• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to have mountains and mountains of DLC, cancels games without DLC potential

GooeyHeat

On the upside, they seem to notice that outsourcing to western developers doesn't work, so we probably won't get more in the vein of DmC.

EDIT: Whoops, and that's what the other topic is about.

alstein

We keep saying this, but are they? Companies wouldn't do this unless people were buying it. Clearly there's a vast majority of people who enjoy buying DLC.

Do I like this? No. But I'm not blind to the fact that DLC exists for the fact that it sells.

Large amounts of DLC won't deter me from buying DLC< but it will deter me from buying a game completely.

monome

good episodic content (with tastefull reuse of assets and incremental engine tweaks). YES
crappy microtransactions, real endings, horse armours and hats. FUCK NO

This was the company that tried to sell the ending for a game as DLC.

was there any doubt this would be capcoms endgame?

and trying to be the japanese EA will destroy them in the end.

mclem

Am okay if they REDUCE THE PRICE
Seriously; just launch cheaper than everyone else with lots of DLC aimed at different audiences. People get the bits they want.

Ridge Racer Vita got lambasted for doing exactly that.

It's going to bite them in the ass when their DLC development cost is higher than their DLC income. It's bound to happen.
If done right - by the model they're following - DLC should be cheap to develop, along with high profit margins. If anything, the situation you're describing is much more likely if they *don't* do DLC; if the game development cost is higher than the game revenue, and there's no scope for further monetisation.

AHA-Lambda

Well they're off to a fine start with things like rereleasing Dragon's Dogma with extra content only available by buying the game a second time.

Elixist

embrace the pc as well Capcom, I'd love to grab that new Dragons Dogma on it i'm sure others would as well. sure piracy sucks, but theres alot of legit users as well.

Dremark

Banned
We keep saying this, but are they? Companies wouldn't do this unless people were buying it. Clearly there's a vast majority of people who enjoy buying DLC.

Do I like this? No. But I'm not blind to the fact that DLC exists for the fact that it sells.

It didn't seem to help Street Fighter X Tekken much.

1-D_FTW

What am I missing on the PC side? Do they have something going on in Japan that's a huge hit? I find it hard to believe PC online is going to be larger than packaged good and online console combined in 2013.

R&R

My guess: in next-gen there will not be a single game published without some kind of DLC plan. Also: episodic releases will be more prevalent.

gblues

Banned

It's not just that DLC sells. It's that with AAA game budgets, it's literally impossible to turn a profit on game sales alone (unless you win AAA roulette a la Skyrim). So, they sell these mostly useless digital add-ons as a means of getting more than just the initial $60. What Capcom is really saying here is, "We're so incompetent at budgeting and sales forecasting that we're not even going to try if we can't build in a means to generate post-sale revenue."

It's exactly the same thing as the recent Jim Sterling bit comparing Dark Souls to S-E.

I didn't see the other thread until after this, so I see where this is coming from now. Not that I'm surprised, but this pretty much underscores that they seem unwilling to admit that they are having problems because of the quality of their titles and the money they are spending developing/publishing on them. Seems like they are hungry, they see someone else eating a bunch of pie, and they think the reason they are hungry is just because they aren't eating it too.

mclem

My guess: in next-gen there will not be a single game published without some kind of DLC plan. Also: episodic releases will be more prevalent.

Lower-budget titles should be able to thrive without having to rely on DLC, but I doubt they'll fully tap the potential of next gen as a result; one of the reasons why I'm not quite convinced the incoming upgrade is necessarily healthy.

LakeEarth

It's shit like this that makes me proud to say that I never bought any DLC except for expansions and OFF DISC new characters.

I don't know about every game, but the majority of games will absolutely have some planned DLC next gen. Feel like most already do now.

Petrae

As a consumer, I hate this trend. It's why I'm moving back to retro games. The feeling of being milked is strong.

I do understand why this is happening, though. It's the nature of the business now. Publishers dangled it, people bought it, and now DLC revenue is built into the expectations for a game.

Just one of those things that make me realize I'm on one road and modern video gaming is on another, and we're getting farther and farther apart.

hehehe, I just had a funny* picture of next gen games always being online with advertisments being thrown at you constantly while your playing the game. "I see you are having trouble with fighting the first boss. buy our super deluxe armor to unlock it immediately and then buy our one hit kill pistol to be truely invincible"

*I really mean sad.

ido

My biggest concern with the increase of DLC is the worry that games are now being created with DLC in mind, thus giving the consumer a lesser initial product. Eventually I could see DLC being required as much as P2W games practically require you to spend money to advance/win.

I'm almost to the point where I can say that I am 100% against DLC.

If they just made higher quality games in the first place that people wanted to play, they might sell better. Lost Planet sold well didn't it? 2 was fairly terrible from what I remember and now no-one cares about 3.

Remember Me does look interesting though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Solution: don't buy Capcom games immediately, wait a year until GOTY ed/expanded version that includes everything that was hacked off, and at a far cheaper price.

mclem

If they just made higher quality games in the first place that people wanted to play, they might sell better.
I've known far too many great games fail to turn a profit to have much confidence in this.

Solution: don't buy Capcom games immediately, wait a year until GOTY ed/expanded version that includes everything that was hacked off, and at a far cheaper price.
Those versions are effectively subsidised by the early adopters. If the early adopters go away, so do the subsidies, and so does the viability of that plan.

As a consumer, I hate this trend. It's why I'm moving back to retro games. The feeling of being milked is strong.

I do understand why this is happening, though. It's the nature of the business now. Publishers dangled it, people bought it, and now DLC revenue is built into the expectations for a game.

Just one of those things that make me realize I'm on one road and modern video gaming is on another, and we're getting farther and farther apart.

As much as I like good and meaty DLC, I agree. Good thing is that there are so few big publishers that are left in the industry now to keep pushing that rock up the hill. At this rate, nearly all will be gone inside of this upcoming generation. What will be left will be all the independents making more sustainable game releases instead of tying their fate to the broken AAA schema. Of course, this will lead some of the more successful ones to become the new big publishers...

Yeah, there is nothing worse than not having to download something. They've taken all the fun out of it.

No, they took the fun out of it by making things that used to be hidden characters, costumes, or even cheats and charging money for them instead. Keep being a good little consumer who is okay with getting less and less while you pay more and more, though.

Josh7289

Pouring a huge amount of resources into bad AAA games is obviously unsustainable (RE6). But I don't think DLC will sustain all of these ancient publishers like Capcom either. Maybe a couple of them will be okay, but not all of them.

Skilletor

No, they took the fun out of it by making things that used to be hidden characters, costumes, or even cheats and charging money for them instead. Keep being a good little consumer who is okay with getting less and less while you pay more and more, though.

I don't know what you were playing, but, for the most part, my current gen capcom Fighters have more content than the fighters I bought in the past. People like to bring up alternate outfits, but aside from Chun Li, no previous SF or Marvel game even had alternate outfits. Hidden characters? You mean the palette swaps we'd get like E. Ryu with a different property on an uppercut? Stuff like that?

/shrug

Sometimes I think I remember fighting games different from other people.

And just like a good consumer, If I don't like it, I won't buy it.

Petrae

No, they took the fun out of it by making things that used to be hidden characters, costumes, or even cheats and charging money for them instead.

I hate to sound like a cheapskate, but this has been a big deal to me, too. So much stuff that we used to see as commonplace in video games a couple of generations ago, like cheats, costumes, and extra characters are DLC now.

I realize that DLC is the nature of the beast now, but changes like these after status quo for so many years just feels like a ripoff to me. I don't like this direction. I respect that video games are a business, but I won't support this trend. There are other options out there.

AHA-Lambda

So with a shrinking AAA market they want to double down on DLC? Wouldn't it be better investing in smaller downloadable titles like DuckTales?

kunonabi

I don't know what you were playing, but, for the most part, my current gen capcom Fighters have more content than the fighters I bought in the past. People like to bring up alternate outfits, but aside from Chun Li, no previous SF or Marvel game even had alternate outfits. Hidden characters? You mean the palette swaps we'd get like E. Ryu with a different property on an uppercut? Stuff like that?

/shrug

Sometimes I think I remember fighting games different from other people.

And just like a good consumer, If I don't like it, I won't buy it.

cvs, project justice, and alpha 3 had large amounts of extra content. costumes and characters weren't as big a focus for capcom as they were for other companies which is true. however, old capcom didn't lock arcade content or an entire 1/4 of the roster behind paywalls for their games. color edit mode also came with colors back in the day.

Shambles

I hate to sound like a cheapskate, but this has been a big deal to me, too. So much stuff that we used to see as commonplace in video games a couple of generations ago, like cheats, costumes, and extra characters are DLC now.

I realize that DLC is the nature of the beast now, but changes like these after status quo for so many years just feels like a ripoff to me. I don't like this direction. I respect that video games are a business, but I won't support this trend. There are other options out there.

Amen. Thats part of why I stick to PC now as well. Even if the developer tries to be a DLC douchebag chances are the community will develop cheats and mod tools to let me play around with game mechanics. Just Cause 2 is a great example of this. BoloMOD is the type of thing you used to be able to unlock from within the game.

iavi

Capcom should consolidate and adopt a plan similar to Sega's; focus on a couple big AAA franchises, relegate everything else to smaller, even experimental DD releases, and continue HD releases of their backcatalog/3DS titles.

mrpeabody

DLC turns a $60 game into a $70 game or, in the case of season passes, a $90 game. And consumers eat it up.

As long as people keep buying it, DLC isn't going anywhere.

prudislav

and their only game i would love to play still doesnt have PC port :-(
In case of DLCs i always wait couple months before buying to get full package

Skilletor

cvs, project justice, and alpha 3 had large amounts of extra content. costumes and characters weren't as big a focus for capcom as they were for other companies which is true. however, old capcom didn't lock arcade content or an entire 1/4 of the roster behind paywalls for their games. color edit mode also came with colors back in the day.

A3 had extra content, sure. It's been released like 7 times. It also has a psp port with additional characters that I'll never get to play on a console.

CvS2 didn't have an additional content as far as I remember, aside from the single player stuff. CvS1, however, did have an additional release that added a character or 2. Alpha 2 did. Alpha 3 has had several.

Basically seems like your problem is the method of delivery, because Capcom absolutely locked content and portions of roster behind a paywall, since I was constantly required to buy new updates via disc to play the new characters.

And I'm pretty sure the only Capcom fighting game with a color edit is CvS2. I could be wrong, though. It has been awhile. :)

Top Bottom