• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, the local co-op.

As far as I can tell, only Player 1 has control of the camera. And there's no splitscreen. So basically, your whole party has to stick pretty close together. Unless of course you have a BIG TV, or really good eyesight. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seraphis Cain said:
So, the local co-op.

As far as I can tell, only Player 1 has control of the camera. And there's no splitscreen. So basically, your whole party has to stick pretty close together. Unless of course you have a BIG TV, or really good eyesight. :lol

Sounds like something that should be easy to patch in! LoL.

I wish they would... I'd play it a lot more. Always expected the constrictivness, to be honest...

Toki767

Rewrite said:
I bought this, but fuck man...the DLC section is already huge. Those prices are ridiculous.
Yeah...it's almost $50 for everything. I'm gonna wait for DLC to go on sale to get them. If I'm still playing this by then.

Wow... my audio works in any other game, why the hell isn't it working with this one? It's dead silent. I have surround + optical, tried doing other settings like Stereo or Pro Logic but really I normally have it set to auto. Hmmm.. wtf.

The thing thats bugging me about this game is if you buy all the downloadable content its around $28 (I dont remember the exact break down of each pack) plus the $15 for the game and your paying $43 for a game composed of mostly reused assets from games at least 10yrs old and its a downloadable title. I could buy a PS3 HD collection title for that ammount of money and get a lot more gameplay for what I'm spending. Don't mean to rant but the content and game seem way over priced.

There really is just no value in buying this to me. Maybe if the game goes on sale for 7.99 and the DLC goes half off but otherwise I guess I'm gonna pass. Also while I feel disc games should not have day one DLC neither should digital titles, I mean its not like they ran out of space....

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The value to me despite playing most of the older Castlevanias is that this game is a loot whore, grind it out game with cool sprites. I'm not even buying the DLC.

The only shame is I fear the community will be too small.
Shame that Konami killed it with the timed exclusive BS.

OnPoint

The levels are actually awesome. I bought them for the 360 when they went on sale.

But the characters? It's just far too much money for them.

zewone

dallow_bg said:
The value to me despite playing most of the older Castlevanias is that this game is a loot whore, grind it out game with cool sprites. I'm not even buying the DLC.

The only shame is I fear the community will be too small.
Shame that Konami killed it with the timed exclusive BS.
That's too bad. The DLC maps/loot/characters are a lot of fun.

Fuma especially, although I wish he had more loot, he is awesome.

But the cost for everything is quite a lot.

Oh yeah, just to make sure. The only DLC character I actually used was Fuma. I wouldn't buy the others.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, I'm definitely going to end up buying everything for this game. Konami's totally got my number.

Loving the hell out of it so far. Though I just wish that A. Konami hadn't released it a mere week before Dark Souls, and B. They didn't release all the DLC day one. Stretching the DLC out over a period of time would have kept the game alive longer.

Only thing I'm worried about is how segmented the community is going to be thanks to all the day 1 DLC.

Granted I'm not going to miss playing through Chapter VI Hard over and over again until Drac drops something decent but you're gonna have a difficult time convincing anyone to play older chapters when all the cool stuff is locked away behind DLC.

Bought most of the 360 version DLC(except Chapter 7, Yoko, and Julius), but that's mostly because MS points are far easier to come by.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
zewone said:
That's too bad. The DLC maps/loot/characters are a lot of fun.

Fuma especially, although I wish he had more loot, he is awesome.

But the cost for everything is quite a lot.

Oh yeah, just to make sure. The only DLC character I actually used was Fuma. I wouldn't buy the others.
Oh, I just meant I'm not buying it right now and that I'm sure I could have a lot of fun with the base game.

I can already tell though I'll want the new levels when I get to that point.

So about the different characters. Are there big differences as far as how they play, the items they can equip?
The game has a good amount of characters already so I was wondering if it's more than just different sprites.

abq

There are quite big differences in how the characters play and "level up". Some get stronger by grinding for gear, others by levelling up or collecting spells.

zewone

The Belmonts all play very similar, but the different sub-weapons and specials they have set them apart.

I wasn't too fond of them, so I didn't really play as them, but I know that from watching others there are shortcuts that Julius could take that the others couldn't . I'm sure there are other differences, but I don't have enough experience with them.

I put the most time in with Soma, followed by Alucard, Shanoa, and Fuma.

Skilletor

OnPoint said:
Sadly no. Meaning me and my GF have to take turns when playing. It sucks.

Okay, just making sure. If it had it, I don't know why I would have skipped.

PSN version has local coop? How many players?

Wonko_C

dallow_bg said:
4 local, 6 online

only 4 local? that's weird considering you can connect up to 7 controllers on the PS3. Not like I have more than 2 PS3 controllers laying around anyway.

Okay looks like I'm going to be up and running on the PSN version.

If anyone is looking for help starting out, a competent partner, or somebody to grind weapon levels give me a ring.

PSN ID: PepsimanVsJoe

dallow_bg said:
So about the different characters. Are there big differences as far as how they play, the items they can equip?
The game has a good amount of characters already so I was wondering if it's more than just different sprites.

I have written guides for all characters including their perks and specific equipment.
You can find them here.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I just downloaded this last night on PSN. Stayed up way too late trying to beat Dracula with some people. Lots of fun.

Please invite me to the PSN chat: vampiredon.

I'm on this version too, was a vet of the X360 version. GT/PSN ID is InfiniDragon615, don't have a PS3 headset since I rarely play it online though (even though with 3S and this that may change).

Teppic

Seraphis Cain said:
So, the local co-op.

That doesn't sound good. From what I remember, there's too many ways to get separated, and having the characters and enemies shrink to nothing would make the game pretty hard to play. The should split the screen if you got separated to far, that would have been perfect.

At least the game will have free online.

Vrakanox said:
My PSN ID is Vrakanox. Hopefully i'll have time to be playing a lot. Maybe logging in in a couple hours. No headset as of now.

You don't really need a headset for this game. The text wheel is one of the best parts about this game, hands down. It's really awesome and hilarious at times.

I don't know how it is on PSN yet, but on XBL everyone always says "Hello!" at the start of a match and some hilarious conversations using the wheels can ensue.

Alucard: *Dies*
Julius: Good Work.
Alucard: Thank you.

Gameboy415

I'm definitely going to get this game eventually now that the PS3 version is finally out, but the nickel-and-dime-ing of the DLC makes me want to wait for a sale/bundle discount.
I was hoping the main game would have a PS+ discount at the very least. :(

And a bit OT:
Tremis said:
Welcome to Konami DLC. JuBeat for Iphone is 4$ for 4 songs right now. So stupid.
There's finally a home version of JuBeat?!?
I think I might have to give in and pick up an i-device.

Okay make that hard difficulty.
Ran hard difficulty Chapter 7 and found some okay junk.
I really REALLY need Winged boots but I'll need some partners before I can take that on.

Also picked up an Astral Ring so I can start on Survival mode grinding.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gameboy415 said:
I'm definitely going to get this game eventually now that the PS3 version is finally out, but the nickel-and-dime-ing of the DLC makes me want to wait for a sale/bundle discount.
I was hoping the main game would have a PS+ discount at the very least. :(

And a bit OT:

There's finally a home version of JuBeat?!?
I think I might have to give in and pick up an i-device.
He said iPhone but I think Jubeat is iPad only.

Top Bottom