• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Main Pipeline Series 2016-2017 (RE, MonHun, DMC, DR, SF)

Dead Rising 4

tumblr_lec3a0kNh21qcz8ge.gif~c200

wipeout364

I always find it strange that dead rising games keep getting made. It seems like such a b tier game yet it keeps getting sequels. Do they sell a lot? I buy them but they always seem like such a niche title. Think of all the franchises that have been dropped and yet here comes dead rising still trucking along. Not complaining at all but it just seems like such an anomaly.

Zaverious

I always find it strange that dead rising games keep getting made. It seems like such a b tier game yet it keeps getting sequels. Do they sell a lot? I buy them but they always seem like such a niche title. Think of all the franchises that have been dropped and yet here comes dead rising still trucking along. Not complaining at all but it just seems like such an anomaly.

Dead rising sold 1.8 million as an Xbox exclusive.

Dead rising 2 was released 4 years after dr1 and sold
2.9 million and is currently the 13th best selling capcom game.

Dead rising 3 did 1.9 million as an Xbox one exclusive and PC later on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's because LP2 is secretly one of the greatest COOP games ever made :)

LP2 was fantastic in coop. The first time I combined the two mechs together O_O

You really can't play that game on your own, though.

I hope they go multi for Dead Rising 4, or even figure a way to release Dead Rising 3 on PS4, after all, the game probably sold everything to be sold on X1 already.

So sad about Mega Man, why can't they get a small team with small budget to do something like Mighty no.9, I'm pretty sure Inti or Capcom internally can make something good with 5-10 million and Mega Man merch still sells well, people still want Mega Man games and things.

One_San

Other series meaning Sengoku Basara, right?!

;-;

Well, the mention SB alot in the report. One section involves going across other mediums along side main releases, though that part goes from SB to mentioning Street Fighter.

Also the last 14 pages are an account of the whole SB series, phrasing it in a way that SB1 saved Capcom at one point. It's actually a really entertaining read.

I wish they dropped Dead Rising and focused on older IPs.

RE7
DMC5
Dragon's Dogma 2
MML3 current gen
Rival Schools

Vanquish PC port please.
Please?

Ready The List™, it's port begging time. Man people probably don't even know how the games look like lol, just repeat the most requested things ;P

Square Enix give us Ninja Gaiden Black pls

Mr Swine

Banned
I would love to have Dead Rising for the NX if it's powerful enough, I would love to play it on the go :)

And make Dead Rising 4 more like the first 1 with Frank West as the main character this time

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So being a horror fan, what I'm obviously going to pay attention to is Resident Evil.

-Resident Evil Revelations 2 sold over 1.1 million copies of the full version apparently, and they list it as being a success like Revelations 1, which means it seems likely Revelations 3 will be Greenlit. They also talk about how Revelations 2 was a new digital model for them with the episodic structure and weekly release, and that it was over a million seller and a "strong start" to sales to Revelations 2 and for the release structure, so I am guessing Revelations 3 may follow a similar method.

-Wow, no wonder Resident Evil has so much focus from Capcom. Apparently the total sales of the Resident Evil series is over 65 million sales, which is almost twice as much as its second place, the Street Fighter series at 35 million over its course. However, notable about this number is that Capcom have released more Resident Evil games than the other mentioned franchises as well, outside of Mega Man which has had more titles but saw less sales than Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter.

-Seems two of their big strategies going forward is mobile and PC games, they have a long section talking about it and how it helps monetize on game releases. Mobile for the obvious Japanese reasons, but Capcom talks also about something I don't see many Japanese devs talk about, how the PC platform has lower cost to make and consumers have desire to see favorite titles on the platform, meaning that it's good for monetization of already released and upcoming titles. They make good PC ports, so I'm not complaining. They also talk about the 'strengths of each title', they're trying to ffigure out what suits each platform going forward.

-Unfortunately, Pachislot isn't going anywhere. Capcom talks in this about how Pachislot helped reduce other project cost for them by quite a margin. The bright side is that, unlike say Konami, they seem to think of Pachislot as an extra revenue stream rather than their main source of income, though talk about how Pachislot helped fund their development costs by about 60%.

-Somehow, the Resident Evil films have gotten more profitable with time, the 4th and 5th RE films were the highest grossing. They also point out that the top 6 highest-grossing Video Game films are Capcom-based property films, and seem to be interesting in adapting more to the medium in the future.

-In the report, there's a section about the upcoming virtual reality gaming, such as Oculus Rift and such, They mention they're looking into it, and mention they want to test the waters with virtual reality, starting with "Resident Evil", and seeing where to go from there with their IPs. So that basically confirms a VR Resident Evil game. They even show a screen showing someone playing an in-development version of the VR Resident Evil game. (Though see a topic I missed talks about it, but interesting still).

Son Of D

RE7 is likely to be a late 2016 title.
DMC5 announced in 2016 for a 2017 release (maybe port the HD Trilogy to PS4/XB1/PC as a 15th anniversary thing).
Dead Rising 4 perhaps?
Won't be surprised if MH5 is in the works.
Wonder what else they have planned for SF? A crossover perhaps?

i-Jest

I'd much rather have DmC 2. It's a shame I'm in the minority on this one (and by minority I mean on my own).

A lot of fans are still a tad bitter about it still. It's just not the right time to even consider it.

I simply don't understand why Capcom doesn't give Onimusha a single chance.

I wouldn't count it out yet. A DMC sequel is finally in the works again and a new Onimusha was demanded just as much, as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not counting it out just yet.

Shadoken

A lot of fans are still a tad bitter about it still. It's just not the right time to even consider it.

I wouldn't count it out yet. A DMC sequel is finally in the works again and a new Onimusha was demanded just as much, as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not counting it out just yet.

The problem with Onimusha is that it primarily sold a lot of copies in Japan. And AAA Console gaming isnt that big over there anymore.

I don't think there would be really any point in revisiting DmC. NT has downsized a lot, and DmC under-performed. Let alone Capcom seems to be done outsourcing. Hell Capcom is banking on the good will of gamers to pull them through this generation (and may not exist in 10 years?), so giving fans something they have been longing for for a while will probably generate more free press and sales then bringing back another unpopular reboot.

i-Jest

The problem with Onimusha is that it primarily sold a lot of copies in Japan. And AAA Console gaming isnt that big over there anymore.

I didn't even know is sold better in Japan, but since that being the case, I can understand why it's not on Capcom's to do list for the next two years. I guess Ni-Oh is the closest thing we'll get to it. I'm fine with that though, the gameplay left a good impression.

I don't think there would be really any point in revisiting DmC. NT has downsized a lot, and DmC under-performed. Let alone Capcom seems to be done outsourcing. Hell Capcom is banking on the good will of gamers to pull them through this generation (and may not exist in 10 years?), so giving fans something they have been longing for for a while will probably generate more free press and sales then bringing back another unpopular reboot.

I see, I didn't know N-T downsized their staff; outsourcing hasn't done very well for Capcom, as far as I know, so it makes sense that they'd stop. Still want to play that Bionic commando game though. As long as Capcom gives me some quality games then they can count on my support.

Sesha

The main problem for Onimusha is that each entry sold increasingly less. Dawn of Dreams didn't even reach 1 m. Compare to DMC, which generally sold more with each entry, DMC2 and DmC excepted.

As for DmC, Capcom has basically stated they are done with outsourcing, and they practically blamed outsourcing for their problems in the console market for the last few years. DmC2 will probably never happen, and especially not if DMC5 does well.

Top Bottom