• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to have mountains and mountains of DLC, cancels games without DLC potential

SMD

LNx1W9D.gif

MrT-Tar

If were to localise EX Troopers and put the early build of MML3 in it as dlc, I would buy it
even if it was all on the game card

XenoRaven

On the bright side, at least their fighting games aren't in danger.

I wonder what content they'll lock behind a paywall in SF5.

Petrae

On the bright side, at least their fighting games aren't in danger.

I wonder what content they'll lock behind a paywall in SF5.

500 credits when you buy new, credits can be earned during gameplay. If credits run out, you can buy more via DLC. Kind of like a real arcade game!

web01

All they are going to do is turn the hardcore against them even more if they continue their disgusting DLC practices. Negative hype and outrage from gamers can have a significant impact on sales.

We already know to avoid buying their games and waiting for enhanced editions after Street Fighter, Dead Rising, Dragons Dogma etc etc.

It is decided! Kanbei Capcom shall deploy a mountain of DLC...

Anyway if I read the graph correctly I notice Mobile is on the up quite a bit more, then again given their current folly into that market that'll be DLCland...plus its easy to enter even more into the cater to the whale culture there...

So Ace Attorney 5 won't be canceled, they better not cancel their plans to bring it over NA!
They're making some changes. If you want evidence to make some cases beatable you're going to have to bribe the Cops...which involves presenting them with items that can only be bought with DLC...

ido

And I'm pretty sure the only Capcom fighting game with a color edit is CvS2. I could be wrong, though. It has been awhile. :)

I think the problem (at least mine) is that deciding on DLC before the game has even released will potentially give us an incomplete end product.

Capcom may have released 500 versions and updates to Street Fighter 2, for example, but Street Fighter 2 was not originally designed with that in mind. It was an evolution of a fairly new genre that was a catalyst for such updates. Now, I fear the mindset going into creating a game is affected by DLC plans, in a way to stifle content through a pay wall.

Skilletor

I think the problem (at least mine) is that deciding on DLC before the game has even released will potentially give us an incomplete end product.

Capcom may have released 500 versions and updates to Street Fighter 2, for example, but Street Fighter 2 was not originally designed with that in mind. It was an evolution of a fairly new genre that was a catalyst for such updates. Now, I fear the mindset going into creating a game is affected by DLC plans, in a way to stifle content through a pay wall.

Depends on your mindset, I guess. I can't think of a good fighting game that hasn't received some substantial update. I play fighting games A LOT. I don't think SF4 any less complete than SSF4. I didn't think MvC3 any less complete than UMvC3. I put a ton of hours in both. Since I play these games for years (seriously, 4/5 years since SF4, 3 since MvC?), I welcome any and all updates to balance and characters.

For me, it's awesome, because now there won't ever be a situation where characters are only available on a specific console/handheld sometime down the line. Because seriously, Capcom, I would pay you money for the psp version of SFA3 on a console.

As always, the market will choose. If Capcom has burned all of its goodwill for fighting games, then SF5 will sell shit and that'll be the end of that. I'll get it. I'll pay for DLC. It's worth it to me since I'll play it for years and put hundreds of hours into the game. That's one thing that bothers me about the people decrying those who don't mind or are willing to pay for such DLC. I'm all about voting with your dollar. If something isn't worth it to you, or you think it's a despicable practice, by all means, don't buy it. But when I play a game for years, 20 bucks for some characters or a few bucks for some outfits I like doesn't really seem like much.

ido

As always, the market will choose. If Capcom has burned all of its goodwill for fighting games, then SF5 will sell shit and that'll be the end of that. I'll get it. I'll pay for DLC. It's worth it to me since I'll play it for years and put hundreds of hours into the game. That's one thing that bothers me about the people decrying those who don't mind or are willing to pay for such DLC. I'm all about voting with your dollar. If something isn't worth it to you, or you think it's a despicable practice, by all means, don't buy it. But when I play a game for years, 20 bucks for some characters or a few bucks for some outfits I like doesn't really seem like much.

I love fighting games. I am not entirely opposed to what Capcom did with the IV series. I felt Super was a substantial upgrade(and not a DLC update), and I am not even upset about Arcade Edition because it was, to me at least, clearly something that came after the fact.

SFxT, however, is where I fear Capcom wants to go with DLC. Already having the DLC completed and included on the disc is worrisome to me. It makes me fear that future titles will be inhibited by DLC in this manner.

In other words, I am not fundamentally against the idea of DLC - I just have a feeling that it is going to be used in ways that I fear will lessen the initial product, in the forms of P2W, Day 1 DLC, on-disc DLC, etc.

Skilletor

I love fighting games. I am not entirely opposed to what Capcom did with the IV series. I felt Super was a substantial upgrade(and not a DLC update), and I am not even upset about Arcade Edition because it was, to me at least, clearly something that came after the fact.

SFxT, however, is where I fear Capcom wants to go with DLC. Already having the DLC completed and included on the disc is worrisome to me. It makes me fear that future titles will be inhibited by DLC in this manner.

In other words, I am not fundamentally against the idea of DLC - I just have a feeling that it is going to be used in ways that I fear will lessen the initial product, in the forms of P2W, Day 1 DLC, on-disc DLC, etc.

I understand that. It's all perception to me, though. If Capcom had taken the data off the disc and announced the 12 characters 6 months later, it would've been less drama. Nobody would have known they were done, or couldn't really prove it anyway.

And SxT even without the 12 characters was a pretty robust roster. We got what, for SF fans at least, were 19? essentially new characters? I thought, and still think, gems are a stupid idea, but they don't really affect the way I play and I haven't bought any of those.

So I understand the hesitance, but it's not like Capcom has been skimping on characters for initial releases in any of their fighters.

RSLAEV

Well, this sounds really awful. I really hate what this gen has turned some games into.

The games are becoming a means of getting these 'micro-stores' straight to the customer so they can sell digital crap to people with little self-control. Apparently there's more money in nickel and diming suckers than there is in just making a good game, selling it and then making another one.

BlazinAm

I wonder if this a way for them to write off upcoming games in their release calender, I don't really see how this company bet the farm on DMC. Also DMC reviewed well, I think it is hard to look at prior releases because there is at least a 4-5 year gap and the market has changed so much.

Also this company doesn't have a broad appealing brand right now outside of Monster Hunter, the market revolves around consistent releases to gain any mainstream attraction; which they have done with Resident Evil, fighting game releases, and Monster Hunter... two of which have set install bases.

Top Bottom