• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captchas are the worst thing in this planet since Hitler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LUdnj.jpg

Tuck

I was tempted to make this thread the other day. They're annoying as fuck. The second word is almost never legible.

Cheerilee

It's already been said, but with reCaptcha you are shown 2 different images and you only have to get the "known" one "correct". The other image is "unknown" and any answer is acceptable. It's usually pretty obvious which image is known and which is unknown.

If your answer for the "known" image is "correct", then your answer for the "unknown" image is trusted and saved. Once that unknown image gets a lot of the same answers, it becomes known, with that as the answer.

The problem with reCaptcha is that everything is illegible shit now, and the spammers have beaten it anyway. A lot of the "known" words have wrong answers because spammers used automate tools to guess at them. This is why you can type the known word in correctly and have the thing tell you "LOL NOPE" - spammers have poisoned the database by using automate tools that guessed the same answer for a given unknown image hundreds or thousands of times, while getting the right answer for the known image up to 60% of the time.

Just use the audio option for blind people. I've never had a problem with it (though it looks like others have).

AFAIK, the default internet answer for unintelligible gibberish is "p
enis
" (proposed by 4chan, of course).

So if you see two words that are both gibberish, then you should assume that the computer has learned that one of those words means "p
enis
" and is using that as the control word, but you don't know which of the two gibberish words is the control, so you have no choice but to guess "p
enis
p
enis
".

If you're wrong in your assumption that the computer was taught to recognize "p
enis
", you'll just fail the check and have to do another, but if you're right, you'll ever-so-slightly help to continue the spread of corruption.

Anustart

I was tempted to make this thread the other day. They're annoying as fuck. The second word is almost never legible.

There's a reason one word is usually legible and the other is hard to read. It's set up to try and get people to figure out what the illegible word is because the OCR couldn't recognize it either. It uses the first word that it does know as a judge to see if people are answering honestly, then uses majority consensus to figure out the second word.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While I think ReCaptcha is a pretty great idea, I agree that it has gone too far. It really pisses me off when the words are distorted beyond recognition (they are intentionally distorted by the way; that's not how messed up the scanned text really is). The point is to present something that a computer couldn't read but a human could, so why are you showing me something no human could possibly get right save for a lucky guess?! So damn annoying.

Septimius

Seriously why is one word readable with no problem but the other word looks like it fucked itself inside and out. Trying to figure this shit out when already stressed from job searching only makes it more stressful.

iQJJ9U3fL1G4p.jpg

I mean what in the fuck is this?

When there are two words, you're doing re-captcha. One of the words is a word you need to get right, the other is one you're doing to help society.

Here's how it works:
You have book-reading machines that read and interpret old books and make them digital. Sometimes they can't understand what a word is. When they're a part of re-captcha, the word is sent out to random people. They distort it a bit more, so they know it can't be machine read, then they gather the responses. If a majority means a word is x, then they'll say "this was the word x" and send it back. So in this case, it seems one was just read wrong, so it is gibberish. Just reload, ffs.

Daigoro

When there are two words, you're doing re-captcha. One of the words is a word you need to get right, the other is one you're doing to help society.

Here's how it works:
You have book-reading machines that read and interpret old books and make them digital. Sometimes they can't understand what a word is. When they're a part of re-captcha, the word is sent out to random people. They distort it a bit more, so they know it can't be machine read, then they gather the responses. If a majority means a word is x, then they'll say "this was the word x" and send it back. So in this case, it seems one was just read wrong, so it is gibberish. Just reload, ffs.

if they need to distort the word more, so that other machines cant read the word, why dont they invest in some of these other machines? obviously their book reading machines arent up to snuff. ffs.

mclem

AFAIK, the default internet answer for unintelligible gibberish is "p
enis
" (proposed by 4chan, of course).

So if you see two words that are both gibberish, then you should assume that the computer has learned that one of those words means "p
enis
" and is using that as the control word, but you don't know which of the two gibberish words is the control, so you have no choice but to guess "p
enis
p
enis
".

If you're wrong in your assumption that the computer was taught to recognize "p
enis
", you'll just fail the check and have to do another, but if you're right, you'll ever-so-slightly help to continue the spread of corruption.

Or you could just hit reload and get one that's decipherable.

I have encountered a few reCaptchas that have been impossible to transcribe; I'll grant you that. I have never encountered a reCaptcha that I felt failed me incorrectly when trying to reproduce it. I'm not convinced this corruption is particularly widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom