• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Seraphis Cain said:
So, the local co-op.

As far as I can tell, only Player 1 has control of the camera. And there's no splitscreen. So basically, your whole party has to stick pretty close together. Unless of course you have a BIG TV, or really good eyesight. :lol
Is there a bounding "edge" on the map? Meaning if player 2 tries to walk away from player 1 are they they able to go off the screen (similar to Tails in Sonic 2&3)?

This is a big deal breaker for me.

Toki767

InsertNameHere said:
Last night was fun.

Got crushed trying to run hard mode on my own though, haha.
I farmed chapter 7 hard mode for a bit. I made it to like 3 chests before I died. Just getting into the pyramid was hard already. On the bright side I walked away with a Longinus to go with Soma's RPG.

How is the online community for this game? I really want to give it a try but I'm a bit put off by all the stories I've heard of booting from games because of not playing as a certain character or for other various random reasons. Basically I don't want to get deeply involved with a fun game only to have it ruined by people with a childish attitude.

Toki767

Kamen Rider Prism said:
How is the online community for this game? I really want to give it a try but I'm a bit put off by all the stories I've heard of booting from games because of not playing as a certain character or for other various random reasons. Basically I don't want to get deeply involved with a fun game only to have it ruined by people with a childish attitude.
I don't think there is any random play so you pretty much have to play with either friends or GAF/other communities.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toki767 said:
I don't think there is any random play so you pretty much have to play with either friends or GAF/other communities.

Huh? I've played plenty with random groups. And they've all been pretty cool, too.

Toki767

Seraphis Cain said:
Huh? I've played plenty with random groups. And they've all been pretty cool, too.
Oh, now that I think about it everytime I've played online it was through invites instead of quick matches.

OnPoint

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Is there a bounding "edge" on the map? Meaning if player 2 tries to walk away from player 1 are they they able to go off the screen (similar to Tails in Sonic 2&3)?

This is a big deal breaker for me.

I'm curious about this as well

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Seraphis Cain said:

The players are cool, but we're all noobs! On the bright side, I am pretty good at predicting Dracula's movements from fighting him so much, except for those stupid rainbow triangles of death. He always gets me while I'm right underneath him, and it's usually a one shot death.

zewone

Kamen Rider Prism said:
That's more for the 360 since it's been out for awhile. You pretty much have to be a pro at this point if you want to stay in a room.

Wallachia

Just started last nite, as Alucard on single-player.. I guess my expectations were low because I am really impressed so far! The level designs are hot, and the fact you can still build up your character weapons and items. Also noticed alot of unlockable things you can buy off PSN, like music, characters, and maps. Meesa like a dis.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Q to the people in the chatroom: Are you guys all using full keyboards? You type so fast even while playing... I can't keep up.

Toki767

LeCapitan said:
Q to the people in the chatroom: Are you guys all using full keyboards? You type so fast even while playing... I can't keep up.
I was using the chatpad last night. First time I got a chance to use it too.

Lucentto

Banned
I'm not sure if I should get this, DLC kind of scared me away, but I have a question. I heard that if a person online picks a character that you didn't buy the DLC for, they will show up as a skeleton. Is that true?

Toki767

Lucentto said:
I'm not sure if I should get this, DLC kind of scared me away, but I have a question. I heard that if a person online picks a character that you didn't buy the DLC for, they will show up as a skeleton. Is that true?
Nope. I've played with Marias and Fumas and Simons and they were there fine.

frequency

How does this compare to the DS Castlevania games? I absolutely love those and have really been craving more.

Someone asked earlier about the community but I'm not sure s/he was answered clearly. Would people kick you for playing weaker characters? My favorite of the DS games was Portrait of Ruin (just barely above OoE) so... Apparently I'd be playing one of the weaker characters in the game.

The price and DLC and stuff is a bummer but this seems like one of those games where if I don't get in early I may as well just forget about ever playing multiplayer.

OnPoint

frequency said:
How does this compare to the DS Castlevania games? I absolutely love those and have really been craving more.

Someone asked earlier about the community but I'm not sure s/he was answered clearly. Would people kick you for playing weaker characters? My favorite of the DS games was Portrait of Ruin (just barely above OoE) so... Apparently I'd be playing one of the weaker characters in the game.

The price and DLC and stuff is a bummer but this seems like one of those games where if I don't get in early I may as well just forget about ever playing multiplayer.

It's quite different. Stage-based time attack stages that are more about loot grabbing than exploration.

Here's my review of the XBLA version.

Maybe that will give you an idea on what you're looking at.

OnPoint

frequency said:
Time attack huh?
I'll read your review. Thanks!

Each level has a 30 minute time limit. You'll need to make sure you balance your exploration with how long you think the boss battle will take. If you run out of time, you lose.

I love it in multiplayer. It's a ton of fun.

Wallachia

frequency said:

Art and design wise, similiar, but better.. looks and animates nicely.. and ofcourse great music and sound..

Seraphis Cain (or anyone else), could you answer my question about the Co-op please? My purchase is hanging on it as I would really like to play this with my wife.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Seraphis Cain (or anyone else), could you answer my question about the Co-op please? My purchase is hanging on it as I would really like to play this with my wife.
I did see something in the option menu about "extra windows". I had thought that was meant for local play.

If no one answers, I'll try it out when I get home.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
frequency said:

The goals are different, but it plays the same.

Right now, everyone is new, so I've rarely even seen people getting kicked when a group is trying to do one of the later chapters and someone new comes in who needs the chapter before it. I assume this behavior won't last.

The DLC is outrageous, but from what I've seen the DLC characters are pretty lame. The only things I'd get are the levels... but I'm trying to hold out since they cost so much.

Toki767

It was definitely fun playing through chapters 1-6 with some of you last night. Even if Death kept killing us. At least Dracula went down in 3 tries though!

kiryogi

Banned
Last night was great, and now my Charlotte is now pretty decently powered up. Not ready for Hard yet, but can pretty much blast through normal. Honestly ended up with some great pickups from that run. Also, I ended up getting chapter 8/10 dlc, will get the rest tomorrow.

Toki767

My Soma is doing 70 damage per hit so I think we could probably farm Dracula/Death a bit easier now.

I really want to start using one of the females though. Shanoa seems pretty powerful. As does Charlotte since she can heal.

kiryogi

Banned
Toki767 said:
My Soma is doing 70 damage per hit so I think we could probably farm Dracula/Death a bit easier now.

I really want to start using one of the females though. Shanoa seems pretty powerful. As does Charlotte since she can heal.

Me and Lace were able to finally duo Drac, so we should all be good... You should check out chapter 10 though, it's crazy nostalgia and awesome. There's great gear to be had from chapters 8 and 10. You get upgrades for sunstone/moon stone in 8, while chap 10 features more higher drops that'd you get in hard. The R. spells are pretty killer for Charlotte too.

I started Soma finally as well last night, and hopefully Shanoa soon.

Is it me, or did they (finally) make the subweapon grind easier? I'm powering through it with Jonathan faster than usual, or at least it feels like it. Only have one Master Ring, to boot.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Oh man, I'm sorry, I didn't even see your other post. I'll check it now.

Okay, so what happens is the further apart the players are, the more the screen zooms out. There is no splitscreen whatsoever, though. Basically, the screen auto-zooms to fit all players on-screen.

zewone

Toki767 said:
Do bosses scale in difficulty with more people or do they just have more HP?
All enemies (including bosses) scale HP based on the amount of players.

Difficulty (boss patterns) are the same.

LProtag

Right now I'm just farming chests in stage 7 hard for equipment and stuff to sell. Trying to save up for a soul ring for my Soma so I can start farming souls easier.

Can't believe I'm buying all the DLC over again.

Oh well.

So many damn lousy players.
There are a billion resources out there for a game that's been out well over a year.
No reason for people to suck.

Number45

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Oh well.

There are a billion resources out there for a game that's been out well over a year.
Why would you need to read an external resource to play a Castlevania game? Understandable if you're looking to go for 100% (or whatever silly completion level this one has) I guess, but when I pick this up I'm just going to jump straight in. :/

LProtag

Just caved and got all the DLC levels because you're all buying them now, haha. Don't think I'm going to do the characters. Music might tempt me later.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Oh well.

I'm new and I refuse to look for info. Fuck that, I'd rather enjoy the game myself. Granted, my friends play with me, I don't play with randoms because of attitudes like the one you have.

I wonder how well this game is doing sales-wise? It's pretty rare that 14 people on my list at the same time are playing the same game. Especially a downloadable one.

Toki767 said:
Do bosses scale in difficulty with more people or do they just have more HP?

Their stats scale depending on the number of players but attack patterns remain the same---unless you're doing Chapter 10 or 11. In Chapter 10 The Count's pattern changes slightly if you have a lot of players. And in Chapter 11 the boss spams a lot more if theres a lot of players.

I've been playing this game for about a year now, got every piece of loot, here's a run of mine.

Ask me if you have any questions.

InsertNameHere said:
Just caved and got all the DLC levels because you're all buying them now, haha. Don't think I'm going to do the characters. Music might tempt me later.

You should have avoided Chapter 8. Nobody plays chapter 8 anymore on xbox for a reason.

frequency

DarknessTear said:
I'm new and I refuse to look for info. Fuck that, I'd rather enjoy the game myself. Granted, my friends play with me, I don't play with randoms because of attitudes like the one you have.

I wonder how well this game is doing sales-wise? It's pretty rare that 14 people on my list at the same time are playing the same game. Especially a downloadable one.
I agree with this person.

I don't have any friends with the game though... but I'll live. I struggled with going online and decided not to last night. I am afraid there's just going to be a bunch of jerks that expect people to be "pro" at a newly released game.

If you're looking for high level of play, wouldn't you go play on the 360? You can't expect people to do research for a damn game. There's a lot of fun to be had in figuring things out for yourself. It's the same reason a lot of people don't like following strategy guides. I hate when people expect you to make a hobby into a job.

Wallachia

Played last night with some teams. Got to Death's level. FUN STUFF! One group was all mic'd.. was fun, but sometimes irritating. Can you turn off the mic's in-game? I couldn't find..

I love the game mechanics so far. And someone was this weird ugly version of 8 bit Simon, swinging a sword and throwing japanese characters.. what a trip..

Top Bottom