident Evil 7, 8 and 4 Remake is remarkable.

BTW, I bought this shirt off Redbubble because reasons.

I was thinking about this the other day. If Capcom would re-release the original versions of Resident Evil 1 - 3 in HD with their various versions (RE Director's Cut, RE Director's Cut Dual Shock Edition, RE2 Dual Shock Edition, etc) I think that would be AMAZING. Lots of people would buy it, myself included. Provided they still have the source code for the games of course.

The RE Engine seems to be doing wonders for them at this point. I also hope they can keep it up and continue to update the engine as it time goes. Seeing the improvements between Resident Evil 7, 8 and 4 Remake is remarkable.

BTW, I bought this shirt off Redbubble because reasons.

[/URL]
Sorry I meant remake RE1 in the RE Engine 3rd person etc. Although it would be cool for them to re-release the originals!

MiguelItUp

Up and up! So well deserved IMO. Man, it's so good to see Capcom snap back the last few years. That period where Capcom was slipping was such a shame, but they definitely made up for it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Double edged sword.

Great that a single player game is selling well.

On the other hand, the better remakes sell, the more remakes we’ll get.

I’m tried of remakes. Give me new games.

Zero interest in a RE5 remake especially if it’s gonna be cross gen. Give me a new entry in the franchise that is current gen only.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember when people on here were saying RE 7 was a flop because of 4 million sales LOL
Resident Evil 4 has been out 3 weeks and has sold 4 Million
Resident Evil 7 did 4 Million in October 2017
It released in January 2017
BIG difference.
Resident Evil 7 had legs but it sold slowly and was discounted fairly early which a lot of it sales came from.
But the Remakes have sold faster and rapidly catch up to RE7 sales in half the time.

Neff

Hopefully the strong sales give them an incentive to make Separate Ways nice and beefy. There's really no end of cool things they can potentially do with it.

220603a.png

logo.png

220603b.png

*As of December 31, 2022

[ Product Details ]​

1. TitleResident Evil 4
2. GenreSurvival horror

[/URL]

[/URL]
Might as well remake resident evil , resident evil 0, resident evil code Veronica, resident evil revelations, resident evil 5. Let's pretend 6 never happened and then let's get a brand new resident evil all together . Original story I mean

Astral Dog

Remaking RE5 should be somewhat
easier (even with some new content)since its a lot shorter.

and if they ever want to remake Resident Evil 1 again, or Code Veronica(lol),then it wouldn't be close to the task that was recreating Resident Evil 4,Capcom is in a good place right now, well earned.

now the question is, how are they supposed to 'surpass' Resident Evil 4 with RE9 and RE10?

and if they ever want to remake Resident Evil 1 again, or Code Veronica(lol),then it wouldn't be close to the task that was recreating Resident Evil 4,Capcom is in a good place right now, well earned.

now the question is, how are they supposed to 'surpass' Resident Evil 4 with RE9 and RE10?

If they remake RE5 it needs to be significantly re-done to make it better and more like RE4.

If they want to surpass RE4 with RE9/10....Well, just use RE4 as your template and don't rush development. Make each section compelling with no latter half's of the game feeling flat.

Last edited:
220603a.png

logo.png

220603b.png

*As of December 31, 2022

[ Product Details ]​

1. TitleResident Evil 4
2. GenreSurvival horror

[/URL]

[/URL]

Shout out to Capcom.

If they want to make RE5 remake decent rhen they need to bin the co-op and split Chris and Sheva into separate campaigns because co-op removes the fear and horror aspect . Also remove the QTE's and annoying sections like that god awful Jill fight where you have to pull that device off of her.

Arachnid

I'm not sure they can. Their only chance is to go back to third person and add similar frantic combat to what RE4 has, because RE4 easily has the best combat and controls in the series.

That or just go full survival horror like RE7 again and make it its own thing. I just pray we're done with first person.

Madflavor

Only way I'd be excited for an RE5 Remake is if the same team involved with RE2R and RE4R were the ones making it.

Needlecrash

Time for Code Veronica. Not even sure how RE5 even works in this climate, since the original game features a white protagonist mowing down a whole lotta black villagers.

This was nearly 15 years ago:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2009/02/sometimes-it-apos-s-just-racist/6705/
Meh. In Resident Evil 6 some of the enemies were Chinese and Eastern European. From Resident Evil 4-6, several organizations fuck up the local populace regardless of location.

Resident Evil 2 & 3 - Raccoon City becomes hell on Earth due to the G-Virus infection throughout the city. Populace is hostile.
Resident Evil 4 - Spain. Villagers were unwillingly subjected to Las Plagas.
Resident Evil 5 - West African country. Same thing. Local populace affected by Uroboros Virus.
Resident Evil 6 - China/Eastern Europe/USA - C Virus is unleashed and all local populations are affected by numerous threat actors.

In some form or fashion, MULTIPLE Resident Evil games have you deal with the locals that's been affected by countless viruses. If people can't accept that this is a fictional piece then they got more problems to deal with.

Top Bottom