• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carpe Fulgur news Chantelise out this month, Fortune Summoners localization announced

tiff

Banned
weeaboo said:
This guys need to localize Sengoku Rance and put it on Steam
I don't know if that's really CF's territory, haha.

Valve wouldn't allow it anyway.

faridmon

If anything, I am really really happy about the succsess the localisation team have with theses indie games. Bring it I say.

weeaboo

tiff said:
I don't know if that's really CF's territory, haha.

Valve wouldn't allow it anyway.

It will happen someday and it will be beautiful. Imagine all the posibilities, there's a huge market outside waiting :p

SpaceDrake said:
Mmmmm... sorta. If you count games like Zelda II and the original Ys III (Wanderers From Ys) as "early Metroidvanias", then it is; the game is basically a branch of that evolution of ARPGs, as opposed to the pure "find upgrades, no levels" approach to Metroid. There's a few areas where you gain abilities based on plot, but most are based on level or are inherent from the start. It's more about the innate abilities of your party members, and later on using them in concert to do stuff.

It's really, really good. I can't wait to get the demo out there.

Oh shi! Yeah, I loved Zelda II
zOqDG.png

DiscoJer said:
It was made by 3 people? That's incredible!

SpaceDrake said:
You want a bigger mindfuck?

Aside from the character portraits and maybe the music (I'm unclear on this one), everything in Fortune Summoners is the work of one man. Lizsoft is really mostly a one-man band, and he's incredible at what he does.

These dudes are going to be racking in some serious cash when these games are released. All of the developer profit going to one or three people.

redlemon

Great to hear Chantalise is coming out this month. I bought Recettear in the steam sale during Christmas but I still haven't played it. Might as well play Chantalise first since now since it's the older game.

Yaska said:
Great news! Been waiting for Chantelise for quite a while!

Yeah, I know. I am seriously going to be murdered in my bed by angry fans if we don't get that out by the end of the month.

Tempy said:
Any plans for Steam achievements?

Those take quite a bit of code work, and this is our first time working with MEL and Lizsoft, so not at release. If the game is popular enough, it's something we definitely want to discuss though (and since MEL doesn't have a huge project he's in the middle of already, it won't be quite so delayed as the Recettear ones, hopefully).

Veal

Aren't they localizing Vanguard Princess? I generally don't like the all girl fighting games, but this one is pretty dern good.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That would be a bit strange since I don't think Vanguard Princess really requires a translation. Netcode patch was made by some of the English community as well so the most important thing here is the fightan.

Veal said:
Aren't they localizing Vanguard Princess? I generally don't like the all girl fighting games, but this one is pretty dern good.

That's not us, that's just the dudes we shared a panel with at AnimeExpo. There's been a fair amount of confusion about that.
emot-v.gif

Veal

SpaceDrake said:
That's not us, that's just the dudes we shared a panel with at AnimeExpo. There's been a fair amount of confusion about that.
emot-v.gif
Ah cool coo! Thanks for clearing that up!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fortune Summoners sounds extremely interesting, I look forward to what Carpe Fulgur will be releasing in the future.

Rarutos

Definitely Day 1 for both games for me! I loved Recettear (Especially because of it's slight Atelier flavor), and I definitely want to continue to support Carpe Fulgur as much as I can! :)

Fortune Summoners looks like great fun! And I'll probably enjoy Chantelise as well! I can't wait!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Incredible. I will be preordering both of them.

I'm really hoping CF goes after Cloud Save and Achievements in the future. Especially with what Valve is doing with their summer camp promotion, I would LOVE to see one of these games featured as a future potato or ticket.. you get OCD guys buying the game for these and then if they get hooked (as they should) they are likely to click on that publisher link and find the other games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Fortune Summoners looks very Wonder Boy-esque (minus the boy, but when's that ever stopped anyone?). All over this shit.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
@MUWANdo said:
Fortune Summoners looks very Wonder Boy-esque (minus the boy, but when's that ever stopped anyone?). All over this shit.
I thought the same thing when I saw it and it made me very.. very.. happy.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I thought the same thing when I saw it and it made me very.. very.. happy.

Between Shantae and Monster Tale on DS, the impending official Monster World IV translation/release and now Fortune Summoners it's been a good time to be a Wonder Boy fan. (It'd be an even better time if Sega brought the series back for 3DS or XBLA or something, though. Just sayin'.)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
@MUWANdo said:
Between Shantae and Monster Tale on DS, the impending official Monster World IV translation/release and now Fortune Summoners it's been a good time to be a Wonder Boy fan.
I need to pick up Monster Tale!

@MUWANdo said:
(It'd be an even better time if Sega brought the series back for 3DS or XBLA or something, though. Just sayin'.)
Only if Westone developed and Sega had less than zero input on it. Otherwise, I'd rather is rest in peace. Sega is poison.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Honestly, Monster Tale's not that great - the world is fairly empty with zero secrets, and the amount of backtracking is absolutely ludicrous - but the Wonder Boy influence is undeniable and was enough to carry me through to the end.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
@MUWANdo said:
Honestly, Monster Tale's not that great - the world is fairly empty with zero secrets, and the amount of backtracking is absolutely ludicrous - but the Wonder Boy influence is undeniable and was enough to carry me through to the end.
Noted, I'll keep an eye on it if I see for sale.

Performing a bit of a necro as I realized I forgot to answer a question or two.
emot-v.gif

Flying_Phoenix said:
SpaceDrake, are you still having Japanese developers left and right asking you people to localize their games?

It's funny, there was actually an Japanese indie dev at AnimeExpo pushing the English version of his own game. He told us that he was quite familiar with us, wanted to talk to us (we ended up discussing a bunch of stuff over a period of over an hour and a half), and toward the end he let us know that there are a lot of folks in Japan who want to talk to us as we "accomplished the impossible", in his words.

This August's trip to Comiket is gonna be interesting.

Also I somehow think we won't be doing Sengoku Rance anytime soon.
emot-v.gif

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh.

yeah i'm gonna skip the demo and go straight into buying it on steam

SD I hope you don't get fucked over again like Recettear's "recettear + 4 other games" deal. the alone sale was really helpful but that package deal screwed you guys :(

edit- linking a video for the hype train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueI16mg8-lE

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Chantelise looks pretty snazzy. I've played a decent amount of Recettear and quite enjoyed it. I'm hell bent on paying off Recette's debt without having to restart, but it's gonna be tight! Chantelise seems it'll be pretty good fun for some hacking and / or slashing.

Any chance of any Carpe Fulgur's projects taking advantage of Steam cloud saves somewhere down the line?

Mr Nash said:
Any chance of any Carpe Fulgur's projects taking advantage of Steam cloud saves somewhere down the line?
That's up to the original developers implementing it.

I think it's been discussed but ultimately seen as not strictly needed, so not a priority (same goes for achievements).

More specifically, this:

SpaceDrake said:
Those take quite a bit of code work, and this is our first time working with MEL and Lizsoft, so not at release. If the game is popular enough, it's something we definitely want to discuss though (and since MEL doesn't have a huge project he's in the middle of already, it won't be quite so delayed as the Recettear ones, hopefully).

LuchaShaq

Banned
I really enjoyed the idea of recettear but not the dungeon gameplay. I like the idea but again zelda esque gameplay 2d or 3d just turns me off more than almost any type of gameplay.

matmanx1

I'm going to download the demo today. Finally have a day off of work so I get to do some catch up on things I've wanted to do for several days. I'm looking forward to trying this out!

squall23 said:
Nobody beats Pixel as the one man uber game maker.

I dunno, Fortune Summoners may give it a run for its money. The game looks amazing for some reason.

Anyway I finished the Chantelise demo. The game oddly enough reminds me of Megaman Legends... at least the boss fight did since I was blasting it with water magic which resembled the buster shot. It was also surprisingly hard (or I just suck). I had to replay the ruins 3 times. First time I died before the boss. Upgraded my HP to 60 and bought gloves and a shield. Then I died at the boss. Then I almost died at the boss but checked out a treasure chest which had a ham sandwich which gave me all my HP back. I think a big problem was the boss's jumping attack. If I was locked on my dodge move wouldn't get me out of the way.

Definitely going to buy it at preorder/full price.

tiff

Banned
Oh, I didn't know there was a store in the town. Guess trying to run through the ruins stock wasn't such a good idea.

Neither of these look as good as Recettear :(

Fortune Summoners looks like it will at least be fun, though. I played up to the town in the Chantelise demo and did not like the way it felt at all.

tiff

Banned
Oh, ahaha, it was
the house you sleep in
, right? I saw that and went "Oh, item shop, just like Recettear!" and didn't realize HEY YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BUY SOME THINGS HERE NOW.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I played up to the town in the Chantelise demo and did not like the way it felt at all.
Yeah, it was smart of EGS to switch to a Zelda-like top-down perspective in Recettear because that's much better than trying to work the camera in Chantelise, from what I've played.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Neither of these look as good as Recettear :(

Fortune Summoners looks like it will at least be fun, though. I played up to the town in the Chantelise demo and did not like the way it felt at all.

To me Fortune Summoners looks like it has the potential to rival Cave Story as best indie game ever.

Yeah Chantelise doesn't look as good as Recettear. The camera is kind of a hassle at times even if you use a gamepad.

Also this is just a minor annoyance: I set X to be Jump and Square to be attack. However, this also means that Square is confirm and X is cancel. I'm used to having X be jump/confirm and I want Circle as cancel. There doesn't seem to be anyway to set that up via the config menu though.

Oh and I am predicting that
the fortune teller is the girl who summons the first boss
because that seems really obvious.

Gvaz

Banned
Fortune Summoners at first was like:

"oh hey this looks like something i would have played when I was 12. I'd pay the amount of money I'd have at 12 for it" *cobwebs appear in wallet*

Then I noticed what looks like coop and instantly got interested.

Chantelise though...it just looks like a dungeon crawler with the same clunky unfun mechanic as in recettear. I'm not ashamed to say I was having such frustration with that it almost made me quit recettear, until I used Cheat Engine to give your dude inf hp in the dungeon so I could just press attack and spam magic so I could get items to get to the good part of the game.

That being said, I don't see either of these games being as successful as Recettear. Recettear has innovation, these two....

Territorie looks interesting, but somehow the UI strikes me as clunky, and if it's not about claiming territories from other dudes and the lands having bonuses from holding it ala Warhammer 40k: Dark Crusade or similar games, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Gvaz said:
Fortune Summoners at first was like:

"oh hey this looks like something i would have played when I was 12. I'd pay the amount of money I'd have at 12 for it" *cobwebs appear in wallet*

Then I noticed what looks like coop and instantly got interested.

[...]

Territorie looks interesting, but somehow the UI strikes me as clunky, and if it's not about claiming territories from other dudes and the lands having bonuses from holding it ala Warhammer 40k: Dark Crusade or similar games, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Fortune Summoners, alas, lacks a co-op option. It has a party, but the other two members are AI controlled.

And Territoire plays in the tradition of Civ-style 4X games more than anything else. It isn't an RTS.

Top Bottom