• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

allegate said:
Does anyone watch The Mentalist? They're very similar shows. So similar in fact that the 'dead person in coffin' trick from a few weeks ago was in last weeks Mentalist. Watching it I was thinking, "man, they just did this gag" but then I realized it was Castle who did it. Made me realize that except for the darkness inherent to The Mentalist, they are basically the same show.

I don't like how they've backed down from Castle helping out according with research he's done for past books, or having a contact on the inside somewhere; Now it's just like he's a police officer in training.
The Mentalist is just a bigger budgeted broadcast version of "Psych" but with less snark. Both are still fun shows.

As for Castle being more like a cop in training, that has always kind of bugged me. At first it was fine, but now I always think "why would they let a civilian in on so many interrogations and cases? Wouldnt this actually harm their case in court in the end?"

But then I stop thinking that, because the show is just supposed to be silly fun.

Somnia said:
2 more episodes ordered by ABC for season 3 which brings the total up to 24 for this season now.

source

Fantastic. It's a good thing, too; considering that they haven't had a break for reruns yet this season, I was worried that the new episodes would dry up too soon.

celebi23

PhoncipleBone said:
I think you missed the memo I posted in the Chuck thread. It is no longer Chuck day, but Yvonne Night.
How about Yvonne & Stana Night instead?

PhoncipleBone said:
Aaaaaand we have another show acting as an ad for Windows Phone 7.

Yeah, Microsoft is really pushing Windows 7 :lol Oh & I'm loving tonight's episode so far :D

celebi23 said:
How about Yvonne & Stana Night instead?

Yeah, Microsoft is really pushing Windows 7 :lol Oh & I'm loving tonight's episode so far :D
Stana does nothing for me honestly. After watching this I am firing up series 5 of Doctor Who, so it will be a Karen Gilan night too. All my wife gets is Nathan Fillion.

And Lyle Lovett is on tonight too? Awesome again.

Shadow780

Ripclawe said:
what was the reference Castle made after he talked mandarin and said it was from a show he watched?

deal_firefly.jpg

It made me chuckle, and immediately sad :(

It's amazing how this show effortlessly darts back and forth between comedy and seriousness, and manages to succeed at both.

My personal favorite part of the series is the numerous inside jokes, from the Firefly references, to the Jersey Shore nod a few weeks back, to today's X-Files episode... I'm sure there are plenty I haven't even caught or have forgotten. Anyone have a good list of all the inside jokes on the series so far?

Kryten

There's too many to list! The only one that makes me a bit mad is casting Patricia Tallman (B5's Lyta Alexander) as a murdered psychic and not having a B5 shout out (or her in the credits, wtf I know she was dead but COME ON). That episode did give us the double rainbow reference though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So-so episode.

- Lyle Lovett was awful, and horribly miscast. He slept through all his scenes and wasn't believable as a shadowy intelligence officer at all.
- After making fun of the CSI-esque "zoom and enhance" image manipulation this week, Castle turns around and does it via tapping into perfect, high-res security cam feeds of someone's face ~10 seconds after they have been located.
-Win7 ad so blatant.
-I know Castle shouldn't be judged on "realism" but it strains even this show's credibility that the agent had no qualms with Castle tagging along at the end. The whole situation is a blatant national security leak.

- In fact, along those same lines, the whole episode falls apart if you think about it for more than 5 seconds. They were secretly surveilling Castle & Becket, drugged them, interrogated them, etc. But then the dude is happy to waltz right into the police station when asked? Ugh.

- On the plus side, the Firefly reference was great.
- One other little moment I liked was when Ryan asked if those were hickeys on their neck. He gets three different answers, says "...whatever" and then moves into his dialogue.

GDJustin

EPIC episode this week. Probably one of my favorites of the whole series.

- Central mystery unfolded nicely. Sometimes it's too early or too slow.
- Piano man at the end.
- Alexis in that T-shirt at the beginning. Not gonna lie I was like "fuuuuu"

The best thing though is that the underground tunnel stuff seems specifically geared towards a slightly geekier audience. Castle does stuff like this a LOT, and I've been picking up on it a lot more this season. The show is clearly written by a nerdier crew and it shows through in great ways sometimes.

- Firefly references.
- The simulated "spy game" episode from last season.
- The comic book episode.

Other procedurals might do a "comic book killer" episode but use the opportunity to make fun of the subject matter. Castle always treats it with respect.

Unfortunately this episode of Castle was its lowest rated of the season. It was actually the 2nd lowest ratings in the history of the show, only ahead of some random S1 ep. I know it just came back from hiatus, but was there something else going on, this week? It's weird - it's not part of a downward trend. Castle has been doing fine all season and then bam - randomly 3M less people tune in.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
GDJustin said:
Unfortunately this episode of Castle was its lowest rated of the season. It was actually the 2nd lowest ratings in the history of the show, only ahead of some random S1 ep. I know it just came back from hiatus, but was there something else going on, this week? It's weird - it's not part of a downward trend. Castle has been doing fine all season and then bam - randomly 3M less people tune in.

The week off messed me up... I always DVR (not sure how that affects ratings) but most of the time I watch it live.

The show being off for several weeks, and not much promotion happening certainly played into the lower ratings. And since tons of shows are already on a holiday hiatus that adds even more to it.

jred2k

I haven't seen ratings for Skating with the Stars, but I can't imagine its nearly as good a lead-in as DWTS.

jred2k said:
I haven't seen ratings for Skating with the Stars, but I can't imagine its nearly as good a lead-in as DWTS.
One of the lowest rated shows on a major network. Only gets a 1 in the 18-49 demographic.

GDJustin

Well knowing it had such a shit lead in this week makes me feel a little better about the ratings.

But in another way, it makes me feel *worse*. It sort of indicates that Castle owes its success to DWtS, doesn't it? 10-11M with Dancing as the lead-in, 7.5M with Skating as the lead-in. Apparently 1.9 is what Castle can pull in on its own, without any outside help.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
GDJustin said:
Well knowing it had such a shit lead in this week makes me feel a little better about the ratings.

But in another way, it makes me feel *worse*. It sort of indicates that Castle owes its success to DWtS, doesn't it? 10-11M with Dancing as the lead-in, 7.5M with Skating as the lead-in. Apparently 1.9 is what Castle can pull in on its own, without any outside help.

But remember it just came of a break... not everyone keeps up with when shows are doing stuff like that. I wonder how many people thought the season might be over. I wondered if it was... :lol

Somnia

Ya there was no explanation on a break, no idea on a return, theres no new episode next week. It's all over the place. ABC needs to advertise their breaks and returns better.

Hilarious episode last night. I can't believe they got the word "meta" into the script, and the whole scene with them looking at "Creepy Beckett" through the glass was :lol

Shadow780

I hope Beckett clone comes back, this episode was hilarious. :lol

Also love every time Beckett does her "annoyed" look, that tug of the chin and look away is funny in a subtle way.

CougRon

Dammit, what the heck?!? My DVR didn't record the episode tonight. Second Castle episode in a row. Delved into my dvr's history and all it says is that it was 'cancelled by the system' This is not cool man, it's real hard to watch tv-episodes at work.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Awesome episode, Holy shit, so good.

The clone Beckett was just hilarious, she really did a great job. Hopefully we see her return.

mclem

ThLunarian said:
Okay episode.

What was the song that the piano guy played early in the episode that prompted Castle to tip him?

I'm not certain, but I think it was the his own theme, which he's hummed to himself a few times.

CougRon said:
Dammit, what the heck?!? My DVR didn't record the episode tonight. Second Castle episode in a row. Delved into my dvr's history and all it says is that it was 'cancelled by the system' This is not cool man, it's real hard to watch tv-episodes at work.
HULU

ivysaur12 said:
Good news:

Castle has been given an early renewal for a fourth season!

He's been renewed for Castle as many times as he's been canceled (Firefly, Miss Matched and Drive)
Excellent. Very entertaining show. I love the banter between the characters, especially Ryan and Esposito are often hilarious.

I liked the last episode quite a lot, the interactions between real- and fake Beckett were hilarious. Also: "Is Castle gay?" :lol

Hairtux

GDJustin said:
Excellent news! Somewhat surprising, though. I'm a big Castle fan but ratings-wise it has always been a little bit of a bubble show, for ABC. Certainly not complaining, though. :D

Not really, Castle has been performing very well in its timeslot. There was an episode in season 2 that had ABCs highest rating for the timeslot in like 15 years. Not surprised to see it renewed because ratings are great and it just so happens to be a good show. If I flip between this and say, one of the CSIs, I can't understand how CSI is still on the air. Those shows are horrible.

Top Bottom