• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Finds Directors in Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Two directors are the future of blockbuster Marvel movies?

The actors are always singing the praises of Joe/Anthony, but they're also brothers and as tight as two people can get.

Prompto

Banned
Good choice. Haven't seen Mississippi Grind yet but I enjoyed both Half Nelson and It's Kind of a Funny Story. Especially Half Nelson

Haven't seen Mississippi Grind but It's Kind of a Funny Story and Half Nelson were mostly fine. Not super exciting choices to direct, but nothing worrisome.

Continuing the tradition of hiring unproven and unknown directors to direct big blockbusters.
That's bullshit. They've been working in the industry for 10 years, broke out with Half-Nelson and have been doing steady work from there.

And considering how long the process has been for Marvel to settle on them to direct it, considering lists for directors have been around for the past 7-8 months, I'd bet they have a pretty solid vision for how they want to handle Carol.

Unknown, yes, unproven, hell no. There's a world of difference between them and a Carl Rinsch or a Colin Treverrow at least in terms of sheer years of experience.

Haven't seen their work, but they've got a very strong track record.

qn8BBIv.png

9eT2sOj.png

ni0MHJH.png

Blader

I have no idea how working on Half Nelson translates to working on Captain Marvel, but that was a pretty good movie.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Never seen Mississippi Grind but I've heard great.

I'll have to see their past films soon to get a sense of what they do as directors.

BadAss2961

Worked out for them so far. Still, I would like to see a big gun giving a shot at a Marvel franchise.
Fair to say at this point they're not interested in doing that at the Marvel factory. Might as well build a robot to direct the rest of the movies.

That's bullshit. They've been working in the industry for 10 years, broke out with Half-Nelson and have been doing steady work from there.

And considering how long the process has been for Marvel to settle on them to direct it, considering lists for directors have been around for the past 7-8 months, I'd bet they have a pretty solid vision for how they want to handle Carol.

Unknown, yes, unproven, hell no. There's a world of difference between them and a Carl Rinsch or a Colin Treverrow at least in terms of sheer years of experience.

Their track record is impressive so maybe Carol Danvers will be at least an above average character.

Xiaoki

These two are kinda a package deal. They always work together.

Havent seen Mississippi Grind but Half Nelson was a very good Ryan Gossling movie. They also did Sugar from 2008.

Hadn't heard of these directors before, but their track record seems super solid, and Marvel generally seems to know what they're doing, including with slightly-less-known directors.

Skilled directors and an awesome lead, hopefully they can find a story worth telling to finish that puzzle.

Fair to say at this point they're not interested in doing that at the Marvel factory. Might as well build a robot to direct the rest of the movies.

Marvel's been making strides to eliminate the factory-esque approach of Phase 1 and 2, in Phase 3. The Creative Committee that infamously drove Edgar Wright off of Ant-Man has been completely dissolved. The directors they're hiring now are impressive up-and-coming auteurs like Ryan Coogler and Taika Waititi. Ike Perlmutter and his cheap-ass have been taken out of the picture. It really seems like Phase 3 is going to be Marvel's strongest batch of films yet.

Neoxon

Marvel's been making strides to eliminate the factory-esque approach of Phase 1 and 2, in Phase 3. The Creative Committee that infamously drove Edgar Wright off of Ant-Man has been completely dissolved. The directors they're hiring now are impressive up-and-coming auteurs like Ryan Coogler and Taika Waititi. Ike Perlmutter and his cheap-ass have been taken out of the picture. It really seems like Phase 3 is going to be Marvel's strongest batch of films yet.
FTFY. And yeah, Marvel Studios is really going ham for Phase 3.

Not familiar with either of them so I'll reserve judgment.
I was kinda hoping for a big name for the Captain Marvel movie but I guess that's never really been the Marvel method aside from a couple of exceptions.

Treverrow has been making films since 02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom